Non-Aviation....JUST SOME PERSONAL ADVICE...Please read

Kip Powick

COVERSATION 23 MARCH 2021 AT LOCAL HOSPITAL.... in a curtained-off gurney next to me

“I’m sorry, I don’t have any good news.”

“Why? What is the problem?” she said

“You have three tumors, two small ones and then a large one that I couldn’t even get the scope by”, he said. He continued, “That is probably why you have recently been taking laxatives everyday”.

There was crying

He said, “You will need a CAT scan to see if any thing else has been affected and  you will need surgery and that could be in three or four weeks”

More crying…

He went on about making phone calls and arranging surgery and finished by saying “Let’s hope for the best”.

More crying

About 10 minutes later the lady passed in front of my curtained stall and I would estimate she was in her mid 50’s early 60’s…

Some of you may remember back in 2011 when I posted a long piece called C C and Me. Long story short, I was found to have colon cancer, had surgery and dodged a bullet as it had not spread…no further medical service was required. I have had a colonoscopy every 5 years since and on the 23 March this year I got a clean bill of health. Dr wants to see me again in 5 years.

Why am I posting this??

Because I was stupid……I never had a colonoscopy until I was close to 70  because no man/lady was going to shove a “fire hose” up where it shouldn’t be. Post op..... I got on all my kids backs and thankfully they took my advice and now have a  colonoscopy scheduled  every 5 years.….

Please, please, if you have not had a scope check and you are over 45, please get it done. You have no idea of the anguish and dread you feel when a Doctors says, “You have a tumour and hopefully it has not spread”. Fortunately, I had the best “winger” in the world back then and she propped me up and I made it through…

PS..Out here they use an anesthetic…best sleep you will ever have.?

• Like 1

Excellent post, Kip.  I’ve had two so far.  I’m 59.  Both good results.

Best sleep indeed.  Last thing I remember being asked pre-procedure: “How are you feeling?” “Bit drowsy....” I replied.

Next conscious thought: waking up in post-surgery.

Go get one. 

The prep (God awful juice) is worse than the scope. I was fortunate to be somewhat lucid and watched the monitor for a bit...weird to see your insides. Then I drifted off...it all seemed like a dream.

2 hours ago, JL said:

The prep (God awful juice) is worse than the scope. I was fortunate to be somewhat lucid and watched the monitor for a bit...weird to see your insides. Then I drifted off...it all seemed like a dream.

The Doctor I had this time changed the prep procedure.....My prep was two glasses of PURG ODAN. Each glass was 5 oz and wasn't bad tasting....sorta like lemonade.

Glass # 1  was taken  at 6:00pm the nite prior and things were calmed down by 10:30pm ,for me

Glass # 2 had to be taken 4 hours before arrival time at the hospital which in my case was scheduled for 9:00am..so I was up at 4:30am to take the second glass .

At the hospital I had one more kick at the "can" and that was the end. The report I got had the phrase, "good clean view" etc etc...

Nothing about a colonoscopy is a big deal...hang any pride and shyness  you may have at the doorway when you go in....You are just another body as far as the team is concerned.

Def. something all seniors (over 50) or so should look into. Another Major item is checking your Prostate.  I had volunteered to participate in a study of how vitamins might have a positive impact (reduction) on getting Cancer of the Prostate (I was 57), part of the work up was testing the current status of my prostate. Low and behold I was diagnosed with the cancer. I elected for the full blown Radical prostatectomy rather than Kemo.  For several years after the surgery I was tested (PSA Levels) and after 5 years it was decided that I was cancer free. So 19 years later all is well.  

Some think prostate cancer is limited to older men but while I was in hospital recovering from the surgery, my room mate (29 years old) was undergoing treatment for his prostate cancer.   

The following link will provide you with some information What is prostate cancer? - Canadian Cancer Society

When I was in for the post procedure de brief, I was looking at an photo image of something that looked like the end of a hot dog...the Dr. winked and said...

"to prove we were there!' 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JL said:

I find that if you add enough vodka to the prep it is quite bearable.

Last one I had I wasn't even drowsy, wheeled into a cubicle, got dressed and went home. A little disappointing really.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Kip Powick said:

shove a “fire hose” up

The operating room that I was in had a garden hose on a reel over on one wall.

After nearly 10 years I am still not sure if that was what they used or not.

29 minutes ago, Fido said:

The operating room that I was in had a garden hose on a reel over on one wall.

After nearly 10 years I am still not sure if that was what they used or not.

That was for washing down the gurney and  floor cause you didn't do a complete prep ?

• Like 1