Qantas pilot sues airline over trauma from engine incident

Think she'll win?

Jacinda Cottee, a former QantasLink pilot, filed a lawsuit against the Australian carrier for over $780,000 after a midflight engine failure she experienced led to post-traumatic stress disorder.

On March 10, 2018, Cottee was the first officer on domestic flight QF1799 from Alice Springs (ASP) to Brisbane (BNE), Australia. Shortly before landing, the Boeing 717 suffered an engine failure. The plane was powered by Rolls-Royce BR700

Witnesses on-board reported to local media The Courier-Mail they heard a “loud bang before the plane began to shake.” A passenger claimed they were told to brace, though Qantas refuted that claim. An investigation found damage to the compressor blades of the engine.

Cottee is now seeking $783,811 in damages and costs from QantasLink, after developing post-traumatic stress disorder that put an end to her career. She claims that the incident was due to a breach of safety from the carrier. “QantasLink breached their duty of care by failing to perform proper maintenance on the Boeing 717 aircraft,” her lawyer said in a statement, quoted by The Australian. “Ms. Cottee has been left with a psychological injury, leaving her unable to fly and pursue her dream career.”

Information available online shows that the Boeing 717 registered VH-NXQ entered the Brisbane maintenance facility on March 10, 2018, after performing flight QF1799. It re-entered service on March 22, 2018.

Qantas denied the incident was related to a maintenance issue. “The cause of the engine issue from the flight in March 2018 was investigated and Rolls-Royce determined it was a manufacturing fault and not related to maintenance,” a Qantas spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia. 

AeroTime News reached out to Jacinda Cottee’s lawyer for comment and did not receive any answer at the time of publication.

https://www.aerotime.aero/27465-qantas-pilot-lawsuit-airline-trauma-ptsd-engine-incident?fbclid=IwAR12c9jEsZmR9MKvLfF6hv0jNwh-I9Wb8yh35g7WDiwNCKEuIpz_CPyvluw

I think I am mostly sad for this individual.  If they think that is what ended their career, despite all of redundancy aboard the aircraft and the numerous simulator sessions practicing engine out, then there is probably another issue going unaddressed.

Can't imagine what CBs and heavy turbs must have been like for them.

Vs

Well it is 2021............they’ve finally grown up.....brought to you by the “every one gets a trophy” generation.....so anything’s  possible.

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1

I think I will sue her as I have developed PTSD from learning that u can get PTSD from an engine failure.  I did not know that. If it hadn’t been for her lawsuit, I would not have realized how traumatic an engine failure can be, and so she is to blame for my PTSD over her getting PTSD from an engine failure.  

Now, back under my blanked...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The more I learn the worse it looks.

Perhaps I really am into the jurassic nostalgia phase of life, but after successfully handling an abnormal (and who hasn't had a few), I usually felt a confidence boost that the aircraft and procedures worked.  Even if everything did not exactly line up with the checklist, there was enough there to work with and make an effective plan.

PTSD from a successful event that we have beaten into us at every sim? I keep looking for more to this story.  How did this pilot's partner fare?  No mention I could find of a CRM aspect. 

Vs

31 minutes ago, Vsplat said:

I keep looking for more to this story.  How did this pilot's partner fare?  No mention I could find of a CRM aspect. 

It would be so revealing to have a de-brief from the Capt of the flight. 

Of course PTSD is a person thing.  An event that might be shrugged off as insignificant by one person could be seen in a completely different light by someone else.

3 hours ago, seeker said:

There is a PPRUNE thread on this topic:

https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/639285-muppet-sues-qantas.html

(with some excellent and inciteful comments and others that....aren't either)

This one stands out from pprune 

“ If this person is successful in receiving even $1, this can set a very dangerous precedent “

Just imagine the ramifications worldwide...the piloting profession would be doomed because of one person who was obviously not qualified to do the job.

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2

I don't think I have ever suffered from PTSD but I could be wrong, but I do know people who suffer from it and the cause isn't nearly as important as the effect. Having grown up in aviation at a time when the acronym didn't exist, it's quite likely that the pilots (and controllers) I know who walked away from the career because of a "scary" event probably did suffer from it. But none of them sued their employer because of it.

IMHO, when one chooses this career path, one must accept that there are going to be events which get your attention. When that event is something which is rehearsed on a very regular basis both in training and SOPs, there should be an expectation that it "comes with the territory". If it turns out that the actual experience of said event is too much for me, that's not my employer's fault. This I do know, no amount of money would cure the folks I know who suffer from PTSD. 

• Thanks 1