Airline Rescue Plan

boestar

Seems the news is non-existent on the NAY vote to supporting the airline and travel sector.  Has anyone heard anything on this?

I hear that all except 1 Liberal voted against the plan.

Silence in the media though.

Do you mean the motion sponsored by Ed Fast (Conservative MP) a couple of weeks ago boestar?

I wonder if there was a reason why the Liberals voted it down from a procedural point of view.  For example, perhaps there is an imminent "deal" and voting yes to that particular motion would (could) muddy the waters?

Of course it's also possible that those elected officials feel that disagreeing with anything Conservative is more important than actually saving an industry and tens of thousands of livelihoods from being ruined. Given the intelligence of a large number of them, I fear it's the latter.

I hope they like the train.

One Liberal MP voted for the motion, and one independent opposition MP against, otherwise a straight minority governing party vs. opposition vote, passing 183/151 (Vote Detail - 67 - Members of Parliament - House of Commons of Canada (ourcommons.ca).

Parliamentary procedure is pretty arcane, but this shouldn't be confused with a bill to make law. I don't know what kind of order is created when this sort of opposition motion is passed (UpperDeck??), or whether it brings any force to bear on the government at all. 

IAC ...

6 hours ago, Canoehead said:

.... I wonder if there was a reason why the Liberals voted it down from a procedural point of view.  For example, perhaps there is an imminent "deal" and voting yes to that particular motion would (could) muddy the waters ....

seems likely close to the mark. Still, Libs had to know this was going to pass, and I don't see political benefit in vainly, but visibly opposing it. Curious, if nothing else, why they'd make a show of that. I wonder if it's nothing to do with the airline-specific part of the motion. The language is pretty innocuous (link above), but does address other sectors, business as well as labour.

Regardless, hopefully some sort of assistance is in the cards, soon.

Cheers - IFG :b:

Archived