Andrew Cuomo New York Covid Scandal

Andrew Cuomo doesn't feel nearly 'bad' enough about New York's nursing home deaths 

With scandals, the coverup often ends up being worse than the wrongdoing. But in this case it's a tie

If you are frustrated by the partisan and ideological divisions the COVID-19 pandemic has been exacerbating, I suggest you express a little gratitude to New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo. By displaying staggeringly awful judgment in handling COVID deaths in New York nursing homes, Cuomo has managed the near-impossible feat of uniting nearly everyone — left and right, Democrat and Republican — against him. And to be clear, “awful judgment” is simply the politest way I can think of to accurately characterize Cuomo’s behaviour without forcing my editors to spend hours on the phone getting this column “lawyered” before publication to avoid the potential of libel notices.

Regularly with scandals, the coverup ends up being worse than the wrongdoing. But I think that in the case of the New York nursing homes, it might be a tie. And I am far from alone in viewing both the initial mistakes and the subsequent attempted whitewashing as painfully damaging.

The FBI and the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn are investigating the Cuomo administration, which has, in the past few weeks, adjusted the number of long-term care residents it says died of COVID from 8,500 to 15,000. Not exactly a rounding error. As Daniel Griffin, a physician-scientist who has been on the front lines of the COVID fight in New York from the beginning, recently Tweeted, “without this information in real time the urgency that could have prevented these deaths was not there.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo ... has displayed staggeringly awful judgment

The loss of life amongst an especially vulnerable population is heartbreaking; Cuomo’s alleged threats to colleagues to put a good spin on the tragedy is maddening.

Democratic New York Assemblyman Ron Kim told CNN, “Gov. Cuomo called me directly on Thursday to threaten my career if I did not cover up for Melissa and what she said.” Melissa is Melissa DeRosa, a senior Cuomo aide who told state legislators that New York purposely put off sharing the true number of dead nursing home residents because they were worried about being investigated by the Department of Justice.

The Cuomo camp has tried to paint Kim’s allegations of bullying as being nothing more than sour grapes — the result of what Cuomo called, in a press conference, “a long and hostile relationship” between Kim and Cuomo’s office. But CNN cited three other Democratic New York legislators who, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the news outlet that “they were aware of outreach from the governor in which he clearly suggested or explicitly threatened political retaliation if they did not stand by him.”

It does not speak well of Cuomo that people do not seem surprised by these accounts of what should, by all rights, be considered shocking behaviour from a governor.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called the alleged domineering calls “classic Andrew Cuomo,” explaining that there is nothing new about the idea that Cuomo would try to browbeat colleagues into covering for him or making him look good.

“The threats, the belittling, the demand that someone change their statement right that moment,” de Blasio said, in an interview with MSNBC, “many, many times I’ve heard that and I know a lot of other people in this state have heard that.”

The worst part is that it remains unclear, even now, that Cuomo understands the gravity of his sins and omissions, an instinct for self-preservation far more evident than any sense of remorse.

“My administration created the (information) void, and that I feel bad about,” Cuomo said during a COVID briefing Wednesday. “Not illegal, not unethical, but just failed people in the moment.” Would those words offer any comfort to someone who lost a family member in a New York nursing home to COVID? Describing what was at best massive ineptitude, but more likely incompetence compounded by cold and calculating self-regard, as a momentary failure? “I’m sorry,” would have been a better start.

The best that can be said for Cuomo is that he has created rare unity amongst members of the ideological left and right, his dangerous arrogance being one thing they can agree on. While a group of nine federal Republican Senators is calling for a Justice Department probe into Cuomo’s actions, Democrats in New York State are working on trying to strip the governor of his emergency powers. While Cuomo continues to insist that “everything that could have been done was done,” he may be the only politician of any stripe who still thinks so. He is certainly the only one unfeeling enough to keep saying so.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/marni-soupcoff-andrew-cuomo-doesnt-feel-nearly-bad-enough-about-new-yorks-nursing-home-deaths?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1xD5POquM9RWW-I9LqPuatQsFY8lmdRxlGwS-HlXK-EC1MzAiRKf0YqzQ#Echobox=1613732981

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jaydee said:

With scandals, the coverup often ends up being worse than the wrongdoing.

The cover up was ongoing. We all watched it play out and we all knew exactly what was happening as it happened. The Emmy was a breathtaking exercise in arrogance and craven hypocrisy.  

There is no hiding here, and no pretending it's a sudden, random and unexpected surprise. When a diaper is marked "10 pounds" it's not a capacity rating it's an infant weight.... unless you happen to be a liberal democrat, then it's a promise.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

When a diaper is marked "10 pounds" it's not a capacity rating it's an infant weight.... unless you happen to be a liberal democrat, then it's a promise.

OMG. Priceless...:Clap-Hands: :icon_pray:   How do you come up with these phenomenal one liners ? Military humour?

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Military humour?

Thanks, but in this case it was a 1.5 hour solo baby sitting sortie (new granddaughter).  What can go wrong in an hour and a half eh?

All was well until I turned the radio on... it was CBC and they were discussing CBC stuff. I can only conclude that articulating liberal values out loud causes explosive diarrhea in newborns and that diaper capacity is a liberal promise that fails to survive first contact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just another day in Leftist paradise called NYC!

Meghan McCain torches Chris Cuomo and 'ghoul of a brother' for CNN 'comedy shows' amid nursing home scandal

CNN claims Cuomo is now barred from covering his brother after lifting the 'rule' last year

"The View" co-host Meghan McCain tore into CNN anchor Chris Cuomo Monday over what she called the "comedy shows" he held with his brother, Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, last year amid the brewing nursing home scandal. 

Chris Cuomo, along with CNN, have made an unprecedented push to downplay and deflect from the controversies surrounding the New York governor, with the far-left network giving developments in the nursing home scandal little to no airtime -- while giving the "Cuomo Prime Time" host free rein to conduct friendly, comical interviews with the scandal-plagued governor in the early months of the coronavirus pandemic.

On Monday, the anchor took a swipe at McCain over a viral clip of remarks she made on "The View" in which she criticized White House medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauciover the vaccine timeline and the uncertainty of when Americans in her age and health bracket will be eligible to get vaccinated. 

"The fact that I, Meghan McCain, co-host of 'The View,' I don't know when or how I will be able to get a vaccine because the rollout of my age range and my health is so nebulous, I have no idea when or how I will be able to get it," McCain stated.

CHRIS CUOMO PUSHES NARRATIVE CRUZ 'ABANDONED' DOG ON CANCUN TRIP WHILE IGNORING BROTHER'S NURSING HOME SCANDAL

"???" Cuomo reacted on Twitter. 

McCain fired back, hitting both the anchor and his brother and urging the New York governor to apologize to the families who lost loved ones in the state's nursing homes during the pandemic, including Fox News senior meteorologist Janice Dean.

"You and your ghoul of a brother were doing comedy shows with giant q tips and joking about his sex life while covering the number of nursing home deaths in nyc," McCain told the CNN host. "Why doesn’t your brother finally apologize to @JaniceDean and the other family members he helped to kill?"

There has been growing criticism of CNN's Cuomo for avoiding the nursing home scandal. Last week, CNN said its anchor was barred from covering his relative and admitting network brass lifted the "rule" in the early months of the pandemic for the host to conduct his chummy fraternal interviews.

Gov. Cuomo's administration is reportedly under investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Brooklyn after critics accused officials of covering up the true number of COVID nursing home deaths in the state. Early in the pandemic, the governor ordered assisted living facilities to accept COVID-positive patients in order to keep hospital beds free.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/meghan-mccain-chris-cuomo-andrew-cuomo-nursing-home-scandal?fbclid=IwAR2qhm-YUnFqGcbgz8YOgSjlpQdIA950Ie_JDby0aSjawcYQdcaesaAXKHI

My In-Laws Died in a Nursing Home. I Took on Cuomo in Their Names

New York State lost more seniors to COVID than America lost to 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina combined and doubled. But while we were grieving, heartbroken and coming to grips with the fact that our loved ones died alone, the mainstream media all but crowned Cuomo the go-to pandemic politician.

It was bad enough seeing him on all the national news channels being asked about his love life instead of his lethal policy. But the day my anger and grief turned to rage was when I saw the governor and his anchorman brother Chris Cuomo laughing and joking around on CNN primetime about giant cotton swabs and arguing about who their mother's favorite son was.

As body bags piled up in storage trucks outside of long-term care facilities and morgues, Cuomo did the rounds on the other friendly news networks, never being asked the nursing home questions that we so desperately wanted answers to.

Cuomo's daily power point presentations were given top billing, where he frequently revealed his morbid collection of coronavirus artwork, including the giant plastic mountain he stood beside like a game show host and the poster he sold for $14.99 featuring pictures all of the things he loved about himself.

Then, October brought the unveiling of the latest Cuomo achievement: a New York Times best-selling memoir, American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic. While thousands of families tried to find ways to bury their parents and grandparents, Cuomo somehow found time to write and promote his "leadership lessons," profiting off the deaths of over 40,000 New Yorkers.

Our families were horrified. He just kept celebrating himself, first with books and then with an Emmy award, while we stayed quarantined, watching lives and livelihoods in New York being crushed to death.

Frustrated by the lack of nursing home coverage, especially on a national level, I chose to keep speaking out, writing opinion and reported pieces while attending rallies with other grieving families.

It didn't take long for me to realize I was up against a machine—a brutal, vindictive and bullying one at that.

Many refer to Cuomo as the "terminator." He was feared and revered. No one could cross him, he was indestructible. Many, I was told, had tried and failed.

They tried to brush me off as just the "weather girl." I wasn't a credible source on anything. But even though he had the Cuomo name, the Democrats and power on his side, I knew I had something more powerful. The angels were on our side.

Now, after all of these months of darkness and death, the sunlight is beginning to peak through, a glimmer of hope that this leader who, instead of helping others, helped himself, might finally see his day in front of a judge and jury.

New York Attorney General Letitia James released a report last month on the nursing home tragedy and concluded that it "severely" undercounted virus deaths. Then, in a stunning conversation leaked to the New York Post, Cuomo's top aide, Melissa DeRosa, admitted that their administration was purposely hiding the nursing home data so the federal government wouldn't find out.

Now, the FBI and federal prosecutors in Brooklyn announced they are investigating Cuomo's coronavirus task force with a focus on his administration's handling of nursing homes early in the pandemic. The stories of bullying and abuse are finally seeing the light of day in newspapers, on social media and even on the Cuomo-friendly cable channels.

You might say the tide is finally turning against this governor.

People are realizing that because of his deadly decisions, we were unable to provide shelter to our most vulnerable population. The places they lived, that were supposed to be taking care of them, were caught unprepared and unprotected. A devastating flood was unleashed that could have been forecast ahead of time. The elderly could've been brought to safety before the height of the storm took the lives of thousands.

Now that the floodwaters have receded and the death and damage has been revealed, it's time to do a full and through investigation into this 100 year storm so that it never happens again, to prove that despite all the warnings and the science to guide his way, our governor failed to pay attention, ignored the evidence and made tragic, irreversible decisions, ones that could have been avoided.

A different kind of storm is now on the horizon, the trajectory of which is zeroing in on this governor, his health department and administration. These floodgates are opening up after the years of lies, corruption and cover-ups.

Andrew Cuomo will have nowhere left to hide or take cover from this force of nature, from the forces for good and justice. He'll have no one else to blame. Except, maybe finally, himself.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my-in-laws-died-in-a-nursing-home-i-took-on-cuomo-in-their-names-opinion/ar-BB1dX08c

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

New York Governor Cuomo to be stripped of emergency powers

New York's beleaguered Governor Andrew Cuomo will be stripped of the emergency powers he was given nearly a year ago. The New York state legislature worked out a deal on Tuesday that would remove Cuomo's authority to govern without legislative oversight, and they could vote on the bill as early as Friday.

The agreement to pull Cuomo's powers was reached on Tuesday. New York State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins said "I think everyone understands where we were back in March and where we are now."

"We certainly see the need for a quick response but also want to move toward a system of increased oversight, and review. The public deserves to have checks and balances. Our proposal would create a system with increased input while at the same time ensuring New Yorkers continue to be protected," she said.

What this means for Cuomo is that he will no longer have the far-reaching powers to which he has grown accustomed, and control will revert back to local governments. Cuomo will no longer be able to issue statewide directives.

Cuomo had a huge amount of power and even won an Emmy Award for his daily coronavirus briefings, where he would talk about his family and philosophize about the pandemic. 

The governor is also embroiled in a few scandals currently. His administration is under investigation by New York State Attorney General Letitia James' office for intentional underreporting of deaths in public nursing homes. On top of which he has been accused by three former staffers of sexual harassment.

Cuomo, who previously told others to resign when they came up against accusations of sexual harassment, has come under fire from Democrats for these alleged infractions. Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer called the allegations of sexual harassment facing Cuomo "very troubling," stopping short of calling for Cuomo's resignation.

DD90C0B0-9D4A-42B2-BFF3-8CD0E74D807C.jpeg

C594DB7C-DAF4-4F0A-93E9-1CD0654C775B.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

A typical weak effort after the fact.

You are either the Governor or you aren't. If the State Governor has the authority to exercise emergency powers then the sitting Governor should have them at his/her disposal. Or you impeach and remove the Governor. If you don't trust the POTUS with the football then he has no bloody business being POTUS. 

Can liberal Captains still give helm orders on liberal ships?

Why does everything they do have to be a weak sister effort? You don't change the job, you remove the person who can't do it. Values endure, they don't change with the breeze... these fools make me dizzy. A couple of years ago the Vice President had this to say:

"Happy birthday, #DrSeuss! ‘The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.’"

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Looks like Cuomo and Trudeau are cut from the same cloth.

“ NY Gov. Cuomo refuses to resign over sexual harassment scandal, says 'I never touched anyone inappropriately'
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo held his first press conference in over a week on Wednesday, where he addressed reopening, his new plan for an Empire Pass to allow New Yorkers to travel freely, and the legislative removal of his emergency powers.
  • Three women have come out addressing Cuomo's harassment towards them, all occurring in the past few years.

Cuomo addressed the allegations of sexual harassment against him, saying that while he has been advised by his attorneys not to say anything he wanted New Yorkers to know where he stood.

From Cuomo: "I fully support a woman's right to come forward and I think it should be encouraged in every way," he said. "I now understand that I acted in a way that made people feel uncomfortable. It was unintentional and I truly and deeply apologize for it. I feel awful about it and frankly I am embarrassed by it. That's not easy to say. But that's the truth. But this is what I want you to know, and I want you to know about this directly."

"I never touched anyone inappropriately, I never touched anyone inappropriately. I never knew at the time I was making anyone feel uncomfortable. And I certainly never ever meant to offend anyone or hurt anyone or cause anyone any pain. That is the last thing I would ever want to do. I ask the people of this state to wait for the facts from the attorney general's report before forming an opinion."

Cheap Excuse: Cuomo insisted that "hugging and kissing" people as a form of greeting was part of his heritage and background, and that this was how his father greeted people too.

https://rumble.com/vebouj-cuomo-makes-announcement-on-sexual-harassment-allegations.html

When asked if he would resign, he said no, that "this is not the day for politics" and confirmed that he would not be voluntarily leaving office prematurely.”

Edited by Jaydee
  • 2 weeks later...

Majority of New York congressional Democrats call on Cuomo to resign

12 House Democrats from New York — including the chairs of the powerful Oversight Committee and Judiciary Committee — issued statements within minutes of each other on Friday calling for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign in the wake of a sixth sexual harassment allegation.

Why it matters: Pressure for Cuomo to resign is now coming from Congress. With today’s announcement, nearly three-quarters of New York’s delegation is calling on the governor to resign. Rep. Kathleen Rice called for Cuomo to step down on March 1 after a third accuser came forward.

The list includes:

• Rep. Kathleen Rice
  • House Judiciary chair Jerry Nadler
  • House Oversight chair Carolyn Maloney
  • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Rep. Jamal Bowman
  • Rep. Mondaire Jones
  • Rep. Grace Meng
  • Rep. Yvette Clark
  • Rep. Adriano Espaillat
  • Rep. Nydia Velasquez
  • Rep. Anthony Delgado
  • Rep. Brian Higgins
  • Rep. Sean Maloney

Between the lines: As of 11:40 a.m., six Democratic members of the New York delegation had not appeared to join Friday's coordinated campaign — Reps. Hakeem Jeffries, Gregory Meeks, Tom Suozzi, Ritchie Torres, Paul Tonko and Joe Morelle.

The big picture: The statements come one day after New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and 59 New York state lawmakers called for Cuomo to resign.

• New York State Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie has authorized an impeachment investigation into Cuomo. 47 state senators have said Cuomo should step aside, more than the 46 needed to convict the governor if he's impeached by the Assembly.
  • The governor is also facing an independent inquiry from the New York attorney general and a police inquiry in Albany.

https://www.axios.com/cuomo-resign-aoc-bowman-nadler-ca7c2879-a468-4813-83e9-bc62b27fcf26.html

• Thanks 1

Seventh accuser against Cuomo penned a firsthand account of her claims

We don't really need the whole article, this is number seven and the hypocrisy is painfully clear, they're not even embarrassed about it.

Democratic women, all of their #this / #that, and the entire liberal media have lost all credibility now and abandoned any future claims of outrage in the process. I had previously been somewhat sympathetic to their stance (and offence) over nominee accusations because I hadn't (solely) considered them politically motivated. 

It now leaves me embarrassed for them, embarrassed for my own gullibility and resolved to give their outrage zero future consideration. We will find out in a couple of years whether that's just me (as an army of one) or if the sentiment is widely held.

Some things hinge on integrity alone, they are visceral issues and you can't hide from them. This is one of them and it came in the form of a test that any tactical thinker would consider a no fail mission. And then..... they failed in a such a way and to such an extent that I would not have expected. Relative privation is not the issue here.... they simply failed to place any value on their own values and they did it after gaining first contact on the very first mission.  

Edited by Wolfhunter

Best Tweet seen today:

Turns out that Andrew Cuomo is exactly the guy who the media spent years trying to convince us Donald Trump was.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, seeker said:

Best Tweet seen today:

Turns out that Andrew Cuomo is exactly the guy who the media spent years trying to convince us Donald Trump was.

To be clear, I think he is a walking disaster when it comes to his Covid policy , but the one thing I was impressed about him lately was his statement. “I will not bow to Cancel Culture” 

If eventually he gets his just punishment for his “alleged” misdeeds, then so be it. At least it will be by due process rather than a few snowflakes melting.

What’s particularly fitting is that CNN, his own brothers network has become his worst nightmare. What goes around, comes around.

Edited by Jaydee

The New Rule of Politics Is Never Saying You’re Sorry

As Cuomo and Trump show, the ritual of the tearful public apology is disappearing.

blah blah blah...>>>   https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-20/trump-cuomo-show-new-rule-of-politics-is-never-saying-sorry

( Then the important paragraph..we may NEVER have to listen to Trudeau says he sorry EVER AGAIN 👏👏👏👏👏

Republicans have been more apt than Democrats to refuse to say sorry, and Bauer says Democrats are still more likely than Republicans to issue a traditional apology—as President Joe Biden did after several women said his public touches made them uncomfortable. But that may not last. “I think Cuomo is going to be something of a litmus test,” she says. “If he manages to stay in power without doing a full-on grovel, I think that will be the death of the public apology.”

BREAKING: New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New York Health Commissioner Howard Zucker directed health officials to prioritize the governor's own family and figures with ties to his administration in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, the Albany Times-Union reported Wednesday.

Cuomo directed NY health officials to prioritize COVID-19 testing for his relatives: Report

Cuomo's brother, mother and one of his sisters were among those who allegedly received priority tests

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-directed-ny-health-officials-conduct-prioritized-covid-19-testing-for-his-relatives-report?fbclid=IwAR3hcXl7JKG5oAVK46n-tq5MkBPlh9FGHVJ0cAn93u_01QN9cRvE65BI9A8

• 2 weeks later...

Does this sexual harassment scandal remind anyone else of the movie “Wag the Dog”?  It has conveniently taken over all the reporting of the elderly deaths at his hand. Wanna bet that the harassment investigation by his buddy’s turns up clean? Makes for an awful good distraction and is much easier for the public to forgive then a detailed look into those deaths

• Thanks 1