The "Most Beautiful" aircraft thread

Obviously this topic is open to numerous interpretations.  Most "beautiful" means different things to different people.

I nominate the Spartan Executive;

I recall my visit to Oshkosh in 1986 where there were several beautifully restored examples of the Staggerwing. I promised myself if I ever hit the big time I would have one. That one's still pending ...

Staggerwing.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, J.O. said:

I recall my visit to Oshkosh in 1986 where there were several beautifully restored examples of the Staggerwing. I promised myself if I ever hit the big time I would have one. That one's still pending ...

Staggerwing.jpg

Moe Servos (RIP) had one of these, even in the red colour as displayed here and I was fortunate to spend an afternoon with him dropping in on several grass strips around Ontario. Definitely an experience not easily forgotten.

Edited by Jaydee
13 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Perhaps it should be the most 'beautiful aircraft' you have been qualified on.

ScreenShot003.jpg.ce57789d982dee8fd69ab1b93c0f56e8.jpg

That's an unfair restriction although I was qualified on this one and did spend a summer flying it. What a great job.  Yes, this exact aircraft although that's not me in the video. Turn your sound up for the first minute of the first video.

{{{{{That's an unfair restriction although I was qualified on this one and did spend a summer flying it. What a great job.  Yes, this exact aircraft although that's not me in the video. Turn your sound up for the first minute of the first video.}}}}

To a degree, I agree, as can be seen by the two aircraft I think are "beautiful" but have never flown, however many people probably base their sense of "beauty" on the outward appearance of an aircraft.

Whereas my definition of "beautiful" is how the aircraft flies in varying conditions and how it 'feels' as a pilot,to drive the machine. If the prerequisite was being qualified on type, then I would follow GDR, (Greg), and say C-130..

PS..I was qualified on the DND  Beech, 18 (land only), or commonly called the C-45 or Wichita Wiggler. Only have about 500 hours on one as that was not my primary aircraft at my first  RCAF unit.

These are my first and second choices (interchangeable).  Waited two days for Concorde to arrive, after a delay from LHR.

Flew in to celebrate new terminal opening at north end of field in 1977.

Was already interested in aviation, this pretty much sealed it, this and the L1011 pictured below.

Concorde Photo is from Global News I believe (CFAC or 2&7 back then)

Image result for concorde calgary 1977

Image result for Air Canada L1011

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Innuendo said:

I thought the original thread specified  “Beautiful” rather than your favourite aircraft.

While  I can understand those who opt for the Herc, is it beautiful?

maybe if you like Bulldogs.

Putting on tin hat. 🤒

No need for a tin hat ....😉. The C-130 is the most versatile aircraft that DND has ever purchased and the word "beauty" is probably mostly used to describe its ability to go anywhere and everywhere on a moments notice  and more importantly it was  pure joy to fly. I often described it as a "jet" with 16 props and very light on the controls.

Years ago it was the premier aircraft that any pilot desiring to go world wide on would ask for but it was normally the long in the tooth pilots that got posted on it because they wanted pilots with lots of  experience and high flight hours.The "head shed" changed all that when other Commands  in the RCAF complained that they all got the "green-horn" pilots and in the 1980's we had our first batch of pipe-liners try the bird followed very quickly by the first  "pipeline" female pilots and navigators.

There are a million stories about operations with the C-130 and think it would be extremely rare to find a pilot who did not enjoy his/her time on the might "Herc".

Edited by Kip Powick
speling
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, AIP said:

These are my first and second choices (interchangeable).  Waited two days for Concorde to arrive, after a delay from LHR.

Managed to get two hours in Toulouse France with a BA crew in the Concorde Sim. They let me do one take off and one landing....needless to say it was  an unforgettable experience and I was really struck by the fact that the systems in the cockpit were of years gone past and it was hard to grasp the fact that the Concorde was produced in  the mid '60s.

I take your point entirely about your affection for the aircraft and what you and it accomplished. My post was that the OP specified 'Beauty" and to me that meant line, form and appearance, rather than function and efficiency.

If function and efficiency were the criteria we could be talking the Bristol Frieghter. 🤨

Or the Short Skyvan !!!

Edited by Innuendo