For those who care about free and open technology that's not tracked, monitored or manipulated.

Here's my current choices.

I use a Macbook running (via USB drive) Elementary OS.  This is a fork of Ubuntu Linux.  No Windows, no Apple services., no Google.

A Oneplus1 phone running Lineage OS.  Lineage OS is a de-googlfied Android clone - not a single google service on the phone.

Duckduckgo as search engine (obviously).

Signal messenger.

Protonmail as a secure, off-shore, encrypted email service

Protondrive as a secure, encrypted, off-shore cloud service

ProtonVPN.

Various open-source apps; addressbook, etc.

I'm offering my expertise (?) in helping anyone who wants to make a change but is hesitant due to lack of knowledge or exposure to the options.  Also looking for suggestions for more ways to disconnect from the matrix - post them here.

I realize that the membership here tends to skew a little "older".  I am also older but have an interest in this sort of thing and want to assure you, if you're concerned, it's possible to get away from the overlords and easier than you think.  Well worth the effort.

Jaydee - I hope you realize the "correct" answer is to burn any device that you've ever used for Facebook and never sign in again, right?

Any change you make to your facebook settings is superficial and does not affect the underlying issue.

Changing your facebook settings is like painting flames on your Chevette - looks good but has no real effect.

Thanks for the info Seeker....Whether this works or not, as far as I’m concerned nothing ventured, nothing gained. When I did the procedure it brought up 42 pages/people/bots or whatever they are and I was able to “block” them.

9B4A61BD-DB56-4B6B-A36E-9AA19EEA9CFE.jpeg

Jaydee;

I'm not commenting on the choices you make.  Some people find facebook to be a valuable addition to their life and that's fine.  My purpose in starting this thread is to discuss security and privacy - from that POV, there is no way to make Facebook private or secure.  Closing some of the blockers is like catching "most" of the mice in your basement or patching "most" of the holes in your boat.  Again - make your choices as you see fit - I'm not criticizing.

This is great information thank you Seeker! I am admittedly not very tech savy with all these newfangled gadgets.i would very much like to figure out how to retain my privacy online. I currently have an iPhone 6. Is there anything I can do with it or do I need to buy a 1phone plus? 

thanks, 
Eddy.

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

This is great information thank you Seeker! I am admittedly not very tech savy with all these newfangled gadgets.i would very much like to figure out how to retain my privacy online. I currently have an iPhone 6. Is there anything I can do with it or do I need to buy a 1phone plus? 

thanks, 
Eddy.

Hi Eddy;  I'll expand on this tomorrow but just a few comments now.  I'm no expert on iPhones but from what I've read the Apple ecosystem is very secure but not private - Apple has access to much of what you do (not your data but your meta-data) but, if you follow the best protocols available (for Apple) you're pretty safe from outsiders accessing your stuff.

The Oneplus1 is an old phone - probably coming up on 10 years old.  I bought it for a hundred bucks and it runs virtually like a new phone.  The reason for this is that the operating system (Lineage) has no connection to Google and therefore isn't burdened with contacting Google a 150 times/hour (that's not much of an exaggeration) to pass my private info and therefore runs just fine. 

When I got the phone it had Android 6.  Android 6 was one of the older versions and was no longer compatible with a lot of apps, therefore the phone was "worthless" even though there was nothing wrong with it functionally.  I flashed (erased) the Android system and installed Lineage OS which is a free open-source version of Android - was equivalent to Android 7 and now up to Android 8.  This meant the phone was once again perfectly compatible with apps requiring a higher operating system and since the phone had been relieved of all the Google spyware it ran probably about twice as efficiently as it had before.

"Open-source" means that every line of computer code is public.  It's possible to dissect the program and see exactly what it's doing - is it spying, collecting your data, etc?  Well, it's all there to see.  Obviously I don't do this but there are people who do.  Essentially, open-source means you're not getting spy'd on or otherwise cheated or tricked.

Surprisingly to most people, open-source software is usually free.  I could write a book about why this is and how it came to be. Another day perhaps.

Seeker

While I agree with most of your sentiment on the Acts of Google.  Not all of the activity is nefarious.

The main goal and main source of income for Google is Ad Revenue just like everything else on the internet these days.  In order to make the ad revenue stream better google (and facebook and Apple and others) use the information to show you an ad that is relavent to you in the hopes that it will convert to a click and therefore money.  You yourself are doing it on this website,  You can opt in or out of this.  Of course that same data can be used for other reason which are not as above board as we have seen in several lawsuits against google and others.

I still use facebook because it is the primary method of communication with several groups that I am involved with.  I HATE FACEBOOK.  It is likely one of the worst offenders in the misinformation crowd.  That is not necessarily Facebook providing the misinformation but the propagation of it. To me Facebook is the largest social PROBLEM in the world today but it is integrated into everything.

I can tolerate some little bits of tracking here and there to make the user experience a little better. 

I actually miss the days before the internet became mainstream and everything was just text.  If you wanted to search for Einstein's theory of relativity you got back the original thesis and other works by other physicists in the field, no fluff or crap just the actual information from an actual university or library.  Sure there was less information out there but it was all good information.  Then along came the 90's and screwed it all up.

• Thanks 1

boestar;

I think my opinion on Facebook, Google, Apple and Microsoft can be easily discerned from observing my efforts to avoid them but I do realize there are some people who find some or all of their products and services to add value - I'm not judging, just discussing options.  A lot of people will say; "I wish I could reduce my reliance/exposure to these large corporations but don't know how."  My purpose is simply to provide a place to discuss the "how" for those who are interested.

You are quite right about the irony of posting a Youtube video while complaining about Google.  Unfortunately there are some choke points - Youtube is one, payment processing and web-hosting are a few others.  I choose open-source, non-commercial, anonymous, private when possible but I'm not about to starve myself to death rather than eat a Big Mac just because I have a diet I follow.

While in general I agree with the concept of "a little tracking to improve the experience" the problem is that it's never a little tracking and every data point gets added to pile and is (often) used against your best interest.

16 hours ago, seeker said:

Hi Eddy;  I'll expand on this tomorrow but just a few comments now.  I'm no expert on iPhones but from what I've read the Apple ecosystem is very secure but not private - Apple has access to much of what you do (not your data but your meta-data) but, if you follow the best protocols available (for Apple) you're pretty safe from outsiders accessing your stuff.

The Oneplus1 is an old phone - probably coming up on 10 years old.  I bought it for a hundred bucks and it runs virtually like a new phone.  The reason for this is that the operating system (Lineage) has no connection to Google and therefore isn't burdened with contacting Google a 150 times/hour (that's not much of an exaggeration) to pass my private info and therefore runs just fine. 

When I got the phone it had Android 6.  Android 6 was one of the older versions and was no longer compatible with a lot of apps, therefore the phone was "worthless" even though there was nothing wrong with it functionally.  I flashed (erased) the Android system and installed Lineage OS which is a free open-source version of Android - was equivalent to Android 7 and now up to Android 8.  This meant the phone was once again perfectly compatible with apps requiring a higher operating system and since the phone had been relieved of all the Google spyware it ran probably about twice as efficiently as it had before.

"Open-source" means that every line of computer code is public.  It's possible to dissect the program and see exactly what it's doing - is it spying, collecting your data, etc?  Well, it's all there to see.  Obviously I don't do this but there are people who do.  Essentially, open-source means you're not getting spy'd on or otherwise cheated or tricked.

Surprisingly to most people, open-source software is usually free.  I could write a book about why this is and how it came to be. Another day perhaps.

Ok thank you again for the info Seeker! I have never gotten involved with Facebook or twitter or other such things. I have just changed over my browser and search engine to duck duck go after watching the video you provided. I will try to find an 1phone plus to switch to. This is all great information please keep it coming👍

Edited by Eddy
2 minutes ago, Eddy said:

I will try to find an 1phone plus to switch to.

I do not recommend looking for a Oneplus One.

This phone is 7 years old (I looked it up).  When I bought it it was in particularly good physical shape and therefore made a good candidate for the operating system replacement described above.  The odds of you finding a similar phone are low.  I gave my story as what is possible not what's probable.  

This is not a procedure that an average person would be able to handle.  As an iPhone user I definitely do not recommend it for you.  An Android user who is familiar with sideloading an apk from a non-google app store - that's the person who would replace the operating system.