The Fake / Biased News Media

Jaydee

2 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Didn't see that, thanks. Not widely reported for some reason...

Consider for a moment…this happened on Friday night and just starting to come to light. This would be wall to wall coverage for a week of it had been a protester driving. Probably because the MSM, afraid of losing their hand outs from Trudeau, won’t immediately cover the story until they have to hoping it dies a silent death as yesterdays news. Kinda of hard to cover up when there is video proof.

https://steinbachonline.com/local/4-taken-to-hospital-after-vehicle-strikes-protesters-organizers

Edited by Jaydee

Here is an interesting poll asking the question "Was Ottawa Right in Declaring a State of Emergency". The reult was that a resounding 91.7% said no they weren't. Strangely i have trouble finding this on their web site now.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2022/02/06/have-your-say-was-ottawa-right-in-declaring-a-state-of-emergency-due-to-the-protests.html?fbclid=IwAR2pT04IDQOxTj1YdYip5ru1_B5HtpHtFZyXLFYll-NbL8nr1uQULrnfXKM

1 hour ago, GDR said:

Here is an interesting poll asking the question "Was Ottawa Right in Declaring a State of Emergency". The reult was that a resounding 91.7% said no they weren't. Strangely i have trouble finding this on their web site now.

Yes, that is strange isn't it? 

I thinks the powers-that-be have miscalculated this one. We - society - are not as blind and stupid as they think we are.

2 hours ago, GDR said:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2022/02/06/have-your-say-was-ottawa-right-in-declaring-a-state-of-emergency-due-to-the-protests.html?fbclid=IwAR2pT04IDQOxTj1YdYip5ru1_B5HtpHtFZyXLFYll-NbL8nr1uQULrnfXKM

A324573F-95F3-46F8-9831-60249BA2B913.jpeg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jaydee said:

This would be wall to wall coverage for a week of it had been a protester driving.

Unfortunately, if you want to know what’s going on you’re almost forced to go to FOX and Rebel news. I find it far (far, far) easier to remove their spin than it is to even locate events that the liberal media flatly refuse to cover. Examples abound and your’s (above) is typical of what I mean.

The good news here (I think) is that all pretence is now gone and the propaganda motive across the board is pretty obvious to everyone, less those members of the fringes…  and IMO, both of those groups (left and right) have rendered themselves irrelevant and a waste of bandwidth. I'm no longer interested in hearing their noise... that epiphany has a calming effect BTW and it's simply a matter of establishing a GAS perimeter and ignoring the BS taking place outside the wire.

If nothing else, the Covid debacle was proof positive of the difficulty of trying to answer the most basic of  high school biology questions…. I found it to be thirsty work. In the process of searching it out though, I discovered that those with the strongest opinions (on both sides of the issue) were usually the least able to discuss it at a basic level and that both of these groups immediately resorted to ridicule when pressed. Both narratives were fixed, not subject to change, and neither group had the slightest consideration for their neighbours rights or well being. They approached it with a level of glee (only word I can think of) that I found disturbing.

In any case, allowing the right fringe to expand left and the left fringe to expand right in an unopposed breach of the GAS wire is a recipe for turmoil. Ironically, ridicule (their own weapon of choice) is kryptonite to both of them in equal measure and is a tool to be exploited. I'm starting to like Bill and the "new rule" thing more and more.

Here's a question worth a moments reflection though; are convoy supporters stealing food from homeless people or have they been sharing the massive amount of food donations they been receiving with all comers? I won't bother searching it out... it's more entertaining listening to the lies than proving them wrong. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

Here's a question worth a moments reflection though; are convoy supporters stealing food from homeless people or have they been sharing the massive amount of food donations they been receiving with all comers?

Good question

2 hours ago, Airband said:

I'm tempted to look deeper but it reminds me of the flag flap, the hit and run deflection, and vague, unsubstantiated references to white nationalism, racism, terrorism etc.

Too much thirsty work to debunk allegations easily made that contain little more than a grain of truth. Even if I did ferret it out, those making the point would provide nothing more than another naked link with a "well what about this" caption. 

It's a bit like debating theology with an atheist who cherry picks scripture out of contest. They want to make a point... nothing more and have no interest in the underlaying theology.

In general, and in my experience, the protesters are the sort of people who would share the food donations they receive with anyone who was hungry. 

Conversely, and in my experience, the people who elevate a small grain of truth to SOP standing and vilify an entire group because of it have an agenda and are now lost to me. Simply not worth the effort required to research and compose a thoughtful post.

It's liberating in a way... simply expand your ignore list and experience a calm you've never previously had here. In addition to a new level of zen like calmness, it will make Seekers life a lot easier.

BTW, Seeker, thanks for your patience, consistency, and thoughtful hand on the tiller during rough seas.

Edited by Wolfhunter

2 hours ago, Airband said:

Somewhere in the last week I watched a video of Truckers feeding some homeless in Ottawa.  As per usual good deeds are never or only vaguely reported on by the MSM if it doesn’t fit the narrative. But by God… two probably inebriated truckers ask for food at a soup kitchen and it’s headline news for a week 

• Confused 1

Poll shows trust in media, government at all-time low

The 2022 Proof Strategies CanTrustIndex has arrived, and it’s not looking good for the government or the legacy media. 

Trust in traditional institutions has declined steadily over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, the poll found. 

The index surveyed over 1,500 Canadians from Jan. 4 to Jan. 14. 

According to the survey, governments saw a 10% drop in trust over the course of 2021-2022. Currently, only 22% of Canadians saw governments of all levels as trustworthy – down from 32% last year.

The results come at a time when more and more people are expressing dissatisfaction with governments’ response to the pandemic and are increasingly calling for an end to restrictions

Low trust impacted on all levels of government, with only 33% of Canadians seeing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as trustworthy. The premiers scored 32% on the index, while community mayors achieved 38% trust levels. 

Meanwhile, traditional media continued to plummet as Canadians tuned out of legacy news sources. In 2022, only 35% of Canadians said they trusted traditional media, compared to 38% last year. 

https://getproof.com/what-we-do/cantrust/

ACA8BE5D-8497-4A6C-9361-4237EB1E2AD6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Fox News crushes competition as CNN draws smallest weekly audience in seven years

Fox News finishes with largest primetime advantage over CNN since August 2015

Fox News Channel crushed cable news competition last week while CNN hit historic lows in multiple categories including having its smallest total day audience in seven years. 

Fox News averaged 1.5 million total day viewers from Feb. 7-13, finishing as the only basic cable network to surpass the one-million viewer benchmark. USA, MSNBC, HGTV and Hallmark rounded out the top five while CNN averaged only 444,000 viewers to settle for eighth. It was CNN’s worst performance in the category since November 2015.

Fox News finished No. 1 among all basic cable offerings in both total day and primetime viewers. 

Fox News finished No. 1 among all basic cable offerings in both total day and primetime viewers.  (Fox News)

CNN’s struggles were even more alarming during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. ET, where Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon have found it difficult to attract viewers since the network terminated Chris Cuomo last year. 

CNN averaged a dismal 491,000 primetime viewers compared to 2.4 million for Fox News to top the liberal network by 385%. It was Fox News’ biggest advantage over CNN since August 2015 when then-candidate Donald Trump took the stage for his first GOP primary debate. 

Fox News finished No. 1 among all basic cable offering during primetime. USA, MSNBC, INSP and Hallmark rounded out the top five while HGTV, History, ESPN, Discovery, TNT, TBS, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, TV Land, A&E and SyFy all finished with a larger audience than CNN. 

"Tucker Carlson Tonight" averaged 3.5 million viewers to finish as the most-watched cable news program of the week. "The Five" averaged just below "Tucker" to finish second, followed by "Jesse Watters Primetime," "Hannity" and "Special Report with Bret Baier" as Fox News had 81 of the top 100 cable telecasts for the week. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-news-crushes-competition-cnn-draws-smallest-weekly-audience-seven-years?cmpid=fb_fnc&fbclid=IwAR2unxxmh1d_sTvdQQLa-Lj4RRaQ5hFMecoaWJWQjEEV_Ab77_b4VBAg3yg

FANTASTIC ARTICLE !!
 It’s no wonder trust in media is declining…

People increasingly hate the media or don’t trust it. Who is to blame? The media.

Some of the reporting on the protests in Ottawa center around how reporters are treated, and a lot of the conversation between reporters on Twitter is a circle of self-pity: “Poor, unfortunate, maltreated, us.”

Their conversation serves to pit the blame on the “yobs” in the protest, rather than a second or two of introspection on how it happened that they are not just mistrusted but sometimes reviled.

After several decades as a talk radio commentator and columnist, I am used to members of the public misunderstanding the difference between commentary – editorials and opinion columns – and news reports. But increasingly it seems to me reporters are unclear on the difference. That’s a problem.

The current protests offer examples — the best of which I think is the reporting that at the beginning of the protest in Ottawa, someone was seen carrying a swastika flag.

Yes, that may be worth mentioning. But it was one person, one flag, at one moment. However, report after report, day after day, long after the flag disappeared, news reports referred to it with the implied assertion that it is representative of everyone who is protesting.

News reports – again, not commentators – referred to the “so-called” Freedom Convoy but did not refer to the counter-protestors in Ottawa this past weekend as “so-called” counter protests. Nor have they done so with protests by many groups, including Black Lives Matter, The Women’s March or Indigenous protests.

Those are seen, and will be justified by media people hating this column, as legitimate. They do not see the “truckers” as legitimate, and that is a valid opinion. But it isn’t a factual news report.

A protest movement is a protest movement. They don’t all play out in the same way but report the facts.

Social media has contributed to the spread of false news, but it has also allowed people to see for themselves that sometimes what is happening is not what is being reported.

As a result, last June, a study done by Ipsos found that from 2017 to 2021: “Trust is down, particularly when it comes to more traditional sources of news media like broadcast TV (-7), print newspapers (-9) and talk radio (-9).”

In Newsweek Nancy Rommelmann, journalist, author and co-founder of Paloma Media said: “A friend asked me yesterday whether the proliferation of journalists leaving their motherships to report via Substack and YouTube would result in “news we can’t trust.” On the contrary, I told him: The writers I know who have done this did so because the outlets they’d worked for had themselves become untrustworthy, deciding it was more important to push one agenda or another than report with at least a gloss of objectivity and let readers decide for themselves.”

I am not a news reporter. I am a commentator. You don’t have to agree with me. What I say is debatable.

But a great news report should not be debatable. It should be as best as possible a reporting of facts that citizens can then debate and form opinion around.

Too often the opinion they arrive at is that the news is trying to push an agenda and whining about how they are viewed. Fix that.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/agar-its-no-wonder-trust-in-media-is-declining?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR38k7g-887Zai8Nyz6gOMbg59TewG-Acb_FsPA33NIrI4YGGqL8y5TwL2I#Echobox=1644876067

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

It’s no wonder trust in media is declining…

This has allowed everyone to have the soldier/media experience without leaving home.

There is simply nothing like reading fabricated accounts that don't match what your eye's see, your ear's hear and your nose smells. I think the CBC has picked their hill... I don't know how they fix this either, assuming they do. CNN remains undeterred by their own ratings.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 4:26 AM, Wolfhunter said:

This has allowed everyone to have the soldier/media experience without leaving home.

There is simply nothing like reading fabricated accounts that don't match what your eye's see, your ear's hear and your nose smells. I think the CBC has picked their hill... I don't know how they fix this either, assuming they do. CNN remains undeterred by their own ratings.

And if that is their hill, lets just hope that is where they stay.

• Like 1

DOES THE LAMP OF DIOGENES NEED A REFILL?

As the House of Commons is given its brief opportunity to wrestle with the invocation of the federal Emergencies Act, our eyes will be on the NDP caucus, led by the suave but occasionally confused Jagmeet Singh. Earlier today, Singh, on behalf of his party, endorsed the blank cheque he had already given the Liberal government on the question of temporary rule by federal decree. Having done this, he was full of belated warnings for the recipient about what amount should be filled in. “Indigenous land defenders, climate change activists, workers fighting for fairness and any Canadian using their voice to peacefully demand justice should never be subject to the Emergencies Act,” Singh said. ( OK…I get it…applies just to regular Canadians I guess🥵)

Lots of food for thought there! The Liberals' regulatory appendix to the order-in-council declaring a national emergency states that one of the specific purposes was to prevent restraint of commerce and injury to transnational trade relationships. Jagmeet Singh has pre-endorsed this pretext — the idea that a sufficiently large threat to the gross domestic product is a fine excusefor rule by fiat. How do you figure that's going to work out for “land defenders” and “climate change activists”? And don't get us started on the use of emergency law to “protect war memorials,” of all things. Next you'll be telling us we can invoke the Emergencies Act the next time there's a coast-to-coast bonfire of churches. 

The words that were coming out of Singh's mouth sounded a little like those being uttered across the country by New Democrats and leftists outside of Parliament. The former MP Erin Weir, who is no fan or friend of Singh, wrote an op-ed for Postmedia containing more pertinent facts than we put in a week's worth of columns. Weir observes that the use of Emergencies Act is justified when an urgent threat is intractable under ordinary law — but that ordinary law was strong enough to be used to disperse border blockades (ones now known to have been armed). 

The border activity was the stuff that most obviously engaged the act's economic justification, and it was eliminated once regular cops decided it was about time to put down the donuts. The noise from the truck horns in downtown Ottawa was stopped by a court. What's left is a non-violent urban protest in the capital that didn't prevent the prime minister or any other legislator from meeting the press today in the House foyer. 

Weir invokes the memory of the NDP's official saint, Tommy Douglas, who stood against the War Measures Act in 1970 and denounced the use of “a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.” Another former NDP MP, Svend Robinson, said that Singh “betrays” Douglas' legacy. Toronto leftist writer Luke Savage observed that Singh's imprimatur — without which the Emergencies Act could not be invoked against Conservative and Bloquiste opposition — carries practical strategic risks, too: it makes the New Democrats look like a “junior coalition partner” and hands the mantle of civil liberties over to the daffy right. Even the Communists, acutely aware that emergency rule usually doesn't take too long to crash down upon their pates, are standing on principle. 

New Democratic electoral failures are often explained away by reference to the principled, radical nature of the party's rank and file: like cats, leftists are difficult by nature to herd in the name of compromise. Here we have a federal NDP leader who, on his own authority, is making rule by decree and extrajudicial punitive action by the state possible. It's not even being done in the name of a New Democratic government. (And we could argue about whether the industrial “working class” is in the crosshairs, but on an ostensive level, it's hard to deny that it is present in great numbers in Ottawa.) 

Polling suggests the declaration of a “national” emergency is popular, and we are principled enough ourselves to ask when in history such a thing was ever unpopular. We see nothing in Weir's article, in particular, that we wouldn't be happy to sign with our own name. 

And so, at a time when the Liberal parliamentary caucus has opened just a crack to accept public criticisms of Liberal policy from Liberal backbenchers, we are waiting to see how the NDP caucus conducts itself. Will one or two of them prove that they're as hard to wrangle as they're said to be? Will any of them stand with St. Tommy rather than Singh? Liberal MPs are sometimes whipped into parade-ground shape by exploiting their political career ambitions; are people like Weir and Robinson capable of taking an authentically New Democratic position on this issue simply because their own personal dreams are long since evaporated? With what in the wide world can this leader of the New Democrats threaten anyone?

— Colby Cosh

KARMA !!

• Why it matters: Joe Rogan (14.7 million Instagram followers), Elon Musk (74 million Twitter followers), comedian Dave Chappelle (2.6 million on Instagram) and Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy (4 million on Instagram) are some of the most divisive personalities of the Biden era, Axios' Neal Rothschild and Sara Fischer write.

The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson dubbed these entertainers and pundits "DGAF [don’t give a f***] populists," noting the same qualities that make them popular "are the qualities that make them a nightmare for publicly traded companies" — Spotify or Netflix.

• The focus on Trump-era conservative voices, including Alex Jones and Sean Hannity, has shifted to viral voices with appeal on both sides of the aisle.

These personalities have gained huge traction in the Biden era by catering to people who feel disillusioned by the mainstream press.

• The delivery device: podcasts, YouTube videos and newsletters.

"[They] are big precisely because they don't just say 'no' to the prevailing discourse," Saagar Enjeti, host of an anti-establishment YouTube show and a guest on Rogan's show, tells Axios. 

• "They explicitly say: 'Screw you.'"

After a backlash, these hosts often rebound stronger:

• Rogan added more Instagram followers in January — after Neil Young pulled his music from Spotify to protest Rogan — than in any other month since 2018, according to CrowdTangle data.
  • Dave Chappelle's Instagram following jumped 19% — more than the previous nine months combined — in October of last year, after backlash over a Netflix special.
  • Thanks 1

Quote of the day and from CBC no less.

It's like POOF, all of a sudden they can say "open source reporting and metadata." And POOF, a sudden epiphany, an interest in fact checking and a new found commitment to journalistic standards.... but only in others. 

Open-source intelligence investigators use a wide variety of tools to verify the images they are seeing, including the metadata embedded in pictures and videos, as well as geolocation tools, which help pinpoint the time and place an image was captured.

"The real challenge when it comes to Russian disinformation — at least what we've seen for the invasion of Ukraine now — is the volume of it. Just the sheer quantity of events that they're flooding social media with," Fiorella said. "There's so much of it."

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to the conclusion that any headline which includes the phrase "experts say" is nothing more than vacant propaganda. I hadn't really noticed it before... but try this, go to google and type in "experts say" (with the quotations). There is no shortage of anonymous experts, that's for sure.

The only value these articles seem to have is in the paper itself, and even then, only when offered to those sitting a grunt pole during a toilet paper shortage.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Yet it had all of the hallmarks of being false at the time of printing. 

The reason no one at CBC (or liberal acolytes in general) are remotely embarrassed or apologetic about this is simple.... it was deliberate. They aren't dumb, propaganda is a tool, by the time the truth is known it no longer matters.   

It doesn't matter to me because the damage is already done, it doesn't matter to "them" because they knew it was false to start with... and since voters refuse to vote on policy, it doesn't matter to them and it won't change.

Propaganda has replaced discussion and debate. Look no further than this forum, there was a time when these things were discussed rationally. Now we have (mostly) naked links to other peoples opinions, memes and media sound bites clothed in a layer of snark and ridicule. 

That's symptomatic of a malaise that exists across the board BTW, there's certainly nothing remarkable about the fact it's happening here, I didn't mean to imply that it was. I would simply note that the fact it exists here stands as proof of existence in the wild and likely at higher levels than here.... most aviation folks understand the dangers associated with "strength of an idea."

There is one thing for sure though, propaganda only works in the absence of critical thinking.  Anyone who admits to believing it should (at least) acknowledge that they are the target audience and they should be more offended (as a result of that) than the people who never believed it in the first place. They aren't though.... and that's why it works. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 2

Freeland’s office “pressured” legacy media to change critical stories

The legacy media in Canada is every bit as dishonest and corrupted as you and I suspect. Last month when True North broke the story of Deputy PM Chrystia Freeland holding a Nazi banner at a Ukrainian rally in Toronto, a handful of legacy media reporters picked up our scoop. 

Most wrote their stories according to Freelend’s Liberal spin – that Freeland had done nothing wrong, the any critics of the Liberals were spreading “Russian disinformation” and that True North’s journalists were to blame for writing this story. 

So much for holding a powerful politician accountable for her reckless actions. 

The legacy media didn’t even bother to point out the hypocrisy given that the Liberals accused the Conservatives of “standing with those who wave Swastikas” at the Trucker rally. 

One rare and honest legacy media story came from iPolitics, who accurately recounted the events and blamed Freeland for her blunder. 

Interestingly, a few hours later, iPolitics issued a “correction” and changed the tone of the story to reflect the legacy media groupthink. Blame should not be aimed at the powerful woman holding the Nazi banner, it should be aimed at those talking about it! 

True North has learned that the “correction” was issued after interference from Freeland’s office – who “pressured” iPolitics to change the story. 

The Liberals said “jump”, the legacy media ask “how high?”

This caused the reporter who wrote the original story, Rachel Emmanuel, to resign out of principle. She now writes for the independent outlet the Western Standard, and she wrote an opinion column describing the ordeal. 

Today on the Candice Malcolm Show, Candice is joined by Rachel Emmanuel, who recounts the story and talks about the fundamental problems facing the media and why trust in journalists is at an all time low. 

https://tnc.news/2022/03/15/interference-freelands-office-pressured-legacy-media-to-change-critical-stories/

07243BE4-AE1D-4D3C-BC9E-CE2D3CA5B61C.jpeg