Justin Trudeau

Jaydee

Canada’s conundrum of peak government and unfettered spending

“ In Canada we instead get a misplaced belief that deficit spending can continue unchecked, with  a fiscally uninformed “tax the rich” mantra passing for astute political policy.  But instead of being on a path to become the new Norway we seem bent on being New Zealand of the 1980s, when out-of-control spending drove it to the verge of bankruptcy and political calamity.

Canada is stretching the limits of peak government, expanding both programming and spending close to the edge of public tolerance and national finances. The government apparently believes Canada can keep spending whatever money we can borrow, following the logic of unfettered credit card financing or extravagant lifestyles.”

The rapid expansion of government in Canada over the past decade produced an unintended experiment in the role of the state in our lives. The pandemic in particular liberated governments to expand programming, spending and interventions in a manner unprecedented outside of wartime.

As Canadians get a front-row look at life in a society defined by bureaucracy and “peak government”, many don’t like it. But the governing Liberal-NDP non-coalition is talking about even more national programs, including childcare, pharmacare, and dental care.  While some people favour more “free stuff” from government, the reality is governments need to get the financial and administrative basics right before unwrapping shiny new programs.

Promoting expensive initiatives while health care is in crisis, the housing market is in disarray, and climate change initiatives stifle the economy without reducing emissions is more upsetting than encouraging.  Spending more when our country faces massively increased government debt and rising interest rates seems increasingly reckless.

Canada’s welfare state expanded slowly after the Second World War, except for Indigenous peoples, who faced a massive increase in state intervention. Government policies induced welfare dependency among First Nations and Inuit, disrupting Indigenous communities and undermining their autonomy. For other Canadians, the advance of the state was much slower and government officials inflicted much less control on peoples’ daily lives. The country slowly adapted to the slow expanding government programs.

Today that has changed.  From vaccine mandates and the ArriveCan app to CERB payments, proposed oversight of Internet content, state-funded journalists, and myriad other policies and programs, the state is ever more present. Interventions like vaccine mandates were dictated by a health care emergency and supported by most Canadians. Others, including mandatory mask requirements in airports and airplanes, mark the country as a regulatory outsider.

Canada’s 2021 federal election campaign epitomized the pursuit of peak government.  All three major parties competed to offer more programs, more money, more policies, more debt.  This unseemly bribery attempt was matched only by the electorate’s willingness to accept government munificence as their due.  After Erin O’Toole helped host the grand government buffet, producing an electoral result that mirrored the campaign’s reckless spending promises, he was removed as Conservative leader.

There have certainly been times – think of the 1970s and ’80s Liberal governments of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau – when government spending became substantially disengaged from government revenues.  Generally, however, financially prudent Canadians have supported administrations like those of Brian Mulroney, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin and Stephen Harper, leaders who approached government spending more cautiously or even sought a balance between revenue and expenditures.

Like many countries, Canada takes inspiration from the Scandinavian welfare model.  Those who desire a comprehensive Norwegian, Swedish or Danish nanny state conveniently overlook those countries’ high levels of taxation and long-term careful fiscal management.  Norway, justifiably lauded for its combination of long-term saving and comprehensive social programming, still benefits from decisions in the 1960s not to spend its rapidly increasing North Sea oil revenues.

In Canada we instead get a misplaced belief that deficit spending can continue unchecked, with  a fiscally uninformed “tax the rich” mantra passing for astute political policy.  But instead of being on a path to become the new Norway we seem bent on being New Zealand of the 1980s, when out-of-control spending drove it to the verge of bankruptcy and political calamity.

Canada is stretching the limits of peak government, expanding both programming and spending close to the edge of public tolerance and national finances. The government apparently believes Canada can keep spending whatever money we can borrow, following the logic of unfettered credit card financing or extravagant lifestyles.

It is important to determine the line where citizens are both well served and well protected by their government.  Many Canadians appreciate government largesse, as the enthusiastic embrace of CERB demonstrated.  New programs, especially childcare and pharmacare, have vocal constituencies, but the electorate must accept the need to connect expanded programming to enhanced economic activity and reliable revenues.  A nation can only have the policies and programs that it actually needs and can afford.  The lesson learned from Norway is that savings topped deficit spending, producing a level of national confidence and pride that is worth emulating.

The Freedom Convoy, reviled by most but lauded by many, reacted to what they saw as government over-reach.  Anti-vaxxers reject government vaccine mandates.  Other Canadians worry about deficit financing, expanded federal programs in childcare and pharmaceuticals, federal funding for journalism and other examples of a rapidly morphing state.  The reality of peak government sits uneasily with many Canadians.

The condition of peak government is not inherently partisan; the Conservative Party has favoured new spending, albeit on a lesser level than the expansionary NDP and free-spending Liberals.  The combination of rising interest rates and the frightening size of the federal deficit is forcing the government to show some restraint, but a temporary spending slowdown (if it comes) is not the same as right-sizing government. Canada needs strategies that build and maintain a strong enough economy to match the politicians’ appetites and provide Canadians with the services needed for 21st-century success.

Peak government, as Norway as discovered, can be a remarkable and stabilizing achievement.  Many countries have discovered that government over-reach, both fiscal and programmatic, can send a nation into a deep spiral.  Canada’s unbalanced approach, combined with the license to spend granted to government by a terrible pandemic, is far removed from a Norwegian trajectory.

Canadians must rediscover the need to link government spending with revenues. To do otherwise, and accept the buck-passing addiction of deficit financing that impoverishes future generations, is to abandon our own responsibility for balancing our appetite for government services with our willingness to pay taxes and, even more importantly, produce and sustain economic growth.

https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/canadas-conundrum-of-peak-government-and-unfettered-spending-ken-coates-for-inside-policy/?utm_source=The+Hub&utm_campaign=5aa4e7fa89-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_08_09_10_55&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_429d51ea5d-5aa4e7fa89-522638043&mc_cid=5aa4e7fa89&mc_eid=09433e3d5d

38 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

In Canada we instead get a misplaced belief that deficit spending can continue unchecked, with  a fiscally uninformed “tax the rich” mantra passing for astute political policy.  But instead of being on a path to become the new Norway we seem bent on being New Zealand of the 1980s, when out-of-control spending drove it to the verge of bankruptcy and political calamity.

883B119A-5FE8-4C6E-82AB-75F15933019C.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:24 AM, GDR said:

The problem is the unintended consequences. 

It is already happening. Here is from Global.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9068757/canada-veterans-assisted-dying-support-gaps/

For some Canadian veterans, the struggle to access vital support services can feel like it follows a predictable path.

“Deny, delay, die,” said Debbie Lowther, executive director of VETS Canada, a charity that helps veterans in crisis. “We hear it quite regularly.”

The stark stakes of the struggle to access care and support are once again in the spotlight amid outrage and calls for an inquiry into the case of a Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) employee discussing medical assistance in dying with a veteran, as first reported by Global News on Aug. 16.

Sources told Global News a VAC service agent brought up medical assistance in dying, or MAID, unprompted in a conversation with the combat veteran, who was seeking treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury.

Global News is not identifying the veteran who was seeking treatment.

Multiple sources tell Global News the combat veteran never raised the issue, nor was he looking for MAID, and that he was deeply disturbed by the suggestion. Those sources and VAC have told Global News the discussion took place, and VAC confirmed it is investigating the incident.

Sources close to the veteran say he and his family were disgusted by the conversation, and feel betrayed by the department mandated to assist veterans. The sources said the veteran was seeking services to recover from injuries suffered in the line of duty, and had been experiencing positive improvements in his mental and physical health. They say the unprompted mention of MAID disrupted his progress and has been harmful to the veteran’s progress and his family’s well-being.

Lowther said she was “appalled” to hear of the incident, adding it raises serious concerns.

“It’s kind of like planting a seed.”

“If we have a veteran who’s already struggling with their mental health and maybe they are contemplating suicide … this is an opportunity that’s been presented to them.”

For some, the thought of taking their own life and having a loved one find their body may have been a deterrent to going through with suicidal thoughts, she explained.

But presenting the option to have a medically assisted death instead, Lowther said, “could have very, very damaging consequences.”

2:17Struggling Canadian veteran offered medically assisted death by VAC employee

Struggling Canadian veteran offered medically assisted death by VAC employee

Under Canadian law, medically-assisted death can only be discussed between a primary care provider like a physician or psychiatrist and their patient.

The incident is raising questions about the training being given to VAC employees, with Conservatives now calling for an inquiry.

They want to know, among other concerns, whether similar suggestions have been made to other veterans — and whether any veterans may have acted on the suggestion and chosen to die.

“We don’t know whether this was a policy: whether written or unwritten or being communicated to people. So I’m calling on the government to commit to a full investigation,” said Frank Caputo, Conservative veterans’ affairs critic.

“We need to know how this happened. We also need to know, were there other veterans that were provided this option? Did any veterans take the government up on this? These are unanswered questions.”

Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay said in a statement on Monday that he has asked his deputy minister to “ensure this never happens again.”

An official, speaking on background, told Global News that case managers receive sensitivity and crisis training in case a veteran were to raise the subject of assisted death themselves, but that they are not qualified to offer or suggest the service.

Rachel Blaney, veterans critic for the NDP, called the incident a symptom of a “deeper wound” after successive slashes to funding for veterans services over the decades.

She pointed to a report by Auditor General Karen Hogan earlier this year which urged the government to commit to a “long-term resourcing plan” for Veterans Affairs Canada, which is not meeting its targets for delivering disability benefits to veterans in a timely manner.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Skeptic said:

Lastly, re MAID.  As for me I want to pass on with my mind and dignity intact, so I may indeed request MAID or I guess only time will tell. 

The thing is though in order for you to take advantage of MAID it is going to mean that we will wind up with a system that systemically will kill people like the veterans mentioned in that article. Prior to MAID it was largely being done by increasing the morphine dosage of the elderly. That was being abused as well. I had one elderly friend that was in palliative care and was slowly being  euthanized with morphine until finally his wife said to heck with it and took him home, where he lived quite happily for another year and a half. 

As I said earlier that just so that you can have someone else do something to end your life, that you won't do on your own, it will be doing immense damage to our society. 

If you become intent on ending your life then I'm sure it can't be to hard to find something that you can do it with all by yourself. Why do we put our doctors in a position where they have to go against their Hippocratic oath and take a life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GDR said:

Prior to MAID it was largely being done by increasing the morphine dosage of the elderly. That was being abused as well. I had one elderly friend that was in palliative care and was slowly being  euthanized with morphine until finally his wife said to heck with it and took him home, where he lived quite happily for another year and a half. 

I've seen this twice myself... the morphine / lorazepam and morphine / ativan  cocktails (as I recall.)

5 hours ago, GDR said:

in order for you to take advantage of MAID it is going to mean that we will wind up with a system that systemically will kill people like the veterans mentioned in that article.

Exactly my fear in a single sentence. MAID as originally conceived was fine wth me.

Note to liberals - once you get what you want STOP... just do nothing. We could have gotten along just fine.

Why advance your agenda to the point of absolute madness and ensure pushback? It's not just a no vote now (for me) it's a full throttle hell no vote and an election issue. The takeaway for advocates of MAID should be "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS NOTHING."

The current pushback is a simple WTFDYTWGTH event.... how could anyone be surprised there's a backlash now?

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 2

I'll leave the MAID discussion with a final video.

I'm guessing the concerns raised and the opinions offered are largely reflective of the veteran community at large. As little as 3 years ago I would have been far less cynical about the intent, motivations and character of people I used to consider neighbours. In fact, back then I would have defended the system and considered this nothing more than a regrettable but isolated incident. That's simply no longer the case... and that's pretty huge BTW. 

As an aside though, I remain troubled by the fact that the only place (with few exceptions) to hear these views from the horse's mouth are on Rebel News. Even if that's your only take away from the video I'll consider it worthwhile:

https://www.rebelnews.com/canadian_forces_veteran_suffering_ptsd_offered_physician-assisted_suicide_by_veterans_affairs

Edited by Wolfhunter

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

As an aside though, I remain troubled by the fact that the only place (with few exceptions) to hear these views from the horse's mouth are on Rebel News. Even if that's your only take away from the video I'll consider it worthwhile:

I don't trust the CBC, Bellmedia, MSM, etc.  But, you know what?  I don't fall to the ground with my legs spread at every breathless Rebel video either.  They are considerably more reliable than the alternative but still not gospel.  Ezra has an empire to run and the more extreme and shocking his headline, the more donations he can pull in.  I think of them (Rebel) more as a smoke detector than anything. 

I have a smoke detector in my kitchen.  This is not recommended and I have to live with false alarms on a regular basis but the upside is that it's just sensitive enough that when it goes off I can still save the toast - same thing.

After this weeks Parliamentary Committee hearings into the airport delays, Transport minister Algabra clearly reached “Doofus” status.

ArriveCAN is not contributing to the congestion,” Alghabra replied. “In fact, ArriveCAN is a useful tool that helps verify the vaccination status of an individual before arriving at our borders.”

“There are those who have a vested interest in embellishing reality and undermining confidence in our airline sector only to score political points,” he said. “ArriveCAN is actually helping process arrivals much faster and helping reduce congestion.”

Or you could listen to frontline workers that deal with the delays:

According the union, roughly 30 per cent of border crossers haven't completed the app, prolonging traveller processing times amid an already chaotic travel season.

"We're so short-staffed and spending so much time dealing with this app that we really don't have time to do our actual jobs anymore, that’s the keeping the border safe part of the job,” he said.

Weber says searches for illegal drugs, firearms and in-depth interviews have taken a back seat since much of the focus is on the ArriveCan app.

So the liberals once again spin their own narrative, deny reality, and oh yeah slag the conservatives when all else fails. Sad we put up with this for a government, Thankyou Jagmeet.

It gets interesting around the 3:00 minut mark.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

I don't fall to the ground with my legs spread at every breathless Rebel video

What pray tell does it take then? Please don't say guys with motorcycles...

Actually though I tend to look at them the same way. They often serve as a starting point for issues worthy of further consideration and they tend to ask the questions I would ask assuming I had the platform to inquire, albeit, too often in a more confrontational manner than I'd prefer.

Edited by Wolfhunter

On 8/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, st27 said:

After this weeks Parliamentary Committee hearings into the airport delays, Transport minister Algabra clearly reached “Doofus” status.

Or you could listen to frontline workers that deal with the delays:

So the liberals once again spin their own narrative, deny reality, and oh yeah slag the conservatives when all else fails. Sad we put up with this for a government, Thankyou Jagmeet.

It gets interesting around the 3:00 minut mark.

Here is my solution.

Everyone that uses ArriveCan goes through Line "A" everyone that chooses pen,paper,kiosk uses line "B"

I will wave on my way by in Line A

If you have never used it by all means shut up

2 hours ago, boestar said:

If you have never used it by all means shut up

Count on me to wave back and wish you all the best and God speed in your special line for special people. I'll take the slow one and thank you for ignoring me... in fact that's all I want from special people in special lines. I call it nothing.

Be assured that I'm happy to wait, be doubly assured that all I want in return is nothing. Just leave me the f*&& alone. 

In addition, you can bet your a$$ that I won't be shutting up any time soon or yielding to the forces that demand I do.... 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Yup….a special line would be one solution, or the libs could do away with ArrCan altogether, since nobody else, including our neighbour and largest trading partner don’t feel it’s mportant…..but don’t hold your breath…..they don’t even have a line for Canadian passport holders in the Customs arrival hall, like most civilized countries.

If you have never used it by all means shut up

And I’ve had to use the app 3 times so far this year…waste of time!

41 minutes ago, st27 said:

Yup….a special line would be one solution, or the libs could do away with ArrCan altogether,

Perfect, I think it's a good solution with long term efficiencies for regular border crossers. No need to do away with it.

Use those efficiencies as motivation for people to use the app. But please... no penalties, fines, harassment or consequences for those who don't even own a smartphone. 

I'm in... we can do this.

Pretty easy eh?

I think people who want nothing other than to left alone are the best ones to negotiate with. Next case...

Cheers.

Posted (edited)

Tried to determine which fitted Trudeau the best, then decided they ALL apply

When Insults Had Class....  These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words. 

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."

"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." -  Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second .... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." 
- Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
- Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."
- Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."
- Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
- Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
- Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But I'm afraid this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

Edited by Jaydee

'MORE TRANSPARENT': RCMP Commissioner says police must modernize 

Brenda Lucki to testify about how gunman driving replica police car carried out 22 murders in Nova Scotia in 2020

No....

They need to go back to where they were before becoming the third pillar of the unholy trinity. 

There were the occasional lapses back then, things that could have been done better, but no deliberately nefarious collusion with government.

It's not about modernizing, it's about old fashioned honesty, integrity, loyalty and courage. It's about remembering who it is that you actually work for, doing the job, and being a shining example of an apolitical organization in the process.

Speaking of what should be a completely apolitical organization, the military has completely lost the plot. Remember level 1 - requires verbal and physical assistance to avoid making critical errors? I can't remember now, was there a level zero?

They seem to think their recruiting woes will be solved by woke recruiting and playing dress-up. They will actually get exactly what they don't want, can't use, can't get rid of, and It could take 20 plus years to undo the damage. This will cost... and you will pay. 

I can now honestly say that I would never go back to the military and I'd never go back to flying. It's not because I can't... I don't want to.   

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There’s gotta be some Trudeau DNA somewhere in this guys family tree.

Tesla owner has chip implanted in hand to make unlocking car easier.

https://torontosun.com/news/weird/tesla-owner-has-chip-implanted-in-hand-to-make-unlocking-car-easier?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0wwgbzyMxdE-VK75DOzmSjFUulYzwa-4LRm7bDQpylMEB2jyJgQ51rmkQ#Echobox=1661287784

4E2B3B09-F581-4257-9458-A664F3478BD8.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

Posted (edited)

Canada just missed possibly one of the greatest opportunities in its history 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/possibly-one-of-the-greatest-missed-opportunities-in-canadian-history?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0tyU7OKsxinXFTEPH5Hit1N3c1UDqwk0ESNSxY-TgI9drvjJaAnfCf2f8#Echobox=1661350598

Canada could have been using its LNG to save an embattled Europe ... and make billions in the process

It could well represent one of the biggest missed opportunities in Canadian history: An embattled Europe is clamouring for natural gas, and one of the world’s biggest producers of the stuff can’t sell it to them.

The economic hit is overwhelming: At current prices, even just one Canadian port exporting liquid natural gas could be adding nine figures to the Canadian GDP each day. Politically, Canada could be helping to deal a body blow to Russian hegemony over Western European energy. Instead, on both fronts, Ottawa appears content to watch from the sidelines.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz is currently on a mad dash to secure alternate sources of gas before the onset of winter. In Toronto on Tuesday, Scholz said“Canada is our partner of choice” in transitioning away from Russian energy, adding “we hope that Canadian LNG will play a major role in this.”

The invitation was pooh pooh’ed almost immediately by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who said there has “never been a strong business case” for moving Canadian LNG to Europe.

Oddly, Trudeau doesn’t share the same sentiment when it comes to hydrogen. Despite hydrogen having a dramatically smaller and less-developed European market, one of the signature features of Scholz’s visit was when Trudeau took him to Stephenville, Newfoundland to visit the proposed site of a wind-to-hydrogen facility. The hydrogen project hasn’t obtained regulatory approval and it’s still not entirely clear whether it will go forward. 

Edited by Jaydee

Posted (edited)

“ Every outrageous action by this government seems to have a three- or four-day currency. Summer lightning. This should be different," writes Rex Murphy about the Laith Marouf scandal. "This one cuts to the Trudeau government's central identity. It is against prejudice. It is woke to the nth degree. And yet it throws dollars to an 'anti-racist' who spews antisemitism."

Rex Murphy: What's the Liberals' excuse for hiring an 'anti-racist' who spews antisemitism? 

Did the 'woke' Trudeau government do any vetting before giving CMAC (a.k.a. Laith Marouf) $133K?

A grant of 133,000 taxpayer dollars is given to the Community Media Advocacy Centre (CMAC) to build an anti-racism strategy for the broadcasting sector. The CMAC’s senior consultant, Laith Marouf, has made multiple antisemitic posts. He is also not kind to Americans or French Canadians. He is a practiced gymnast of vile attitudes.

As human rights champion Irwin Cotler records on Twitter, “Over 100 of his posts have been compiled with these hateful, bigoted comments that target not only Jews, whom he referred to as ‘loud mouthed bags of human feces,’ but also francophones, and former U.S. Secretary of State, Colin Powell, whom he described as a ‘Jamaican house-slave’ and rejoiced at his death.”

Laith Marouf wasn’t sailing close to the wind of antisemitism — he was his own one-person tornado of the stuff. Funny how obliging Twitter is when Jews are assailed and when such delicacies as “bags of feces” ornament its platform. Its otherwise eagle-eyed monitors leap to the ban button on the slightest diversion from woke dogmas. But sidle up to anti-Jewish tropes and Twitter can take its time.

“ Funny how obliging Twitter is when Jews are assailed “

True, Marouf was once banned, but a quick change of handle and he was back again with slanders and hate messages and language that only someone with a fluency in recklessly crude comment could call upon.

Now, thanks to journalist Jonathan Kay and — latterly receiving just credit — telecommunications consultant Mark Goldberg, Marouf’s spittle-choked tweets are known to all who care to know. Also the cabinet minister who tossed out the 133 grand, Ahmed Hussen, is all hands-up astonished and vowing wildly to look into the matter.

Hussen, I regret to say, is not Sherlock Holmes. For that matter he is not even Inspector Clouseau.

For Minister Hussen has asked CMAC to investigate how it came to hire Marouf. A question of impressive redundancy for CMAC, which is the creation and vehicle of Marouf and his wife, Gretchen King.

In a tweet, UN Watch executive director Hillel Neuer asked Hussen the extremely pertinent question: “You are calling on CMAC to answer “how they came to hire Laith Marouf”? Are you not aware that he and his wife Gretchen King *are* CMAC? That they and CMAC share the same address?”

“ Hussen, I regret to say, is not Sherlock Holmes”

Allow me to translate. Mr. Hussen, instead of asking how his department, how his civil servants, how Heritage Canada’s Anti-Racism Secretariat sloshed out huge bags of money to an obvious hate-monger, is asking CMAC, which is Laith Marouf’s creation, how it came to hire … Laith Marouf.

Hussen has a duty here — if the word “duty” has any fading currency in this careless and showily pious government. Explain how your government, under the banner of anti-racism, gave support, endorsement and money to Laith Maouf. And please, please, stop the pantomime of asking Marouf to explain the hiring of Marouf.

Jews are special.

That may seem like an abrupt transition. It is not.

No one could use the language, express the contempt and rage on Twitter about any other so-called “marginalized” group with even one-tenth of the ferocity that Marouf used in reference to “Zionists,” as he did for years, with reference to Jews and Israel, and not be called out, shamed and, yes, cancelled.

My point: Slander, insult and actual hate against Jews gets a pass — until some truly extreme example calls attention to it.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-whats-the-liberals-excuse-for-hiring-an-anti-racist-who-spews-antisemitism

Edited by Jaydee

“ Yes, the proposed Alberta Sovereignty Act is a tantrum, writes Kelly McParland. Yes, it’s about as desirable as the 40 years spent placating Quebec as it threatened separation. But it’s the result of being brushed aside, treated as an afterthought and milked for revenue by governments, mainly Liberal, whose attention lay elsewhere. Never waste a good crisis, the saying goes. And if you have to create one first, so be it. ‘