Justin Trudeau

Jaydee

As opposition to trucker vaccine mandate grows, Erin O'Toole dodges questions

Conservatives either have no opinion or they refuse to give it without doing a survey first. I don’t think that could possibly happen in a society that voted on policy and demanded policy options.

IMO, he should be absolutely terrified to come to the podium without a position, a policy recommendation or (at least) an opinion about it. He isn’t.... not even a little bit embarrassed. It's incredible and it says more about us than it does him. It's like no one even notices (or cares) that he won't answer direct questions about matters of visceral importance to the nation. 

What I liked about Trump was you always knew exactly where he stood even if you didn't't care for the way he articulated it. I haven't looked at a policy position and thought "ya, that might work, it's worth a try" since he left office last year. We're left with politicians (of all stripes) who seem to do the worst possible thing at the exact worst possible time. Almost like it's deliberate. They don't even have to DO much of anything here... they need to stop DOING things. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GDR said:

In all fairness we could have predicted this would happen.

That's for sure.

And it’s why I utterly cringe when guys named Bubba (wearing plaid shirts) speak to the press on behalf of competitive shooters. It’s not an accident, they searched him out, it's a well worn tactic and used to reinforce a stereotype allowing those opposed a measure of “see, told ya so.” They could easily  interview well spoken articulate people familiar with the issues and representative of bell curve opinion…. but they don’t.   

You can see the same technique at demonstrations and such too, by way of example, the supporting media will focus on provocative and/or misspelled signs, and if you watch carefully, the same misspelled signs will show up later at another venue being held by a different Bubba… they’re plants.

Both sides do it, It’s predictable and fun to watch but the downside is that it plays to division, polarization, and subverts the true nature of the message intended; which of course is the real goal of doing it in the first place.

Note particularly the focus on anti-vaxx vs anti-mandate. You shift the message and vilify the messenger.

Edited by Wolfhunter

11 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Note particularly the focus on anti-vaxx vs anti-mandate. You shift the message and vilify the messenger.

In-between time you ignore it.

The CBC website currently offers not a word about a convoy that's 10 times longer than the previous world record and headed for the nations capital. 

Like the MBA crew at US airlines, according to them, the shortages you see are due to winter weather. The Iraqi ministry of information was only slightly more entertaining.

Regardless of your position on the issue, you should be seriously concerned about who is controlling the media, why they're doing it and the medium/long term consequences of it.

Getting people to accept absurdity requires a sustained effort, that effort costs money and those paying the bills expect a return on their investment. If you can guess their desired objective, you can easily anticipate the series of enabling objectives along the way. So, while I don't actually know, I would anticipate that every weigh station along the route is fully manned and logbooks are being reviewed with a level of intensity never before seen in the industries history. I only say that with confidence because it's exactly what I would do.

10 seconds later, reflection and sober second thought suggests that I wouldn't. Those in the sub 10% category of the population draw strength and motivation from overcoming obstacles and hardship. There is nothing like overcoming shared hardship to cement morale and maintenance of morale is an acknowledged principal.

Edited by Wolfhunter

IMO, there are a bunch of lessons here.

I haven’t ciphered it out, but I bet if you look at truck drivers as a percentage of the Canadian population, and protest participants as a percentage of all truck drivers, you will see the percentages and personality traits common with other (dare I say elite) demographics. As a group (demographic percentage), these folks share a mindset that stands as a prerequisite for endeavours (of all types) that demand tough minded resiliency and focus. Until you test them, you won’t even know who they are…the job picks them, not the other way around.

It’s most definitely not the domain of nut bars or closet domestic terrorists. Watch for the people and media sites that suggests otherwise and know them by their presence.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

Justin Trudeau the supreme divider of Canadians 

This convoy appears to me to reflect a great deal of legitimate anger and frustration at our pandemic responses

When Barack Obama was elected it was truly historic. Plus after eight years people were fed up with George Bush failing as “a uniter, not a divider.” But after eight years of “Hope and change,” Americans elected Donald Trump, and we’ve never had a mea culpa that just possibly Obama’s condescending attitude had a polarizing effect. Then there’s Justin Trudeau.

Ostensibly he’s all about sunny ways, sexy smiles and bringing us together. But watch him in action and something’s not right. Lyndon Johnson, no stranger to hardball politics, was fond of saying “Come now, and let us reason together” and sometimes he even meant it. Whereas Trudeau recently declared the vaccine-hesitant racist and misogynist without even checking whether they were angry old white men. He just reflexively invoked a mean-spirited stereotype.

It turns out vaccine skepticism is more common among non-whites. Of course they could still be racist, but there’s a subject for another day. Or maybe not, because Monday I got one of those vapid PMO statements about commemorating something nobody heard of, “World Day for African and Afrodescendant Culture”.

Only a few avant-garde activists know “Afrodescendant” is the new Black. Not even my woke spell-checker has gotten there yet. But Trudeau is so shallow and shiny he reliably reflects the progressive Zeitgeist, including obsessing over racial differences, which promotes division not inclusion. Especially in a holier-than-thou tone about the basket of deplorables he has the misfortune to govern, the invariable invidious subtext of Mr. Blackface’s smirking homilies about tolerance.

Trudeau is in fact a bully. Remember him elbowing his way through some MPs when he didn’t get his way? I think he got away with it partly because it seemed so out of character people had trouble processing it. But I’m not sure Trudeau really gets away with his ethical lapses and ruthless responses to criticism, including somehow tossing Jody Wilson-Raybould under the bus.

I don’t just mean his party is stuck at a level of popular support and Parliamentary seats that would have made Keith “the Rainmaker” Davey green about the gills. I mean lowering the tone of politics can bring Pyrrhic victories that preserve your own standing temporarily at the expense of souring the public mood in ways that make the nation permanently less governable.

It has happened in the United States, and it’s a tragic, horrible sight. I presumably don’t have to remind readers that I was an anti-Trumper before he was even a candidate and have never wavered in my insistence that he was morally and mentally unfit for the office. But I have also maintained that for the other party to spend half its time promoting lunatic causes like defund the police and the other half sneering at MAGA deplorables has made things worse not better.

Now consider Trudeau’s knee-jerk reaction to this truckers’ freedom convoy. It’s the only kind of reaction he has. And it was vindictive and shallowly partisan. “I regret that the Conservative Party and conservative politicians are fearmongering to Canadians about the supply chain, but the reality is that vaccination is how we’re going to get through this.” So yes, he reached out. With a wedge in one hand and a sledgehammer in the other. Never mind “I see where you’re coming from, but please consider this alternative.”

This convoy appears to me to reflect a great deal of legitimate anger and frustration at our pandemic responses, including the casual trampling of what we thought were our rights and freedoms. But as I’ve said about supporting Trump, the fact that people are asking important questions does not mean they have found sensible answers. So we should be having a conversation.

To that end, let me seek to bring people together if only by insulting them all equally. Because it’s not just Trudeau and not just politicians. Even Jordan Peterson, or whoever manages his Twitter feed, recently denounced “medical fascists” while Ezra Levant said Trudeau “wants a Reichstag Fire excuse to criminalize” his enemies.

No. Do not give in to the dark side. No Hitler, no cow poop. Lose the tinfoil hats and expletives on Twitter, and mind your manners and morals as well as your IQ in public debate.

I don’t mean surrender your principles. LBJ’s mantra was from Isaiah 1:18 and reads in full “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” So he wasn’t exactly weak-kneed or non-judgemental. But he was suaviter in modo, sometimes. He would listen. He would meet you half-way, if only to subject you to a mix of flattery, arm-twisting and, if necessary, rational discussion.

OK, his presidency exploded too. But at least he tried.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-robson-justin-trudeau-the-supreme-divider-of-canadians

"An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!"

Quote of the day award... wish I wrote it.

Gaslighting people about shortages by posting photos of fully stocked shelves in your own neighbourhood is asinine and callous. Apparently it’s inconceivable that other people experience problems which you do not. Those who enjoy mocking other people’s concerns this way should go the extra mile and send photos of their clean tap water to Indigenous communities so they know their problems don’t exist either — the principle is the same.

Edited by Wolfhunter

5 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

"An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!"

Quote of the day award... wish I wrote it.

Gaslighting people about shortages by posting photos of fully stocked shelves in your own neighbourhood is asinine and callous. Apparently it’s inconceivable that other people experience problems which you do not. Those who enjoy mocking other people’s concerns this way should go the extra mile and send photos of their clean tap water to Indigenous communities so they know their problems don’t exist either — the principle is the same.

Overstating a shortage is asinine and callous. Just remember the toilet paper scare that resulted in empy shelves due to panic buying.

Why are some shelves empty at Canadian supermarkets?

Published Wednesday, January 26, 2022 2:45PM EST

While there may be limited selection in stores, Dalhousie University professor of food distribution and policy Sylvain Charlebois says Canadians won't go hungry.

"Grocers know that empty shelves are bad for business… and [they] will make things move along the supply chain so consumers can leave grocery stores with products in their hands," Charlebois told CTVNews.ca in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

"They don't want empty shelves, so they'll do everything they can, vaccine mandate or not."

The food industry has been warning since March 2020 that Canadians will likely experience shortages of some items and increased prices at the grocery store amid COVID-19. Now, experts say these shortages have been compounded across the world by the highly transmissible Omicron variant.

"We are expecting sporadic empty shelves here and there, and it's the same in the U.S.," Charlebois said.

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra has said that there has been no "measurable impact" on the number of trucks crossing the border since the cross-border vaccine mandate went into effect on Jan. 15.

IMPACT ON CONSUMERS

Metro president and CEO Eric La Fleche, the head of one of Canada's largest grocery chains, said Tuesday the biggest impact on Canada's food industry supply chain has been worker absenteeism due to COVID-19 protocols.

La Fleche said that vaccine mandates for truckers have raised transportation costs, but haven't impacted the shipment of goods to stores.

"There's certainly less variety than there should be and we're not as full as we'd like to be," he said. "But we're not missing food out there."

La Fleche says the labour shortage caused by quarantined workers has impacted global supply chains, driving sporadic outages of certain goods. However, he said the worst of the product delays and shortages might have passed.

"More and more people that were infected are back at work, both at our suppliers and in our own operations," La Fleche. "It's improving every day. Every week, we're getting better."

University of Guelph agribusiness professor Simon Somogyi told CTVNews.ca that if there are issues getting supply from truckers travelling into Canada, he said it is mostly because of winter weather in the U.S.

"Like many years, the shortages or the outages around this time are compounded by winter storms and that's typical," Somogyi said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

However, he said consumers do not need to be concerned as experts don't anticipate these issues being long-term.

"When we saw those massive outages in 2020... people were panic buying and we just couldn't keep up with demand. Now, some of these issues like winter storms and trucks, absenteeism issues, these are going to be relatively short-term," Somogyi said.

With this in mind, Somogyi said there is no need for Canadians to start panic buying. However, he says they may have to be "smarter" about what they buy amid the ongoing shortages, such as looking for cheaper alternatives and planning meals ahead of going to the grocery store.

"If you panic buy and buy too much you end up wasting a lot of product that doesn't get eaten, and that's just throwing away money," he said. "It's about being smart and hoarding product is not a smart move."

As is promoting fake news.

Conservative MP’s Photo of ‘Empty Canadian Grocery Store’ Actually Taken in Northern England, Not Canada (pressprogress.ca)

As trucker convoy rolls to Ottawa, grocery stores say supply issues have ‘started to ease’ - National | Globalnews.ca

Worth reading I think, and don't miss the picture of those Hutterite extremists:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-reopen-parliament-early-for-freedom-convoys-arrival-in-ottawa

Regardless of issues and outcomes, here's the part I find noteworthy: 

This is different. It’s a protest that is taking work and time and real commitment. And it has emerged from people who hardly ever protest and certainly do not exercise protest as a hobby or routine.

As such it should be receiving much more detailed coverage, much more serious analysis, and certainly a respectful and full response from all our elected representatives than has so far been the case.

Edited by Wolfhunter

13 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Worth reading I think:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-reopen-parliament-early-for-freedom-convoys-arrival-in-ottawa

Regardless of issues and outcomes, here's the part I find noteworthy: 

This is different. It’s a protest that is taking work and time and real commitment. And it has emerged from people who hardly ever protest and certainly do not exercise protest as a hobby or routine.

As such it should be receiving much more detailed coverage, much more serious analysis, and certainly a respectful and full response from all our elected representatives than has so far been the case.

If that is the case great but reports (could be false news) are now saying the majority in the convoy are not long haul truckers who no longer can cross the border but rather "Nonvax" and other protestors. I hope that is indeed false news but I guess Friday will tell us more (As trucker convoy rolls to Ottawa, grocery stores say supply issues have ‘started to ease’ - National | Globalnews.ca if the YOW eta remains firm)

…. considering all the MPs aren’t even in Ottawa as they are working remotely and no one is actually at parliament…will kind of dampen the effect on politicians as they watch it unfold on TV…from HOME.

5 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

In Justin Trudeau's Canada, a ham sandwich is quickly becoming a luxury item.

718BFF34-4911-42E1-8660-F6DB4E3557DF.jpeg

Posted I guess by some who does not do the shopping😀.  The article posted is well within the normal price range for that weight of deli. ham at some stores.

If you shop at the real Canadian Super store, on the the other hand:

image.thumb.png.da2d73b6b238ab00646628320f27efd7.png

No name is of course cheaper.

9 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Not everyone lives in big cities. Go to any small town grocery store and prepare to add 20% to your grocery bill over your big city store.

That is the norm and has been for many years. Nothing to do with our Present Government or the supply chain. Location, location, location......