14 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

I'm pretty sure JT will win again.

He won’t “WIN” in the context of the word, but WE will BUY him another minority...I can see it all play out now....the 416 / 905 area codes will drool at all the promised freebies, which will cost them triple in taxes...total idiots.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To listen to sockboy and his idea of government .... we have your backs, from day one, clear and transparent, budgets will balance themselves, respect for parliament, blah blah blah ...... the Canadia

As absurdity spreads, even liberals are rolling their eyes. Hold on now, I thought only white supremacists did that: Eyes roll as stressed Liberal staffers offered free yoga class led by Sop

FIANLLY ..... A JOB HE CAN DO!!    

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

He won’t “WIN” in the context of the word

OK, let me put it another way. After the next election, I'm pretty sure JT will still be your PM.

And given the concentration of voting power in central Canada, that's a win in my book. All he has to do is keep the tap open to retain that support and keep winning. The minute people see that there's a cost to them the tide will turn.

If electrical bills in Ontario hadn't gone through the roof, there would be one additional (and active) thread here. 

• Thanks 1

Senior bureaucrats managing problem-plagued Phoenix pay system received nearly $2M in bonuses

The Phoenix system was troubled from its start in 2016. While many of the kinks have been ironed out, unions say there are still problems.

Executives managing the federal government’s pay service for public servants, which has been plagued with problems for years, received nearly $2 million in bonuses and performance pay over the past five years, according to a government document.

The Phoenix pay system, launched in 2016 under Justin Trudeau’s government, was troubled from the start. While many of the kinks have been ironed out, unions say there are still problems. A document, dated November 2020, obtained by Blacklock’s Reporter, shows that under the Liberals, executives managing the Phoenix system continued to receive performance pay and bonuses in the intervening years.

“Government executives working on the Phoenix pay system shouldn’t be receiving any kind of bonus while federal public service workers continue to be paid incorrectly,” said Chris Aylward, national president of the Public Sector Alliance of Canada, in a statement.

The failures of the Phoenix pay system, launched in 2016 across 34 government departments, were at their worst in early 2018, when the backlog of requests to fix pay mistakes, such as too much or too little pay, was at 384,000 requests. By June 2020, those requests had dropped to 125,000.

The auditor general, in 2018, called Phoenix an “incomprehensible failure of project management and oversight.”

There have also been controversies over performance pay in the past.  But the government has defended them as being linked to targets in fixing the problems with the Phoenix pay system, which led to tens of thousands of federal public servants being paid improperly since its implementation.

In an odd quirk, the government, at present, is proceeding with a new system to replace Phoenix, which should be ready to go by 2023, even as Phoenix’s problems are on their way to being solved.

The Parliamentary Budget Officer, in 2019, estimated that getting Phoenix functional would cost some $2.6 billion, and a replacement system would cost $57 million to put in place, plus $106 million to operate each year.

https://nationalpost.com/news/senior-government-bureaucrats-managing-the-problem-plagued-phoenix-pay-system-received-nearly-2m-in-bonuses

2 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

The Parliamentary Budget Officer, in 2019, estimated that getting Phoenix functional would cost some $2.6 billion, and a replacement system would cost $57 million to put in place, plus $106 million to operate each year.

$106 million dollars to run the pay system every year!  Who's going to run it - SNC Lavalin?

Prime Minister Trudeau rejects plea from premiers to release details of vaccine contracts

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau rejected appeals from the country’s provincial and territorial premiers Thursday to release details of the contracts the federal government has signed with various vaccine manufacturers.

Trudeau and the premiers held a First Ministers Meeting (FMM) by teleconference late Thursday afternoon, the 26th such call since the pandemic began.

But this meeting comes as the federal government  is under intense pressure to explain disruptions in the delivery schedule of vaccines from Pfizer-Biontech and from Moderna.

Both manufacturers have been unable to provide the government with any certainty in terms of shipments of vaccine either firm will be able to deliver through the month of March.

During the hour-long FMM, Trudeau made his own pitch to the premiers that they needed to help him restore public confidence in Canada’s vaccination plan. Trudeau has repeatedly said in public that Canada should have received 4 million doses of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine and 2 million doses of the Moderna vaccine by the end of March.

He also said that he expects enough vaccine will have been delivered to Canada so that, by September, any Canadian who wants a vaccine will have been able to get one.

According to sources in both premiers’ offices and in the PMO, premiers were united in their frustration with the vaccine distributions — a sense of frustration shared by the prime minister.

Trudeau, for his part, encouraged premiers to tell their constituents what he’s been saying publicly: that weekly disruptions in supplies are to be expected, but that he has been assured by the CEOs of both Pfizer and Moderna that they will meet their contractual obligations to Canada to provide a combined 6 million doses by the end of March.

But according to aides of more than one premier who participated in the meeting, premiers told Trudeau that public confidence in the federal governments ability to deliver on those commitments is beginning to fade.

As a result, Quebec Premier Francois Legault asked Trudeau to provide the first ministers with details of vaccine contracts the government has signed.

Trudeau refused, saying it would not be productive to do so, according to aides of premiers who participated on the call. Trudeau and his cabinet have similarly rejected multiple requests since December from Global News and other journalists to provide details of vaccine contracts.

This is at least the third Canadian company that we know of that could have produced vaccines but were ignored.

"In December, it emerged that Ottawa had stuck to this plan despite offers from a Montreal company to manufacture millions of doses by the end of 2020. PnuVax, a Montreal biomanufacturer, runs a Health Canada-approved facility just down the street from the Biologics Manufacturing Centre, and has an established pedigree of manufacturing Ebola and pneumonia treatments. Multiple industry sources told the Globe and Mail that it was indeed plausible for PnuVax to have been cranking out truckloads of vaccines by Christmas.

Calgary’s Providence Therapeutics had a similar story, saying that although it had developed a vaccine that successfully blocked COVID-19 transmission in mice, Ottawa ignored their appeals to have the treatment proceed to human trials."

How Ottawa utterly botched Canada's COVID vaccine acquisition

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/how-ottawa-utterly-botched-canadas-covid-vaccine-acquisition/ar-BB1dpNFc?ocid=iehp&li=AAggFp5&fbclid=IwAR2rK7bdyxA-J6hIw9kd6Ju_JhE7nSYJTMlBvMYE_R8FQakICwWAgAJIs9k

Frankly I don't blame the government for this, it falls squarely on the shoulders of voters.

Thinking that it's A-OK to rely on the likes of China for essential items is nothing short of foolish. In my own little circle, I have had this conversation with both liberal and conservative supporters many times and long before the Covid craze.. None of them get it.... they refused to acknowledge potential problems often parroting inane slogans like "a contracts a contract."

Other than compulsory military service, I see no way of stamping out the current deficiency in perspective.... I would have resisted such calls and argued against them only a short while ago. I changed my mind though; the inability to anticipate easily predictable issues is a huge problem now made worse by media propaganda spinning tales to support their political masters.

Worldly experience is so lacking now that the ability to say "wait a minute, that doesn't make sense" has been lost. If your only response to all of this is to blame Harper (or some other boogyman), I'm guessing you won't enjoy basic training very much.... but I think you would really benefit from it. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

I'm willing to bet that Conservatives knew full well the Liberals would vote against the plastics export bill, as would they if the circumstances were reversed.

It was only brought forward in anticipation of the next election and will feature prominently in the talking points when global warming, climate change (or what ever the moniker of the day happens to be) is discussed.

The surprised/shocked/sickeningly smug demeanour of the presenter only serves to make the action more obvious and more cynical IMO. Expect more of the same feigned outrage during the campaign.

Anyone expecting concrete action here will be disappointed, and those who demand it are a huge part of the problem they rail against... they have the uniquely liberal mindset of wanting that which they are unwilling to pay for.

Again I will ask where the 80 megatons/year of carbon that we need to shed (for the Paris Accord) should come from. Again I predict either total silence or some vague and useless reference to magic lightbulbs.

Send them all on a year long foreign deployment so they can grow up a bit. Right now they seem to think everyone else is as silly as they are.

A plague on both houses says I....

Edited by Wolfhunter
34 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Again I will ask where the 80 megatons/year of carbon that we need to shed (for the Paris Accord) should come from. Again I predict either total silence or some vague and useless reference to magic lightbulbs.

Send them all on a year long foreign deployment so they can grow up a bit. Right now they seem to think everyone else is as silly as they are.

A plague on both houses says I....

Evidently the average Canadian produces 15.5T of carbon per year so I guess all we need to do is to divide the 80 megatons / 15.5T and reduce the population accordingly. 🙃  easy-peasy 😀

28 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

so I guess all we need to do is to divide the 80 megatons / 15.5T and reduce the population accordingly.

Well done... that's the very first response I've ever gotten to the question.

It's a pretty important question though (I think) because the cost is a lot higher than most people think and the fix would certainly test the population's resolve.... by way of proportion, our agricultural sector produces some 60 Mts per year (depending on what you include).

The cost of getting us from 1.7% of global emissions to 1.2% would come at a staggering price. You will note that not a single Liberal tree has been planted yet. I'm just cynical enough to believe that they are waiting to do that in an orgy of planting and then claim they have achieved net zero. Our land mass already scrubs more carbon than we produce so it's a good plan.

While I may dislike JT, he has a well staffed war room and US Democrats could learn from him. 

Rex Murphy: This is the worst Canadian government ever. Can there be any question?

The country is in an economic coma. The House of Commons is a movie set. We are shamed in the international community. And the list goes on.

It’s a mess. It’s a shambles. It’s an embarrassment. It is the worst ever by any reasonable measurement.

Judging by their performance on the most important files, the current bunch in Ottawa would need to hire a consultant to figure out how to get wet in a thunderstorm, and set up a task force to study how to tie their own shoes.

Look around you. Canada is in the biggest, most persistent and threatening crisis since — well since ever. The long-term care homes are under a blizzard of mortality. There is heartbreak in every small business in the country. The worry and anxiety level of most everyday citizens — especially those not shielded by uninterrupted cheques from provincial and federal governments, and those not serving as a member of a legislature — is at an all-time high.

It’s a mess. It’s a shambles. It’s an embarrassment

This rich, sophisticated, technologically advanced and altruistic country of ours is the only G7 nation raiding vaccine supplies intended for “developing countries.” As some droll Twitter feed offered, it’s as if the many-mansioned denizens of Toronto’s Forest Hill were making raids on the food banks, and soaking up all the Canadian Tire money.

This government hoards any real details about what vaccines are here, how many are “secured” on paper only, and what they have promised to pay for them, as a miser hoards gold. Every press briefing on this most important of concerns is a dance of evasion, platitude, confused projection and sometimes just pure ignorance of what is actually the case.

They are the most deliberately obfuscatory, opaque, access-of-information-allergic administration under the democratic sun.

One year into COVID our venerated House of Commons is a disembowelled, non-functioning, neglected wreck. The targeted disrespect of the absolute and central symbol and instrument of our democracy has no parallel. No “minority” government has ever operated with the smug insouciance and patented, virtue-perfumed arrogance towards the Commons as the Trudeau government. This is, when we step back, their biggest sin.

Since 1867 no prime minister has abandoned the House of Commons and downgraded its significance for so long a period and for such obviously self-centred and political opportunistic reasons. It is so much easier, so much safer, so much more convenient — to walk from the bedroom to the one-printer office and mail in platitudes and arias of evasion via Zoom.

What other government has parted ways with a governor general, and to top it off, a governor general brought in by the world’s No. 1 “male feminist” as a role model for young women and girls? The same male-feminist who conveniently loses all his top-performing female ministers. Someone should do a “gender analytics” study on Justin Trudeau’s cabinet.

Not to worry. It has lost a finance minister over ethics charges during the mightiest spending binge since the Big Bang. An attorney general, the prime guardian of our rule of law, was hounded out because she would not bend the rule of law. The most qualified and respected woman, a doctor of medicine no less (in other words a real doctor) could not abide staying in so carelessly unethical a cabinet. Thus, at the very time Canada would have wished the most competent person to deal with a once-in-a-hundred years medical emergency, Dr. Jane Philpott is not even in the government.

No prime minister has abandoned the House of Commons for so long a period

Meantime Seamus O’Regan, the Trudeau cabinet’s favourite nomad — he takes up and puts down portfolios with the “greatest of ease,” leaving no impression behind as he goes — burbles on, during a pandemic, about planting two billion trees. Imagine, two billion. We only have about 300 billion already! Priorities I guess. Repeat after me the holy incantation: climate change, climate change, climate change. It’s better than a vaccine.

We have two hostages in the tyrannical torture houses of Chinese prisons. Those poor, suffering and tormented men must truly have been uplifted — if any news ever reaches them — to learn that their government, during a world pandemic, was collaborating with the Chinese government to “jointly develop a COVID-19 vaccine.” Remember the line from Casablanca — “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world …” — and Insert “countries” for gin joints. Of all the countries in all the world why did the Trudeau government pick …. China? Incompetence can’t cover it. We need some term that speaks of dedicated and determined, merciless and staggering wrong-headedness: the purblind leading the purblind.

We have had no budget in two years. We have spent more than any other government, by far, in our history. We have no idea where all the money has gone. The auditor general has been denied the resources to even keep track of a portion of it. There is no coherence, or trust, between the majority of the premiers and the prime minister. We have been offered occasional delights, like the celebrated comic opera of the WE brothers and the (temporary) $43-million gift to them to administer half a billion dollars of your money.

We have no idea where all the money has gone

The Liberals have given far more time and dedicated energy to the Derek Sloan affair (whatever that was) than the cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline, and the emergent threat of Alberta leaving the Confederation. (Query for serious panel discussion: Is Canada safe from Bidenism?) Alberta groans while the Trudeau government spends over $36 million for “stay-at-home chairs” for its civil service.

The country is in an economic coma. The House of Commons is a movie set. We are shamed in the international community. Contracts on COVID are all Top Secret. There is zero reliability on any projection made by a minister or the prime minister on where we are on vaccines and distribution. Rideau Hall is shortly to be listed on Airbnb. Farmers have been hit by fuel and carbon taxes. Newfoundland teeters on bankruptcy. The West has never felt so far out of things. I could go on.

Is this what was meant when the rosy words were first pronounced: Canada’s back?

To calm yourself, however, there is always this: Climate change.

Climate change. Climate change. Two billion trees. Two billion trees. Home chairs. Home chairs. Derek Sloan.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-this-is-the-worst-canadian-government-ever-can-there-be-any-question

23 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

It’s a mess. It’s a shambles. It’s an embarrassment. It is the worst ever by any reasonable measurement.

But, and it's a big but, people who like the freebees simply don't see it that way. They will vote for the party who provides the free bacon.

It reminds me of some of the conversations I've had with Greek colleagues... voters are willing to ride the horse until it collapses and then eat it; but only if they didn't actually pay for the horse. If they did, they would demand that the vet bills be covered. 

The perspective gained from those foreign deployments has real and lasting value I think. More and more I'm becoming convinced that they should be mandatory.

Edited by Wolfhunter
50 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

But, and it's a big but, people who like the freebees simply don't see it that way. They will vote for the party who provides the free bacon.

It reminds me of some of the conversations I've had with Greek colleagues... voters are willing to ride the horse until it collapses and then eat it; but only if they didn't actually pay for the horse. If they did, they would demand that the vet bills be covered. 

The perspective gained from those foreign deployments has real and lasting value I think. More and more I'm becoming convinced that they should be mandatory.

That is still why I liked "Atlas Shrugged" and still view it as a mirror, somewhat twisted, of what we see happening now.  Tax the rich, take away from the successful and give it to the idle ..... etc etc...

Devastating 200k job loss show human & financial cost of Trudeau’s failures on COVID & economy.

Canada’s jobless number rises

February 5, 2021 
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

Ottawa, ON – Pierre Poilievre, Conservative Shadow Minister for Finance, and Peter Kent, Conservative Shadow Minister for Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, released the following statement regarding Canada’s job numbers and unemployment rate:

“Canada lost 213,000 jobs in January. That’s fewer paychecks for families and even more credit card debt for households.

“The Liberals need to present a budget, their first in two years, that will get Canadians back to work and bring our economy roaring back to life. Justin Trudeau and Chrystia Freeland have left Canada with the lowest vaccination rates, biggest deficit and among the highest jobless rate in the G7.

“Conservatives are focused on securing real jobs, in real industries, for all Canadians.

“Canada needs a worker-led recovery that will unleash the true economic potential of our 20-million-person workforce in order to recover from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.  

“We will continue to work for those who have been left behind by Justin Trudeau and focus on creating prosperity and getting Canadians back to work.”

-30-