Business travel: ‘We don’t know how many people will choose to fly’ (Financial Times)

mrlupin

23 minutes ago, mrlupin said:

My apologies, my browser made it past the paywall and I didn't notice.

Outline.com usually works for me but not this time - I did get the article though when I entered We don’t know how many people will choose to fly into google

It is a good article. 

" Bill Gates told CNBC in November that “over 50 per cent of business travel and over 30 per cent of days in the office would go away” — a prediction dismissed by Ed Bastian, chief executive of Delta Air Lines, who countered that the Microsoft founder was not qualified to forecast the future of corporate travel."

"...Yet to refer to business travel as a “monolith is dangerous”, says Mark Hoplamazian, chief executive of Hyatt Hotels. “Different segments will have different impacts.”

Almost certainly the Leisure market will come back strong.  Hard to really predict how the business world will respond.   I'm of the mind that ZOOM is great for 1 hr mtgs with an agenda or simple training and it will improve but for real substantive business or training  people need face time and need to collaborate , touch, feel, improvise, emote .....

20 minutes ago, internet said:

I agree with Specs. Staring at a screen for an hour is about all I can take. Conferences or longer meetings will still need to be done in person.  

How many movies do you watch on netflix etc?   

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

How many movies do you watch on netflix etc?   

How many movies that you watch on Netflix impact your pay and working conditions? I suspect that most, if not all, are for your personal enjoyment, not to gain a leg on the competition with whom you're competing against as a business. If all business travelers do is watch movies in flight while using our premium cabins, then so be it.

People might not feel like they're ready but the management expectation that they travel will return with a vengeance the moment politicians say it is okay.

I am regularly getting complaints about my subordinates because there are certain tasks they can't complete from their kitchen tables. My position for the time being has been "deal with it, if you can explain to me why this is an emergency I will do it myself, otherwise you're just going to have to wait" but before too long this is going to be like the second day after the big snow storm and the expectations will return to normal.

20 hours ago, Specs said:

Almost certainly the Leisure market will come back strong.  Hard to really predict how the business world will respond.   I'm of the mind that ZOOM is great for 1 hr mtgs with an agenda or simple training and it will improve but for real substantive business or training  people need face time and need to collaborate , touch, feel, improvise, emote .....

100% this. I'm already starting to get Teams/Zoom burnout; it's just not the same as in-person meetings, collaboration, discussion. There's no doubt i my mind that some business travel will disappear or be reduced to varying degrees but business travel will return. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, internet said:

I agree with Specs. Staring at a screen for an hour is about all I can take. Conferences or longer meetings will still need to be done in person.  

you cannot "Network" on a zoom meeting.  At conferences, it is the side conversations over a drink that generally have the most benefit.  Some of the best conversations and development happen in the lounge over a couple of drinks.

Try that on Zoom

7 hours ago, boestar said:

you cannot "Network" on a zoom meeting.  At conferences, it is the side conversations over a drink that generally have the most benefit.  Some of the best conversations and development happen in the lounge over a couple of drinks.

Try that on Zoom

In the same way that collaboration is enhanced by the 'water cooler' conversations, lunches etc. It is also far easier to walk through an office, have quick conversations etc. that Zoom/Teams etc. do lend themselves to. The concept that huge numbers will soon be working from home, is in my opinion, not something that is going to happen.

About a month back I read a really interesting article, by a British labor leader, about his concerns on the long term ramifications of working from home.  Sorry spent 10 -15 minutes trying to find it again with no luck.

There were multiple concerns but the one that caught my eye was this.

- Most companies were seeing a productivity drop in Britain.

- Where work from home has resulted in a productivity drop, business will want their employees back in the office.  Or will want to reduce pay commensurate to the productivity loss.  10% drop in productivity would become a 10% pay cut.

- For the companies that have seen a productivity increase, the pandemic has proven those jobs can be done remotely.  Remotely as in anywhere in the world.  We could see these jobs next to go off shore.

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

About a month back I read a really interesting article, by a British labor leader, about his concerns on the long term ramifications of working from home.  Sorry spent 10 -15 minutes trying to find it again with no luck.

There were multiple concerns but the one that caught my eye was this.

- Most companies were seeing a productivity drop in Britain.

Not the one you mention but quite interesting:

The productivity pitfalls of working from home in the age of COVID-19 | Stanford News

Worker Productivity during Lockdown and Working from Home: Evidence from SelfReports

2020-12.pdf (essex.ac.uk)

I have not stepped in the office since February of last year.  Working from home agrees with me being a Toronto commuter.  

Our company has noted that with a huge staff decrease that productivity is actually up.  I do work a lot harder that before the pandemic because of increased workload but I am OK with that,

I have a good home office and a good internet connection.  

Some people like working from home and some do not.  For me, I can get up at the same time as always and not have to rush breakfast.  I head to the office and actually get an earlier start.  I DO limit myself to the 8 hour work day with the occasional late day if required operationally.  That limit is important or you end up working more hours for the same pay.

and then you could be like my daughter in Ottawa:

Last week she was on the phone from home and the Minister said that she wanted an answer "By close of business today".  It was already 1600 so my daughter wondered did she mean 'close of business in Ottawa, or Delta BC where the Minister was sitting at home with her family, or 0400 which was when my daughter signed off that morning from the day before.

Archived