The "non-aviation" forum is turning into a bigger problem than I would have expected.  Member posting/replying in this forum temporarily turned off, regular "aviation" forum continues as normal. 

Please send you opinion (by private message) on whether we should continue having a non-aviation section or not and what, if any, improvements are suggested.

Thanks

seeker

I've received private messages from many members.

Consensus seems to be that the non-aviation forum is something that people want and would miss if it was gone.  What people don't want are posts with personal attacks, racism, anti-gay statements, etc, etc.  Everyone knows the list.

Look, I'm not a lawyer and I can't write a list of;  you can do this, but you can't do that, you can say this, but you can't say that.

I expect civil discourse.  The community expects civil discourse.  Be respectful to each other. 

If necessary I will use the tools available; modifying/deleting posts, restricting posting permissions and/or banning members but my preference is self-policing and self-restraint - let's try that first.

The most contentious threads will remain locked but I have unlocked the forum for new threads.

2 hours ago, seeker said:

The most contentious threads will remain locked but I have unlocked the forum for new threads.

The threads you blocked have over a quarter of a million views ....makes no sense to me but I guess you pay the bills.  

My .02 cents.

5 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

The threads you blocked have over a quarter of a million views ....makes no sense to me but I guess you pay the bills.  

My .02 cents.

Jaydee it was only two threads which have gone on past their "best before date".

What Seeker has done is very balanced and fair. The important thing is all members of the forum are treated with respect and dignity. If one engages in debate it is the subject not the person which is academic in nature.

Seeker has made this a Forum for all to participate in which I will follow to the letter.

You can still read the previous posts so nothing is lost although I don't know how many people are going too far back in the 211 pages of the Trump thread.

Note that I said the threads are "locked" (no new posts) not "blocked" from being read.

Think of it as a fresh start. 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

You can still read the previous posts so nothing is lost although I don't know how many people are going too far back in the 211 pages of the Trump thread.

Note that I said the threads are "locked" (no new posts) not "blocked" from being read.

Think of it as a fresh start. 

Great work.