New Transport Minister

FA@AC

Interesting how Trudeau’s besties from 15 years ago not only manage to be elected, but end up as cabinet ministers!

Oreagan an Miller jump out and, of course, Butts is lurking in the background. I wonder how many of the leftovers have   lucrative federal positions.

Nothing imo.....other than bringing the Toronto Muslim vote to the liberal side....he was a real mouthpiece when he was in opposition.

Nevertheless, higher Muslim voter turnout could make a significant difference not only in ridings with high Muslim populations such as Don Valley East and Mississauga Centre, but also in key ridings in Calgary and Edmonton, according to former Liberal MP Omar Alghabra.

"I lost an election by 300 votes," says Alghabra, who represented the federal riding of Mississauga-Erindale from 2006-08.  "I know from experience that every vote counts."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ontario-imams-urging-muslims-to-vote-in-federal-election-1.3019734

40 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

What does he bring to the role of "Transport Minister"?

A good judge of character?

He said his job can also be rewarding, though, especially when complicated cases are resolved.
For instance, he pointed to the recent release of Canadian Joshua Boyle, his American wife Caitlan Coleman and their three young children by militants affiliated with the Taliban. The couple was captured by the terror group in Afghanistan in 2012 and spent five years in captivity. The family was rescued near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in October. Mr. Alghabra was actively involved in the case and was notified of the rescue plan the night before it took place. The family is now safely back in Mr. Boyle's hometown of Smiths Falls, Ont.

Joshua Boyle attempts to flee court after officer recounts arrest

Garneau is not planning to run again and will retire. Trudeau indicated he wants cabinet ministers that will be involved long term. Nothing more than that.

We may not agree on Garneau's actions but when he did pick a mission, good or bad depending on your position, he got it done. 

10 minutes ago, Bobcaygeon said:

Garneau is not planning to run again and will retire. Trudeau indicated he wants cabinet ministers that will be involved long term. Nothing more than that.

We may not agree on Garneau's actions but when he did pick a mission, good or bad depending on your position, he got it done. 

Garneau was given Foreign Affairs. Also a Cabinet portfolio.

He sounds quite excited about it. He is not retiring.

Thanks Dagger, nice to get some non biased information. I did more of search than initially and found:

Alghabra moved to Toronto when he was 19 years old to attend school. He attended grade 13 to obtain his Canadian high school diploma. Later, he completed his Bachelor of Engineering at Ryerson University.[7]

Alghabra also attended York University, where he graduated with a Master of Business Administration

Omar Alghabra - Wikipedia

Interesting that people associate race, religion and ethnic origin with Qualifications for a position.  I am more concerned that yet another MBA will be making decisions.  MBA's to date in aviation have a poor track record.

Thank you Dagger and Malcom for a proper response

1 hour ago, boestar said:

Interesting that people associate race, religion and ethnic origin with Qualifications for a position.  I am more concerned that yet another MBA will be making decisions.  MBA's to date in aviation have a poor track record.

Thank you Dagger and Malcom for a proper response

Putting political correctness aside. Race, religion and ethnic origin absolutely have an effect on one’s qualifications. These things influence decisions that a politicians/ people make everyday, but doesn’t mean that they are or aren’t “qualified”.

In the Liberal party if you are a MP under Trudeau and you told him “ I am a born again Christian and I am pro life (anti-abortion)”, you would definitely not be a cabinet minister and likely not be able to run again as a Liberal. You certainly would not qualify for government funding.

Regardless he can’t do any worse than Garneau.

Interesting that people associate race, religion and ethnic origin with Qualifications for a position

To look at it in  another, more general context.....I am not disputing the individuals academic or professional qualifications, I am merely indicating the symbology this government seems to run on. It is not about putting competent people in positions, but more what the individual represents..... remember it’s 2015.

Take for example our Minister of National Revenue......Dianne Lebouthillier......”Prior to her career in politics, she was a local social worker, managing clients out of the Rocher Percé Health and Social Services Centre in Chandler. She worked with long-time MNA Georges Mamelonet on social service issues in the region. 

Or our Minister of Natural Resources......Seamus Oreagan “In 2000, O'Regan joined talktv's current affairs program, the chatroom. He began his duties at Canada AM on December 19, 2001. On November 8, 2011, he announced that he would be leaving Canada AM on November 24, 2011 to become a correspondent for CTV National News.[1] O'Regan left CTV in 2012.[ Since leaving CTV he has occasionally been a fill-in host on radio station CFRB in Toronto,[6] and worked on independent television productions and as a media innovator in residence at Ryerson University.[6][7

The previous House Leader......Bardish Chagger....”Chagger graduated from the University of Waterloo with a bachelor's degree in science.[6] After Telegedi's defeat in 2008, Chagger became a director of special events for the Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre.[6]

The Minister of Fisheries and Oceans....Bernadette Jordan..”From 2006 to 2014, Jordan worked as a development officer for the Health Services Foundation of the South Shore, where she was in charge of organizing fund raising events for health services foundation.”

There have been some decent appointments in cabinet, but if race, sex, or ethnic origin is all that is in your cv, how else do you justify the appointment?

I will admit that the Transport Minister’s credentials are above average, he has accomplished a lot behind the scenes. I hope he will be a benefit to the portfolio (I stand corrected) and be more effective than Garneau. But I still think he is a mouthpiece.

I think trudeaus talent pool is starting to run dry. Imo.

Having seen the inner workings of the management structure of TC, I'm much more concerned with a Minister's ability to lead a department than I am with their technical expertise vis-a-vis the particular portfolio. In my 5 years, I saw very good and really bad. Technical know how had nothing to do with it.

Fair enough Dagger, and looking at Mr Algabra’s bio, he should fit well into the Transport role. My opinion of the guy was based on previous impressions when he was an MP in opposition.

I still stand by my position of MPs placed into cabinet roles where they have little or no work experience......can’t wait to see where Trudeau places newly elected Olympic paddler, Adam van koeverden.

5 minutes ago, J.O. said:

Having seen the inner workings of the management structure of TC, I'm much more concerned with a Minister's ability to lead a department than I am with their technical expertise vis-a-vis the particular portfolio. In my 5 years, I saw very good and really bad. Technical know how had nothing to do with it.

True in the aviation industry as far as flight crews go as well. I have flown with pilots who knew the manuals  inside and out but as far as leading/handling a crew........... were next to useless...

46 minutes ago, st27 said:

I still stand by my position of MPs placed into cabinet roles where they have little or no work experience......can’t wait to see where Trudeau places newly elected Olympic paddler, Adam van koeverden.

I can count on one hand the number of transport ministers in my lifetime who've had a background in any one of the modes they oversee, never mind all of them (air, rail, shipping, pipelines and TDG in all modes). You'd be lucky to find even one sitting member in each government who has a pilot's licence. They have technical staff for a reason - to advise them and keep them informed.

Archived