Incident involving Catering Truck

You have to wonder how fast the truck was moving to do what it did.

Mishap involving catering truck and plane causes flight delays at Regina airport

From Global News – link to source story

By Jonathan Guignard  Global News | January 8, 2021

Air Canada flights from Regina to Vancouver and Toronto were delayed Friday morning after a catering truck got stuck under the nose of a CRJ900 aircraft at the Regina airport. Air Canada flights from Regina to Vancouver and Toronto were delayed Friday morning after a catering truck got stuck under the nose of a CRJ900 aircraft at the Regina airport. Provided / Riley Park

Two flights at the Regina airport experienced delays on Friday after a catering truck got stuck under the nose of a CRJ900 aircraft.

The truck was stocking the plane with supplies at around 6 a.m. before getting caught underneath the aircraft, lifting up the nose of the jet, according to the Airport Authority.

Crews had to use a crane to move the Air Canada jet off of the catering truck. “Ground operating equipment — whether it be tags for luggage, catering vehicles … there can be [times] where you may have some sort of conflict, but I wouldn’t say this is a regular occurrence,” said James Bogusz, Regina Airport Authority president and CEO.

“Certainly not one that would delay an aircraft for a few hours.”

Air Canada confirmed that delayed flights were to Vancouver and Toronto. Its maintenance team is inspecting the plane for damage.

“No passengers were onboard at the time of the incident,” Air Canada said in a statement emailed to Global News on Friday. “We sincerely apologize to our passengers for the disruptions.”

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

It was "positioning" at the aircraft. 

Not saying this was operator error (it may have been a mechanical fault), but I can't tell you the number of times I see ground staff (fuelers, caterers, ramp crews etc) taking no care or control of the jobs they are doing.  Not all... there are many excellent and conscientious workers out there as well who set the example.  But watching some of these workers treating multi-million dollar airplanes and their work environment like its an amusement park is frustrating.

Especially knowing there are laid off workers who do a professional job. 

Put down the damned phones, slow down, give extra space and show some mechanical sympathy.  Have some pride.

20 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

It was "positioning" at the aircraft. 

Not saying this was operator error (it may have been a mechanical fault), but I can't tell you the number of times I see ground staff (fuelers, caterers, ramp crews etc) taking no care or control of the jobs they are doing.  Not all... there are many excellent and conscientious workers out there as well who set the example.  But watching some of these workers treating multi-million dollar airplanes and their work environment like its an amusement park is frustrating.

Especially knowing there are laid off workers who do a professional job. 

Put down the damned phones, slow down, give extra space and show some mechanical sympathy.  Have some pride.

When training staff that drove vehicles on the ramp, I always emphasized the need to (at a distance where one could steer clear of the aircraft) to come to a complete stop (ensuring that the brakes were working) and then slowly approach the aircraft. 

Archived