Feds to replace CC-137 Polaris fleet (the old WD A310s)

dagger

The federal government - well, DoD - has decided to replace the Polaris fleet with a combination of troop transport/VIP aircraft and tankers for aerial refueling. About time. anyway, we can look forward to a new A vs B competition, providing Boeing can get its act together on the KC-46. Airbus has the 330 tanker version, which presumably has a bit of commonality with the passenger 330. The 330Neo might be an acceptable replacement for the VIP plane and backup. It's been slow seller, and A badly needs a prestige boost. Boeing isn't building passenger 767s, so it's offer would likely include the 787. Of course, the smart thing to do right now would be to hit the used market, at least for the passenger transports, as there are likely to be a lot of good quality, recently built widebodies available at a steep discount.

Well in this day and age, NDHQ won't have to worry about qualified DND pilots, on what ever aircraft they get, rushing out the doors to join an airline ?.

Years ago....many years ago,  DND actually asked the Canadian major carriers and Charter carriers to cease and desist recruiting from DND.

I was teaching aerodynamics to  new group of DND pilots and at the end of the introduction speech, on day one, of the course  i had this brand new, out of the end of the pipeline, pilot ask me how long would it take before he could get a Transport Canada check ride for his ATPL on the C-130. ?

47 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Well in this day and age, NDHQ won't have to worry about qualified DND pilots, on what ever aircraft they get, rushing out the doors to join an airline ?.

Thing is, by the time the new aircraft are on the ramp, at least 10 years will have passed, the pandemic will be a distant memory, and there will be a shortage of crew again...

7 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I was teaching aerodynamics to  new group of DND pilots and at the end of the introduction speech, on day one, of the course  i had this brand new, out of the end of the pipeline, pilot ask me how long would it take before he could get a Transport Canada check ride for his ATPL on the C-130. ?

An instructor at regional walked into the room for their first Embraer E-Jet ground school and said "Welcome future JetBlue crew members" knowing none of them would stick around.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:00 PM, dagger said:

Boeing isn't building passenger 767s, so it's offer would likely include the 787. Of course, the smart thing to do right now would be to hit the used market, at least for the passenger transports, as there are likely to be a lot of good quality, recently built widebodies available at a steep discount.

Boeing offered to build new passenger 767s for United.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:12 PM, Super 80 said:

Boeing offered to build new passenger 767s for United.

That was 7-8 years ago. It's possible but Boeing is pretty tainted these days and the KC-46A hasn't exactly been a great program anyway...

My play money thinks they'll just go straight to the A330/KC-30 MRTT and be done with it. Buy it off the shelf and then modify it somewhere in Quebec.

The A310's are called CC-150's btw.

The initial offer was made in 2017 when it appeared United was poised for an A330 order, it was a moot point as United bought additional 787s instead.

As of a year ago Boeing was still open to the possibility of building pax 767s if the market demanded.

Just think.  The first crash of a 737 Max after they go back into service will cripple Boeing financially and Leave the FAA with mud on its face and zero credibility.

It should, by all accounts, be the safest aircraft flying after this.  I am not sure thats the case though.

Archived