No Noise - - - No Vibration ???

Kip Powick

5 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

This brought back memories from 30 years ago (or more) of an A320 in YEG that was due to make a flight to YWG.  It was determined that the gear would have to be extended the whole way (I cannot remember why)

Dispatch came up with a fuel figure to accomplish this and now we just had to determine IF any passengers wanted to go along for the ride.  I had the task of making the announcement in the hold room and explained that it was going to be a bit noisier and take awhile longer, but the flight would be safe and since it would be flying much lower the view would be great.

Not one person desired not to go!  

I was surprised that the flight took only about 10 to 15 minutes longer.

16 hours ago, Tango Foxtrot said:

Does the over speed warning on an A320 change with aircraft configuration?  There's no mention of an inspection of the aircraft for too much speed with the gear down ?

the article stated that the aircraft never exceeded the max gear extension speed.

13 hours ago, Fido said:

This brought back memories from 30 years ago (or more) of an A320 in YEG that was due to make a flight to YWG.  It was determined that the gear would have to be extended the whole way (I cannot remember why)

Dispatch came up with a fuel figure to accomplish this and now we just had to determine IF any passengers wanted to go along for the ride.  I had the task of making the announcement in the hold room and explained that it was going to be a bit noisier and take awhile longer, but the flight would be safe and since it would be flying much lower the view would be great.

Not one person desired not to go!  

I was surprised that the flight took only about 10 to 15 minutes longer.

Yeah back about the same time frame we had a 767-200 fly gear down from (I think) YYC to YYZ.  No Pax though.  Straight to the hangar and up on Jacks

Casual observation from the back as a pax, but on the AC fleet of 320 series, the Emergency Exit signs all light up with 3 Green, and extinguish when the gear is retracted (chime included).  Maybe that's a customer configuration or an procedural setting/result, but if they operate the same way, you'd think an F/A might have the brains to call up front after a while and ask if "everything is ok".  Situational Awareness was obviously left on the shelf that day.

I think boestar nailed it... no brains.  

1 hour ago, Canoehead said:

Casual observation from the back as a pax, but on the AC fleet of 320 series, the Emergency Exit signs all light up with 3 Green, and extinguish when the gear is retracted (chime included).  Maybe that's a customer configuration or an procedural setting/result, but if they operate the same way, you'd think an F/A might have the brains to call up front after a while and ask if "everything is ok". 

Since the days when ICAO banned smoking on flights, that has been the standard configuration from the factory. I haven't seen any examples of a variation from that standard in at least 20 years. As to the lack of communications between the crew, I think you've identified a key area of concern.

Does the airbus have protections built in for that.  If the Computer has the limits, there is no reason it cannot be software controilled to remain below the altitude and speed limits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tango Foxtrot said:

Thanks boestar. 280 knots ?

I find it difficult to believe that an  A320 does not have enough power to climb past 24,000 ft with it's gear down. And we are to believe that you can't over speed the gear either ?

Comments from A320 people please. 

I was wondering the same thing, about not having enough power to overcome that additional drag. I simply don't believe it.