Travel during the continuing PANDEMIC

And while the Can/Us border remains locked, even though the US is miles ahead of in vaccinations (Florida alone has vaccinated more people....7.1 mill...than has been in all of Canada!) infected flights continue to arrive:

An unrealistic hope of herd immunity fuelled the re-opening, she explained — bolstered by 21% of Delhi residents testing positive for COVID-19 antibodies.

New cases promptly spiked, growing from about 15,000 on March 8 to Thursday’s new high of 132,000.

That was also when Canada started recording an increase in COVID-19 infected airline passengers from Delhi, with  13 landing in Toronto between Feb 4. and Feb 14. increasing to 21 between March 4 and March 20 and 23 flights between March 21 and April 1 , according to two-week Health Canada data.

While India banned international flights last month, Canada is one of 13 nations exempted via an ‘air bridge’ arrangement between the two governments.

Toronto sees two regular daily flights from Delhi, via Air Canada and Air India.

Passenger manifests provided to theSun show these flights are regularly booked to capacity — AC 43, a 63-row Boeing 777 that touched down in Toronto from Delhi early Thursday morning, flew with 364 passengers in its 400 available seats.

Tell me why Canada is one of the exempted air bridge countries, if the government is so worried about infected travellers?

13 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Take a moment and reflect upon your numerous posts on this subject and ask why you have taken such an immutable position.

As has been reported, there is currently a very significant amount of cross-border traffic mostly represented by the transportation industry and "essential" workers.

maybe because I am not a "Snow Bird" who maintains residents in both countries......

Also of course: Coronavirus Update (Live): 136,241,302 Cases and 2,941,838 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

image.png.7e8c6acc53aed9af6ce3cbcc1a2941ca.png

image.png.2831f70a37bddbde4be1f4bdc23eacde.png

no COUNT OF CURRENT CASES SHOWN FOR CANADA

I have no objection to the movement of traffic mostly represented by the transportation industry and "essential" workers but do question any need for vacation travel. 

I suspect you are on other hand are in favour for your own personal reasons.  

19 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

maybe because I am not a "Snow Bird" who maintains residents in both countries...... I have no objection to the movement of traffic mostly represented by the transportation industry and "essential" workers but do question any need for vacation travel. 

There are those like myself who have a son and his family just across the border. I'd sure like to see them. There are all the small businesses that are failing. For example my son has a business in Blaine. He has had to lay off all his employees and run it on his own and still not be making money. It isn't just about vacation travel.

That is just one example and there are others who are hurting a lot more than that.

Edited by GDR
  • Like 1

Yesterday we had over 7000 new cases, today,( Sunday ),we have over 4000 new cases at 11:30 EST

The entire COVID issue in Canada was, and is, a "dumpster fire," and the main reason is that politicians don't want to PO anyone because they want their vote in the next election, Provincial and Federal.

If the Feds and the Provincial Govt had "lowered the hammer" at the beginning we might be just as clean as New Zealand 

PS...Trying to help out an elderly couple who are not proficient on computers.....3 days later I think I know why they can not get "shot" appointments in SE Ontario...I believe that there is, at this time, no vaccine available in this area HOWEVER...there is NOT one word on any website advising people who want to book that "BOOKING ARE NOT AVAILABLE...TRY AGAIN LATER" and there is NOT one phone number listed where you can get info about the website....has it crashed, is it broken, what gives???..

In frustration I drove to the "shot centre" here in "Dotville" and it is locked up tight although their time of operations says it is open.

The worst maintenance of a critical website I have ever seen.

52 minutes ago, GDR said:

There are those like myself who have a son and his family just across the border. I'd sure like to see them. There are all the small businesses that are failing. For example my son has a business in Blaine. He has had to lay off all his employees and run it on his own and still not be making money. It isn't just about vacation travel.

That is just one example and there are others who are hurting a lot more than that.

I can sympathize as we have children and grandchildren in BC that I would love to visit but current rules do not allow that 

Indoor gatherings

No indoor social gatherings of any size at your residence with anyone other than your household or, if you live alone, your core bubble. For example:

• Do not invite friends or extended family inside your residence or vacation accommodation
  • Do not host a party or event inside your house

As far as businesses closing..... lots in Canada but most not because of a lack of cross border traffic.

6 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

I can sympathize as we have children and grandchildren in BC that I would love to visit but current rules do not allow that 

As far as businesses closing..... lots in Canada but most not because of a lack of cross border traffic.

I guess we all wonder "what if" the current restrictions were removed and our borders etc. were thrown open? Would we see a wave of tourist traffic from the US and others?  Would this result in increased cases / costs here?  Not sure I would want to find out.  Within Canada I am also in favour of some restrictions:

1. Instead of blanket provincial restrictions, why not zonal ones?\

2. Testing travellers for the virus when they cross Provincial Borders (by land, sea or air) so as to lessen the spread.  

I think that the powers at be have to start adapting to the reality that this pandemic is not going away for a variety of reasons in the short term.....agree with the idea of zonal restrictions...why lock down rural areas when the major infection sites are in metro Toronto? Why lockdown the land  border with the US (when the US CDC has advised against travel to Canada) when every second car on the 401 between Kingston and Prescott is from Quebec? Why prevent people who want to go to their seasonal residences via land crossings (  who pay taxes and are vaccinated and tested) when there is a steady flow of airtravelers coming into the country from their “seasonal” residences??

Nothing is making sense.

B.C. sees uptick in COVID-19 flight exposures, 82 flights added in single week

Published Sunday, April 11, 2021 9:39AM PDT

VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added 23 more flights to its list of COVID-19 exposures on Friday and Saturday.

The latest additions to the list mean the BCCDC posted notifications about 82 different flights during the week of Sunday, April 4, to Saturday, April 10.

Eleven of the flights added to the list during the last week were international. The rest, some 87 per cent of the week's additions, were domestic. 

The flights added either took off from or landed at a B.C. airport in late March or early April.

While CTV News Vancouver does not have a weekly tally of the number of flights the BCCDC has added to the list since the pandemic began, available evidence on the centre's website shows that the number of B.C. flights with COVID-19 cases on board has been increasing in recent weeks.

As of Saturday, the BCCDC COVID-19 flight exposures list had 149 flights connected to B.C. airports in March, for an average of fewer than five flights per day. But the exposures in March were not evenly distributed and as the month dragged on, the pace of exposures picked up.

One-hundred of the 149 exposures happened after March 15 (an average of more than six per day), and 83 of them took place on March 20 or later (more than seven per day).

The increasing number of exposures on flights parallels the rising number of COVID-19 infections Canada has seen in recent weeks. On Friday, the country saw its highest-ever single-day total for new cases. 

Details of the 23 most recently added flights follow.

•  March 28: Air Canada flight 233 from Edmonton to Vancouver (rows 27 to 33)
  •  March 28: Air Canada/Jazz flight 8414 from Vancouver to Kelowna (rows 11 to 17)
  •  March 29: Air Canada flight 124 from Vancouver to Toronto (rows 12 to 14)
  •  March 29: Air Canada flight 8419 from Kelowna to Vancouver (rows five to 11)
  •  March 31: Air Canada flight 45 from Delhi to Vancouver (rows 22 to 28)
  •  April 1: Harbour Air flight YB238 from Victoria to Vancouver (rows unknown)
  •  April 1: Air Canada flight 212 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows 17 to 23 and 26 to 32)
  •  April 1: WestJet flight 720 from Vancouver to Toronto (rows 13 to 19)
  •  April 2: Air Canada flight 246 from Vancouver to Edmonton (rows 22 to 28)
  •  April 2: Air Canada flight 306 from Vancouver to Montreal (rows 32 to 38)
  •  April 2: Air India flight 185 from Delhi to Vancouver (rows not reported)
  •  April 3: WestJet flight 136 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows one to four)
  •  April 4: Air Canada flight 104 from Vancouver to Toronto (rows 26 to 30)
  •  April 4: Swoop flight 182 from Abbotsford to Edmonton (rows not reported)
  •  April 5: WestJet flight 112 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows seven to 13)
  •  April 5: Air Canada flight 201 from Calgary to Vancouver (rows 25 to 31)
  •  April 6: WestJet flight 449 from Calgary to Victoria (rows four to 10)
  •  April 6: Air Canada flight 7 from Vancouver to Hong Kong (rows 38 to 44)
  •  April 6: Air Canada flight 212 from Vancouver to Calgary (rows 15 to 21)
  •  April 7: Air Canada flight 128 from Vancouver to Toronto (rows 32 to 36)
  •  April 7: Air India flight 185 from Delhi to Vancouver (rows not reported)
  •  April 7: Air Canada flight 233 from Calgary to Vancouver (rows 19 to 25)
  •  April 8: Air Canada flight 8625 from Winnipeg to Vancouver (rows unknown)

Anyone who was on any of the listed flights should self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, seeking testing and self-isolating if any develop, according to the BCCDC.

Passengers who were seated in the rows listed are considered to be at greater risk of contracting COVID-19 because of their proximity to a confirmed case of the disease.

International travellers are required to provide proof of a negative coronavirus test before being allowed to board flights bound for Canada. They are also required to self-isolate for 14 days after arriving in the country. The first three nights of that quarantine must be spent in a government-approved hotel.

No such requirements exist for domestic travellers, though health officials continue to warn against non-essential travel within Canada.

B.C. health officials do not directly contact everyone who was on a flight that had a coronavirus case on board. Instead, notifications are published on the BCCDC website.

9 hours ago, Kargokings said:

maybe because I am not a "Snow Bird" who maintains residents in both countries......

Also of course: Coronavirus Update (Live): 136,241,302 Cases and 2,941,838 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

image.png.7e8c6acc53aed9af6ce3cbcc1a2941ca.png

image.png.2831f70a37bddbde4be1f4bdc23eacde.png

no COUNT OF CURRENT CASES SHOWN FOR CANADA

I have no objection to the movement of traffic mostly represented by the transportation industry and "essential" workers but do question any need for vacation travel. 

Apparently, you are reuctant to engage in critical analysis which requires some degree of objectivity.

Maintaining residences in two or more countries simply evidences one's financial means or frugality or a fortutious selection of parents but certainly does not indicate an absence of concern with the physical health of others. Did you think it did?

You apparently don't understand that I have in fact participated in cross-border travel since the Canada-US border was "closed" and I have adapted as necessary to the environment in which I exist....much like this Covid virus.

The issue for discussion....one which you avoid...is whether current restrictions to cross-border traffic in fact enhance public health; do they demonstrably inhibit the transfer of the virus to innocent, stay-at-home Canadians?

As rhetorically asked above, would similar restrictions upon domestic travel be as or more effective? If so....why has the government not imposed those restrictions?

Would country-specific restrictions be effective? Should Canada restrict travel originating in India, for example?

Personally, I believe that I am much safer where I reside in the US than I would be in many places in Canada.

Leaving that aside....I do not hesitate to acknowledge that I am almost daily engaged in a personal debate on which approach to the Covid virus is most efficient from a social, economical and medical perspective...and wherein lies the balance.

Should John Doe have the right to dine in at a restaurant; does he have the right to make an informed decision?

Can Mary object to the exercise of that freedom given Mary's ability to isolate and protect herself from John?

Are we primarily concerned that John's acceptance of the risk and the realization of same might over-burden our health care system? If that is the motivator, then ipso fact, as a society, we should prohibit or regulate all activity that carries a risk that collectively we believe to be economically unacceptable.

Kargo....THAT is what I mean by critical analysis.

Too easy by far to accuse you of finger-pointing at cross-border travellers because you don't have the same mobility.

France moves to ban short-haul domestic flights

Published
4 hours ago

French lawmakers have moved to ban short-haul internal flights where train alternatives exist, in a bid to reduce carbon emissions.

Over the weekend, lawmakers voted in favour of a bill to end routes where the same journey could be made by train in under two-and-a-half hours.

Connecting flights will not be affected, however.

The planned measures will face a further vote in the Senate before becoming law.

Airlines around the world have been severely hit by the coronavirus pandemic, with website Flightradar24 reporting that the number of flights last year were down almost 42% from 2019.

The measures could affect travel between Paris and cities including Nantes, Lyon and Bordeaux.

But the French government had faced calls to introduce even stricter rules on domestic flights.

France's Citizens' Convention on Climate, which was created by President Emmanuel Macron in 2019 and included 150 members of the public, had proposed scrapping plane journeys where train journeys of under four hours existed.

Saturday's vote came days after the French government more than doubled its stake in Air France. The government had previously offered €7bn ($8.3bn, £6bn) in loans to help the airline weather the pandemic, although France's economy minister said at the time the funding was dependent on the airline scrapping some of its domestic flights.

This is not the first time similar measures have been introduced.

Last year, Austrian Airlines replaced a flight route between the capital Vienna and the city of Salzburg with an increased train service, after receiving a government bailout with provisions to cut its carbon footprint.