Jump to content

On the Lighter side....

Kip Powick

Recommended Posts

Out of the "I WAS THERE" vault....


Me and Angie

DK “Kip” Powick




She was standing just outside the line of fire, a quizzical look on her face. It was becoming intense as Ron threw three times and hit the intended target exactly where he was aiming and now we were only one turn away from beating  the other team and declaring us the “best of the crew”….and those throws were mine……..time to be a Wardair legend in jolly old England !

I looked over at her and she smiled but it was a forced and confused smile. Ron and I discussed our strategy for what were to be my  final winning throws.

We had run our point total down to 20  and it was a matter of discussing how I should double out because doubling out to zero is a mandatory requirement in the dart game of  501. We discussed our numerical options.

“You wanna go high with a dozen eggs,(12)  and split 8, (double 4) ?” asked Ron.

We had beaten three other teams of Flight Attendants, it was getting late and I felt it would be  better if I went low.

”How about sweet 16 and double deuce, (2) ?”

“Your call “ replied Ron.

I lined up, made sure my toe wasn’t over the line, and threw my first dart and aced the 16. Now two throws to get that double 2. If the second dart did not get it, I wanted to be at least close  to the double 2 ring  and with a constant throwing rhythm, walk my final dart into that double 2  ring. My second throw  landed about a quarter of an inch outside the double 2 ring. I  had a good  throwing rhythm going so let the last dart go. It sailed to the double 2 ring, dropped a mosquito’s whisker  low, hit the outer wire of the double 2 and toppled to the floor…….A loud groan could be heard…from me. Our competition doubled out and it was all over but  we had won three of the four games…

Angie walked over and asked me how the game was played. As I stood there and explained the basic premise and rules of the dart game I noticed that she had, what I thought, were two pale grey eyes but as we continued talking I noticed that one eye had a fleck of blue within the grey. All in all, she was a very attractive young lady and her eyes just enhanced her good looks. I would guess she was about  half my age, but I sensed her mind set was that of an older woman.

During the next year I flew about a dozen pairings with her and I discovered we both had a love for music of the 50’s and 60’s and often during flight, when cruising at altitude, she would come up and name a song and see if I knew the artist. She also exuded a very quiet but brilliant sense of humour. During layovers she seemed to keep to herself other than the occasional crew dinner and seemed content to be the “quiet” one …She was an admirable Flight Attendant we often received glowing comments about her excellent service from deplaning passengers.

My wife and I decided to fly to Hawaii for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and that flight afforded me the opportunity to have  her to meet Angie, as she was working the flight. During the flight Angie did come to our seats, just as I was leaving for the restroom, so I introduced them to each other and left. When I came back Angie was just leaving, and my wife was smiling. “She certainly is a very nice young lady”, she said, “and her eyes are truly captivating !”

As we exited the aircraft Angie gave me a hug and at the same time shoved a bottle of wine in my jacket and whispered, “I liked her right away…you are a lucky man !”

My last flights with Angie  was Toronto to Vancouver, with a layover, and then back to Toronto. The Captain was a Vancouver pilot who  could now hold Captain status in Toronto and had not moved his family East yet so upon arrival,  would just go to his  home in Vancouver. My Mother lived in White Rock and my Stepfather was in a nursing home in the same area. He was in his  declining  years with progressive dementia and if I had the  time, I would rent a car, drive to White Rock, make a short visit to my Stepfather, and then remain overnight with my Mom.

In Wardair days the company would pay a crew member $30.00 if one did not use a hotel room and in my case the money did help offset the car rental. On this flight Angie was the only Flight Attendant I really knew so thought I would ask her for a favour. During flight to Vancouver  I asked if, when she got a room in the Richmond Inn, I could use her bathroom to change out of my flying costume into civvies, leave my costume in her room and come back the next  morning, change for work again, and explained the reasons for the request.

She smiled and said that would not be a problem and asked that I just stand back and let her get the key and then we would head for her room in the Richmond Inn.

At the hotel all the Flight Attendants were crowded around Reception in a hurried attempt to get a room key and then head over to the Richmond Centre mall to browse and shop. Angie got a key, came over to me smiling and as everyone was milling around, grabbed my arm and said, just a touch loud….”Hey Kip, I have the key for our room …let’s go !”. I dutifully followed her, with no comment, but I could sense the rest of the crew were staring at us as we headed down the hallway. 

I changed and headed out the door, never encountered any of the crew, grabbed a rental car and was off. The next morning, I was back at the Richmond Inn and at  her door at the agreed upon time. Changed into my flying costume once more and then Angie asked that I stay until she was ready to go to the hotel lobby. I asked her what she did while during her layover and she stated that she never left her room, watched some TV, worked with her laptop. and had room service for her meal.

My brain snapped with the realization that what had transpired yesterday, at Hotel Reception, might look like to the rest of the crew even though I had gone  to White Rock and Angie  stayed in in her room all night. She saw the expression on my face and knew I had figured it out and asked if I would just play along with her  as she felt it would be a great gag and it would be fun to be able to see the crew’s reaction. I feel I have a good sense of humour so agreed  We entered the lobby dragging our wheeled mini- trunks and silence suddenly permeated the air. All the crew turned and looked at us. Angie gave my arm a little squeeze, smiled at me and turned in the key and at that moment I looked out the Hotel entrance  and told everyone the crew bus had arrived. We loaded, Angie sat beside me,  and it was a very quiet ride to the Vancouver Airport.

I filled the Captain in on our prank and about halfway through the flight back to Toronto Angie came to the flight deck, laughing, and advised us that she told the rest of the  cabin crew what really had happened. Apparently, there were those that believed her but a couple that were skeptical of her story finally relented and accepted Angie’s story.

 I never did find out who the Flight Attendant was that said to Angie, “ I never really thought it  happened……. after all  he is so old !”.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copied from Facebook CPAir Employees
An Airbus 380 is on its way across the Atlantic. It flies consistently at 800 km/h in 30,000 feet, when suddenly a Eurofighter with Tempo Mach 2 appears.The pilot of the fighter jet slows down, flies alongside the Airbus and greets the pilot of the passenger plane by radio: "Airbus flight, boring flight isn’t it? Take care and have a look here!” He rolls his jet on its back, accelerates, breaks through the sound barrier, rises rapidly to a dizzying height, only to swoop down almost to sea level in a breathtaking dive. He loops back next to the Airbus and asks, "Well, how was that?"
The Airbus pilot answers: "Very impressive, but now have a look here!" The jet pilot watches the Airbus, but nothing happens. It continues to fly stubbornly straight, with the same speed. After five minutes, the Airbus pilot radioed, "Well, what are you saying now?"
The jet pilot asks, confused: "What did you do?" The other laughs and says, "I got up, stretched my legs, went to the back of the flight to the bathroom, got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon cake."
The moral of the story is: When you are young, speed and adrenaline seems to be great. But as you get older and wiser, comfort and peace are not to be despised either. This is called S.O.S.: Slower, Older, Smarter.
Dedicated to all my friends who, like me, enjoys the S.O.S. approach!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One sunny day in January 2021 an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue, where he'd been sitting on a park bench.  He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Trump." The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr Trump is no longer President and no longer resides here." The old man said, "Okay", and walked away.
The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Trump." The Marine repeated, "Sir, as I told you yesterday, Mr Trump is no longer President and no longer resides here." The man thanked him and, again, just walked away.
The third day, the old man approached the White House and spoke to the very same U.S. Marine, saying again, "I would like to go in and meet with President Trump." The Marine, understandably irritated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you've been here asking to speak to Trump. I've told you each time that he's no longer the President and no longer resides here. Don't you get it?" The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it."
The Marine snapped to attention and said, "See you tomorrow, Sir."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...