That Time Robert Milton Called Me

Oh Mitch, how I've missed you! I love how you've always called a spade a shovel, no matter who the audience. It's a gift. 

I didn't have a dog in the fight but I've always agreed with you on how the merger was handled. If the intention wasn't to create rifts across employee groups and cause a decade of damage to corporate culture, they sure fooled me!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mitch, I remember that well! When you posted that it just sent a chill down my spine like few things ever have. 

I've wondered in the past how I would have handled that and I doubt it would been as well as you did.

Great to see you here again! 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

probably wearing a suit and tie

I doubt Robert ever wore a suit and tie to the office unless he was going somewhere else.

• Like 1

Thanks for telling us that story Mitch. You were always well respected at work. A little scary looking with that beard, but well liked and respected. Hope you won’t be a stranger here. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little scary looking with that beard,

These days, sanity and smarts appear to come in strange packages while wild-eyed, stupid, monstrous insanity is almost invisible against the background chaos. The raised eybrow that used to signal that heresies have been spoken no longer exists; in its place, wrinkled foreheads, derisive attitudes and speaking moistly.

The more trips around the sun one has, the sharper the distinction between 'em. Foreheads sporting a reversed "GE" symbol or "Frigidair" emblem belong to the oldest or most aware.

Fiddle on, Nero (see meaning below). The world needs you.

Edited by Don Hudson
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

These days, sanity and smarts appear to come in strange packages while wild-eyed, stupid, monstrous insanity is almost invisible against the background chaos. The raised eybrow that used to signal that heresies have been spoken no longer exists; in its place, wrinkled foreheads, derisive attitudes and speaking moistly.

The more trips around the sun one has, the sharper the distinction between 'em. Foreheads sporting a reversed "GE" symbol or "Frigidair" emblem belong to the oldest or most aware.

Fiddle on, Nero. The world needs you.

Hmmm Don: I am sure you didn't see this before offering the advice for Nero  😀

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/donald-trump-nero-meme_n_5e658685c5b68d61645632c2?ri18n=true

Hi Marshall - thank you good sir, absolutely true!

Somebody had said that to me decades ago when we were having a terrible time getting an airline's FOQA/FDA Program off the ground - to me, keep on fiddlng meant keep going even if everyone is throwing logs in front of your horses. I kept the saying, but never thought of the original myth/story, ignored Milton and just kept pushing! 

. . .we still need a lot more Cronins around 'specially now.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

Hi Marshall - thank you good sir, absolutely true!

Somebody had said that to me decades ago when we were having a terrible time getting an airline's FOQA/FDA Program off the ground - to me, keep on fiddlng meant keep going even if everyone is throwing logs in front of your horses. I kept the saying, but never thought of the original myth/story, ignored Milton and just kept pushing! 

. . .we still need a lot more Cronins around 'specially now.

Re Mitch, although he and I do disagree from time to time (Maybe most of the time   😀😀 ) ,  I agree and hope he continues to post.  👍

Honestly said, and I suspected so but I think in differences there can be a meeting/changing of minds, at least "in the old days". Around 2015 here, I said to DEFCON, that I'm a "child of the Enlightenment". These days I am an anachronism (but not a fossil !), and so it is very difficult to have such discussions outside one's (new) "tribe" without their permission, risking their wrath, social isolation, etc.

The reasons for why have their seeds in the early 70's when democracy was first seriously being questioned. It's partly to do then as now, with changing demographics too, & partly to do with neoliberal politics which favour market forces vs. morality and corporatism vs. social values. I wrote this in 2011.

And before everyone draws in another breath sharply, I'll leave it at that.  😄

Thanks again for the observation.

Edited by Don Hudson
  • Haha 1

Hi Mitch,

I've been a reader of this forum for a long time and have always enjoyed your posts.  I wondered if you had just moved on from posting.  Dec 22, 2003 you posted what I felt were some very heart felt words in discussing my dads flight.  Some incorrectly speculated and arm chair QB about the course of events but you put yourself out there and genuinely showed you cared.  I'm glad your doing better.

https://theairlinewebsite.com/topic/10770-ac-a330-fuel-leak-pics-yvr/

I wanted to add a Robert Milton story if I could.  My dad was dead heading on a Tango or Zip flight.  He bought a bottle of wine for the seat mates next to him thanking them for supporting AC post bankruptcy.  Short time later a bottle of wine showed up at the door with a letter from Milton.   

Take Care

Tyler Ferguson

• Thanks 3

Thanks for that Tyler! I quite enjoyed reading through that thread just now. I feel like I've forgotten more than I ever knew that I knew, by now, but reading through that helped remind me of a time when I still knew a couple of things about airplanes. ;) I remember that incident now and I'd guess you probably know all about what had caused it. Our written mtc procedures were modified afterwards to make sure any leak checks we did after opening fuel lines on engines included adding sufficient power to be sure said fuel lines were well pressurized. As I recall in that case the boys in YVR had done an idle leak check, but that hadn't provided enough pressure to discover the problem.

That's a good Milton story. I've heard a few of them. I always thought he could have been a damned good leader, if he'd had either the will or maybe the right advice? He sure had the charm.

The bugger never sent me a bottle! (Rum, if you're listening Robert! :D )

Cheers,

Mitch

Thanks for sharing this great story Mitch. Perhaps it’ll be a chapter in someone’s book about all that has happened after deregulation in this country. Now there’s a retirement project for the right person  

Some 20 years later I’m forgetting the merger details but it seems their results always leave a group of people upset. I’ve recently talked to some former CP guys who still hold a grudge as the stroke of a pen affected the balance of their working lives and retirement. 

Glad you’re still doing well. Any music happening in your retired life? I recall you posted a well played tune on AEF with some of your band mates. 

Edited by blues deville
  • Thanks 1

Hi Blues. Thanks for the thoughts. I doubt it's a great story, but it is funny if you can see it in the right light. :)

I've learned that with mental illness, confidence goes awol, so that's restricted my music considerably. I stopped playing anything for a while. I'll still pick up my acoustic guitar, maybe every other day for some light fiddling, but that's about it nowadays. I miss the jamming with the boys on Thursday nights though... Maybe another time I'll get back at something like that. I always enjoyed the times when everyone is contributing to the music and just soaking in the moment, like a group meditation.

Anyway, it's good to see you're still kicking around here. Surprising to think of the years gone by... 

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 1

Hi Mitch..

Not too many know I went out the door with little fan fare,(my request),  but did invite two persons to have breakfast with me after I dropped off my security pass.

Still have the photo of you and me by the pickup truck and still occasionally hear from CPFA.

Best of luck buddy...I am into year 18 of retirement and only dropped in at home to check the property........back to the boat tomorrow

Be safe.

Kip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1