That Time Robert Milton Called Me

Some of you will remember, and some of you probably thought I was lying... I couldn't tell the whole tale at the time, but I'm retired now and nobody will take offence, I don't think.

I was off work at the time, on disability for what I was first told by my doctor was, "sleep deprivation", but had then been diagnosed as, "depression", by a psychiatrist. All I knew was I was in a hell of a state. I'd just returned from a visit to the psychiatrist in Toronto and I was shaky as hell. I never have liked the city and any visits anywhere near downtown got my nerves spinning. Visiting the shrink was also a particularly nerve rattling affair for me anyway. So I sat in my office at home,  smoked a joint to relax me a little as I read through posts on the AEF, and I came across some conversation about how Milton had presided so well over the AC/CDN merger (or something like that). 

I thought he'd blown it badly. We all know the results of that merger and I won't go into it other than to say that what I had witnessed didn't make any sense financially. So I had my opinions.

Now, being an opinionated arsehole who isn't shy about voicing those opinions, I added my thoughts to the thread and said something like, "If he doesn't think he blew it, he's an idiot". ...then within a few minutes of hitting the "Submit" button on that post, my telephone rang. 

Now, please remember, I'm just a poorly educated slug, who'd crawled my way out of the lower end of the 'grunt labourer' world, by pushing myself back to school as a married and unemployed bum, to learn the craft of aircraft maintenance. I'm essentially a 'nobody' (I know, we're really all nobodies, floating around the universe on this little speck of debris from an exploded star, orbiting our tiny little "G type" star, in a universe with billions of billions of stars. ;)). I don't know the corporate world and I don't speak corporate speak and I very rarely communicate with those who do.

Yes, I said I'd smoked a joint to relax me a bit. Dope wasn't legal at the time, but tough,  it is now so I can say it. I've always found it's good for my nerves when I'm rattled and in that time period (what was it? 2000? somewhere around then.) my mental health was such that "rattled" was almost the best I could hope for. I was a mess, and smoking a little pot helped calm me somewhat.

"Ring, Ring" ...  "Hello?"...

"Hi, is that Mitch?"

"Yeah, I'm Mitch."

"Hi Mitch, it's Robert Milton."

Well crap! I think my jaw hit the floor at the same time my heart hit the ceiling. I didn't fall out of my chair, but that was probably only because I was frozen stiff. "Oh F$#%!" I'm thinking... "I'm gonna get fired now, I just called him an idiot and he's obviously pi$sed" For a brief moment I actually wondered if he knew? ...and how did he know? ...does he read the AEF, is he a contributor? A zillion thoughts raced across my mind. (I eventually gave up wondering but thought the most likely scenario was he was the contributor who called himself "Airmail" at the time. ...and I think it was a post by "Airmail", blowing smoke up Milton's behind, which I had responded to.) But there he was... the ultimate boss. The-buck-stops-here guy. The freaking Chief Executive of the company I worked for was calling little old ME on the telephone! "How TF am I ever going to explain this to Diana if he fires me?"

I probably should have said, "Hello Mr. Milton." But I thought, since he'd introduced himself as "Robert Milton", maybe it was OK to call him "Robert"? ...so I believe what I said was, "Hi Robert, oddly enough I was just talking about you on an online aviation forum where someone was blowing smoke your way and I didn't think you'd done a very good job with the merger, and I said so." I thought I'd better get that out in the open right quickly, before he'd have to read it to me.  

Anyway, he spent about 10 minutes talking to me, mostly defending himself and telling me all the obstacles he'd had to deal with during the merger (and they were plenty), but he never did fire me. :) Toward the end of the conversation I asked him if he'd agree that, in the final analysis, he hadn't handled the actual merging of the two different entities very well? (To many of us, from both airlines, it was pretty obvious that it was a complete $#it show for a while) After taking a moment to think, he said, "Well I know you're going to quote me, so I think all I'd say is: I guess, in hindsight, I can see that I could have done better." 

Afterward, as I headed off to the local LCBO for some rum (a joint would NOT be sufficient to calm me after that call!), I laughed as I thought about the oddity of such a man, sitting in his big office, probably wearing a suit and tie, taking the time to call a little shmuck with a keyboard, who just got home from a visit with his shrink because his head was such a mess, and had just smoked a joint... and what a shame it was that I couldn't tell anyone that part of the story. :D So now I have.

Cheers all. Hope you're wearing your masks and staying COVID free.

Mitch

Oh Mitch, how I've missed you! I love how you've always called a spade a shovel, no matter who the audience. It's a gift. 

I didn't have a dog in the fight but I've always agreed with you on how the merger was handled. If the intention wasn't to create rifts across employee groups and cause a decade of damage to corporate culture, they sure fooled me!

Thanks Mitch, I remember that well! When you posted that it just sent a chill down my spine like few things ever have. 

I've wondered in the past how I would have handled that and I doubt it would been as well as you did.

Great to see you here again! 

Thanks for telling us that story Mitch. You were always well respected at work. A little scary looking with that beard, but well liked and respected. Hope you won’t be a stranger here. ?

A little scary looking with that beard,

These days, sanity and smarts appear to come in strange packages while wild-eyed, stupid, monstrous insanity is almost invisible against the background chaos. The raised eybrow that used to signal that heresies have been spoken no longer exists; in its place, wrinkled foreheads, derisive attitudes and speaking moistly.

The more trips around the sun one has, the sharper the distinction between 'em. Foreheads sporting a reversed "GE" symbol or "Frigidair" emblem belong to the oldest or most aware.

Fiddle on, Nero (see meaning below). The world needs you.

33 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

These days, sanity and smarts appear to come in strange packages while wild-eyed, stupid, monstrous insanity is almost invisible against the background chaos. The raised eybrow that used to signal that heresies have been spoken no longer exists; in its place, wrinkled foreheads, derisive attitudes and speaking moistly.

The more trips around the sun one has, the sharper the distinction between 'em. Foreheads sporting a reversed "GE" symbol or "Frigidair" emblem belong to the oldest or most aware.

Fiddle on, Nero. The world needs you.

Hmmm Don: I am sure you didn't see this before offering the advice for Nero  ?

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/donald-trump-nero-meme_n_5e658685c5b68d61645632c2?ri18n=true

Hi Marshall - thank you good sir, absolutely true!

Somebody had said that to me decades ago when we were having a terrible time getting an airline's FOQA/FDA Program off the ground - to me, keep on fiddlng meant keep going even if everyone is throwing logs in front of your horses. I kept the saying, but never thought of the original myth/story, ignored Milton and just kept pushing! 

. . .we still need a lot more Cronins around 'specially now.

9 minutes ago, Don Hudson said:

Hi Marshall - thank you good sir, absolutely true!

Somebody had said that to me decades ago when we were having a terrible time getting an airline's FOQA/FDA Program off the ground - to me, keep on fiddlng meant keep going even if everyone is throwing logs in front of your horses. I kept the saying, but never thought of the original myth/story, ignored Milton and just kept pushing! 

. . .we still need a lot more Cronins around 'specially now.

Re Mitch, although he and I do disagree from time to time (Maybe most of the time   ?? ) ,  I agree and hope he continues to post.  ?

Honestly said, and I suspected so but I think in differences there can be a meeting/changing of minds, at least "in the old days". Around 2015 here, I said to DEFCON, that I'm a "child of the Enlightenment". These days I am an anachronism (but not a fossil !), and so it is very difficult to have such discussions outside one's (new) "tribe" without their permission, risking their wrath, social isolation, etc.

The reasons for why have their seeds in the early 70's when democracy was first seriously being questioned. It's partly to do then as now, with changing demographics too, & partly to do with neoliberal politics which favour market forces vs. morality and corporatism vs. social values. I wrote this in 2011.

And before everyone draws in another breath sharply, I'll leave it at that.  ?

Thanks again for the observation.

Hi Mitch,

I've been a reader of this forum for a long time and have always enjoyed your posts.  I wondered if you had just moved on from posting.  Dec 22, 2003 you posted what I felt were some very heart felt words in discussing my dads flight.  Some incorrectly speculated and arm chair QB about the course of events but you put yourself out there and genuinely showed you cared.  I'm glad your doing better.

https://theairlinewebsite.com/topic/10770-ac-a330-fuel-leak-pics-yvr/

I wanted to add a Robert Milton story if I could.  My dad was dead heading on a Tango or Zip flight.  He bought a bottle of wine for the seat mates next to him thanking them for supporting AC post bankruptcy.  Short time later a bottle of wine showed up at the door with a letter from Milton.   

Take Care

Tyler Ferguson

Thanks for that Tyler! I quite enjoyed reading through that thread just now. I feel like I've forgotten more than I ever knew that I knew, by now, but reading through that helped remind me of a time when I still knew a couple of things about airplanes. ;) I remember that incident now and I'd guess you probably know all about what had caused it. Our written mtc procedures were modified afterwards to make sure any leak checks we did after opening fuel lines on engines included adding sufficient power to be sure said fuel lines were well pressurized. As I recall in that case the boys in YVR had done an idle leak check, but that hadn't provided enough pressure to discover the problem.

That's a good Milton story. I've heard a few of them. I always thought he could have been a damned good leader, if he'd had either the will or maybe the right advice? He sure had the charm.

The bugger never sent me a bottle! (Rum, if you're listening Robert! :D )

Cheers,

Mitch

Damn. .... I'd really hoped to keep quiet. ... I thought I could get away with popping the "Thanks" button on a few posts and not have to bring this back up again... But y'see... (he says in a Bugsy Malone sorta voice)... I got's this kinda issue with bein' a dick, and I don't wanna do it. 

But now, after having ground through some several hours worth of noggin nonsense that the pro's call "ruminating", I've decided, since I answered the one time poster, Tyler (who, of course I had to answer, Thank you again,Tyler, for your addition to the thread.) I owe you other guys a response. Please understand it's only a messed mind that makes me hesitate, and that what I say comes from the heart. It's just that I'd kinda wished I'd STFU by now. [wow eh? you can perhaps begin to see the mess in this mind by these ramblings?]

J.O. :) Thank you, but it's more of a curse than a gift. I get in soooo much trouble, still, in my 60's. :)

Maverick! Great to see you're still here to represent. :) Trust me, I handled nothing well. That curse J.O. called a gift, ...it gave me a familiarity with people who didn't appreciate ...what I had to say, sometimes. Some people are a little bit like bears; If you stand sideways to them and make a lot of noise, they might go away. Others are like dogs, and they'll keep watching for your weaknesses, so you gotta stay one step ahead of 'em. ;)  Being a people watcher can be both entertaining and educational.

Conehead... Thank you for such kind words. I doubt I earned 'em, but thank you, none the less. Very nice to hear. ... and I know , the beard was way out of control... now it's tame, it's just the rest of me that's gone. Lol.

Mister Hudson.... [grin] Don... I wish somehow things had gone differently enough, that you and I could have spent every Saturday afternoon at a pub someplace, beating around theories of everlasting nothingness and everything-ness over a few ales... I'm sure I'd have enjoyed that immensely. 

Cheers all.... I'm ducking for the comfort of silence now. [grin]

Mitch

...I just broke my own rule.... about posting while drinking... Screw it, there it is. :)

Thanks for sharing this great story Mitch. Perhaps it’ll be a chapter in someone’s book about all that has happened after deregulation in this country. Now there’s a retirement project for the right person  

Some 20 years later I’m forgetting the merger details but it seems their results always leave a group of people upset. I’ve recently talked to some former CP guys who still hold a grudge as the stroke of a pen affected the balance of their working lives and retirement. 

Glad you’re still doing well. Any music happening in your retired life? I recall you posted a well played tune on AEF with some of your band mates. 

Hi Blues. Thanks for the thoughts. I doubt it's a great story, but it is funny if you can see it in the right light. :)

I've learned that with mental illness, confidence goes awol, so that's restricted my music considerably. I stopped playing anything for a while. I'll still pick up my acoustic guitar, maybe every other day for some light fiddling, but that's about it nowadays. I miss the jamming with the boys on Thursday nights though... Maybe another time I'll get back at something like that. I always enjoyed the times when everyone is contributing to the music and just soaking in the moment, like a group meditation.

Anyway, it's good to see you're still kicking around here. Surprising to think of the years gone by... 

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch..

Not too many know I went out the door with little fan fare,(my request),  but did invite two persons to have breakfast with me after I dropped off my security pass.

Still have the photo of you and me by the pickup truck and still occasionally hear from CPFA.

Best of luck buddy...I am into year 18 of retirement and only dropped in at home to check the property........back to the boat tomorrow

Be safe.

Kip

Archived