Covid 19 A balanced response.

8 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Some very well educated Canadian medical professionals don’t believe we are approaching the Covid issue in a balanced way.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6982585-Balanced-Response-Letter-and-Statement-July6-Final.html#document/p12

Interesting letter - the last 6 pages are garbled however.

• Haha 1

I think the letter needs to be taken from the perspective that some of our provinces have gone isolationist.  Some of our provinces have been very good at approaching this in a balanced way.

Two days ago I arrived in Halifax.  People from Nova Scotia health reminding everyone that they must quarantine for 14 days as you exit security. That is everyone even though other provinces do not require interprovincial quarantine  and rapid testing is available as an alternative. I also noticed an article in the paper talking about not reopening school this September.  I was surprised how much is still shutdown considering how little spread Nova Scotia has had.

Contrast that to BC which already opened schools and Alberta that now has a public awareness campaign from paediatricians reminding people how important social interaction for children is.

In Alberta and BC young people are playing baseball.  In Nova Scotia this is what is on one of their baseball sights.

Baseball Nova Scotia July 3rd Update

Friday, July 3, 2020
Given there were no further easing of restrictions this week, Baseball Nova Scotia has decided to cancel the 2020 Bluenose League and Provincial Championships. We are disappointed that we’ve had to make such a hard

6 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I think the letter needs to be taken from the perspective that some of our provinces have gone isolationist.  Some of our provinces have been very good at approaching this in a balanced way.

Two days ago I arrived in Halifax.  People from Nova Scotia health reminding everyone that they must quarantine for 14 days as you exit security. That is everyone even though other provinces do not require interprovincial quarantine  and rapid testing is available as an alternative. I also noticed an article in the paper talking about not reopening school this September.  I was surprised how much is still shutdown considering how little spread Nova Scotia has had.

Contrast that to BC which already opened schools and Alberta that now has a public awareness campaign from paediatricians reminding people how important social interaction for children is.

In Alberta and BC young people are playing baseball.  In Nova Scotia this is what is on one of their baseball sights.

Baseball Nova Scotia July 3rd Update

Friday, July 3, 2020
Given there were no further easing of restrictions this week, Baseball Nova Scotia has decided to cancel the 2020 Bluenose League and Provincial Championships. We are disappointed that we’ve had to make such a hard

You're saying that if someone travels from NS to Ontario, that person is not required to quarantine for 14 days?

I believe only Atlantic Canada has interprovincial quarantine. So I don't think someone traveling from Nova Scotia to Toronto has to quarantine.  I'm out west so not completely Intune with the rules out East.  

I can tell you that anyone travelling from Nova Scotia to MB, SK, AB, BC does not require quarantine.  However the other way around they must.  

https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/alerts-notices/

A quick look at Ontario and the only quarantine seems to be out of Country.

To give you an idea of the contrast across the country. We have seen on the news road blocks set up by police in Eastern Canada turning people away who reside in a different province.

In BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan interprovincial travel was discouraged but never stopped.  Now it's open. Quarantine from province to province was never in place.  Never once was any province turning people of another province away at the provincial boarder.

NS just a had a situation (last week) where an American student carrying Covid came into the province and didn't self-isolate and infected some people.  This was after several weeks of having zero new infections.  They're kinda touchy about this isolation thing after having this happen.

12 hours ago, seeker said:

NS just a had a situation (last week) where an American student carrying Covid came into the province and didn't self-isolate and infected some people.  This was after several weeks of having zero new infections.  They're kinda touchy about this isolation thing after having this happen.

The point of the letter at the top of the page.

1)Keeping numbers at zero is not a realistic attainable goal.  This will take a few years to get through.

2)The measures needed to attempt zero creates collateral damage.  Forget economic for a moment. The damage is vast.

This is the balance the letter talks about and the one we need our leaders working toward.  

There are some great examples of how to deal with this in a balanced way.  
Hint.  They are not at the Federal level.  Go west to find them. Two ladies with last names starting with H.

Remember the coined phrase was “Flatten the curve”. This was so our health care system was not over run.

The phrase was never “stamp out Covid.” Although everyone would love that idea it is not a realistic objective and pursuing it will most likely cause more harm than good.

• Like 1