Virus Alerts from Airline Travel

1 hour ago, UpperDeck said:

I think I get it!! With the exception  of Germany, the elected leaders of small and remote countries that are of minimal consequence in the global scheme appear to be women. Is that a trend? Does even noting the fact indicate one is sexist?

Sorry, I don't have the name of the originator of the screen shots I posted. Perhaps if you have the time and can find him/her you could direct your questions to him/her.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Sorry, I don't have the name of the originator of the screen shots I posted. Perhaps if you have the time and can find him/her you could direct your questions to him/her.

I acknowledge that I've never felt a sense of warmth and affection directed my way by you but I cannot help but ask; Has the aging process diminished your sense of " ha ha" ?

22 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I acknowledge that I've never felt a sense of warmth and affection directed my way by you but I cannot help but ask; Has the aging process diminished your sense of " ha ha" ?

Do you not think my post was cased in humour or do you need laughing emojis  to get the point across??

18 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Do you not think my post was cased in humour or do you need laughing emojis  to get the point across??

A little tender? Remember, this is  a forum that allows / encourages controversy and questions but can not allow the latitude enjoyed of face to face. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

A little tender? Remember, this is  a forum that allows / encourages controversy and questions but can not allow the latitude enjoyed of face to face. 

Tender ???? Show me where I have crossed the "civil" line  in any post and I will happily retract that post

He asked two questions, one about "trending" and another where I would assume he was humorously stating that I could be a sexist  for posting the screensshots concerning female country leaders.  I took that statement as merely a general humerous comment  concerning the screenshots  and I advised him where he could try to find the original poster.

Now you are referring to UpperDeck where  he states that I don't seem to be " warm and fuzzy"  when I reply to his comments and asked me, if due to my age, if I have lost my sense of "ha-ha"......

Lastly .......I merely answered that  question, with a question of my own . 

If he answers, I can adjust, for the sake of clarity, future responses to his posts/questions.

Further...if you go to the thread that explains the approach chart to Santa's residence   and see my response you will note that there is no emoji but I would assume most readers realized it was a tongue in cheek statement written with humour intended.

Tender?? I think not.....a realist with an acute sense of humour...that would be me........ask around.

Firstly, Capt. Powick....my comment about "sexist" was not directed at you since I was well aware you were simply posting an "ironic" commentary differentiating between the Covid results of countries with male " leaders" and those with female heads of state.

Secondly, though I have been called many things, I can't remember "tender" being one of those descriptors....and I thank you.???

Apparently JO and Deicer regard your responses as entirely appropriate and without " malice aforethought " so I must have misapprehended both meaning and intent.

Over the years, I have found that there are some contributors one imagines as both intelligent and kind; a smile on their face almost all the time. Others are more constrained and precise-- disinclined to encourage humourous rejoinders.

Perhaps 20 years ago, a member of the forum stated that when he read my posts, he closed his eyes and readily imagined a Monty Python skit with the cast playing "silly buggers". Not particularly complimentary but funny regardless.....and still remembered.

So perhaps my wisest course is to simply disengage and in future keep any responses I may have to your posts to myself. I am reasonably assured that at least I will be amused.

13 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

Firstly, Capt. Powick....

Secondly, though I have been called many things, I can't remember "tender" being one of those descriptors....and I thank you.???

No need to call by my previous rank...that was in a life long, long, ago..... 

"Tender"  referred to me.... by Malcolm...I think he was implying that I was a bit "tender" and that your remarks were causing me to reply to you with  unjustified sarcasm, which was not true, and I think I illuminated  that fact with the explanation which followed his post.

Certainly feel free to ignore anything I post...I am sure you aren't the first, however, being ignored is not an issue I lose sleep over.

Have a nice weekend and Be Safe.

DKP

Interesting information but one airline is showing up more often than any other, route sensitive, better reporting or ?

More than forty flights travelling through Alberta carrying COVID-19

BY JO HORWOOD

Posted Dec 6, 2020 5:11 pm MST

Calgary-Airport.png

CALGARY (CityNews) – In just eight days, Alberta’s airports reported more than forty flights carrying passengers with confirmed cases of COVID-19 landing or taking off from Calgary and Edmonton.

Calgary’s airport has seen 17 international flights landing in that timeframe, and 21 domestic flights through the airport.

Edmonton fares batter, with only five flights with cases of COVID-19 that aren’t to or from Calgary.

The full list of Alberta flights reported to have COVID-19 infections aboard is below, while the national statistics are available on the Government of Canada’s website.

All passengers on these flights are advised to self-monitor for symptoms.

DOMESTIC

November 25:

WS3138 – Fort McMurray to Calgary (rows 16-22)

November 26:

WS3225 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 4-10)

WS205 – Winnipeg to Calgary (rows 11-17)

WS652 – Calgary to Toronto (rows 6-12)

WS155 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 5-11)

AC8131 – Edmonton to Calgary (rows 9-15)

AC394 – Calgary to Ottawa (rows 17-23)

AC162 – Edmonton to Toronto (rows 22-28)

AC318 – Calgary to Montreal (rows 28-34)

November 27:

WS3229 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 5-11)

WS3179 – Calgary to Grand Prairie (rows 12-18)

WS638 – Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-4)

WS613 – Ottawa to Calgary (rows unknown)

WS610 – Calgary to Ottawa (rows unknown)

AC241 – Edmonton to Vancouver (rows 14-20)

November 28:

WS3342 – Calgary to Kelowna (rows 713)

WS135 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 10-16)

WS670 – Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-4)

AC8372 – Fort McMurray to Calgary (rows 1-7)

AC144 – Calgary to Toronto (rows 24-30)

AC318 – Calgary to Montreal (rows 31-38)

November 29:

WR3210 – Comox to Calgary (rows 7-13)

WS3229 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 1-7)

WS662 – Calgary to Toronto (rows 21-27)

November 30:

WS147 – Winnipeg to Edmonton (rows 1-7)

December 1:

WS141 – Edmonton to Vancouver (rows 12-18)

WS3171 – Calgary to Comox (rows 16-19)

AC8138 – Calgary to Edmonton (rows 7-13)

AC331 – Ottawa to Calgary (rows 13-19)

December 2:

AC163 – Toronto to Edmonton (rows 19-25)

AC241 – Edmonton to Vancouver (rows 20-26)

INTERNATIONAL

November 26:

WS1403 – Phoenix to Calgary (rows 15-21)

KL679 – Amsterdam to Calgary (rows 34-42)

DL4051 – Minneapolis to Calgary (rows 3-13)

November 27:

WS1403 – Phoenix to Calgary (rows 1-21)

UA5388 – Denver to Calgary (rows 19-25)

KL677 – Amsterdam to Calgary (rows 1-5)

November 28:

WS2247 – Puerto Vallarta to Calgary (rows 1-6, 10-16)

WS2311 – Cancun to Calgary (rows 5-11)

WS2251 – Puerto Vallarta to Calgary (rows 10-16, 20-26)

UA5388 – Denver to Calgary (rows 21-27)

KL679 – Amsterdam to Calgary (rows 12-18, 23-29)

November 29:

WS2247 – Puerto Vallarta to Calgary (rows 19-25)

WS1469 – Palm Springs to Calgary (rows 4-10, 24-30)

WS2313 – Cancun to Calgary (rows 5-11)

WS1511 – Los Angeles to Calgary (rows 16-22)

DL4051 – Minneapolis to Calgary (rows 3-9)

November 30:

WS1403 – Phoenix to Calgary (rows 6-12)

• 3 weeks later...

VANCOUVER -- A new coronavirus variant, first identified in the U.K., has been identified in B.C., according to a statement from the provincial health officer and the B.C. Ministry of Health.

The news statement, released Sunday just after 1 p.m., comes one day after Ontario reported its first two cases of the extra-contagious strain.

"B.C. has identified the first case of a person in B.C. infected with the COVID-19 U.K. variant,” reads the joint statement from Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix.

“The individual, who resides in the Island Health region, returned to B.C. from the U.K. on flight AC855 on Dec. 15, 2020,” it continues.

“(The person) developed symptoms while in quarantine and was immediately tested. Testing confirmed the positive diagnosis on Dec. 19, 2020; a small number of close contacts have been isolated and public health is following up with them daily.”

More than 30 COVID-19 flights leading up to holidays

BY CITYNEWS STAFF

Posted Dec 27, 2020 4:49 pm MST

YYC-Calgary-International-Airport-e1585332345676.jpg
(PHOTO: Crystal Laderas - 660 NEWS)

CALGARY (CityNews) – In the week leading up to the holidays, Calgary’s airport saw 31 flights impacted by COVID-19 at its airport.

Between December 18 and 23, 22 domestic flights through Calgary identified COVID-19-positive passengers.

There were 57 total domestic flights affected in that same timeframe, and several Edmonton flights were impacted.

The city fared better on international flights, with only nine of the routes that flagged cases of COVID-19 making their way through Calgary.

A complete list of affected Calgary flights between December 18 to 23 is below.

Any passengers on these flights are advised to self-monitor for symptoms.

For cases flying into the city, YYC spokesperson Reid Fiest has said that if the airport becomes aware of cases of COVID-19, they have stringent measures put in place in order to keep passengers safe.

In November, the YYC airport was the hub for about 280,000 flights in total.

DOMESTIC

December 18

WS3171 Calgary to Comox (rows 1-5)

WS3139 Calgary to Fort McMurray (rows 4-10)

AC151 Toronto to Calgary (rows 12-18)

December 19

WS675 Toronto to Calgary (rows 19-25)

WS325 Calgary to Kelowna (rows 7-13)

WS3189 Calgary to Grande Prairie (rows 13-19)

AC8476 Grande Prairie to Calgary (rows unknown)

AC150 Calgary to Toronto (rows unknown)

AC214 Vancouver to Calgary (rows 12-16)

AC146 Calgary to Toronto (rows 37-43)

December 20

WS253 Calgary to Kelowna (rows 2-8)

WS3109 Calgary to Nanaimo (rows 15-19)

December 21

WS652 Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-7)

AC8408 Kelowna to Calgary (rows 1-4)

AC150 Calgary to Toronto (rows 12-15)

December 22

WS153 Calgary to Edmonton (rows 10-16)

AC8372 Fort McMurray to Calgary (rows 5-11)

AC318 Calgary to Montreal (rows 1-3)

December 23

WS232 Calgary to Halifax (rows 1-5)

AC8374 Fort McMurray to Calgary (rows 13-19)

AC146 Calgary to Toronto (rows 19-25)

AC136 Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-6)

INTERNATIONAL

December 18

WS2247 Puerto Vallarta to Calgary (rows 11-17)

UA5388 Denver to Calgary (5-11)

KL677 Amsterdam to Calgary (rows 31-37)

AA3839 Dallas to Calgary (rows 5-11)

December 19

WS2313 Cancun to Calgary (rows 1-7, 14-20)

WS2311 Cancun to Calgary (24-29)

WS2289 Los Cabos to Calgary (rows 10-21)

December 20

WS2247 Puerto Vallarta to Calgary (rows 13-19)

December 22

WS2313 Cancun to Calgary (rows 10-16)

Halifax woman calls out airline for not enforcing COVID-19 health protocols during flight

From Global News – link to source and VIDEO

By Alexa MacLean  Global News | December 28, 2020

A Halifax woman is calling out an airline over a recent flight she took that left her disturbed over a lack of COVID-19 public health protocols being followed by one particular passenger and no efforts by the low-cost carrier employees to do anything about it.

Jennifer Solomon recently flew from Toronto to Halifax on a flight operated by Swoop, a low-cost carrier owned by WestJet.

She says prior to takeoff, flight attendants informed the passengers that masks must be worn at all times.

According to Solomon, that mandate was completely disregarded by one passenger and the aircrew did nothing about it.

“This particular person just flipped it off, kept it off the entire flight, kept getting up and out of their chair — going directly up to talk to the flight attendants,” she said.

Swoop declined an interview request with Global News, instead sending an email statement stating that the airline shared in Solomon’s concerns and apologizes for any distress she experienced.

Solomon says she approached the flight attendants while disembarking the plane to raise her concerns over the lack of public health enforcement, and was less than impressed with the answer she received.

“They were like, ‘Oh, we didn’t even notice this,’ and I was like, ‘how could you not notice? He was talking to you. Face-to-face without a mask,’” she said.

Canadian air passenger rights advocate, Gábor Lukács, says mask-wearing on flights is a legal requirement under an interim order by the federal government.

He says based on this, Swoop should be held accountable.

“This issue should be investigated and I would hope that Swoop would be facing some fines for failing to enforce the law. Swoop, as an airline, has a legal responsibility to ensure that those who board its flights comply with the rules,” he said.

Lukács says he feels the passenger who refused to follow the mask-wearing protocol should also be fined.

He said that there are some medical exemptions to the mask-wearing protocol, but Solomon stated this passenger didn’t provide any medical reasons for his refusal to abide by the safety measure.

“His response immediately was how COVID wasn’t real, how it’s nothing but letting ourselves get educated by the media,” she said.

“I don’t care what they believe in. What they don’t have a right to do is get other people sick. If you don’t want to wear a mask when you fly, get in a private jet, pay for it,” he said.

According to Swoop’s COVID-19 policy on their website, the airline has a “zero-tolerance” policy for travelers to be wearing masks or face coverings at all times during their flight.

Travellers who fail to comply with the mask mandate may be denied boarding and face a one-year travel suspension from all WestJet flights. The website also states that passengers who don’t wear masks must provide a valid medical certificate.

Swoop says these directives come from Transport Canada and align with WestJet Group Zero Tolerance Mask Policy.

The policy states that travellers may take their masks off to eat and drink while flying but must put it on afterwards.

Solomon hopes her story encourages other passengers to stand up for their safety if they encounter a similar situation.

“This is a pandemic. Right now it’s not just about the comfort of your travel, it’s about the safety of your family, and friends, and well-being,” she said.© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Decrease in Alberta COVID-19 positive flights over holidays

BY CITYNEWS STAFF

Posted Jan 3, 2021 4:41 pm MST

Last Updated Jan 3, 2021 at 5:20 pm MST

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

CALGARY (CityNews) – There was a marked decrease in flights through Alberta with confirmed cases of COVID-19 over the holidays.

Leading up to Christmas, Calgary’s airport alone saw 31 flights between Dec 18 and 23 with passengers who tested positive for the virus.

According to the Government of Canada’s website, from Dec 24 to 31, there were only ten COVID-19 impacted flights through the province.

One of those belonged to Edmonton, with the rest flying through Calgary.

WestJet was listed as the operator for all impacted domestic flights through the province, as well as all but two international flights to Alberta.

Of four international flights with confirmed cases of COVID-19, one came to Calgary from Palm Springs.

Another came to the city from Cancun.

You can find a full list of affected flights below. 

All passengers on these flights are advised to self-monitor for symptoms.

DOMESTIC 

December 25

WestJet WS3158 Fort McMurray to Calgary (rows 1-6)

December 26

WestJet WS652 Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-4)

December 27

WestJet WS652 Calgary to Toronto (rows 1-4)

WestJet WS3335 Calgary to Comox (rows 13-19)

December 28

WestJet WS526 Calgary to Winnipeg (rows 1-4)

WestJet WS335 Edmonton to Victoria (rows 25-30)

INTERNATIONAL 

December 24

WestJet WS2313 Cancun to Calgary (rows 1-4)

United Airlines UA4794 Denver to Calgary (rows 9-15)

December 28

WestJet WS1475 Palm Springs to Calgary (rows 1-4)

December 30

Delta DL4051 Minneapolis to Calgary (rows 11-17)

RELATED STORIES

• 2 weeks later...

Worrisome...

Two entire planes affected by COVID days after Canada implements negative test requirement

At least 72 international flights land in Canada with infected passengers since negative test requirement began Jan. 7

All rows.

That’s how Health Canada described the impact of two Air Transat flights that landed in Montreal from Haiti this week, purportedly carrying so many infected passengers that everybody on board was at risk.

And while Transport Canada made negative COVID-19 tests mandatory on Jan. 7 for passengers boarding a Canada-bound plane, flights from Haiti are exempt from this rule until Jan. 21.

Both TS663 on Jan. 10 and TS665 on Jan 13 — operated using dual-aisle, wide-body Airbus A330s capable of carrying between 345 and 375 passengers — were identified by Health Canada as flights with confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Initially listing TS663’s affected rows as “unknown,” Health Canada updated the flight’s status on Friday to “all rows.”

Saturday’s update added TS665 to the list, likewise listed as “all rows.”

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/entire-plane-affected-by-covid-days-after-canada-implements-negative-test-requirement?fbclid=IwAR3wBkzQZgBqSG4-pky15_IcaKPMxn4dxjMUxo6h34DSmuWMYEev4KJjUaM

Ottawa’s version of keeping Canada safe ???

Third flight from Haiti lands with many COVID-infected passengers

Two Air Transat flights from Port-au-Prince last week were also listed by Health Canada as having 'all rows' impacted by COVID

For the third time in 10 days, so many passengers on an Air Transat flight from Port-au-Prince to Montreal tested positive for COVID-19 that Health Canada deemed the entire plane impacted by the virus.

On Wednesday, Health Canada added TS663 — which landed in Montreal on Jan. 17 — to its online list of COVID-impacted flights. Two other flights from Haiti earlier this month —TS663 and TS665 — were deemed to have all rows affected by passengers who subsequently tested positive for the virus.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/third-flight-from-haiti-lands-with-many-covid-infected-passengers

This drives me crazy....though some would say it was a short trip!!

Seriously... the government temporarily exempted Haiti from its mandatory testing order while reminding Canadians repeatedly that travel outside of the country was discouraged.

And who precisely was travelling to and from Haiti....not known as a tourist hotspot?

Well, you know....if the government by imposing testing rules indirectly prevented travel to Haiti, it would be accused of "discrimination". Can't have that now, can we? So...exempt travellers from a country with NO covid "protection" and place Canadians at greater risk. At least you won't be labelled "rascist"!!

In Ontario, it has now been acknowledged that migrant workers are a significant community of infected persons posing a risk to the public at large. Quelle surprise!!

They've known THAT in central Florida for months. Something about close living quarters?

And now the absolutely brilliant Premier of la belle province opines that "quarantine hotels" would be a good idea though he prefers a complete shutdown of "non-esdential" air travel. Sir....may I ask? What was your position on Covid mitigation efforts last Spring? A little " johnny come lately", no?

3 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Seriously... the government temporarily exempted Haiti from its mandatory testing order while reminding Canadians repeatedly that travel outside of the country was discouraged.

It’s all Harper’s fault....:whistling:

My question is this.

What exactly is the breakdown of passenger numbers ie Quebecers to Haitians on these flights?

It isn't the time of year for seasonal workers to be coming up to Canada and does Transat bring that many Haitian nationals to Canada year round?

So is it mainly irresponsible tourists who took vacations and were drinking, fornicating, and having a good time with no restrictions?

3 minutes ago, deicer said:

My question is this.

What exactly is the breakdown of passenger numbers ie Quebecers to Haitians on these flights?

It isn't the time of year for seasonal workers to be coming up to Canada and does Transat bring that many Haitian nationals to Canada year round?

So is it mainly irresponsible tourists who took vacations and were drinking, fornicating, and having a good time with no restrictions?

Strange inclusion ...... surely you meant 

forniquer    but of course that and the word 
you used  in english only applies to 
unmarried folks.

Deicer....you're clearly someone who has travelled extensively and is familiar with the best locales.

Can you tell me where in Haiti one should bookmark as a suitable place for tourists/revellers to go to both drink and **bleep** ( or forniquer)?

9 hours ago, deicer said:

My question is this.

Hey' How did you get that word past the censors?

9 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Deicer....you're clearly someone who has travelled extensively and is familiar with the best locales.

Can you tell me where in Haiti one should bookmark as a suitable place for tourists/revellers to go to both drink and **bleep** ( or forniquer)?

Seeing that it was reported that the three flights were Transat, it didn't take much sleuthing...

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/haiti?search=flight&flightType=RT&pax=1-0-0-0

As for that word, it was no problem, it's proper english and not a 'swear' word ?

fornication

noun

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

for·ni·ca·tion | \ ˌfȯr-nə-ˈkā-shən  \

Definition of fornication

: consensual (see CONSENSUAL sense 2) sexual intercourse between two persons not married to each other— compare ADULTERY

Archived