The Defund the Police Movement

No hook, no line, no bait, no boat, no bloody fish and not a meme in sight.

Only a light blue hat that's faded by desert sun, it whispers that life is a bigger PTSD inducing bitch than you think. And while I know that small batch statistics can sway context,  I keep wondering when people will get angry enough about things that warrant it to change our collective trajectory.  Math and sheet music aren't racist,, obvious policy failures that disproportionately hurt minorities clearly are. 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/goldstein-toronto-gun-violence-skyrockets-no-politician-will-say-why

Always remember to sign in.... 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

No hook, no line, no bait, no boat, no bloody fish and not a meme in sight.

Only a light blue hat that's faded by desert sun, it whispers that life is a bigger PTSD inducing bitch than you think. And while I know that small batch statistics can sway context,  I keep wondering when people will get angry enough about things that warrant it to change our collective trajectory.  Math and sheet music aren't racist,, obvious policy failures that disproportionately hurt minorities clearly are. 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/goldstein-toronto-gun-violence-skyrockets-no-politician-will-say-why

Always remember to sign in.... 

The process of meme transmission is carried out primarily by means of verbal, visual, or electronic communication, ranging from books and conversation to television, e-mail, and the Internet.

Hey guys, I'm perfectly willing to call up the service provider and pull the plug if there's no interest in keeping it going.

I picked up the responsibility for running the site when the former hosts decided to retire and it's was my stated goal to keep it, as much as possible, in the same state as when I took over.

I read posts and get PMs every once in a while bemoaning the quality and quantity of the posting.  What should I do?  If you want higher quality posts - post them.  If you want more quantity - post them.

Personally, I like having a place where I can post about current affairs, complain about the government, argue about left vs right but I'll defer to the majority. 

Send your opinion via PM:

1.  Delete the non-aviation section and enforce a rigid "on-topic" policy in the aviation section.

2. Leave it as is.

3.  Pull the plug on the whole site.

For the record;  I have not received a single dime in ad revenue.  The previous owners had Google ad-sense enabled and were collecting something like $20-$30/month in ad revenue (which comes nowhere close to covering the $1000/year cost of the site).  I never got around to getting it switched over into my name - partly because I'm lazy, partly because I dislike Google and wanted to get away from ads altogether and partly because I didn't want to mess with it and cause some problem.

I'd love for the site to regain it's glory days but the world moves on.  Back when it was really active there was no Youtube, no Netflix, no Twitter.  Add that to the fact that the membership here skews "older" and we're all getting along.

Personally I think cancelling the non-aviation section will be the death knell for the site.  I'm of the opinion that if someone doesn't like that section - don't go there!  When I pick up a newspaper I never read the lifestyle section - because I don't care about that - but I still read the rest.

If the complaints are coming from some Cockwombles who never post here but constantly whine your ear off about content, one solution would be to put this section behind a private pay wall. Count me in if you go that route.

‘Pm sent.

Edited by Jaydee

I have to admit that I love this site. but certainly I miss a lot of the previous posters. For one thing it is my primary link to the career I aged out of some time ago.  I don't like any of your alternatives.

I think that the problem is that those that still contribute are too extreme, not in the way of their view but how they express those view. There are too many insulting comments, too many cartoons ridiculing positions opposed by the poster, (they don't constitute any form of discussion), too much labelling of others etc. There have been so many thoughtful discussions in the past and there is still some of that but too much of the other.

My suggestion would be to lay down stricter guidelines and moderate them, and if necessary add a warning on the post or just delete them.

When this is done I would send an email out to all members advising them of the actions taken.

Thanks for all the work and even financial resources you put into this site.

Greg Robinson

• Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How ‘Defund the Police’ Became A ‘Suicide Pact’

The good news is Democratic politicians have begun worrying that their “Defund the Police” policies, which coincided with a massive spike in violent crime nationwide, have created “a suicide pact.” The bad news is their apparent shift stems from a concern that they have committed political suicide, not a realization that their actions needlessly cost American lives.

This contrast came into light when Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva charged the county’s Board of Supervisors with cementing a “suicide pact” and “showing deliberate indifference to the obvious impact on public safety” after its members voted “to fire 4,000 deputies for not being vaccinated.” Those who observed police relations in cities that had chosen to defund the police nationwide agreed.

“This decision is going to risk the safety of every L.A. County citizen,” National Sheriffs’ Association executive director Jonathan Thompson told Paul Bedard of The Washington Examiner. “During a record jump on crime, now is not the time to employ ultimatums to those we need the most.”

This move followed after Mayor Eric Garcetti cut the LAPD police budget by $150 million in June 2020, weeks after the death of George Floyd.

According to Villanueva, the “Board of Supervisors Vote to Terminate Approximately 4000 #LASD Personnel During a Time When Murders Have Increased Over 94% and A Hiring Freeze in the Department.”

Indeed, 12 cities — all led by Democrats — set annual homicide records in 2021. Philadelphia’s murder rate rose 13%. Chicago’s murder rate increased by 3%. These come on the heels of a 30% murder increase nationally in 2020.

Edited by Jaydee

• 2 months later...

At a beach close to some of you

Police charge 19 after chaos breaks out at Toronto beach, causing several injuries

25m ago
FollowView Profile
React|

Toronto police say they made nearly 20 arrests after chaos broke out at an east-end beach on Sunday night, leaving multiple people injured.

Police say crowds of people were allegedly setting off fireworks at Woodbine Beach and Ashbridges Bay, sometimes pointing them at other people.

There were also reports of a shooting, a stabbing and two robberies at gunpoint.

Police say seven officers are among the wounded, including one who broke a leg and three more who were burned or cut by fireworks that were allegedly thrown at them.

Police say they made 19 arrests and announced charges against 16 people late Monday, including a 15-year-old boy who faces a charge of assaulting a peace officer with a weapon.

The city plans to host a fireworks event at Ashbridges Bay Park for Victoria Day on Monday evening, and police say officers would be in the area.

City bylaws prohibit possession of fireworks on beaches and parks.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 23, 2022.

The Canadian Press

image.png

• 3 weeks later...