The Defund the Police Movement

No support to decriminalize minor drug possession

• Calgary Herald
  • 21 Jan 2022
  • STEPHANIE BABYCH With files from Madeline Smith sbabych@postmedia.com Twitter: @Babychstephanie

Alberta police chiefs are taking a stand against decriminalizing the personal possession of drugs.

The Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police (AACP) said Thursday it will not support the decriminalization of minor drug offences before supports are improved and public policy is modernized.

The announcement comes as Edmonton city council is poised to discuss a motion on Monday that would lay the groundwork for the city to request an exemption from the federal government to decriminalize the personal possession of drugs, similar to exemptions being pursued by officials in Vancouver and Toronto.

Edmonton Coun. Michael Janz said on Twitter that council's discussion will be an opportunity to take the first step toward a public health approach to the ongoing drug poisoning epidemic.

During a news conference Thursday, Calgary police Chief Mark Neufeld, chair of the AACP, said Alberta communities are not ready for the effects of decriminalization.

While Neufeld acknowledged that decriminalizing minor drug offences could be part of an integrated approach to redirect drug users away from the criminal justice system and toward appropriate health supports and care, he said Alberta chiefs don't believe those supports are currently available, including quickly accessible treatment services.

“Drug decriminalization triggers an immediate need for structural and societal changes in areas that do not currently exist,” Neufeld said. “Jurisdictions that have implemented decriminalization have added a range of administrative sanctions in replacement of criminal justice outcomes.”

All levels of government and stakeholders would have to establish regulations for issues such as the use of drugs in public spaces, the use of drugs in areas near minors, discarded needles or other debris, and public complaints, Neufeld said. And it would be essential to include input from rural and Indigenous communities, he added.

Blood Tribe Police Service Chief Brice Iron Shirt said at the news conference that he does not recommend decriminalization of drug possession for Indigenous policing in Alberta, though he said Blood Tribe Police Service is taking a holistic approach to the opioid crisis that's specific to Blackfoot culture and beliefs.

Elaine Hyshka, assistant professor and Canada research chair in health systems innovation at the University of Alberta, said charging people with minor possession of drugs does not deter substance use but contributes to significant harm to people's health, well-being and economic chances.

In Alberta, nearly 1,400 people died from substance-related overdoses between January and October 2021. Hyshka said she's glad to see Edmonton council open the discussion and hopes other communities follow suit.

Calgary Coun. Courtney Walcott said he took notice of Edmonton's motion.

“It's setting a roadmap. This action on behalf of Edmonton, it's going to have a trickle-down effect because we'll be able to take a look at it, see the response, see the response from the public and, honestly, plan accordingly.”

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, Kargokings said:

From the linked article:

Project Tundra concluded with the arrests of Tareen, Gharda, and 27-year-old Toronto resident Sire Castillo-Amparo on Sept. 21. Each were “charged accordingly,” police said.

No doubt each were duly released on bail accordingly.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:17 PM, deicer said:

It is recorded.

Edited to add:

And it has been discussed with our current host.

Rumour has it that the current host believes in free speech. A radical concept to the cancel culture left totalitarians.

In the past, you will likely find previous hosts let their political biases lead to whichever posters you might be talking about having been banned. 

That doesn’t mean that it was anywhere close to appropriate. But I’m relatively new here on this forum and not fully aware of all the details.

All I know is that the lefties have blood on their hands with their own citizens with their defund the police movement.

Much of that blood is from the people in the communities they falsely claim to be concerned about when in fact, they are malevolently using them for their political agenda.

Junior: stating reality

woxof said:

But I’m relatively new here on this forum and not fully aware of all the details.

Funny you would be so fraudulent with a statement like that.  

You recently outed yourself to someone else in a post, so stop trying to fool people.

And yes, I have that post too.

Oh well,

Bottom line, whatever you want to believe....I am here and allowed to post at the pleasure of the owner of the forum. 

Considering all the people who have died because of the incredibly stupid policies we are seeing implemented by the left, your concerns about who should be allowed to post here pale in comparison(so keep whatever post you have).

And a reminder about the guy out on bail who killed 5 and maimed many others at a parade in Wisconsin due to progressives:

"The district attorney facing criticism after the alleged Waukesha Christmas parade crash killer was freed on bond two days before the carnage previously admitted his progressive reforms “guaranteed” killers could be put back on the street.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm, who was elected to the position in 2007, has spent his career supporting cash-bail system reform because he argues it criminalizes poverty.

In an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the year he was elected, Chisholm said: “Is there going to be an individual I divert, or I put into treatment program, who’s going to go out and kill somebody?”

“You bet. Guaranteed. It’s guaranteed to happen. It does not invalidate the overall approach.”

https://nypost.com/2021/11/23/the-da-behind-waukesha-christmas-parade-attack-suspects-low-bond/

It isn't about who is allowed to post here, never was, never will be. (At least if our host remains benevolent)

It's about integrity.

You are the one who continually accuses others, and especially me about being a fraud.

All I do is point out that it has been you all along that has been the most deceitful and fraudulent.  And you continue to do so.

So with integrity like that, why should we believe/understand/listen to anything you have to say?

To address the second part of your post, you rail on about the 'left', so let me once again remind you that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'left' governments.  Fact.

47 minutes ago, deicer said:

It isn't about who is allowed to post here, never was, never will be. (At least if our host remains benevolent)

To address the second part of your post, you rail on about the 'left', so let me once again remind you that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'left' governments.  Fact.

You may find the following article of interest...

After the End of the 'Pink Tide,' What’s Next for South America? (worldpoliticsreview.com)

16 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

From the article:

The conservative wave that followed the Pink Tide is far from ebbing, though. The 2018 election of Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil was a particular blow to the region’s progressives, and he has justified their fears. His administration has curbed the fight against corruption and downplayed the severity of the coronavirus pandemic, even as he has continued to denigrate the country’s Indigenous communities and undermined the country’s democratic norms.

Politics

Right-wing and center-right governments now control Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay and Paraguay. In part a reaction to the years of leftist rule, the right’s rise has also been fueled by the emergence of major corruption scandals that tainted politicians and parties across the region.

Corruption

Corruption scandals, which proliferated under the left-wing administrations of the Pink Tide, helped drive the ascent of the right. But the scandal involving payoffs by the Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht across the region has also taken down center-right politicians. Corruption remains high on the list of voters’ grievances, even as the pandemic has increased both the opportunities for and the costs of graft and impunity. Unless it is brought under control, corruption might ultimately undermine the region’s democratic institutions.

Isn't that what we're seeing happen in North America?

Edited by deicer

Politics is now a form of religion, it has doctrine, a deity of sorts (in the form of a leader who can do no wrong), and it requires commitment / devotion to a fundamental set of beliefs.

The problem is that politics and warfare have much in common. In fact, a wise man once said that war is simply the continuation of politics by other means. Put another way, religion has no place in the successful management of either endeavour.

Eventually you will vote based on policy, you will be reduced to having no alternative... but there's lots of pain between now and then. In the meantime, everything you don’t like about politics will continue to prosper and conspire against you and it will always be the other guys fault. 

Voting on good policy creates a demand for good policy. I don't care what you call the party... show me good policy and you get my vote. 

6 hours ago, deicer said:

It's about integrity.

You are the one who continually accuses others, and especially me about being a fraud.

All I do is point out that it has been you all along that has been the most deceitful and fraudulent.  And you continue to do so.

So with integrity like that, why should we believe/understand/listen to anything you have to say?

Hey, I like that. I supposedly lack integrity because of my accusations of fraud, yet in the next sentence you do the exact same thing, and supposedly have integrity. Give us some examples, as I have done many times in the past to back up my arguments.

I also love the quality of you arguments here. A blind statement of:  "let me once again remind you that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'left' governments.  Fact.". Wow, how convincing. You said FACT, so it must be true.

Thanks for the evidence to back up your argument. How about I say that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'conservative' governments followed by 'Fact, Fact' to prove you wrong?

I really hope you don't take it to the Fact, Fact, Fact level, or I might be in trouble. And that is a fact.

9 hours ago, Junior said:

I really hope you don't take it to the Fact, Fact, Fact level, or I might be in trouble. And that is a fact.

Oh yeah?  Well, I double-dog dare you!

11 hours ago, Junior said:

Hey, I like that. I supposedly lack integrity because of my accusations of fraud, yet in the next sentence you do the exact same thing, and supposedly have integrity. Give us some examples, as I have done many times in the past to back up my arguments.

I also love the quality of you arguments here. A blind statement of:  "let me once again remind you that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'left' governments.  Fact.". Wow, how convincing. You said FACT, so it must be true.

Thanks for the evidence to back up your argument. How about I say that the countries in North America have traditionally done better under 'conservative' governments followed by 'Fact, Fact' to prove you wrong?

Nice to see you continue with your narcissistic nature.

The gaslighting doesn't work any more.

I have posted the 'fact' many times in the past, do your own homework and go look it up.

11 hours ago, Junior said:

Thanks for nothing to back up the arguments of the left. How about you watch this two minute video to see the blood on the hands of the lefties and their disgusting defund the police movement. One wonders how they can sleep with themselves:

After 8 year old girl killed, an outraged Pastor Brooks asks if there’s any hope for Chicago | Fox News Video

To clarify, my following comments are a reflection re. posts in this area of the forum(Non Aviation Discussion Forum)in general. I likely should have introduced them as a new topic. 

As for me I wonder how the extreme right and the extreme left can stomach themselves. Both types are rampant nowadays on the AEF (Non Aviation Discussion Forum), and most dialogue / posts are dominated by them with not a whole lot left of those who want to fulfill the original purpose of the AEF.

I suspect, but of course with no Data, if the forum is supported by ad revenue, then stepping back might just increase postings / viewingalong with the necessary revenue. At present, the few who do post, and yes I am within that group that is  certainly out numbered those who don't.  The forum is therefore getting to be boring and some what stuck in "ground hog day". ..... everyday extreme right or left make their posts instantly countered by the opposite view and then back and forth.  We have turned into a debating forum but perhaps that is what is wanted.

As an example, here is the list of those currently signed in and now I want you to check that against those who still post.

I have kept posting   in the belief that maybe middle of the road folks like myself will some day prevail. Dumb  I guess.  Cheers for now

PS* I do applaud and appreciate our host for motoring on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

As for me I wonder how the extreme right and the extreme left can stomach themselves. Both types are rampant nowadays on the AEF, and most dialogue / posts are dominated by them with not a whole lot left of those who want to fulfill the original purpose of the AEF.

I suspect, but of course with no Data, if the forum is supported by ad revenue, then stepping back might just increase postings / viewingalong with the necessary revenue. At present, the few who do post, and yes I am within that group that is  certainly out numbered those who don't.  The forum is therefore getting to be boring and some what stuck in "ground hog day". ..... everyday extreme right or left make their posts instantly countered by the opposite view and then back and forth.  We have turned into a debating forum but perhaps that is what is wanted.

As an example, here is the list of those currently signed in and now I want you to check that against those who still post.

I have kept posting   in the belief that maybe middle of the road folks like myself will some day prevail. Dumb  I guess.  Cheers for now

By in large I agree with you. There are so many members who either don't post or don't even read. I'm not so much concerned about far left or right as I am in actually arguing rationally the various points of view. Cartoons that lampoon politicians or groups is not intelligent debate. Labelling people or groups is not intelligent or interesting. We have had some really good discussions on a variety of subjects in the past but I don't see much of that on this forum anymore and I think that is why there are so few of us left.

• Thanks 1

If people here feel that opposing defunding the police is extreme right, then so be it. It, with other similar, ridiculous policies has led to a large increase in violent crime as anyone could see would be the obvious result. That same movement is right here in Canada. 

Here is what the Wall Street Journal had recently(sorry if I hurt a few feelings in my previous posts. In comparison to those killed because of a lack of available law enforcement, I suspect it is rather minor compared to the huge effect of this idea).

I admit that I am trying to counter the incredibly ridiculous ideas of those who have infiltrated the media and many other places and have tried the same here.

I suggest people take an interest before it directly affects them. I have been warning people on here for years about what happens when the left gets in control and now we see the deadly consequences. Violent criminals let out on bail killing. How could anybody vote for this kind of thing. Yet they do, mostly because they need to feel they are doing something good or for their own financial benefit from the taxpayer.

Cities Reverse Defunding the Police Amid Rising Crime

"One year after the movement to “defund” law enforcement began to upend municipal budgets, many American cities are restoring money to their police departments or proposing to spend more.

In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he would reinstate $92 million for a new precinct after scrapping the project last summer. The mayor of Baltimore, who led efforts as a city councilman to cut the police budget by $22 million last year, recently proposed a $27 million increase.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Junior said:

If people here feel that opposing defunding the police is extreme right, then so be it.

I just want to be clear about what I meant. I'm not concerned about extreme views one way or the other when they are accompanied by a POV that isn't strictly labelling as stupid, or some other similar adjective, those who we might disagree agree.

For what it's worth your post does IMHO give a thoughtful argument for your position, one which I happen to agree with completely.

11 hours ago, Kargokings said:

To clarify, my following comments are a reflection re. posts in this area of the forum(Non Aviation Discussion Forum)in general. I likely should have introduced them as a new topic. 

As for me I wonder how the extreme right and the extreme left can stomach themselves. Both types are rampant nowadays on the AEF (Non Aviation Discussion Forum), and most dialogue / posts are dominated by them with not a whole lot left of those who want to fulfill the original purpose of the AEF.

PS* I do applaud and appreciate our host for motoring on.

All the list of names mean on the home page  is that they didn’t sign out. It does not mean they are here in person browsing.  I never sign out on my main browser. Why bother? I haven’t been here in 10 hours and this morning as an exercise I open a browser that I’m not signed in on, it still shows me here. 

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

I open a browser that I’m not signed in on, it still shows me here. 

Funny how simple things are not always how they seem and that simple rarely equates to easy. When I think about such things, traditional archery comes immediately to mind.

What could be more simple to do, less easy to master and more illustrative of our present condition. It's where the world divides between those who fling arrows for fun and those for whom each arrow is a separate event worthy of their best effort.

Hows that for a metaphorical riddle eh?

In any case (and IMO of course), most needful discussions are stale dated now and even if they took place, narratives that currently border on religious doctrine stand in the way of policy and progress. Simple things like restoring police budgets are problematic if you can’t maintain operational tempo as you endeavour to out train self inflicted personnel shortages in  a world where experience matters.

I’m not sure why, but the MBA crew, RCAF career managers and voters in general seem unable to embrace the concept that tweaking things which already work pretty well is better than pouring gas on them.

Edited by Wolfhunter

8 hours ago, Jaydee said:

All the list of names mean on the home page  is that they didn’t sign out. It does not mean they are here in person browsing.  I never sign out on my main browser. Why bother? I haven’t been here in 10 hours and this morning as an exercise I open a browser that I’m not signed in on, it still shows me here. 

My point indeed...... "Applied for and received posting ability but strangely silent.  

The list is not a static list: here is the display at 12:17EST

Members Online (Top 100)
Kargokings st27 Rich Pulman neverminds dagger Maverick Vsplat conehead GDR Warren tricky2182 Jaydee YYZ BlueSkies777 Jack Sparrow PaulD spreadsheet Specs airbrake North of You rudder greenmachine Wolfhunter AvWatcher YYZSaabGuy JL jump seat dominicard Junior Super 80 RTF Robert Perkins Leeroy Falken vrefplus5 GreatSlave proview Innuendo boestar moeman Mr Sparkle Moon The Loon deicer t1guy cavok CD AIP MAPyyc Kasey Mark VI Floyd barkleygrow mrlupin Seeker Tango Foxtrot cjet KGB Turbofan W5 UpperDeck MIke Roburst IFG mo32a Goingbyboeing madog87 J.O. Fisch MCM Rockyc anonymous SMP PinC Say Again, Over! FireFox Mishal smartie Eastside xward PlaneCrazy HST MCPSPEED jackr Trader Doug McKechnie Wetmoose69 Pager ckl Airband Flightlevels Ols500 cp fa Jumpy titoc93334 Cabaguil gator orlando squarefootflooring18 Waldo Peppar leftcoaster argon

and again at 14:33EST

Members Online (Top 100)
Kargokings Warren st27 Innuendo Robert Perkins Jaydee t1guy BlueSkies777 Mark VI North of You MIke Roburst neverminds GreatSlave JL GDR Jack Sparrow Kasey Specs Vsplat Rich Pulman dagger Maverick conehead tricky2182 YYZ PaulD spreadsheet airbrake rudder greenmachine Wolfhunter AvWatcher YYZSaabGuy jump seat dominicard Junior Super 80 RTF Leeroy Falken vrefplus5 proview boestar moeman Mr Sparkle Moon The Loon deicer cavok CD AIP MAPyyc Floyd barkleygrow mrlupin Seeker Tango Foxtrot cjet KGB Turbofan W5 UpperDeck IFG mo32a Goingbyboeing madog87 J.O. Fisch MCM Rockyc anonymous SMP PinC Say Again, Over! FireFox Mishal smartie Eastside xward PlaneCrazy HST MCPSPEED jackr Trader Doug McKechnie Wetmoose69 Pager ckl Airband Flightlevels Ols500 cp fa Jumpy titoc93334 Cabaguil gator orlando squarefootflooring18 Waldo Peppar leftcoaster argon

The lack of commentary is proof of malleability, lack of conviction and lack of character IMO. It's nothing to be proud of. 

If "go with the flow" and "flow where ya go" is your motto, that's fine, but we have nothing in common, and we (hopefully) never will. 

I was plowing a parking lot today, listening to the local rock station when I  heard an add (date, place and time) for vaccine jabs exclusively for black people. 

Did I miss the memo? When did I suddenly become a strident liberal and when did you become a bloody racist who supports segregation?

History will surely heap coals of shame on us, and they're well deserved IMO.

Edited by Wolfhunter