The Defund the Police Movement

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“We will not tolerate gang violence in our city" https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-hailstorm-of-bullets-fired-in-frightening-mississauga-ambush Oh yes you will, and I'm start

Took me a while to find it (not being in the military and all).  You're right - I expect this will be the new SOP. Reminds me of a scene from The Town - a cop in his patrol car happens to notice

Posted Images

Since most police departments are unionized, any cuts would of course be by seniority.  This could, as in the case of Seattle, lead to some interesting and perhaps unexpected consequences when it comes to ethnic diversity.

Seattle police chief says 'reckless' and 'political' 50 percent budget cut would lead to major layoffs for black officers

The chief said drastic cuts would lead to layoffs for 50 percent of workforce amid coronavirus pandemic, including for black officers

Seattle police Chief Carmen Best on Friday accused the City Council of recklessness and “political pandering” by advocating to slash her department’s budget by 50 percent, arguing that cutting funds to that extent would be asking citizens “to test out a theory that crime goes away if police go away.”

“These 2020 cut scenarios by the Council are political gestures, however, not realistic or rational solutions. SPD is absolutely committed to transforming the department and has already started the process. But if we are asked to cut 50 percent of our department overnight, we will be forced into decisions that do not serve our shared long-term goal of re-envisioning community safety,” Best wrote in a letter addressed to Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan on Friday.

“I will fiercely advocate that we focus on realistic, rational and responsible solutions – not political gestures or pandering or political posturing,” the chief added in a video address to officers posted to YouTube on Friday. “I do not believe we should ask the people of Seattle to test out a theory that crime goes away if police go away. That is completely reckless. It’s an abdication of the duty every leader of this city swears to when they take their oath of office.”

SEATTLE MOVES TO SLASH POLICE BUDGET BY $20M TO OFFSET CORONAVIRUS LOSSES AS OFFICIALS VOW TO DISMANTLE CHOP

So far, seven out of the nine members of Seattle City Council have voiced support for the goal to decrease the city’s police budget by 50 percent, according to the Seattle Times. It takes six votes to pass legislation related to the city budget and overrule a mayoral veto.

Council members Lisa Herbold, Dan Strauss and Andrew Lewis became the latest on Thursday to throw their support behind a proposal introduced by Decriminalize Seattle and King County Equity Now.

Council members Tammy Morales, Kshama Sawant, Teresa Mosqueda and M. Lorena Gonzalez had already shown support for cutting the police budget by 50 percent.

In a presentation before the council budget committee Wednesday, the coalitions advocated for the police budget in 2021 be reduced by 50 percent from the status quo. This year, the city’s police budget is $409 million. They also argued the police budget for the remainder of 2020 be cut by 50 percent by the end of the summer.

The two new coalitions formed in the aftermath of the Capitol Hill Organized Protest, or the CHOP. Hundreds camped out and held space in six city blocks for nearly three weeks in June until at least four shootings and two deaths drove city officials to break up the “no-cop co-op” and reclaim the East Precinct left abandoned following violent clashes between officers and protesters earlier in the month.

SEATTLE CITY COUNCIL SEEMS READY TO DEFUND POLICE BY 50 PERCENT

Black Lives Matter protesters have advocated for defunding police departments around the country following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25.

Durkan, a Democrat, has not supported slashing the city’s police budget by 50 percent, but, last month, the mayor did propose a $20 million cut to the police budget for the remainder of 2020 to offset the costs of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The proposed $50 to $80 million additional council budget cuts, together with the identified $20 million cut, represents a 100 percent cut in the total budget for the fourth quarter. The only way we can achieve that level of cut within the last four months of the year is to terminate or transfer approximately 1,100 employees – or over 50 percent of our total workforce. This would leave us with about 630 deployable sworn members in the department,” Best said in her letter to Durkan on Friday.

“The department has made a conscious effort to hire employees, both sworn and civilian, who represent the diversity and values within our community,” the letter said.

“Cuts this deep mean we would lose more than 50 percent of our (BIPOC) officers. These officers’ life experiences make us a better department and community,” Best wrote, including a bar graph representing “Loss of Officer Diversity at 50 percent Reduction.”

The chart, also tweeted out by SPD on Friday, showed a 43 percent reduction in Black officers, a 90 percent reduction in Mixed Race officers, a 47 percent reduction in Asian officers, and a 65 percent reduction in Hispanic/Latino officers. It also showed a 53 percent reduction in White officers, a 26 percent reduction in American Indian/Alaska Native officers, a 43 percent reduction in Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander officers, and a 53 percent reduction in officers who choose not to specify their racial or ethnic background.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Best said proposed budget cuts would also force the department to close its southwest precinct and refocus bike units and anti-crime teams on 911 response.

link to the story with videos.  https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-police-chief-defund-50-percent-carmen-best

A well known issue that should be intuitive to any person capable of rational thought. Most junior members of departments all over the country hail from the era of targeted recruitment which attempted to attract diversity. Since they don't have the seniority they will be the first to go.

Big cuts come from big budgets, compensation and benefits is the biggest police budget. Any cut stated as a percentage will translate to the same (roughly) percentage in officer layoffs. I'm not sure where people thought the cuts were coming from. Additionally, rural areas already suffering from deadly slow response times will suffer further degradation forcing residents to arm themselves for their own safety... there is an absolutely massive increase in gun sales and background checks happening right now in the US, it's all as a direct result of the insanity. 

Anytime you want to know the end result of liberal policies, simply assume it will be the exact opposite of the policies stated intention. Don't bother telling them, it's fun to watch and they won't listen anyway. In a couple of months the state of policing in the US (and all the deaths that result from it) will be Trump's fault.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Based on recent attacks on police members and restraints on their ability to take control of offenders ( ) I can see police backing off and watching more and more, rather than placing themselves at risk to harm, law suits and of course gaol. Recent action taken by NY.

https://www.gothamgazette.com/city/9555-police-commissioner-shea-repeatedly-contradicts-mayor-de-blasio-nypd

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea had strong words Tuesday about the City Council's recently-passed bill banning police chokeholds, which he said went much further than the state's new ban and ignored input from law enforcement.

Despite Mayor Bill de Blasio having expressed support for the bill, Shea called it "incredibly reckless" in a videoconference with interfaith leaders, hosted by the New York Board of Rabbis. The comments are the latest example of Shea and other NYPD leaders publicly breaking with their boss, the mayor, over major police reforms that have cascaded out of City Hall and Albany in the weeks since protests against police brutality and racism began.

The legislation passed the City Council on June 18, as part of a package of NYPD reforms pushed through in the wake of George Floyd's killing by Minneapolis police and the national unrest that followed. Just before the Council passed the bill de Blasio indicated he would sign it, saying he had consulted with Shea, and the mayor has scheduled a required public hearing on the bill for July 7.

"I've worked on this closely in the last few days and been in constant touch with our police commissioner and I'm now convinced this is the right legislation to move forward with and I will sign it," de Blasio told reporters hours before the Council voted through the bill.

But in the video conference Tuesday, Shea told religious leaders, "Now you have a law passed by this City Council that I think is incredibly reckless. And I'm speaking about -- again I'm going to have my opinion -- I'm speaking about the chokehold ban that was passed in the City Council."

The problem with the bill he said, is that, unlike the state chokehold prohibition, which Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law in mid-June, the Council's bill not only makes it a misdemeanor for a police officer to compress an individual's windpipe, it also outlaws "sitting, kneeling, or standing on the chest or back in a manner that compresses the diaphragm."

"The diaphragm opens up the front stomach area or above the stomach, the back of somebody," Shea said. The bill says, "during the arrest you should not sit -- I agree with that -- stand -- I agree with that -- or kneel -- and that's where we have a problem."

"When you look at the police officers now, and again I'm being honest," Shea continued, "they are going to make a mental calculation: ‘am I making the arrest here, what am I doing, do I engage here, am I going to be supported, and what if it goes wrong am I going to be arrested?’"

He said the breadth of the prohibition could make even small or accidental pressure on a person's stomach or back -- what he said is a frequent occurrence in "fluid" arrests -- a criminal offense.

The term FIDO originated in Tactical Convoy Operations (I think) but has become common place in text shorthand.

If police members aren't familiar with the term yet, people can rest assured they soon will be. Lot's of ex-marines in the police services now and they are well acquainted with the concept.

Edited by Wolfhunter
2 hours ago, Marshall said:

"Turning a Blind Eye to"

Reality...

And what good is bread if you don't have a 60 inch colour TV to watch while you eat it.

AOC suggests NYC crime surge due to unemployment, residents who need to 'shoplift some bread'

The New York Democrat insisted that the uptick in crime is unrelated to the new NYPD budget cuts

4 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

The term FIDO originated in Tactical Convoy Operations (I think) but has become common place in text shorthand.

If police members aren't familiar with the term yet, people can rest assured they soon will be. Lot's of ex-marines in the police services now and they are well acquainted with the concept.

Took me a while to find it (not being in the military and all).  You're right - I expect this will be the new SOP.

Reminds me of a scene from The Town - a cop in his patrol car happens to notice an escaping crew of four bank robbers wearing masks and holding shotguns in a wildly swerving car.  Instead of engaging or chasing them he does the mental math and casually looks away.

I always say, if you don't want to know (or deal with) the answer - don't ask the question!

If a cop doesn't want to deal with the gang of thugs in the BMW - just look away and don't pull them over.

Edited by seeker
  • Thanks 1

Democrat sheriff says defunding police means 'you won’t find good men and women willing to do this job'

Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone says "demonizing" law enforcement will “change the entire dynamic of who we are as a nation”

Lt. Gov. Patrick blasts Biden, BLM over Texas ambush: They're 'aiding, abetting' the mob attacking police

Dan Patrick, Texas Lieutenant Governor, slams Democrat politicians and Black Lives Matter amid calls to defund police

A Democrat sheriff in Arizona on Sunday slammed the notion advocated by Black Lives Matter protesters to defund the police, arguing that demonizing law enforcement will lead to “lawlessness” and “change the entire dynamic of who we are as a nation” because then you “won’t find good men and women willing to do this job.”

Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone, who runs the largest sheriff’s office in the state and fourth-largest in the country, answered reporters' questions on the impact of defunding the police. Video of the press conference was posted on YouTube Sunday.

“If we continue to go about this issue as demonizing and criticizing law enforcement without limitations and not recognizing the dangers, the challenges, and the human elements, then we will live in a space that’s lawlessness because you won’t find good men and women willing to do this job and that changes the entire dynamic of who we are as a nation,” Penzone said.

“The solution to the problem is to find a way to be better. Not find a way to be punitive because we’re not happy with what we’ve seen,” he said.

The sheriff said he agrees that there are problems in law enforcement that "we need to overcome" but that the profession "in its majority is not the problem. It's more about the solution."

“We cannot tolerate racial injustice, implicit bias, explicit bias, racist policing – we can’t tolerate those things – and we cannot tolerate abuse by law enforcement,” he continued. “But don’t ever underestimate the balance in the two. That there’s violence out there that’s inherent and we are the ones that have to go out there and engage it and try to mitigate it.”

Penzone, who has combined 30 years of law enforcement and public safety experience, further explained why he has “serious concern over statements to defund the police,” and the potential impact on agencies, law enforcement officers, and the American people.

“We live in a nation where there are laws intended to protect people to include the community. Protect everyone from people acting in a manner that's in conflict with our values, our principles or our laws -- to include often times when we see law enforcement actions that are deemed criminal in nature,” the sheriff said. “Yet, we still have to have men and women who are willing to do this job to keep their communities safe because there are bad people out there. There are violent people and there are laws that need to be enforced.”

Penzone described how by defunding police departments, cities and towns would be stripping resources, training, and support services for police officers to "be better, be stable, be mentally well."

SEATTLE POLICE CHIEF SAYS 'RECKLESS' AND 'POLITICAL' 50 PERCENT BUDGET CUT WOULD LEAD TO MAJOR LAYOFFS FOR BLACK OFFICERS 

“I have deputies now who have suffered a significant trauma during this event,” he said, referencing major protests as well as increased violence and looting that has gripped the nation since the May 25 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. “If I have less dollars that means I can’t have a program in place to check and care for them to ensure that they can return to service in a healthy capacity.”

“If you defund law enforcement that means when we make decisions relative to do we have a gun and a Taser or just a gun if we’re going to face lethal force we’re going to have to at least have that option available to protect ourselves and others. Now you’re limiting other options that could be non-lethal," Penzone continued.

Penzone, a Democrat, was elected sheriff in 2016, defeating longtime incumbent Joe Arpaio. He is a former sergeant in the Phoenix Police Department, where he worked for 21 years, including seven dedicated to the department’s nationally-recognized Silent Witness program, which focuses on solving cold cases and apprehending dangerous fugitives.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, Marshall said:

Based on recent attacks on police members and restraints on their ability to take control of offenders ( ) I can see police backing off and watching more and more, rather than placing themselves at risk to harm, law suits and of course gaol. Recent action taken by NY.

https://www.gothamgazette.com/city/9555-police-commissioner-shea-repeatedly-contradicts-mayor-de-blasio-nypd

My coffee buddy and I witnessed something like this last week.

There was a young aboriginal squatting at a patio table on a well traveled avenue with lots of pedestrian and patio traffic.  He was on something because he had already dispensed with half of his clothes, was yelling incoherently and flailing his body around.

Two motorcycle policemen were going down the street they both looked over at him and then went  casually on their way.

We used to see cops pull over and at least investigate. But now they never seem to bother to stop.

Edited by Fido
2 hours ago, Fido said:

My coffee buddy and I witnessed something like this last week.

There was a young aboriginal squatting at a patio table on a well traveled avenue with lots of pedestrian and patio traffic.  He was on something because he had already dispensed with half of his clothes, was yelling incoherently and flailing his body around.

Two motorcycle policemen were going down the street they both looked over at him and then went  casually on their way.

We used to see cops pull over and at least investigate. But now they never seem to bother to stop.

Yeah, that's totally not a situation for the police - better call in the social workers.

• Like 1

I'm starting to like this guy. 

How is it that liberal Democrats all start using the same word at the same time? I've never heard the word "reimagine" used so often by so many people. 

They're like little parrots, except parrots are cute.... and smart. All of this was a tactical gift, freely given to the DNC, a simple matter of good luck and a golden opportunity. A little bit of spice improves the stew, too much ruins it; never let liberals make stew! 

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6171372346001#sp=show-clips

And guess what's up 145%? Any and all rational debate over gun regulation in the US is now on hold indefinitely.... the goddess of reality is nothing if not predictable.

Put in context, it means that in the month of June alone, a full 1% of the US population bought guns for the first time. It's like madness knows no bounds:

Record numbers of Americans try to buy guns

Coronavirus pandemic, civil unrest, calls to defund police bringing in new buyers

- Now back to the important stuff like which way Trump's eagle is facing and which statue of a person long dead needs to get toppled. 

•  

Edited by Wolfhunter

Portland police chief laments move to disband gun violence reduction team, as gun violence soars

Mayor Wheeler had abolished the unit as part of an 'action plan to increase police accountability'

Portland’s police chief is lamenting Mayor Ted Wheeler’s decision to shut down a gun violence reduction team -- just as the city has seen a dramatic spike in shootings that the top cop described as "very, very alarming."

“The loss of the gun violence reduction team, in particular, has a diminishing effect on how we're able to investigate shootings, which is some of the most important crimes that we investigate,” Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said in a podcast. “So we still have to do that work and figuring out how we're going to do that without the experience that that team had has been a bit of a challenge."

PORTLAND'S UNREST CONTINUES FOR SIX STRAIGHT WEEKS WITH NO APPARENT END IN SIGHT 

Lovell was responding to police numbers showing a dramatic spike in shootings in the city. As of July 12, there were 42 shootings in the city this month. (That’s compared with just 11 in that timeframe in 2019, according to KPTV.)

July looks set to dwarf previous months as well. According to the outlet, there were 59  shootings in the whole of June, and 46 in all of May.

Mayor Wheeler had abolished the unit as part of an “action plan to increase police accountability and reinvest in Black and Brown communities.” The plan, announced last month, promised to dissolve the team and “fundamentally re-shape our approach to reduce gun violence in collaboration with the Office of Youth Violence Prevention, District Attorney-elect, and other partners.”

Police Chief Lovell went on to say that the shootings are still being investigated, first by patrols before the investigations are moved to the detective division, “but not having that resource is concerning.”

“It remains to be seen what those numbers are going to trend to, but I'm fearful that that will have a negative impact on communities of color, especially,” he said, before calling the rise in shootings “very, very alarming.”

“We have detectives. We have officers who will go out and do the initial investigation and canvas on the scene. But we did lose a very valuable resource in the gun violence reduction team,” he said.

DEFIANT PORTLAND MAYOR TELLS FEDS TO 'STAY INSIDE' OR 'LEAVE' CITY, ASKS DHS TO CLEAN UP GRAFITTI

The shootings come as Portland has been hit by a wave of protests and violence in the wake of the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody in May. However, the shootings do not appear to be directly associated with those protests.

Those demonstrations have raged for six weeks straight, and local businesses have reported $23 million in losses due to looting and rioting that have gripped its downtown area since the end of May.

Wheeler said that acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf called him on Tuesday to speak to him about the ongoing violence and how the government could help. Wheeler tweeted that he told Wolf “that my biggest immediate concern is the violence federal officers brought to our streets in recent days, and the life-threatening tactics his agents use.”

“We do not need or want their help,” he said.

Fox News’ Danielle Wallace and Michael Ruiz con

Defund the police, as foreseen, the criminals love it.

NYC community activist says out-of-state protesters involved in 'peace march' where cops were attacked

'To see what had transpired inches away from us … it was disheartening,' Herbert says

Prominent members of Black community call on NYPD to bring back anti-crime unit

Community activist Tony Herbert is leading the charge to stop the violence and unify New York City.

New York City community activist Tony Herbert told “Fox & Friends” on Thursday that he participated in a march the day before that turned violent against New York Police Department (NYPD) officers, calling it “disheartening.”

“Our March wasn't a protest,” Herbert said. “It was a declaration of saying, ‘We are coming together as New Yorkers to stop the craziness.’”

He went on to say that seeing the violence against “police officers who are just doing their job” was “unfortunate.”

“They didn't go and set upon anybody, they were set upon by others and that wasn't right,” Herbert said.

Herbert made the comments the morning after a protester assaulted a group of NYPD officers, including the highest-ranking uniformed member of the department, during a demonstration on the Brooklyn Bridge, according to police and footage of the attack.

Video shows someone from the group along the bridge approaching the edge of the fence, leaning over and whacking officers huddled against the barrier.

The NYPD announced that at least three officers suffered serious injuries after someone swung a long object at the officers while they were placing someone under arrest.

A police department spokesperson said the Chief of Department, Terence Monahan, is the other white-shirt member of the department seen in the video with the group at the time of the attack and suffered a non-life-threatening hand injury. Monahan was one of the NYPD members lauded for taking a knee with protesters during a June 1 demonstration in the city.

FAMILY OF 1-YEAR-OLD KILLED IN NYC TELLS GUNMAN: ‘YOU TOOK MY SON’S LIFE... YOU CAN GO TO HELL’ 

After the first melee, another chaotic brawl occurred between more protesters and police near where the first one happened. One officer suffered a broken eye socket, NYPD Lt. John Grimpel told Fox News. In total, 37 people were arrested from the protest.

Herbert said that he learned that a flyer had gone out Wednesday morning “calling people to mobilize at 8 a.m. to be the anti-protesters to our peace March.” He noted that he learned that a lot of the “anti-protesters” were from out of state.

Herbert explained that the peace march was “led by the clergy and we partnered with the Sergeants Benevolent Association and other community organizations.”

“We had people from the NAACP and other civil rights organizations marching with us as well as people from the community,” he said.Video

“To see what had transpired inches away from us … it was disheartening,” Herbert continued.

“Here it is you are talking about a peace march, I don't know what memo they got with regards to what it might have been, but it was about unifying our city for those of us that live here and creating an opportunity for us to get to the table and have positive dialogue.”

Herbert has joined Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams in the call for the New York Police Department to reinstate its recently-shuttered anti-crime unit as the Big Apple continues to struggle with a surge in gun violence.

The call from one of the city’s most influential Black leaders comes days after the tragic shooting death of 1-year-old Davell Gardner, who was struck in the stomach with a bullet during a family cookout.

Herbert told CBS New York this week that “the guns keep going off and now we have a 1-year-old and the blood is on the hands of the mayor and the state legislature."

The NYPD Anti-Crime Unit was shut down in mid-June amid protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, with its roughly 600 plainclothes officers being reassigned to other divisions.

This past weekend alone, there were 28 shooting incidents and 35 victims across the city’s five boroughs, compared to just five incidents and six victims during the same Friday-to-Sunday period last year, the NYPD told Fox News.

The NYPD and De Blasio’s office did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/community-activist-peace-march-nyc-protesters-cops-attacked

Ted Cruz Cruz blasts Democrats for 'facilitating and cheering' violent protests in Portland

'This is not Fallujah' the Texas senator tweets

Federal courthouse becomes center of protest movement in Portland

The Department of Homeland Security and local officials clash over how to handle the violence; William La Jeunesse reports.

Sen. Ted Cruz unleashed on Democrats Saturday for "facilitating and cheering" on violent protests in Portland, which he likened to cities that have experienced deadly clashes in Iraq and Lebanon.

Cruz, R-Texas, retweeted a graphic video that purports to show Antifa and Black Live Matter activists attacking a boarded-up federal courthouse in Portland overnight Friday.

"This is not Fallujah. This is not Beirut. This is America," Cruz tweeted. "And Dem politicians are facilitating & cheering them on."

US ATTORNEY CALLS FOR PROBE INTO FEDERAL CRACKDOWN ON PORTLAND RIOTS; DHS CHIEF PROMISES ‘WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER’

Protests against systemic racism and police brutality have been a nightly feature in deeply liberal Portland since the death of Minneapolis man George Floyd while in police custody on May 25. President Trump has decried the disorder and Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf blasted the protesters as “lawless anarchists” in a visit to the city, helping make the clashes between police and demonstrators a national focus.

PORTLAND, OREGON, USA: Police confront demonstrators as Black Lives Matter supporters demonstrate in Portland, Oregon on July 4, 2020, at Portland's Justice Center and throughout Portland, with a riot declared about 12.20 am on July 5. CS tear gas and less-lethal weapons were used, and multiple arrests were made. (Photo by John Rudoff/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

PORTLAND, OREGON, USA: Police confront demonstrators as Black Lives Matter supporters demonstrate in Portland, Oregon on July 4, 2020, at Portland's Justice Center and throughout Portland, with a riot declared about 12.20 am on July 5. CS tear gas and less-lethal weapons were used, and multiple arrests were made. (Photo by John Rudoff/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

The administration has enlisted federal agents, including the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group and an elite U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) team based on the U.S.-Mexico border, to protect federal property. But Oregon Public Broadcasting reported this week that some agents had been driving around in unmarked vans and snatching protesters from streets not near federal property, without identifying themselves.

Tensions also escalated after an officer with the Marshals Service fired a less-lethal round at a protester’s head on July 11, critically injuring him.

AS CITY VIOLENCE SURGES, LIBERAL MAYORS ENGAGE IN SOCIAL MEDIA FEUDS WITH TRUMP OFFICIALS

The agents' actions have prompted outrage from elected officials and civil liberties groups, with Mayor Ted Wheeler demanding at a news conference Friday: “Keep your troops in your own buildings, or have them leave our city."

Democrat Gov. Kate Brown said Trump is looking for a confrontation in the hope of winning political points elsewhere and distracting from his widely panned response to the coronavirus pandemic.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Trump had deployed "stormtroopers" to the city and called for an end to the Department of Homeland Security's mission.

But Cruz hit back at Pelosi's critique.

"Cops are not stormtroopers. Arrests are not kidnappings. ANTIFA terrorists are not protestors," he tweeted Saturday. "Dems are making the cynical political decision to stand with violent criminals trying to destroy America."

Meanwhile, the clashes continue.

Militarized federal agents deployed by Trump to Portland fired tear gas against protesters again overnight as the city’s mayor demanded that the agents be removed and as the state’s attorney general vowed to seek a restraining order against them.

DHS ACCUSES PORTLAND OFFICIALS OF ENABLING 'MOB,' POSTS TIMELINE OF DAMAGE BY 'VIOLENT ANARCHISTS'  

Federal agents, some wearing camouflage and some wearing dark Homeland Security uniforms, used tear gas at least twice to break up crowds late Friday night, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum also sued Homeland Security and the Marshals Service in federal court Friday night. The complaint alleges that unidentified federal agents have grabbed people off Portland's streets “without warning or explanation, without a warrant, and without providing any way to determine who is directing this action.”

9 hours ago, Marshall said:

'And Dem politicians are facilitating & cheering them on."

A short sighted method of playing to the base for votes. They have taken a potential wedge issue that could have been a tactical gift of immense proportion and overplayed the hand to the point of failure. Completely unfit to govern.... come Nov, US choices are pretty stark. 

I'm not a Trump fan, but he is the only alternative to complete chaos. I can't imagine the California effect sweeping the nation without the ramifications eluded to in the article. I don't know a single veteran with experience "over there" who doesn't consider the current crop of Demonrats to be certifiably insane.

As a for instance, this guy has important things to do.... get at it fool:

"Mayor Bill de Blasio had made as one of his priorities the painting of a large yellow “Black Lives Matter” mural down Fifth Avenue -- right outside Trump Tower, in a clear knock at the current occupant of the White House."

The question is no longer WDYTWGTH, it's do you really want what you seem to be asking for? If yes, I invite you to enjoy the show you helped produce.

While we are at it, look at the statistics after TAVIS and carding (in known gang areas) was suspended. The idea of carding is to deter people from illegally carrying weapons in areas where they are known to carry illegal weapons. Not wanting that is a choice, choices have consequences, if you like what you see then stay the course because there is more to come.... it's almost like it's deliberate. 

Here is a question for any liberal muttering under their breath about this particular article and the notion that criminality and not race is at the heart of carding.... why is it OK for police to park outside authorized ranges (and gun clubs) to screen card carrying members as they arrive? 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Does she want the riots, burnings to go unchecked?  'Seems to me the perps are behaving just like mobs in "banana republics" have been know to do.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer issued a joint statement Saturday denouncing the Trump administration's actions.

"We live in a democracy, not a banana republic. We will not tolerate the use of Oregonians, Washingtonians — or any other Americans — as props in President Trump's political games. The House is committed to moving swiftly to curb these egregious abuses of power immediately," they said.

Protests intensify in Portland against police, as Trump says local leaders have 'lost control'

Police declare demonstrations a riot as fire set at Portland Police Association building

The Associated Press · Posted: Jul 19, 2020 10:53 AM ET | Last Updated: 34 minutes ago

racial-injustice-portland.jpg
Protesters relocate a fence in front of the Justice Center on Saturday during another night of protests in Portland, Ore. (Mark Graves/The Oregonian via The Associated Press)

Protesters broke into a building, set it on fire and started dumpster fires late Saturday night in Oregon's largest city, police said, as demonstrations that have been taking place since the death of George Floyd intensified for another night in Portland.

The fire at the Portland Police Association building was put out a short time later, police said on Twitter. The department declared the gathering a riot and began working to clear the downtown area.

"As the crowd was dispersed, several people in the crowd were arrested and officers were able to extinguish the fire. Portland Police did not use any CS gas," the bureau said in a statement early Sunday. Several arrests were made.

Tear gas was deployed, according to pictures and video from the scene, but it was not necessarily CS gas. Fencing that had been placed around the federal courthouse had also been removed by protesters and made into barricades, police tweeted.

Police also said protesters had gathered on Saturday evening at the Portland Police Bureau's North Precinct, vandalizing patrol vehicles and taunting officers who were reporting for work. Later, as police dispersed a group that had gathered near North Interstate Avenue, people threw rocks and paint-filled balloons at officers. Some were injured, the statement said.

U.S. President Donald Trump has decried the demonstrations, and Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf blasted the protesters as "lawless anarchists" in a visit to the city on Thursday.

"We are trying to help Portland, not hurt it," Trump tweeted Sunday. "Their leadership has, for months, lost control of the anarchists and agitators. They are missing in action. We must protect Federal property, AND OUR PEOPLE. These were not merely protesters, these are the real deal!"

Local politicians angry with troop deployment

Before the aggressive language and action from federal officials, the unrest had frustrated Mayor Ted Wheeler and other local authorities, who had said a small cadre of violent activists were drowning out the message of peaceful protesters in the city. But Wheeler said the federal presence in the city is now exacerbating a tense situation, and he has told them to depart.

"Keep your troops in your own buildings, or have them leave our city," Wheeler said Friday.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum late Friday sued Homeland Security and the Marshals Service in federal court. The complaint said unidentified federal agents have grabbed people off Portland's streets "without warning or explanation, without a warrant, and without providing any way to determine who is directing this action."

racial-injustice-portland.jpg
Police respond to protesters during a demonstration on Friday in Portland, Ore. Militarized federal agents deployed by the U.S. president to the city fired tear gas against protesters again overnight as the city’s mayor demanded that the agents be removed and as the state’s attorney general vowed to seek a restraining order against them. (Dave Killen/The Oregonian via The Associated Press)

Rosenblum said she was seeking a temporary restraining order to "immediately stop federal authorities from unlawfully detaining Oregonians."

The administration has enlisted federal agents, including the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group and an elite U.S. Customs and Border Protection team based on the U.S.-Mexico border, to protect federal property.

But Oregon Public Broadcasting reported this week that some agents had been driving around in unmarked vans and snatching protesters from streets not near federal property, without identifying themselves.

Tensions also escalated after an officer with the Marshals Service fired a less-lethal round at a protester's head on July 11, critically injuring him.

'We live in a democracy, not a banana republic'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer issued a joint statement Saturday denouncing the Trump administration's actions.

"We live in a democracy, not a banana republic. We will not tolerate the use of Oregonians, Washingtonians — or any other Americans — as props in President Trump's political games. The House is committed to moving swiftly to curb these egregious abuses of power immediately," they said.

racial-injustice-protester-injured-portl
A waste receptacle's contents are in flames on July 12 as protesters gathered in downtown Portland, Ore. There have been ongoing protests in the city in the wake of George Floyd's May 25 killing by police in Minneapolis, with the increased presence recently of federal officers heightening tensions. (Dave Killen/The Oregonian via AP)

Hundreds of people had gathered Friday night for a vigil outside the downtown Justice Center, which is sandwiched between two federal buildings, including a courthouse, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported. Across the street, dozens of other protesters entered two recently closed city parks after dismantling chain-link fencing that blocked access.

Federal agents emerged from an office building next door and used impact munitions, stun grenades and tear gas to clear the area, the news organization reported. It said its journalists did not observe any incident that might have prompted the use of the weapons.

Federal officers deployed tear gas again just before midnight after a few protesters placed dismantled fencing in front of plywood doors covering the entrance of the federal courthouse.

Early Saturday, Portland police declared the gathering unlawful, saying protesters had piled fencing in front of the exits to the federal courthouse and the Multnomah County Justice Center and then shot off fireworks at the Justice Center.

racial-injustice-protester-injured-portl
Federal officers pull a protester into the Federal Courthouse on July 10 as protesters gather in downtown Portland, Ore. The increased presence of federal officers has displeased the city's mayor and the state governor. (Dave Killen/The Oregonian via The Associated Press)

Federal officers and local police then advanced simultaneously on the demonstrators to clear the streets, making arrests as protesters threw bottles and pieces of metal fence at police, the Portland Police Bureau said. Portland police Chief Chuck Lovell told reporters Friday that his officers are in contact with the federal agents but that neither controls the others' actions.

The overnight action by Portland's police was condemned by Jo Ann Hardesty, a prominent member of city council. Hardesty said Saturday that local police "joined in the aggressive clampdown of peaceful protest."

She also slammed Wheeler, telling the mayor he needed to better control local law enforcement. Hardesty, who oversees the city's fire department and other first-responder agencies, said in an open letter to Wheeler that if "you can't control the police, give me the Portland Police Bureau."

In a statement Saturday, Portland Police said as they responded to the overnight protests — which included people throwing projectiles at them — some federal agencies took action "under their own supervision and direction." Portland Police said city officers arrested seven people, and one officer sustained a minor injury.

The statement said the city's police support peaceful protests, and beginning Saturday night, Department of Homeland Security police wouldn't work in the Portland Police incident command centre.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Does she want the riots, burnings to go unchecked? 

There was some political gain to be had here if they played it smart and offered a viable solution. It may be due to pandering to their far left wing, but this has been badly managed and runs totally counter to any form of common sense found anywhere on the planet. People need only look and learn.... that simple, that difficult.

By over playing their hand, they have provided reasonable people a glimpse into what they could expect from a Democratic administration under Biden.... huge and frightening miscalculation IMO. Most reasonable people now see the futility in discourse, the polls will likely get this wrong. I do all of them that come my way, after the second question it becomes obvious what they want to hear... I give it to them, others do too.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Chicago's violent weekend sees at least 8 killed, 40 others shot, police say

Officials say no arrests have been made in any of the shootings

Is it time for the federal government to intervene in Chicago?

Chicago crime continues to rise as police are injured in clashes with protesters in Grant Park; Fox News political analyst Gianno Caldwell reacts.

Chicago on Sunday was reeling from another violent weekend, with nearly 50 shootings – including eight people killed – since Friday, police said.

As of Sunday evening, officials said police have not made any arrests in any of the shootings.

The violence first unfolded around 5:30 p.m. Friday. Three people – a 14-year-old boy, a 21-year-old man, and a 27-year-old woman – were standing on a sidewalk when someone fired shots at them from within a car, WMAQ-TV reported. Doctors were treating all three of them at nearby hospitals; their conditions were unknown.

Later that evening, an armed suspect kicked in the door of a first-floor apartment on the same block of the first crime scene, shooting a 60-year-old man in the neck and 23-year-old in the arm, police said. The 60-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene and the 23-year-old was recovering at University of Chicago Medical Center in fair condition.

Chicago was reeling from another weekend of bloody violence.

Less than an hour later, three people inside a vehicle were shot, investigators said. One of the three, a 20-year-old man, was shot in the chest and died, while the other two, ages 19 and 30, were wounded but survived.

After midnight, a 67-year-old man was killed by gunfire while walking on a sidewalk. Hours later, shots rang out hitting a group of five people, police said. A 25-year-old man was hit in the chest and pronounced dead at Mount Sinai. The remaining four people were injured but listed in good condition.

AS CITY VIOLENCE SURGES, LIBERAL MAYORS ENGAGE IN SOCIAL MEDIA FEUDS WITH TRUMP OFFICIALS

Minutes later, investigators said an 18-year-old man drove into a tree after somebody had shot at him. Police found him inside the wrecked vehicle and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Early Saturday morning, a 26-year-old man was found lying on the ground with gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Sunday afternoon, a gunman in the city’s Auburn Gresham neighborhood got out of a car and fired shots at two boys – ages 10 and 11 – and a 27-year-old man, Fox 32 reported. All three were hospitalized and in good condition, according to the station.

At least three more people were killed, and 30 others were injured, in shootings throughout Chicago between Friday and Sunday evening.

When considering the notion of "politically motivated," I'm wondering if the question itself is being framed in the proper context.

Since a 50% funding reduction translates into 50% fewer police officers, the real question is, are you happy with a doubling in response times? Does 50% less traffic enforcement work OK  in your area? Keep in mind it would be far less than that due to the volume of calls and any notion of prevention would stall completely, is that OK?

For me it's pretty simple, it means my expectation of response time goes from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. I'm willing to accept that, but in terms of ability to deal with such situations, I'm certainly not a typical example that should be used for justifying such extreme reductions in operational capacity.   

It's also reasonable to expect the  lowering of such thinks as stringent safe storage requirements and the addition of a stand your ground component to the inherent right of self defence.... it needs to be fully applicable to defending property and possessions and it needs to be fully in place before allowing the vortex to implement changes.  

You can't have this both ways... thinking you can is the realm of fools. The bigger question is even more basic, what do you do about people who are not capable, proficient, or even willing to deal with such encounters. In rural areas, they will essentially be on there own, is that OK? Until people in favour of heavy manning reductions with out offsets are willing to answer those questions and provide alternatives then it's just idle talk from people who don't know any better... a T-shirt slogan with no practical value.

Less is more and more is less... what the hell does that mean and how does it apply to targeted home invasions in rural areas. Anyone not prepared to discuss this subject rationally should remain silent and leave the issue to adults.

Protection of the old, the weak and the sick are exactly the sort of liberal values I USED TO VOTE FOR. WTF happened here? How did they all become morons at at the exact same moment in time?

Seattle police chief says 50% budget cut would be 'tragic decision' and is politically motivated

Edited by Wolfhunter

Portland protests: U.S. official says federal officers will ‘maintain presence’

By Doina Chiacu Reuters
Posted July 20, 2020 8:15 am
 Updated July 20, 2020 8:16 am
1:24Portland protests: Police union building set on fire, riot

A top U.S. Homeland Security official on Monday defended the federal crackdown on protests in Portland, Oregon, including the use of unmarked cars and unidentified officers in camouflage and said the practice will spread to other cities as needed.

Ken Cucinnelli, the acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) deputy secretary, said authorities received intelligence about planned attacks on federal facilities in Portland around July 4 and backed up the Federal Protective Service responsible for protecting them with other DHS law enforcement components.

“If we get the same kind of intelligence in other places, about threats to other federal facilities or officers, we would respond the same way,” Cucinnelli told CNN. “When they’re unusually threatened, we advance extra resources. So it’s really as simple as that.”

Federal officers last week started cracking down on crowds gathering in Portland to protest police brutality and systemic racism. They used tear gas to disperse protesters for the second night in a row on Sunday, according to videos posted online and media reports.

Portland Police early on Monday provided details on another tense night between protesters and federal law enforcement in the city, saying federal agents used tear gas to disperse a crowd that had gathered outside a federal courthouse in downtown Portland.

0:43Federal officers crack down on protesters in Portland

Federal officers crack down on protesters in Portland

The clampdown in the liberal city has drawn widespread criticism and legal challenges as videos surfaced of officers without clear identification badges using force and unmarked vehicles to arrest protesters without explanation.

Cuccinelli said the federal officers wore the same uniforms every day and the crowds knew who they were. He also defended the use of unmarked cars as routine.

“Unmarked police vehicles are so common it’s barely worth discussion,” he told CNN.

On Sunday, Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives demanded internal investigations into whether the Justice and Homeland Security departments “abused emergency authorities” in handling the Portland protests.

U.S. President Donald Trump condemned protests in Portland and violence in “Democrat-run” cities on Sunday as his Republican administration moves to intervene in urban centers he says have lost control of anti-racism demonstrations.

Portland’s mayor called the intervention an abuse of federal power and said it was escalating the violence. Oregon’s attorney general filed a lawsuit against the federal agencies, saying they had seized and detained people without probable cause.

Cucinnelli dismissed local leaders’ calls to leave the city.

“We will maintain our presence,” he said. “When that violence recedes and those threats recede, that is when we would ratchet back down to what I would call normal presence defending and protecting federal facilities.”

© 2020 Reuters

Toronto police charge 5 members of same family after drug investigation

By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted July 20, 2020 9:38 am  firearms-seized.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Alleged seizure of firearms and ammunition in drug investigation by Toronto police. Toronto police/Handouts

Toronto police say they’ve charged five people from the same family after a gun and drugs investigation in the city.

Police offered few details as to what led to the probe, but say they searched two locations last week.

During those searches, they say they recovered 11 firearms, 1,100 rounds of ammunition, as well as large quantities of cocaine, heroin and crystal meth.

Police say they arrested five people ranging in age from 48 to 19, all of whom are from the same household.

They declined to comment on the exact family relationships among the accused.

They face 53 charges between them, including multiple weapons-related offences and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

Former Gov. Pataki says NY is in 'dire straits,’ says new policing laws need to be undone

A city councilman from East Fishkill, NY, warned residents to stay away from the Big Apple due to a rise in crime

George Pataki fears NYC is 'going to die' under failed political leadership

Former New York Gov. George Pataki says he's never been more concerned in his life for New York City amid COVID-19 and the surge in violence.

Former New York Gov. George Pataki said on Monday that he feels New York City is in “dire straits” following new laws that curtail law enforcement, along with the spike in violent crime.

“Certainly, part of it is the coronavirus has had a huge impact on New York, changed the way people work and that’s going to hurt New York and also it is the New York leadership that has failed miserably,” said Pataki, a Republican who served as the state's 53rd governor from 1995-2006, on “America’s Newsroom.”

BLACK WOMAN DUMPS PAINT ON MORE BLACK LIVES MATTER MURALS IN NYC: 'WE WANT OUR POLICE'

Pataki said that New York leadership has “intentionally” damaged the future of New York by condemning the police department.

“What they have done to demonize the police department, to take away the police rights, to allow people to violently assault police and be out on the street the same day is already leading to a spike in crime,” Pataki said.

Pataki continued, “When you combine that with the shutdowns and the coronavirus and the concerns people had about New York before any of this happened. I’m really really concerned more so than at any point in my life.”

Meanwhile, a city councilman from East Fishkill, N.Y., has issued a travel advisory for New York City, warning residents of his Dutchess County city to stay away from the Big Apple due to a rise in crime.

The NYPD recently released data showing that in June 2020, the city saw a 130 percent rise in shooting incidents compared with June 2019, and a 51 percent rise in car thefts.

“Due to the rising rate of violence and major crimes, it is recommended that area residents exercise increased caution while visiting New York City,” Anil Beephan said in the advisory, which he posted on Facebook Wednesday, noting that “[a]rmed criminals have been known to target and attack individuals, both pre-meditated and at random.”

The advisory specified that people should “reconsider” traveling to the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens “due to crime,” while leaving out Staten Island.

Pataki said that a spike in crime could lead to economic distress, a decline in tourism, and the move of businesses out of New York City. Pataki also said that the “massive regulatory structure” and “high taxes out of Albany” is putting the city in “dire straits.”

“Undo the bad laws that the city of New York just passed. You see pictures of police officers struggling with criminals who resist arrest. If that police officer ends up sitting on the back of a person resisting arrest, that police officer can end up a criminal spending a year in jail under a new law,” Pataki said, calling for a "dramatic" shift in policies and political leadership.

THE DAY THE POLICE WERE NO LONGER NEEDED

On August 19, 1966 - Chinese students launched a fight for social justice to fight for the rights of the oppressed in China. It was widely believed that the 'patriarchal system' in China had been created by the 1% and held down women, minorities, and the working class. The students cried out for a revolution and change, and consequentially launched the infamous Chinese Cultural Revolution.

Students put a red band around their arm to stand in solidarity with the oppressed and called for a change on old ideas that they called the FOUR OLDS. The Four Olds were: Old Customs, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Ideas.

The movement was supported by the Chinese media.

Mass demonstrations and looting by the students ensued.

Statues were torn down.

Chinese architecture was destroyed.

Classical literature and Chinese paintings were torn apart and burned.

Temples were desecrated.

The Cemetery of Confucius was attacked.

The corpse of the 76th-generation Duke Yansheng was removed from its grave and hung from a tree.

Wealthy homes were attacked and destroyed.

Many families' long-kept genealogy books were burned to ashes.

All of history, in short, was to be removed and replaced. This was the central meaning of Cultural Revolution: That China was going to destroy every trace of its bourgeois (privileged) past and replace it with a new culture built on the principles of Maoism and Marxism.

Communist leaders like President Liu Shaoqi were taken out of power and replaced with men Mao believed were not critical of his reign.

Public leaders who were considered to be oppressive were tried by angry mobs and vigilantes.

Three days later, August 22, 1966, a central directive was issued to stop police intervention. The police were disbanded in the city and the students formed a community solution called the RED GUARD. The RED GUARDS policed the communities and punished anyone who did not agree with their ideas. Even people that supported the movement, but had bad thoughts ("wrong think") could be punished.

Though many Christians supported the movement in the beginning, they quickly became the number one target of the RED GUARDS and public trials were held to condemn them to death.

Many of those that were on board with the cause of the rebellion, in the beginning, saw that it was not really what they had signed up for, but by then it was too late. The power that the Red Guard wanted had already been given.

More people died during the cultural revolution in China than any war, famine, or natural disaster in the history of man. An estimated 20 to 30 million people were killed.

Are you listening America?

FB8281D3-6D66-4CBE-BAEC-52AA98570045.jpeg

I'm rooting for ya but I think you you are wasting your time.

I look forward to seeing if I'm correct in assuming that this has become self sustaining. IMO, the election result in Nov will be grounds for another round of madness regardless of who wins. Democrats have utterly failed to provide the country with a reasonable moderate alternative and the choices are far and away too stark not to serve as a catalyst for mayhem either way. 

The real problem here is the appetite for conflict and stark narratives within the electorate. There is a need for moderation, cooperation and compromise and it is gonzo.... you need look no further that the handful of posters on this very forum to see that. And you need only look to history to divine the result of it.  

• Like 1