Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

The Defund the Police Movement

Gianno Caldwell destroys anti-police narrative: 'Victims in Chicago are not screaming defund the police'

Caldwell implores black communities to work with law enforcement to stop epidemic of violence

When will crime in Chicago end?

Fox News political analyst Gianno Caldwell provides insight into the stark increase in shootings in Chicago, Illinois.

Fox News political analyst and Chicago native Gianno Caldwell went off on the nationwide push to defund law enforcement, as the people of Chicago were struck by yet another violent and deadly weekend.

"I am p****ed the hell off with what I am seeing in the city of Chicago," said Caldwell on "The Evening Edit" on Tuesday night.

"The victims in Chicago are not screaming 'defund the police.' They're asking for more police," he told Fox Business host David Asman. "They're asking for responsible police in their communities because at this point they don't know if they are going to make it another week because their grandparent could be shot. Their nephew could be shot.  Their 1-year-old brother or son could be shot."

GIANNO CALDWELL CALLS FOR CHICAGO MAYOR FOR ABANDONING AFRICAN-AMERICANS AMID RIOTS

"Last weekend 65 people shot, 18 fatally, including a 1-year-old, a 10-year-old, and 17-year-old," he continued, ticking off the grim statistics. "Two weeks ago, 104 people shot, 15 killed, including a 3-year-old and four teens. On May 31st, 18 people were killed in a single Sunday."

"You have to ask yourself — when does this end?" Caldwell said, "When the hell does this end? Do people care about their own lives? Rally and shout about 'Black Lives Matter,' but do you care about your own lives? Do you care about your brothers' or sisters' lives?"

For Caldwell, the rash of deadly violence that has plagued Chicago for years is strikingly personal.

FOR LIMITED TIME, RECEIVE 25% OFF NEW PURCHASE OF A YEARLY FOX NATION SUBSCRIPTION

In the Fox Nation documentary "The New Battle for Chicago," Caldwell returned to the streets where he grew up and the home were he was raised by his grandparents after his mother's drug addiction robbed her of the ability to care for her children.

"That back window on the other side is an area where one day my grandmother wouldn't let my mom come in the house because the drugs she was using and she didn't want us to see that," he said in the Fox Nation show. "My mom slept right outside the window over there crying because she couldn't get in." For "The New Battle for Chicago," Caldwell interviewed local residents and politicians as well as drug dealers and gang members, and he was struck by the fact that the criminals did not hesitate to tell him about their crimes.

"I went out and interviewed the gang members who told me that they were perpetuating the violence," he recalled, explaining that criminals operate without fear of being turned over to police.

"People who didn't mind going on camera and talking about their exploits," he said, arguing that people in the African-American community know who the trouble-makers are.

IRAQ WAR VET AND AFRICAN-AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE TAKES ON 'TOXIC' NARRATIVES ABOUT POLICE

"It is time to start working with the police, and that's what's necessary," he concluded, "because if you don't start talking to the police now, whether you be in a gang or not in a gang, or you just know the people, your family could be next."

To watch "The New Battle for Chicago" and learn more about Caldwell's investigation of the causes and cures of the violence plaguing Chicago, go to Fox Nation and sign up today.

State senator calls out 'hypocrisy' of Minneapolis City Council members getting private security

The private security costs $4,500 per day in taxpayer dollars

Minnesota state senator reacts to city council members voting to disband police: ‘Hypocrisy’

Minnesota State Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka tells ‘America’s Newsroom’ it’s ‘hypocritical’ that the city council members want to defund the police, yet have their own protection.

The Minneapolis City Council's plan to dismantle police departments while being assigned private security details is “hypocrisy," Minnesota State Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka told “America’s Newsroom” on Wednesday.

Several Minneapolis City Council members who reportedly have received death threats following their calls to defund the police--after George Floyd’s death while in police custody on May 25--have been assigned private security details, which reportedly cost the city $4,500 per day in taxpayer dollars.

According to information obtained by Fox News, the city has spent $63,000 on private security over the last three weeks.

“The city of Minneapolis asked for 400 more police in January and they got a couple handfuls and now they want to defund the police, but yet they want their own protection,” Gazelka said, adding that the people of Minneapolis also “want their protection and they want” to be protected “by police.”

He pointed out that “a thousand buildings” were “destroyed,” a police precinct was destroyed, and the statue of Christopher Columbus was taken down in Minnesota following Floyd's death, which was captured on cellphone video that went viral around the world.

Gazelka made the comments after City Council members voted unanimously on Friday to amend the city’s charter to remove the mandate for a police department – the first step toward disbanding it in the wake of Floyd’s death.

The amendment proposed the city replace the police department with a Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention, “which will have responsibility for public safety services prioritizing a holistic, public health-oriented approach,” a draft of the amendment read.

The proposal added that the director of the new agency would have “non-law-enforcement experience in community safety services, including but not limited to public health and/or restorative justice approaches.” It also suggested setting up a division of licensed peace officers who would answer to the department’s director.

“They don't know where they’re going,” Gazelka said on Wednesday.

“Minneapolis was meant to be a great city, but we have to stop lawlessness, that's one of the things that we need for the communities within Minneapolis to thrive.”Video

MINNEAPOLIS NEIGHBORHOOD THAT VOWED NOT TO CALL POLICE IN WAKE OF FLOYD DEATH IS ALREADY BEING TESTED BY 300-STRONG HOMELESS ENCAMPMENT

He added that “the fact that the city of Minneapolis, the city council there is against the police, is really bad.”

He explained that “the police are trying to do the best they can” and that “we are going to bring reforms on the state level.”

Gazelka also said that the state Senate will hold hearings on “what went wrong.”

He said questions he wants answered include: “Why did the National Guard not come for four days? Why did they not protect the statue of Christopher Columbus when they knew it was going to be torn down? Why did they let the precinct be destroyed when they knew they were going to do that?

“We’re going to get to the bottom of it,” Gazelka said, adding that defunding the police is not the answer.

Although the amendment received a 12-0 vote from council members, it’s facing an uphill battle as it makes its way past a policy committee and to the city’s Charter Commission for a formal review, at which point citizens and city officials also could weigh in.

If successful, the amendment will appear on the November ballot for a vote in the general election.Video

“[If] this charter amendment were to pass through you would have the head of public safety report to 14 different people, myself and 13 council members,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said. “Every time something bad happens it’ll be a big finger pointing contest.”

“That won’t work,” Gazelka said in response.

“We can do better in Minnesota,” he added. “I intend for Minnesota to be the great state it's meant to be and for Minneapolis to be the shining light it's meant to be.”

Fox News’ Vandana Rambaran and Caitlin McFall contributed to this repo

Rep. Cleaver calls 'defund the police' slogan 'a spine-chilling and nightmarish name for a masterful idea'

'I want police and I want good police,' Missouri Democrat says

Rep. Cleaver reacts to protesters calling to defund police: ‘Nightmare of an idea’

Missouri Democrat Rep. Emanuel Cleaver joins Dana Perino on ‘The Daily Briefing.’

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., claimed on "The Daily Briefing" Wednesday that the "defund the police" slogan is not a call to deprive law enforcement of money, telling host Dana Perino that "nobody with an IQ at room temperature wants to shut down the police department."

"This is a spine-chilling and nightmarish name for a masterful idea, 'defund the police,'" Cleaver said. "I wish we could get rid of that title. What I think most people are supporting is the reengineering of police."

NY CITY COUNCIL APPROVES SLASHING NYPD BUDGET BY $1 BILLION

Establishment Democrats and and left-wing progressives have debated the precise meaning of “defund the police." Some, like Cleaver, argue the phrase shouldn’t be taken literally, but should be considered a catch-all to describe needed police reforms.

Cleaver then told Perino about a situation involving a white friend whose son struggled with schizophrenia. One day, Cleaver's friend called the police for help as his son brandished a knife in the man's front yard.

"It all ended in his son being shot, I think, 13 times in the front yard," Cleaver said, making the point that most "thoughtful people" are calling for a "unit of the police department that is trained in how to deal with those issues."

Some Democrats disagree with Cleaver, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

“Defunding police means defunding police. It does not mean budget tricks or funny math. It does not mean moving school police officers from the NYPD budget to the Department of Education’s budget so the exact same police remain in schools,” the congresswoman said in a statement Tuesday during negotiations between the New York City Council and Mayor Bill de Blasio to cut $1 billion from the NYPD’s $6 billion budget.

"What I'm hoping we can stop doing is exaggerating people's positions who are seemingly on another side of the issue," Cleaver told Perino Wednesday. "But I don't know anybody who wants to say we don't need the police and let's take the money and put it into the Kansas City Chiefs organization or something. Change is uncomfortable, even change from bad to good is uncomfortable. But nothing is as uncomfortable as it remains stuck in the mud."

"This is an excellent opportunity for us to change and change for the better," Cleaver added. "I want police and I want good police."

Fox News' Morgan Phillips contributed to this report.

WORLD | News

Florida sheriff: I'll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt

Published Wednesday, July 1, 2020 8:41PM EDT
Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels

Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels appears in a video posted to Facebook on Tuesday, June 30, 2020.

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, FLA. -- A Florida sheriff says he will deputize every gun owner in his county to put down any violent protests his deputies can't handle alone.

Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels gave no indication in a three-minute video released Wednesday that any demonstrations are planned in his suburban Jacksonville county. Daniels also said he would protect any peaceful protests, but added that if anyone starts "tearing up Clay County, that is not going to be acceptable."

"If we can't handle you, I'll exercise the power and authority as the sheriff and I'll make special deputies of every lawful gun owner in the county and I'll deputize them to this one purpose: to stand in the gap between lawlessness and civility," said Daniels, sporting a white cowboy hat as he stood in front of 18 deputies.

Daniels, who is African American, said in the video that his department has a "great relationship" with its residents, but "if you come to Clay County and think for one second we'll bend our backs for you, you're sadly mistaken."

"The second you step out from up under the protection of the Constitution, we'll be waiting on you and give you everything you want: all the publicity, all the pain, all the glamour and glory for all that five minutes will give you."

Daniels, a Republican finishing his first term, is being challenged by six opponents in the upcoming election. He is under investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement after his former employer, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, announced last year that he'd had an affair with a co-worker when he was running its jails. Daniels, who is married, was accused of later having the woman falsely arrested. He issued an apology, but said he wouldn't discuss specifics.

16 hours ago, Marshall said:

Florida sheriff: I'll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt

Each rung in the ladder is another step up the stupid tree.... every bit as foolish as the nonsense that created it.

I often wonder if people really want what they seem to asking for, nothing in my experience suggests that they do. I have never seen hate triumph over hate and I've never seen the slightest bit of good come from tribalism. People who embark on these exercises (like the shootout in YHZ yesterday) should have to pick which model of wheel chair they want before the first bullet flies. Way to much TV being watched, Free Fire Zones aren't safe spaces, getting triggered can actually hurt.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Florida sheriff: "I'll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt."

Well, might not be the best idea but certainly isn't the worst.  If I had to choose between a violent mob of protestors or deputizing licenced gun-owners I'd choose the later.

Reminds me of this question;  where is a safer place to take your family - to a gun show or to the waterfront to watch the fireworks?  To the gun show of course - virtually everyone there has had a criminal record check within the last 24 hours, has been trained in safe firearms handling and has something to lose by breaking any law.  At the waterfront, OTOH, there's a high likelihood of unlicenced people on parole carrying illegal firearms and/or knives, tasers, knuckles - gangs and criminals like fireworks too.  A friend who's spouse is a municipal police officer says there's always - always - stabbings, fights and violence at the fireworks and sometimes shootings.

49 minutes ago, seeker said:

If I had to choose between a violent mob of protestors or deputizing licenced gun-owners I'd choose the later.

Choices are a function of rationally weighing the individual merits of competing options. Whether by circumstance or foolishness, placing your back to the sea in the face of superior forces is no wiser than limiting the options to violent mobs vs deputized gun owners whilst hurtling through space on a planet populated by "defund the police zealots." 

In volatile, emotionally charged confrontations, the line between these two groups is a bit blurry IMO. With each passing day I think I need to move further into the bush.

Edited by Wolfhunter

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

In volatile, emotionally charged confrontations, the line between these two groups is a bit blurry IMO. 

Is it?  What about the St. Louis situation with the lawyer and his wife?  They maintained their cool and the protestors backed off/left.  Deputize a bunch of good 'ol boys and let them loose on the streets, well, you're gonna have problems.  Deputize responsible firearms owners known to the community with instructions about where/when/how to be of service, maybe, not so many problems.

Edited by seeker

I'm rooting for you. 

As to the lawyer, the way he was waving that rifle around I was afraid he'd shoot his wife and she had her finger inside the guard the entire time.... you never know how people will react to situations like this and finding out on the fly isn't a great idea IMO.

If I had to choose though, I'd opt for your deputies over the crazed mob,  I just don't want to be in a position to make that choice (which was really my point). Being there means you mishandled the entire affair, a bit like having to use airbrake below 10,000 feet. I just don't like the trajectory here and I feel bad for those folks thrust into the middle of it through no fault of their own. They're attacked by their neighbours and abandoned (at all levels) by the very people sworn to protect them.... it sounds like a bloody UN mission (and what could possibly ever go wrong with those eh?).

What I find most shocking though is the apparent appetite (almost glee like) for upping the ante with spiralling violence, this is how you get to Crazy Island. The people lined up on both sides of the barricade (mob and good ol boys) both want to be there, that's not good IMO. How many simple protests against violence turn violent, and I mean ugly violent. It seems people can't even hold a non violent protest against violence without resorting to violence.

I would consider armed deputies as volatile as the armed militias they would likely encounter in any opposed scenario. Thinking it wouldn't end up being urban warfare between armed militias requires more optimism than I can muster. Good intentions never (or rarely) survive first contact.

Essentially, it's academic anyway, I'll bet right now that no Sheriff in any jurisdiction would ever be allowed to do that, it's all bluster and posturing IMO. Using the Army against citizens is never a good option but it would be exercised long before armed citizen deputies would be thrown into the breech.  

Edited by Wolfhunter

Wolfhunter;

I agree with everything you've posted.  Regarding the lawyers; yes, she had her trigger finger on the trigger and the husband had poor control of his rifle but even so, no accidental discharge.  Yes, poor firearm discipline but still no adverse outcome.  I stand by my assertion that, if I had to choose, I'd choose the option of armed (trained) civilians over violent, uncontrolled mob.

Who do I want "controlling" the city?  Police first, military second, armed civilians third, violent mob last.  The police have been de-fanged, the military has not been called - what's left?  If our choice is deputized civilians or mob, I know who I'd choose.  Not the best choice but the best of what's available.

I know the Mayor of Seattle finally grew a backbone. 

Seattle police forcibly clear ‘lawless’ protest zone

BY MARTHA BELLISLE AND LISA BAUMANN ASSOCIATED PRESS

JULY 01, 2020 07:52 PM

Seattle Police, at right, look on as Department of Transportation workers remove barricades at the intersection of 10th Ave. and Pine St., Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at the CHOP (Capitol Hill Occupied Protest) zone in Seattle. Protesters quickly moved couches, trash cans and other materials in to replace the cleared barricades. The area has been occupied by protesters since Seattle Police pulled back from their East Precinct building following violent clashes with demonstrators earlier in the month. TED S. WARREN AP

SEATTLE

Wearing helmets and wielding batons and rifles, Seattle police turned out in force at dawn Wednesday in the city’s “occupied” protest zone after the mayor ordered it cleared following two recent fatal shootings.

Officers stood shoulder-to-shoulder on several streets while others created a makeshift fence with their bicycles, using it to push dozens of protesters back away from the center of the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest” zone just east of downtown. The group had occupied several blocks around a park for about two weeks after police abandoned a precinct station following standoffs and clashes that were part of the nationwide unrest over the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

As residents in the neighborhood watched from balconies, police cleared out the protesters’ tents from the park and made sure no one was left in the park’s bathrooms.

More than three dozen people were arrested, charged with failure to disperse, obstruction, assault and unlawful weapon possession.

“Our job is to support peaceful demonstration but what has happened on these streets over the last two weeks is lawless and it’s brutal and bottom line it is simply unacceptable,” Police Chief Carmen Best said.

One protest organizer, Derrek Allen Jones II, said some demonstrators attempted to stay but were surprised by the early intervention by officers who were “trampling everything I seen in sight, flipping tables.”

Breaking news & more

Sign up for one of our many newsletters to be the first to know when big news breaks

“People were trying to hold their ground but you could see the cops literally storm through people’s beds while they were sleeping. And literally say ‘If you don’t get out, we will force you out or arrest you,'" he said.

One man dressed in black was peacefully led away in handcuffs and other demonstrators sat on the wet ground until their small group was handcuffed and detained.

Police also tore down fences that protesters had erected around their tents and used batons to poke inside bushes, apparently looking for people who might be hiding. One officer took down a sign saying “We are not leaving until our demands are met: 1. Defund SPD by 50% now. 2. Fund Black Communities. 3. Free all protesters."

After police evicted the protesters, heavy equipment was used to remove concrete barriers, cart away debris from the encampments while officers strung yellow caution tape from tree to tree warning people not to reenter.

’I was just stunned by the amount of graffiti, garbage and property destruction,” Best said after she walked around the area.

“The recent public safety threats have been well documented," Mayor Jenny Durkan said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. ”These acts of gun violence resulted in the tragic deaths of two teenagers, with multiple others seriously wounded. Despite continued efforts to deescalate and bring community together, this violence demanded action."

Durkan also said while she supported the police in making arrests Wednesday, she doesn't think many of those arrested for misdemeanors should be prosecuted. She also said she was committed to work that would dismantle systemic racism and build true community safety.

“Events in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone this morning, while necessary, should not diminish the cause of racial justice,” Gov. Jay Inslee said in an emailed statement.

Best said in addition to the fatal shootings, robberies, assaults, violence and property crimes have occurred in the area in the last few weeks. She said she wanted police to move back into the precinct so officers could better respond to needs in the area. Protesters have said they should not be blamed for the violence in the area.

There had been mounting calls by critics, including President Donald Trump, to remove protesters. A group of local business owners sued the city, claiming that officials abandoned the area and made it impossible to run businesses because there was no police or fire protection.

U.S. Attorney General William Barr praised Best for what he called “her courage and leadership in restoring the rule of law in Seattle.”

“Chief Best has rightly committed to continue the substantive discussion while ending the violence, which threatens innocent people and undermines the very rule-of-law principles that the protesters profess to defend," he said in a statement.

Seattle Black Collective Voice, which was formed by people in the protest zone, said previously that their work would continue even if they were forced out of that area. On Wednesday afternoon the group said via Twitter, “We don’t end with CHOP.”

true
true
true
1 of 22

Protesters stand on barricades a block away as Seattle Department of Transportation workers remove other barricades at the intersection of 10th Ave. and Pine St., Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at the CHOP (Capitol Hill Occupied Protest) zone in Seattle. Protesters quickly moved couches, trash cans and other materials in to replace the cleared barricades. The area has been occupied by protesters since Seattle Police pulled back from their East Precinct building following violent clashes with demonstrators earlier in the month. TED S. WARREN AP

14 hours ago, seeker said:

The police have been de-fanged, the military has not been called - what's left?

I think we likely agree with the notion that at that point, the options become limited and the threat of anarchy, at the local level, becomes more likely as the vacuum gets filled by militias.

Actually, I find myself at a bit of a loss, if there is a plan here somewhere I simply don’t see it. These are outcomes that should be feared and avoided… it should be a line in the sand, that which you don't allow to happen, it's when you need governments and strong leadership the most,  and when you rely the heaviest on police and military forces that can act in aid to civil power operations. The alternative is anarchy. It's still pretty contained but the risk of a "wag the dog" incident, some atrocity that galvanizes the resolve of one side shouldn't be underestimated. There are elements on both sides of this happy to create martyrs in the pursuit of an accelerant.  

Consider the notion that you (we and them) are left with two armed militia groups, one being the rebels (radicals and revolutionaries) and one defending the status quo that they hold dear. This is an old movie played over and over with different actors in different countries, the plot is tedious and the ending predictable…. it always gets two thumbs down. I have never understood the motivation behind eagerly filling the theatre but that always seems to be the way of it and it's the difference between peace making and peace keeping.

Edited by Wolfhunter

The whole defund movement just leave it wide open for bull **bleep** vandalism like the following.  I hope they catch the perps and apply the full punishment under our laws. But perhaps we should just spray paint them and lock them into a pillory for a period of time and see how they are treated by their peers without of course any protection police or otherwise.

Statues honouring Calgary police and firefighters vandalized

Monuments located within the Municipal Building plaza courtyard

Joel Dryden · CBC News · Posted: Jul 03, 2020 3:22 PM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

calgary-fire-department.jpg
Two monuments to Calgary's police and fire departments were defaced. The vandals spray-painted each statue and added a sash that read 'birthday girl.' (Submitted/Jonathan Akin/Helen Pike/CBC)

Two statues dedicated to the city's police officers and firefighters at Calgary's city hall were vandalized sometime over the past 24 hours, though much of it had been cleaned up by Friday afternoon.

The statues of the officer and the firefighter had been spray-painted with multiple colours, and sashes with the words "birthday girl" were attached.

In a statement, Calgary police spokesperson Emma Poole called the vandalism a "disgusting act."

"This memorial honours those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to protect Calgarians," Poole said.

"Those who take issue with the Calgary Police Service should do so through meaningful dialogue and not deplorable acts of vandalism."

statues.jpg
A monument to Calgary police with the department's core values listed was defaced. (Submitted/Jonathan Akin)

Asked about the vandalism Friday at a press conference, Ward 5 Coun. George Chahal called the incident "unfortunate."

"If there are concerns for members of the public, let's have a conversation about it. But we should not be vandalising or damaging anybody's property," he said. "That's unacceptable."

With files from Helen Pike and Elise von Scheel

Activists in the U.S. claim partial victory in long battle to reform, defund police departments

Budget fights in New York and cities across the country bring gains, disappointments

steven-d-souza.jpg
Steven D'Souza · CBC News · Posted: Jul 05, 2020 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

minneapolis-police-new-york.JPG
Protesters in Manhattan call for the defunding of the New York Police Department in the 'City Hall Autonomous Zone' on June 30, in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. (Carlo Allegri/Reuters)

For the thousands of protesters who marched through the streets of New York for more than 30 consecutive days demanding changes in policing, the headlines emerging from the city's budget debate should have signalled victory.

"New York Police Department's budget has been slashed by $1 billion," wrote CNN.

"De Blasio Agrees to Cut NYPD Funding by $1 Billion," said the Wall Street Journal.

"NY City Council approves slashing $1B from NYPD budget," said Fox News.

It seemed that groups like Communities United for Police Reform had achieved their goal when city council voted last week: a $1 billion US cut from the New York Police Department's almost $6 billion operating budget, with money reinvested in community programs.

But a closer look found that the actual number was nowhere close to the billion-dollar mark, and some of the "cuts" were just cosmetic changes, where expenses were shifted from one city department to another.

"It was a lot of funny math and budget tricks to try to make it seem like it was a billion-dollar cut, but it really wasn't," said Andrea Colon, lead organizer with the Rockaway Youth Task Force and a member of Communities United for Police Reform.

A court officer walks past a wall of graffiti across from a protest in support of defunding the police in New York last month. (Carlo Allegri/Reuters)

The city budget was the latest battle in the fight to reform policing spurred on by the death of George Floyd, a Minneapolis man who was killed after a police officer knelt on his neck during an arrest on May 25. The officer is facing a second-degree murder charge in Floyd's death.

Overall, activists and supporters of police reform found that while the conversation has shifted in their favour, there are still numerous challenges to defunding the police, even in one of the most liberal cities in the U.S.

Devil in the details

Among the biggest cuts promised was more than $300 million by shifting school safety officers from the NYPD to the Department of Education.

But ultimately that shift didn't happen, and the budget for that unit, still under the auspices of the police, will go up next year.

"The mayor, the speaker, the city council failed us," Colon said.

The waves of protests sparked by Floyd's death led to a number of reforms in New York and across the country. The NYPD disbanded its anti-crime unit, a group of about 600 officers tied to some of the city's most notorious shootings. 

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Wednesday, the day after the budget passed, that while he respects everyone who is protesting, the vast majority of New Yorkers want a safe city.

"They appreciate that our police are there to keep us safe and they want to see policing get fairer, more respectful," said the mayor, who is often caught between his progressive supporters and a vocal and politically powerful police union.

usa-election-democrats.JPG
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, pictured in September 2019, said that while he respects everyone who is calling for the city's police department to be defunded, the vast majority of New Yorkers want a safe city. (Gretchen Ertl/Reuters)

Asked about the cuts, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea told a local Fox affiliate, "You're seeing the city council bow to mob rule."

The budget did eliminate two incoming classes of new officers, a staff cut of close to 1,200 — a good step that probably wouldn't have come without the pressure of thousands marching daily, said Alex Vitale, author of the book The End of Policing.

"There was no way that was going to happen a month ago, so that's a very concrete thing, and it's a sign of a shift in momentum," said Vitale, whose book is considered by activists as a blueprint for the Defund the Police movement.

'A quantum shift'

Vitale, who has been advocating for police reform for three decades, said when you step back and look at the big picture, the progress in the debate since Floyd's death is remarkable. 

While the budget battle in New York didn't end in victory for reformers, he said, it's a step in the right direction.

"We did not win the big number that people were going for, but no one even imagined that big number a month ago as being possible," Vitale said.

He said across the country, in state assemblies and city council chambers, police budgets that were once untouchable are now fair game for cuts. The conversation has also shifted to rethinking how much responsibility police forces should have, he said. 

Vitale pointed to cities like Oakland, Calif., which voted to remove police from schools, and Los Angeles and San Francisco, which are considering alternatives to policing on issues like substance abuse, homelessness and mental health.

1223866773.jpg
Protesters hold up signs as they block a freeway in Los Angeles during a demonstration on July 1 organized by a group called Active Advocate calling for the defunding of police and the removal of District Attorney Jackie Lacey. (Valerie Macon/AFP via Getty Images)

Vitale's book has afforded him the opportunity to travel the country meeting with community organizations. He said he saw a consensus growing around police reform, but he thought it would take years to get to the point the U.S. is at now. 

"It's a quantum shift. The quantity of change is so great and it's of a different quality," Vitale said. "It's very dramatic, it's exhausting, it's inspiring, but there's just a tremendous amount of work still to be done."

Confronting racism

Part of the work that still needs to be done, said Alexis Hoag, a lecturer at Columbia Law School in New York, is reconciling the country's history of slavery and the legacy of institutional racism that remains today.

Hoag referred to training in Germany, where new officers learn about how policing played a role in the Nazi regime and how it informs their work in the modern era. She said she'd like to see similar training for new officers in how police throughout U.S. history were used to enforce racist policies.

"I think about how powerful that would be if new law enforcement in this country were educated and trained about law enforcement's participation, compliance in the reign of terror that occurred across this country," Hoag said.

She said the mass demonstrations have achieved some victories, particularly at the state-level, and pointed to the repeal of 50-A in New York, a law that shielded officers' personnel records from scrutiny.

Another victory came in Colorado last month, when it became one of the first states to end qualified immunity for officers, a law that protects police from civil liability. 

"The fact that laypeople talk about qualified immunity is amazing to me as a lawyer," Hoag said. 

A growing conversation

Hoag said that shows how far the conversation has shifted, noting that concepts like defunding the police weren't even in her vocabulary when she got into law school 15 years ago.

Now, she said, the students she sees entering law school come armed with these ideas.

"They are quite aggressive and clear in what they see as a just society," Hoag said, "It's exciting, it's heartening, and they're going to be in positions where they're setting state and federal policy in 10 or 15 years. 

Demonstrations to defund the police took place across the U.S., including this one in New York last month, after the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer on May 25. (Carlo Allegri/Reuters)

Vitale said there is also energy at the community level, where the majority of change needs to happen. Demand for his expertise has grown, and where he used to take part in 40 to 50 events a year with community groups discussing police reform, he can now do that many in the space of two or three weeks, thanks to video conferencing. 

One day last week, he addressed groups in Houston, Ann Arbor, Mich., and New York City. He said with municipal budget cycles coming to an end, the effort put toward cutting police budgets needs to shift to organizing.

"We've got some victories and now we need to take stock and plan for the future," Vitale said.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Among the biggest cuts promised was more than $300 million by shifting school safety officers from the NYPD to the Department of Education.

As has been proven in Alberta and Canada the Lefties believe that "Budgets balance themselves" so it is no surprise that 'progressives' can be led to believe that a budget change actually did something. 

When it comes to knowing what you don't want, there is no substitute for hands on experience. I've vacationed on 5 continents and have never seen hateful actions, fear, intimidation, manifestly stupid memes or sarcastic videos (intended to ridicule political opponents) triumph over hate. Nor Have I ever seen a single good thing come out of tribalism.... I have seen it enflame the situation though.

Democratic and media support of this organization will come at a cost, it already is costly. Narrowing the choices down to Trump and Biden pretty much says it all IMO.

Demonrats remain utterly incapable of anticipating worst case scenarios and have no respect for the law of unintended consequence. What started as good tactical use of terrain has been overplayed to the point of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Go to Youtube and type in "idiots with chainsaws."  If you find yourself shouting "no, don't do it," then this is that. There is only one question to be asked, WDYTWGTH.

Atlanta mayor calls for citizens to stop 'shooting each other' after murder of 8-year-old near BLM protest site

"We're doing each other more harm than any officer on this force."

Edited by Wolfhunter

New York sheriff on violent crime spikes in NYC: 'We're starting to lose control'

As shootings in New York City were up 130 percent in June, the Suffolk County sheriff says bail reform, NY judges may be to blame for uptick in violence

Sheriff Toulon: Once we relinquish authority to criminals, 'we're going to have chaos in our streets'

As New York City sees an uptick in violent crime and shootings, Suffolk County Sheriff Errol Toulon tells Fox News Digital that law enforcement is beginning to lose control in their city.

In New York City there was a 130 percent increase in shootings for the month of June-- up from 89 shootings last year to 205 this year. And just this past July 4th weekend New York City saw 21 shootings that left 44 people shot and 8 people killed.

Suffolk County Sheriff Errol Toulon says these appalling statistics should be taken as a warning that New York City law enforcement is starting to "lose control."

"When you see the vandalism in all our own communities when you see the assaults, you see Molotov cocktails being thrown at law enforcement vehicles, you have to start to realize that, we're starting to lose control. And once we start to lose control, we're not losing control to peaceful protesters, these are criminals," Toulon told Fox News. "And so once we start to relinquish authority to them, we're going to have chaos in our streets.”

Toulon says there are multiple reasons behind the increased crime and violence in New York City -- one being bail reform. According to Michael LiPetri, the chief of Crime Control Strategies, 3,000 people who were released under bail reform and from Rikers committed “9,000 serious crimes in New York City.”

NEW YORK CITY VIOLENCE: 8 KILLED DURING FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND

Many law enforcement officials believe bail reform laws in New York City have made it easier for individuals to be released and are emboldening criminals to commit offenses without any consequences. Sheriff Toulon agrees, but also says people should start looking at New York judges for some answers.

“We should hold the judges accountable and make them explain why individuals are obtaining bail [and] if there are particular groups that seem to be targeted by a particular judge," said Toulon. “That's where I believe that we should be focusing our attention on not changing laws or giving individuals the opportunity to return back.”

Former police commissioner Ray Kelly said on Fox News that bail reform could be changed "very easily just by giving judges the discretion to keep people in custody who are a danger to society."

"Virtually every state in the United States has that privilege except for New York, and the New York State Legislature will not do it," he said.

NYPD TOP COP PEGS UPTICK IN RECENT VIOLENCE TO RIKERS INMATES RELEASED

With the country growing more and more divided, many Americans are wondering what it will take to bring people together.

"American citizens are battling each other -- almost like it's becoming a civil war --  and at some point, something has to break so we will start to come together," Toulon said.

Attorney General calls for NYPD shake-up in wake of police protest response

"Too many New Yorkers no longer trust the police to do their jobs effectively and fairly," the report states.

Fox News Flash top headlines for July 8

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

New York Attorney General Letitia James released a preliminary report regarding her office’s ongoing investigation into the NYPD’s response to last month’s protests, highlighting disparities between its treatment of White people and communities of color, and calling for a change-up of the department’s command structure, more diversity among leadership and the “redesign” of police’s role in society.

James released her office’s “Preliminary Report in Ongoing Investigation into NYPD Response to Recent Protests,” in a tweet on Wednesday afternoon, writing, “it is impossible to deny that many New Yorkers have lost faith in law enforcement.”

The report states that the office’s investigation is still ongoing, but "it is clear that too many New Yorkers no longer trust the police to do their jobs effectively and fairly."

In the 57-page document, the office calls for the creation of an "entirely new accountability structure" guided in part by a commission of public and elected officials, including the mayor, members of the City Council and the city comptroller.

NYPD'S OWN STATS DEBUNK CLAIMS OF BAIL REFORM LEADING TO SPIKE IN GUN VIOLENCE

The report also urges the city to legalize or decriminalize more minor, “quality of life” offenses, saying many “are already not greatly enforced in predominately white neighborhoods"

Doing so, the report states, would decrease “unnecessary contact with police and the criminal justice system.”

“In particular, laws with a history of alleged disparate and discriminatory enforcement, such as bicycle operation on the sidewalk, 'jaywalking,'  loitering, and fare evasion, should be repealed or removed from police enforcement,” the report states. “Other offenses that represent a disproportionate number of New York’s total criminal summons, including marijuana possession, disorderly conduct, alcohol consumption, and trespassing, should also be examined.”

The report also urges people to stop relying on police in certain instances, such as traffic enforcement, school safety, homeless outreach and crisis intervention, and states that “everything must be on the table.”

FORMER NYPD COMMISSIONER WARNS NYC IS 'GOING TO BE A MUCH MORE DANGEROUS CITY'

“Research shows that police use of force rates resulting from traffic stops are highest against Black and Latino men. White and Latina women report experiencing use of force by police at about the same rate, but the rate of force experienced by Black women during traffic stops is much higher, about the same as white men,” the report states. “Armed police officers are not needed for traffic enforcement, particularly when the underlying conduct in question is not criminal, such as a broken tail light, speeding, or not wearing a seatbelt.”

NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner of Public Information Richard Esposito responded to the report in a statement emailed to FOX Business, writing, “This is of course a political and not an investigative document.”

“Rather than rehash rhetoric we should come together — state and local law enforcement and electeds—and confront and solve the crisis at hand,” Esposito said. “Meanwhile, we at the NYPD will continue to protect and serve the public as we have for 175 years.”

Protesters are arrested by NYPD officers for violating curfew beside the iconic Plaza Hotel on 59th Street, Wednesday, June 3, 2020, in the Manhattan borough of New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Protesters are arrested by NYPD officers for violating curfew beside the iconic Plaza Hotel on 59th Street, Wednesday, June 3, 2020, in the Manhattan borough of New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

James, a Democrat, is investigating allegations that officers used excessive force to quell unrest and enforce a citywide curfew. Multiple clashes caught on video showed police vehicles ramming a crowd, an officer pulling down a man’s mask and pepper spraying him in the face, officers striking protesters with batons and an officer violently shoving a woman, causing her to hit the back of her head on the pavement.

Protests erupted in hundreds of cities nationwide in the wake of the May 25 death of George Floyd, a black man who was killed after Derek Chauvin, a white Minneapolis police officer, kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes -- despite Floyd saying 17 times that he couldn’t breathe.

Racial tensions were running high before Floyd's death, after two White men were arrested in May in the February shooting death of Black jogger Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia, and after Louisville, Kentucky, police shot Breonna Taylor, a Black emergency medical technician, to death in March after executing a no-knock search warrant.

MORALE AMONG POLICE OFFICERS IS PLUMMETING AS PROTESTS, CALLS FOR DEFUNDING PERSIST, ADVOCATES SAY

Although most of the protests were peaceful, in some areas there was violence. Public and elected officials have said in some cases there were organized riots and that some opportunists used the diverted police attention as a chance to commit crimes, such as looting stores.

The Office of the Attorney General’s report highlights disparities amongst White people and communities of color during, and as a result of, the novel coronavirus pandemic, to serve as a “backdrop” against which the protests  occurred.

Protesters march Saturday, June 6, 2020, in New York. Demonstrations continue across the United States in protest of racism and police brutality, sparked by the May 25 death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Ragan Clark)

Protesters march Saturday, June 6, 2020, in New York. Demonstrations continue across the United States in protest of racism and police brutality, sparked by the May 25 death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Ragan Clark)

“These protests occurred as the country was grappling with the dangerous threat posed by the COVID-19 virus and its devastating and disproportionate impact on communities of color,” the reports state. “They were triggered not only by the deaths of Floyd, Taylor, and countless others before them, but by the harm communities of color continue to face as a result of systemic and institutionalized racism.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Between May 28 and June 7, the NYPD made 2,087 arrests citywide, according to the report. Of the individuals arrested, 927 were White, 808 were Black, 272 were Latino, 59 were Asian and 21 fell under the “other” category.

The office also called for increased transparency, accountability and oversight and for the creation of a codified "use of force standard with real legal consequences."

The Associated Press contribute

I am convinced that the US does no longer respect the rule of law.

I would no longer consider anywhere in the US to be a safe place to visit for leisure reasons and , for work reasons, will limit myself to staying in the hotel.   Certainly would not visit normal tourist locations.

Edited by seeker

Texas sheriffs refuse to enforce governor's mask mandate despite surge in coronavirus cases

Sheriff pointed out the 'hypocrisy' in asking police to enforce mandate weeks after mass gatherings of protesters

Texas hospitals overwhelmed as coronavirus cases surge

Emergency physician Dr. Diana Fite speaks out.

Several Texas sheriff’s offices and police departments have refused to enforce the governor’s recent executive order requiring face masks in public despite an increase in coronavirus hospitalizations and the statewide confirmed infection count nearing 230,000 as of Thursday.

Denton County Sheriff Tracy Murphree, in particular, pointed out the “hypocrisy” in asking police to enforce a mask mandate weeks after many officials failed to condemn mass gatherings of protesters who took to the streets after the death of George Floyd, many of whom called to “F the police.”

Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican who previously eased lockdown measures, issued an executive order last week requiring everyone in counties with 20 or more coronavirus cases wear a facial covering in public. The order said law enforcement cannot detain, arrest or confine anyone who does not wear a mask but can issue fines of up to $250 if someone first ignores a verbal or written warning.

CONFIRMED CORONAVIRUS CASES IN THE US TOP 3 MILLION

The mandate also gave local authorities discretion to limit gatherings to 10 or more people.

Law enforcement officials in at least nine counties – including Denton, Houston, Montgomery, Gillespie, Upshur, Kerr, Gregg, Nacogdoches and Panola – have since said they will not issue verbal or written citations for those who do not comply with the mask mandate.

Some officials cited a lack of staffing, while others argued the language of the executive order either make it difficult to police or infringed on constitutional rights.

A week ago they were carrying signs that said F the police, and demanding police be defunded. They were ignoring the Denton curfew order and blocked city streets. Now those same people are mad at me for refusing to enforce the mask mandate issued by the Governor. Their hypocrisy is mind-blowing,” Murphree wrote in a lengthy Facebook post on Friday explaining her frustration.

He said the order is not a law and its language has “no requirement that any police officer enforce it, and it’s unenforceable.”

“We can’t spend our time running from place to place for calls about mask we can really do nothing about,” the sheriff continued. “Like I said I will comply because I want to comply. I won’t and I don’t believe I can take any enforcement action on this order. I do believe I have sworn to uphold the constitution and I will do so.”

Houston Police Officers' Union President Joe Gamaldi said on Twitter that “While we in law enforcement are desperately trying to build trust w/our community and are spread incredibly thin with the huge rise in violent crime, we are now [expected] to enforce yet another draconian mask law.

“Everyone needs to wear a mask, but don’t put us in this position,” he said.

The Upshur County Sheriff's Office and the Gillespie County Sheriff's Office both have said they will not be enforcing the governor’s executive order and will not require deputies to wear masks on duty.

“In light of recent allegations in the nation of misconduct on the part of law enforcement, the Sheriff will not restrict the deputy’s ability to clearly communicate intentions when in contact with citizens,” the Gillespie County Sheriff's Office wrote on Facebook. “The Sheriff’s Office will not prohibit a deputy from wearing a face mask if they so choose."

Nacogdoches County Sheriff Jason Bridges said on Facebook Live that his deputies would not be enforcing the mask mandate or limit on gatherings because Abbott's recent initiatives are "borderline infringing on those Constitutional rights."

Kerr County Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer said officers will be required to wear masks but will not issue citations to members of the public who leave the house without a face covering.

“Don’t get me wrong. I believe this virus is real and I believe face masks can help stop the spread,” Hierholzer told the Hill Country Community Journal. “My officers will be wearing face masks. We will try to educate the public on the importance of wearing them, but if Governor Abbott wants citations issued, he needs to use state officers to do so. He has more officers at his disposal than I will ever have.”

In a follow-up Facebook post on Sunday, Hierholzer explained that many sheriff departments are refusing to enforce Abbott’s executive order because it states “no law enforcement or other official may DETAIN, arrest or confine,” an individual for not wearing a mask.

TEXAS REPUBLICANS' IN-PERSON HOUSTON CONVENTION CANCELED OVER CORONAVIRUS 

“I along with others have an issue with this because the courts have longed defined the word detain as follows: Detain generally means to prevent from proceeding; to restrict freedom of movement. In criminal law, detain means to hold a person in custody, often for purposes of questioning,” he said. “How can we stop and talk to or write a citation or even give a verbal warning, WITHOUT detaining.”

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release Friday it will take “NO action” to enforce the governor’s executive order because of its “specific language prohibiting law enforcement from detaining, arresting or confining to jail."

“This laguage strips law enforcement of the necessary tools to enforce compliance with the law,” and “could subject our agency, and Montgomery County as a whole, to civil liability,” the press release said.

Citing a lack of staff to track warnings and citations, the Panola County Texas Sheriff's Office said on Monday that though it “strongly” recommends wearing masks in public, compliance with the executive order will be “voluntary.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Abbott on Monday criticized local leaders for failing to enforce the mask order that he said was issued based on the advice of doctors to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

“All of those local officials who are asking Texas to shut back down — they've absolutely refused to enforce the current executive orders that are already in place," he told KFDM.  "What they need to show is action, not absenteeism. They need to show up, enforce the law as it is, before they're given any further authority. They ask for more and more, but they do absolutely nothing."

You can't fix stupid...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-reports-record-98-COVID-19-deaths-15395307.php

Deaths continue to rise as Texas reports record 112 fatalities from COVID-19

Deaths from the coronavirus continued to mount Wednesday, as Texas reported a record 112 confirmed fatalities, according to a data analysis and reporting by Hearst Newspapers.

The state also recorded nearly 10,000 new cases, a milestone few states have reached during the pandemic, and one that Texas first shattered Tuesday when it reported 10,400 new cases. The increase was partially expected because of delays in reporting over the holiday weekend, but it still underscores a growing crisis.

I'm guessing these are the same experts who have determined that viruses don't spread in airplanes or during massive protests.  Yup, it's a puzzle alright...

How did absurdity become so common place?

Still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic and protests over the George Floyd killing, cities around the nation are facing another challenge: a surge in shootings that has left dozens dead. Experts say the spike in violence defies easy explanation”