• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on now Jaydee, be nice.  The worst thing of all is to surround yourself with people who think exactly the same as you - you're guaranteed to never grow.  Are you completely right in everything yo

Hey Mitch; I have to ask; what is your reason for posting this?  Do black lives matter?  Of course they do but the phrase/slogan "Black Lives Matter! is a political statement intended to either;

Yep. Black lives matter. That phrase is used (by me and, as I understand it, by most others) because it's black people who are being discriminated against, systemically, in such a manner that their ve

Posted Images

Protests in Kenosha erupt for 3rd night, gunshot deaths; Lawyer says Jacob Blake is paralyzed

BREAKING: Kenosha Police say 3 people were shot, 2 fatally, during protests. 

Police fired tear gas to disperse protesters and gunshots were heard in one location during a third night of unrest in Kenosha, Wisconsin following the shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man whose attorney said he was paralyzed when he was shot multiple times by police.

Several gunshots could be heard in social media posts from at least one neighborhood where residents and people carrying long guns and other weapons remained in the streets hours after they city's 8 p.m. curfew. Kenosha Police were investigating after videos appeared to show at least two people with gunshot wounds.

Earlier, speaking alongside Blake family members, their lawyer said the 29-year-old was in surgery after being shot on Sunday night multiple times and it would “take a miracle” for him to walk again.

“They shot my son seven times, seven times, like he didn’t matter,” said Blake’s father.

Another family attorney said they would be filing a civil lawsuit against the police department over the shooting. Police have said little about what happened, other than that they were responding to a domestic dispute. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is investigating.

Video: Protests, tear gas and rubber bullets outside Kenosha courthouse.

Portland Protests: Police have declared an unlawful assembly outside City Hall as protests over racial injustice persist. Authorities ordered the crowd to disperse last night. Officials said that late Monday, night protesters repeatedly set fire to a police union headquarters building and were repelled by officers spraying tear gas. 

Other Communities: The reckoning against racial injustice sparked by the death of George Floyd has reinvigorated Native Americans, Asian Americans, Latinos and other people of color to fight back against the racism and discrimination they also have experienced for decades, report Felicia Fonseca, Deepti Hajela and Janie Har.

Competing economic interests, whitewashed American history classes and a lack of knowledge about other groups have traditionally made it difficult for people of color to unite. But that might be changing, with a younger, savvier generation that is more aware of racial dynamics and the shared history of discrimination.

“A man -- who witnesses described as being part of a vigilante militia group -- with a long gun brazenly walked down a street in Kenosha, Wisconsin Tuesday night and began firing his weapon at people protesting the police shooting of Jacob Blake, killing 2, and incredibly walking right past a swarm of cops who let him go into the night.

That's when the white vigilante appears on video with his gun. ***He reportedly had already shot someone in the stomach several blocks away, and he was being chased by protesters who were trying to subdue him.***

The vigilante falls to the ground as he's being chased and then begins unloading his weapon, striking and killing 2 people.

And, then the unthinkable happens. As police swarm the area in patrol cars and fortified vehicles, the vigilante -- gun clearly visible around his chest -- put his hands up in the air. The police vehicles all pass him, as the crowd screams he's the shooter.
It's a stunning contrast ... the white vigilante posed a clear and present danger, even if cops didn't know he was the shooter, yet Jacob Blake, an unarmed black man, was shot in the back 7 times as he tried to get in his car. Jacob is now paralyzed from the waist down.”

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/26/kenosha-shooting-2-dead-1-injured-jacob-blake-protest-police-blm/

Next time you are in a situation where there is a domestic disturbance going on, and you’re the guy that has a complaint against him....when police arrive and tell you to stay put....will you ignore them and proceed to your vehicle while they have guns drawn on you???  

If you are a law enforcement officer, would you allow the individual to walk away from you, ignoring a direct command, to go to a vehicle and possibly retrieve a weapon so he could fire at you. 

What would you have done??  

No wonder police are using the acronym “FIDO”.

Tough call.....

During the incident, officers attempted to arrest Jacob S. Blake, age 29. Law enforcement deployed a taser to attempt to stop Mr. Blake, however the taser was not successful in stopping Mr. Blake. Mr. Blake walked around his vehicle, opened the driver’s side door, and leaned forward. While holding onto Mr. Blake’s shirt, Officer Rusten Sheskey fired his service weapon 7 times. Officer Sheskey fired the weapon into Mr. Blake’s back. No other officer fired their weapon. Kenosha Police Department does not have body cameras, therefore the officers were not wearing body cameras.

During the investigation following the initial incident, Mr. Blake admitted that he had a knife in his possession. DCI agents recovered a knife from the driver’s side floorboard of Mr. Blake’s vehicle. A search of the vehicle located no additional weapons.

https://www.wsaw.com/2020/08/26/doj-releases-new-information-on-moments-leading-up-to-jacob-blake-shooting/

So ...... should the officer have let him go to the car, retrieve a weapon (which may or may not have existed) wait for the first shot or stab wound, then returned fire, injuring or possibly killing Blake or worse, his kids in the car?

i am not saying the shooting was justified, but trying to give the benefit of doubt.......if Blake would have complied initially, this wouldn’t have happened.

As I mentioned earlier, who in their right mind, would want to go into law enforcement these days? And the ones that are still there, will just say “f#$k, it..drive on”

North or south of the border,

Video from another angle shows the man in the green t-shirt standing there, on the phone. “I’ve just killed somebody,” he says into his phone, as he starts to move away.

Soon after, another video shows a crowd chasing the suspect down the street. “What did he do?” someone asks. “He shot someone!” someone else replies. The man appears to trip and fall. Two protesters run towards him, he sits up and shoots them both. One person lies motionless in the street. “Medic!” someone in the crowd cries out.

The apparent shooter, meanwhile, was seen on video walking away from the scene — his AR-style rifle clearly visible, his hands above his head. But Kenosha police who were responding to the reports of gunfire showed no interest in arresting or even questioning the man.

Instead, they asked him for directions. “Is someone injured, straight ahead?” an officer asks him via loudspeaker.

“Get out of the road,” said another.

He even approached an idling police car, going up close to the window, but then appeared to change his mind and walked away.

Brent Ford, 24, a photographer, witnessed the entire scene. “He had his hands up and they told him to get out of there, even though everyone was yelling that he was the shooter,” Ford told VICE News. “The police didn’t seem to hear or care what the crowd was saying.”

The shooter has meanwhile been hailed as a “hero” by the far-right. “That boy is a patriot,” one person wrote on the imageboard 4chan. “Well he became a man today, that’s for sure,” another commented.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/xg8pxj/a-17-year-old-aspiring-cop-has-been-charged-with-murder-in-kenosha

On 8/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, st27 said:

Tough call.....

https://www.wsaw.com/2020/08/26/doj-releases-new-information-on-moments-leading-up-to-jacob-blake-shooting/

So ...... should the officer have let him go to the car, retrieve a weapon (which may or may not have existed) wait for the first shot, then returned fire, injuring or possibly killing Blake or worse, his kids in the car?

i am not saying the shooting was justified, but trying to give the benefit of doubt.......if Blake would have complied initially, this wouldn’t have happened.

As I mentioned earlier, who in their right mind, would want to go into law enforcement these days? And the ones that are still there, will just say “f#$k, it..drive on”

North or south of the border,

Police officer: Today, I will not answer the radio call. Your family is on their own.

Today, I will not answer the radio call that your boyfriend has come home drunk and is beating you again.                                  

Today, I will not answer the radio call that your 16 year old daughter, who is very responsible, is four hours late coming home from school.                                  

Today, I will not answer the radio call that your store has been robbed or your house has been burglarized.                                  

Today, I will not stop a drunk driver from killing someone. I will not catch a rapist or a murderer or a car thief.                                  

Today, I will not answer the radio call that a man has a gun or tried to abduct a child or that someone has been stabbed or has been in a terrible accident.                                 

Today, I will not save your child that you locked in a car or the child you were too busy to watch who went outside and fell into the swimming pool, but that I revived.                                  

No, today I will not do that.                                  

Why?                                  

Today, I was suspended from duty for doing my job, because the media, liberals, a community organizer, a lawyer who formally represented terrorists and is the US attorney general and a mayor who ran on an anti-police agenda, who are all advised by a drug dealer, liar and income tax cheat. AND, all who know nothing about Policing, have vilified my profession.                                  

Because —-                                  

Today, I was killed by a drunk driver while I was helping push a disabled car off the highway.                                  

Today, I was shot and killed during a routine traffic stop to simply tell someone that they had a taillight out.                                  

Today, I was killed in a traffic accident rushing to help a citizen.                                  

Today, I was shot and killed serving a warrant on a known drug dealer.                                  

Today, I was killed by a man when I came by to do a welfare check because his family was too busy.                                  

Today, I was killed trying to stop a bank robbery or a grocery store robbery.                                  

Today I was killed doing my job.                                  

A chaplain and an officer will go to a house and tell a mom and dad or a wife or husband or a child that their son or daughter or husband or wife or father or mother won’t be coming home today.                                  

The flags at many police stations were flown at half-mast today but most people won’t know why.                                  

There will be a funeral and my fellow officers will come, a twenty-one-gun salute will be given, and taps and bagpipes will be played as I am laid to rest.                                  

My name will be put on a plaque, on a wall, in a building, in a city somewhere.                                  

A folded flag will be placed on a mantel or a bookcase in a home somewhere and a family will mourn.                                  

There will be no cries for justice.

There will be no riots in the streets.

There will be no officers marching, screaming ‘no justice, no peace.’

No citizens will scream that something must be done.

No windows will be smashed, no cars burned, no stones thrown, no names called.

Only someone crying themselves to sleep tonight will be the only sign that I was cared about.

I was a Police Officer 

-Anonymous

• Thanks 1

It appears from the news reports using the term "Hundreds" re the numbers in the protests aimed to defund the police, even in the large cities the response to this movement north of the 49th was at best lukewarm.  So perhaps it is time to stop assuming that what happens south of the 49th is not the same as here in Canada. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rallies-held-across-canada-to-spotlight-police-violence-demand-reform/ar-BB18veJq?ocid=msedgdhp

https://globalnews.ca/news/7305645/calgary-defund-the-police-protest-aug-29/

Rallies held across Canada to spotlight police violence, demand reform

:head:

BLM 'activists' Celebrated as Trump supporter was killed

It’s spine-chilling to hear activists in Portland cheering about the coldblooded murder of a Trump supporter Saturday night.

“I am not sad that a f-king fascist died tonight,” a woman shouts into a megaphone at a BLM-Antifa gathering after a man was shot dead nearby.

“He was a f–king Nazi. Our community held its own and took out the trash.”

Videos posted by independent journalists Andy Ngo and Ian Miles Cheong, shows an American flag being burned in celebration as the crowd revels in the news.

Online video appears to show the murder. You can hear a man’s voice: “We got a couple right here.” And then two shots ring out.

The victim, identified as Aaron Danielson, reportedly was wearing the cap of conservative-libertarian group Patriot Prayer, whose caravan of pickup trucks festooned with flags drove through the city that day.

But because he was a supporter of President Trump, the victim did not deserve to live, according to BLM-Antifa.

Such callous disregard for certain human lives is a hallmark of the violent protests that have been sanctioned in Democrat-run cities by weak mayors such as Portland’s Ted Wheeler.

Wheeler doesn’t seem to understand that the more he appeases the mob, the more they demand. These are not peaceful protests. They are organized anti-police riots, marked by arson and property destruction. Yet Wheeler never says a word of criticism for the thugs. He only tries to find ways of satisfying their absurd demands.

After presiding over three months of riots, Wheeler called a press conference Sunday, at which he touted his 19-point program to emasculate the police.

Instead of expressing condolences to the family of the dead man, vowing that the perpetrators would be brought to justice or saying he would finally accept a standing offer of help from President Trump, Wheeler chose to make a political campaign speech attacking Trump: “Now you want me to stop the violence that you helped create. What America needs is for you to be stopped.”

Wheeler must have received the panicked memo from Biden campaign HQ after polls in swing states started moving toward the president over law-and-order fears in middle America.

The Republican convention last week successfully pinned the riots in Democratic-run cities on Biden and his supporters.

When Vice President Mike Pence spoke out in defense of police and warned “you won’t be safe in Joe Biden’s America,” Fox News pollster Lee Carter said independents loved the message, and he scored it a B.

How the Democrats didn’t see the backlash coming illustrates just what a bubble they are in.

Now, after mentioning not one word about violence in their cities at the Democrat convention, they acknowledge it by trying to blame Trump.

Biden issued a statement Sunday, saying “we must not become a country that accepts the killing of fellow Americans who do not agree with you.”

He should direct that comment at the BLM-Antifa ghouls celebrating the Portland murder victim’s death.

“What does President Trump think will happen when he continues to insist on fanning the flames of hate and division in our society and using the politics of fear to whip up his supporters,” said Biden.

But it is not Trump who has been inciting violent riots and disempowering police, it is Democrats.

As polls in June showed Biden was picking up the support of young people amid anti-police protests, Sen. Kamala Harris, whom he later selected as his running mate, was gleeful when she told “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert that protesters “are not going to stop before Election Day . . . and they should not.”

Now the tide has turned, Biden has been vigorously slamming the rioting.

“I condemn this violence unequivocally,” he said Sunday.

But he is too frightened to condemn the people committing it — the BLM-Antifa thugs who are the militant wing of the Bernie Bros he inherited and whose votes he needs to win in November.

Instead of going along with their nihilistic attitude to law and order, why doesn’t he tell his party to stop rushing to judgment against the police every time a black man is shot?

For instance, Jacob Blake was shot seven times in the back by Kenosha police last weekend and may be paralyzed. After a week of rioting which culminated in the deaths of two protesters at the hands of a 17-year-old vigilante they were trying to attack, more facts have emerged.

Blake was armed with a knife, according to the Kenosha Professional Police Association, resisted arrest, and had placed one officer in a headlock. The police had been called by a woman who said he had violated a restraining order related to an earlier sexual assault at the home of his alleged victim.

Your moral compass is awry if this person is a hero.

The courts will determine if the police used excessive force, but we have seen police shot before when an offender is allowed to reach inside his car for a weapon. Once you resist arrest and start fighting police you are entering uncharted territory.

The unspoken demand of anti-police protests this summer is that cops not arrest anyone who resists. That will be the end of policing.

Democrats must be honest about what their pandering to BLM and antifa means. The ultimate endpoint of demonizing cops and valorizing violent offenders who resist arrest is there is no law and order.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/30/blm-activists-celebrated-as-trump-supporter-killed-devine/?utm_campaign=applenews&utm_medium=inline&utm_source=applenews

Edited by Jaydee

Exploiting a Woman’s Deadly Fall to Smear Toronto’s Police

A few years ago, when I did ride-alongs with Toronto-area police officers, I saw how much of their job involves dealing with mental-health and addiction issues. Most of the incidents these officers responded to were rooted in troubled households, and the protagonists typically were well-known to the arriving officers: an autistic adult son whose outbursts overwhelmed aging parents, a wife fearful of an alcoholic husband, an agitated elderly man who’d become convinced his neighbours were spying on him through his devices. Most of these incidents required therapists as much as (or more than) police officers. But since the threat of violence hovered over all of them, at least in theory, it was the police who got the call. As I wrote at the time, the officers mostly played the role of social workers with a badge.

The stereotype of police as violent, poorly trained hotheads is sometimes borne out on YouTube, which now functions as a highlight reel for every bad apple wearing a uniform. But the reality—at least in Canada, where I live—is that new officers are typically post-secondary graduates who spend a lot of their time in training sessions. In 2016, I sat in on one such session at a police headquarters facility west of Toronto, where officers attend seminars conducted by experts from within the community, and then go through elaborate small-group role-playing scenarios led by a trained corps of actors who specialize in mimicking various crisis states. As I reported in a magazine article, the facility features a mock-up house with different rooms, so officers can perform their exercises in realistic domestic environments. When each role-playing scenario was completed, the officers were critiqued and interviewed in front of the entire group. Then the actor herself would give her impressions about how the officers’ behaviour made her feel.

I thought about all this following the real-life case of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, the 29-year-old black woman who fell to her death from a Toronto apartment balcony in May while seeking to evade police officers. During one role-playing session I observed four years ago, an actor seeking to evade officers under similar circumstances ran into a bathroom and locked the door. For five minutes, the officers awkwardly tried to coax her out, meeting with eventual success. In the analysis segment that followed, the supervising officer explained that it once was common practice for officers in such situations to simply bash open the door. But this kind of technique fell out of fashion years ago, since it led to unnecessary trauma and risk (for the officers as much as the bathroom occupant).

Some of the other acted exercises I observed included a paranoid schizophrenic crouching under a kitchen table, babbling fearfully as officers tried to soothe him, and a homeless woman who threatened to hurt herself with a knife if officers approached. While holding them at bay from her perch on a living-room sofa, the actress recited a backstory: She had nothing to live for because child services had taken away her kid, her only reason for hope. When she finally put away the knife, the officers walked forward to escort her away—at which point the supervisor ended the exercise and admonished them: “Yes, she put away that knife,” he said. “But how do you know that’s the only weapon she’s got? When you focus on the object, you forget about the person.”

There was also a memorable exercise involving a male actor who was threatening to jump from a window—which presents another grim point of analogy to the Korchinski-Paquet case. It is a mark of this man’s acting skill that, years after I watched his morbid star turn, I still remember the details of his narrative: He was a musician, suffering from depression, who was stuck pursuing a dead-end part-time position with a local orchestra.

Critically, he wasn’t the only actor who was part of this particular exercise. An older woman played the role of his mother, who was screaming non-stop as the officers arrived. Two pairs of officers did the exercise in succession, and their approaches were very different. The first pair—two men who’d recently joined the force—both approached the man and took turns imploring him to step down from the window. But they could barely make themselves heard over the screaming of the actor playing the mother role. Then came the second pair of officers, middle-aged women who’d apparently worked together on the beat. One of the women spoke to the man, while the other officer gently guided the mother off into another room. This was correct practice, the instructor said: You can’t make any progress if you’re just going to become bystanders to an ongoing drama. In many cases, you need to separate the family members before you can help them.

It’s the same principle I saw (and wrote about) when I observed two veteran officers show up at the (very real) home of a young couple who’d been fighting. The man, plainly troubled in all sorts of ways, had punched a hole in the wall, and the woman was frightened. One of the first things that happened upon our arrival was that the female officer—Constable Jaime Peach, who still serves on the Peel Police—took the man downstairs and interviewed him in the lobby. The other officer, Winston Fullinfaw (who was promoted to staff sergeant around the time I rode with him), interviewed the woman and learned about her complicated family situation. Had there been more adults in the household, it’s possible that more officers would have been dispatched: When it comes to complicated domestic disputes, sometimes there is no substitute for manpower. A beleaguered lone officer sometimes may become more prone to violence, since he is more likely to lose control of a situation and feel threatened.

This is something we should think about amid claims that society would be more peaceful if we simply got rid of the police, or starved it of funding. We should also think about how such police forces would respond to funding cuts. Training programs would be one of the first things to face the chopping block. Would that make anyone safer?

On May 27th, the last day of Korchinski-Paquet’s life, a half-dozen Toronto Police Service officers and an EMS worker responded to a call from her family members, who’d told a 911 operator that there was a fight in their 24th-storey apartment. Because Ontario’s independent Special Investigations Unit (SIU) now has released its report on Korchinski-Paquet’s death, based on camera footage and numerous interviews, we know what happened next. As the Toronto Sun accurately reported back in early June, Korchinski-Paquet asked to take a bathroom break before accompanying the officers downtown for mental-health treatment. She then barricaded a door, went onto her balcony, and slipped while trying to step onto another balcony, falling 24 floors to her death. Initial reports from family—which suggested that officers had murdered the woman by deliberately pushing her off the balcony—were completely false.

To state the obvious, the death of Korchinski-Paquet is a tragedy. And it would have compounded the tragedy to learn that her death was a racist act of homicide. One might therefore imagine that it would provide Torontonians with at least some meager solace to learn that their police force had acquitted itself without fault, and in a way that reflected the progressive, non-violent methods that are taught in training programs. But in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd and the riots that followed, it has become a common claim among progressive media and politicians that Canada is every bit as racist as the United States. And in the absence of actual recent Canadian scenes of horror on par with the killing of Floyd, the case of Korchinski-Paquet has been cited as a substitute.

The Toronto Star, which never misses a chance to hustle racism claims to its readers, has run featureswith titles such as “Regis Korchinski-Paquet’s death and anti-Black violence in policing,” informing us “how systemic racism and anti-Black violence continues to play a huge role in Canada.” In a Star op-ed published in early June, opinion writer Noa Mendelsohn Aviv explicitly rejected the proposition that “in order to comment on Regis’s death, we must wait for the result of the Special Investigation Unit’s investigation because we do not yet have the facts and need to ascertain the truth.” (Even when this week’s report came out, the Star could not bear to abandon its anti-police posture, and so now is impugning the credibility of the SIU.) A Maclean’s writer described Korchinski-Paquet’s death as evidence that “Black lives” are “expendable.” The SIU investigation shows nothing of the kind, even if I doubt we will see any retractions.

Perhaps the most appalling response—because it comes from someone who purports to be seeking the job of Canadian prime minister—was from Jagmeet Singh, leader of Canada’s progressive New Democratic Party (NDP). On August 26th, after the SIU released its report, Singh blithely claimed that Regis Korchinski-Paquet “died because of police intervention. She needed help and her life was taken instead. The SIU’s decision brings no justice to the family and it won’t prevent this from happening again.” Singh offered no theory as to why the SIU report was wrong, but simply delivered a flat-out blood libel against the officers who’d tried to help Korchinski-Paquet on May 27th (and who are likely traumatized by what happened, as any normal person would be). To repeat: This isn’t some college activist or aggrieved family member. It is the leader of a national Canadian political party who holds the balance of power in Canada’s minority Parliament.

Singh is in some ways a special case, because his NDP, having strayed so far from the unionized blue-collar base on which it was founded, now has been reduced to little more than a social-media outpost catering to college hashtaggers. For weeks, in 2017, he spouted conspiracist nonsense about the 1985 bombing of Air India Flight 182, the worst terrorist attack in Canadian history. More recently, he casually denounced the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as a gang of bigots, and then was ejected from Parliament when he accused a fellow Parliamentarian of being racist because he didn’t go along with Singh’s slur. But though comprising an extreme example, Singh is hardly alone. Indeed, the presumption that all police are, by their nature, contaminated by racist malignancy, has become a casually recited starting point in debates about crime and policing.

In regard to the actual goal of reforming police methods—which is the thing that Singh and everyone else pretends to care about—it’s worth taking stock of the damage wrought by this irresponsible approach. About three Torontonians die every year during encounters with police, this in a city of three million people. That’s less than one-third the average annual tally for Minneapolis, a city that is one-seventh the size of Toronto. One might think that a 20-plus-fold difference in per-capita police-involved deaths might be seen as statistically significant, and be reasonably attributed to the massive investments in training and professionalism that I have personally witnessed in Canadian constabularies. If best practices in Toronto spread to American cities, lives truly could be saved. But instead, progressives such as Singh are far more interested in polluting Twitter with lazy lies and protest applause lines that erase any distinction between policing methods.
Information about the death of Korchinski-Paquet may be found on the website of Ontario’s SIU. And if there are lessons to be gleaned about how to better respond to potentially violent family crises, our leaders should implement them. But so far, police critics seem far more interested in exploiting this poor woman’s death to advance their own ideological bona fides and defame innocent police officers than with preventing future tragedies.

https://quillette.com/2020/08/30/exploiting-a-womans-deadly-fall-to-smear-torontos-police/

Vandalism is not protest

Protesters are not superior to the rules and temper of the democracy that allows protest in the first place

In Montreal over the weekend, about 200 vandals pulled down a statue of one of Canada’s founders, Sir John A. Macdonald. They were mainly referred to by the media as “protesters.” But the truth is that they were “protesters” until they put ropes around the statue, hauled it down and decapitated it. At that point, they became vandals. I think we can all agree on that.

It’s Monday morning as I torment the alphabet to discuss the implications of this incident, which is a clear instance of homegrown protesters trying to catch up with their American comrades, who have been far ahead of our guys in the iconoclastic department.

So far, we have not heard from the high-salaried NHL hockey players on where they stand on this protest. I think their voices need to be heard. After all, they eagerly entered into the discussion over this issue when they followed their even-better-paid big brothers in the NBA and the NFL by publicly supporting the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement in the United States.

Yet in taking their “stand,” they failed to mention whether they are fully in tune with BLM’s demands, in particular whether they support the abolishment of police forces, and whether they are in equal harmony with the dominant slogan of the moment, namely that, “All Cops Are Bastards.”

If their great stand has any real guts behind it, they should declare their position on these matters. They might even go so far as to tell their fans and countrymen what they think of the general mayhem consuming so many cities to the south.

They should, in other words, echo the refreshing level of clarity we received from Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante. In discussing Saturday’s distemper, she said, “I strongly condemn the acts of vandalism that took place this afternoon in downtown Montreal, which led to the John A. Macdonald statue being torn down. Such gestures cannot be accepted nor tolerated.”

She also showed off her gifts of clarity and open thought when she said that, “Some historical monuments, here as elsewhere, are at the heart of current emotional debates. I reiterate that it’s better to put them in context rather than remove them. I am also in favour of adding monuments that are more representative of the society to which we aspire.”

Another very Quebec voice, Martin Koskinen, displayed equal clarity when he declared that, “The statue needs to be restored. These acts of provocation cannot be tolerated in a democracy.” I owe to Terry Glavin’s Twitter diary that, “Koskinen is a senior official with the Coalition Avenir government in Quebec,” and is “not known for Anglo-Nationalism or delicate Upper Canada sensibilities.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, apparently keen not to let this little kerfuffle upset his weekend, waited until Monday to finally speak out against the vandalism. Until that time, the Liberals had largely been silent on the incident, save for Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault. From such a minister — particularly one from Quebec, which is relevant in this context — we have a right to expect a level of clarity equal to Plante or Koskinen, regardless of whether he is for or against the weekend disturbance.

Here is what the present-day guardian of Canada’s heritage had to say of the mauling of Macdonald’s memorial: “Our government has always stood with those who do not have a safe space to express themselves.” And what on our global-warming-threatened earth is that supposed to mean?

“Safe space”? That’s the jargon used by the campus SJW chapter. And if the “those” he’s referring to are the vandals, they certainly seemed to be in a “safe space” when they hauled the statue down, as the police stood idly by. And where in Canada is the “space” where people cannot express themselves? Perhaps only those spaces that are in close proximity to any of these protests.

The minister continued: “While the current debate is important, we believe that dialogue is a better engine for progress.” Is the “debate” he’s referring to (as it’s contrasted with “dialogue”) the actions of a crowd of the self-appointed righteous people destroying a public monument?

He did finally get to acknowledging the “isolated acts of vandalism, such as we are witnessing today,” which, until Monday, ammounted to the Liberal government’s full statement on the whole mess.

Here’s a couple of thoughts. If you do not like a representation of some historical Canadian figure, that does not entitle you, or your friends, to tear it down. Other Canadians may like it and want to see it stay, and those other Canadians are likely more numerous, and certainly have better manners.

Being a protester or activist is not a personal beatification. The views of protesters and activists are not, by any logic know to the human intellect, superior to the views of other people. Nor do those views release their holders from civic courtesy, the rule of law or any section of our statutes that prohibit the destruction of public property.

Finally, protesters are not superior to the rules and temper of the democracy that allows protest in the first place. Vandalism is not protest.

And, by the way, there was an ugly echo to the Montreal incident in Toronto on Sunday, when a statue of the Virgin Mary was decapitated by vandals at the Our Lady of Lebanon church. This incident goes to show that nothing is more contagious than tolerated disorder. Want further proof? Just look at what’s happening south of the border.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-vandalism-is-not-protest?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1mHhPG5w84bbYUgggEW2RUZz4ec9cRUYwBPkpH8ldf7Q5EOufn6H-wfEs#Echobox=1598955145

I agree that BLM as do all lives but senseless carnage must be punished to the full letter of the law.

Kenosha mayor seeking federal aid, $30M from state to help rebuild

President Trump heads to Kenosha Tuesday to check out the damage

Demonstrators demanding racial justice take to Kenosha streets

Fox News' Garrett Tenney reports from Kenosha, Wisconsin, as hundreds of people marched calling for justice for Jacob Blake as fears grow over President Trump's planned visit there on Tuesday.

Kenosha Mayor John Antaramian is asking for $30 million in state funding to help rebuild the Wisconsin city that's been torn apart by violence over the police shooting death of Jacob Blake.

Antaramian said Monday he asked Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers for the cash to rebuild businesses that have been on the destructive end of nighttime rioters.

"We are looking for $30 million to help us rebuild, to help us with the Uptown," he said during a hastily called press conference, in which the city purposefully sought to avoid national and international media outlets that have set up shop near the city's civic center to report on the violence. "This is to help with all the people that have been negatively impacted, that we end up getting them the help that they need to get back on their feet, and to enable us to do the things we need to do."

JACOB BLAKE UNREST IN KENOSHA: LIVE UPDATES ON PROTESTS, VIOLENCE; KYLE RITTENHOUSE FACING CHARGES

Damage to city-owned property is estimated at nearly $2 million so far, Kenosha's public works director Shelly Billingsley said.

The pricetag factors in the cost to replace garbage trucks, street lights, and traffic signals that were destroyed or damaged in the unrest.

Milwaukee's Biz Times reported that some area businesses are claiming more than $100,000 in losses.

Antaramian said Monday he had also requested federal aid from U.S. Rep. Bryan Steil, R-Wis., and Sens. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., and Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis.

Kenosha, an area of Wisconsin that's nestled on the shore of Lake Michigan, has been at the center of controversy following the police shooting of Blake, a Black man who lives in Kenosha, in an incident caught on cellphone video.Video

The violent protests have continued since Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old resident of nearby Antioch, Ill., shot and killed two Kenosha protesters and wounded another, according to a complaint filed by the Kenosha County District Attorney.

Some Kenosha residents and local officials have expressed hesitation ahead of a Tuesday visit by President Trump, worried that a polarizing political appearance could stir up more drama.

“We must strictly and fully enforce our law and have no tolerance for anarchy and no tolerance -- zero -- for violence,” Trump said Monday. “Anyone who breaks the law should be arrested, prosecuted, and punished.”

He also said he would not meet with Blake's family.

Evers, who has deployed the National Guard to help stop the violence, said Trump’s presence “will only hinder our healing.”