Sign in to follow this  
seeker

Marcus Aurelius - Quote of the day

That which is not good for the bee-hive cannot be good for the bees.

Marcus Aurelius

If a man is mistaken, instruct him kindly and show him his error.  But if thou art not able, blame thyself, or blame not even thyself.   (Book Ten)

Edited by seeker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seeker said:

Best delete the post in the interest of purity.

Done.

Purity, with all its connotations, perceived kindnesses and historical deficits has been maintained...

“ Do not be so open minded that your brains fall out “

Edited by Jaydee

Jaydee, I do believe you've missed the point of this thread.

“If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.”
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

11 hours ago, seeker said:

Jaydee, I do believe you've missed the point of this thread.

Wouldn’t be the first time,😳,  then again famous quotes don’t all have to come from the 2nd century 🤓

9 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

famous quotes don’t all have to come from the 2nd century 🤓

True, but all quotes from Marcus Aurelius must come from Marcus Aurelius. 

I apologize, my intent was obviously not clear from the title.  I like Aurelius and think there is enough wise things he said to support the entire thread.

Edited by seeker

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius

• Like 3

“Run down the list of those who felt intense anger at something: the most famous, the most unfortunate, the most hated, the most whatever: Where is all that now? Smoke, dust, legend…or not even a legend. Think of all the examples. And how trivial the things we want so passionately are.”

― Marcus Aurelius

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

Marcus Aurelius

1 hour ago, seeker said:

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

Marcus Aurelius

So he foresaw Internet Forums. 😀

• Like 1

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts...M.A.

Can be a little hard to follow at times!

"Your mind will take the shape of what you frequently hold in thought, for the human spirit is coloured by such impressions."

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 5.16

Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.

Marcus Aurelius

• Thanks 1

On anger;

Keep this thought handy when you feel a fit of rage coming on—it isn’t manly to be enraged. Rather, gentleness and civility are more human, and therefore manlier. A real man doesn’t give way to anger and discontent, and such a person has strength, courage, and endurance—unlike the angry and complaining. The nearer a man comes to a calm mind, the closer he is to strength.” – Marcus Aurelius

I know this thread is about M.A. quotes...however regarding anger there was another great quote by Seneca (who time-wise was around just before Marcus, and was probably a great influence on him).

the best plan is to reject straightway the first incentives to anger, to resist its very beginnings, and to take care not to be betrayed into it: for if once it begins to carry us away, it is hard to get back again into a healthy condition, because reason goes for nothing when once passion has been admitted to the mind, and has by our own free will been given a certain authority, it will for the future do as much as it chooses, not only as much as you will allow it. The enemy, I repeat, must be met and driven back at the outermost frontier-line: for when he has once entered the city and passed its gates, he will not allow his prisoners to set bounds to his victory.”

Firefox; 

I started this thread with the idea of seeing if it was possible to have a little corner of the forum that didn't run away with derailing and off-topic posts.  You know that in a "famous quotes" thread it's likely that the third quote posted would be Krusty the Clown or Oprah and the whole thread goes to dogsh1t! 

Therefore, your Seneca quote earns you a yellow card warning.  Haha, I'm kidding, of course, as if I have any control over what people post.  I'm a big fan of M.A. as virtually everything the man thought, wrote or spoke, apparently, was inciteful, practical and useful but, seeing as he was a Stoic I hereby decree by the power vested in me (which, admittedly, is virtually none) the thread now open to quotes from all Stoic philosophers.

(I'm also a big fan of Seneca)

Edited by seeker