B737 Vs Man

A Southwest B-737 was landing at Austin Texas last Thursday and just after touchdown the crew saw a man out on the runway. Tried to move around him but hit him and killed him. Apparently, a homeless guy who managed to hop a fence and make it onto the airport.

I really didn’t think the human body could do that much damage to a 737 engine….but then again at about 105 -110 knots….who knows? I would have thought that the initial contact at the leading edge of the engine would have catapulted the guy away from the engine.

ScreenShot004.jpg.b2e2827014ad3aeb714806e39eb63023.jpg

1 hour ago, Super 80 said:

Austin huh?

Naturally the solution will be bike lanes, signalled crosswalks and a 30mph speed limit on the runway.

That sounds just like Edmonton

9 hours ago, Fido said:

That sounds just like Edmonton

Edmonton is Edmonton, but they will never top Calgary's present level of stupidity. If a trespasser got hit on the runway at YYC there would be a certain alderperson objecting to the fact that pedestrians don't have the right-of-way on the runway.

65786b6c7407d80f76688d353ad8b1fc.jpg

So I had to go to Shoppers Drug Mart to get a prescription……I was unaware that  they only let in people one at a time and I didn’t know how many were in the store…..I did find out that the next time I go to the store I should take a cane…three persons , 2 men and a woman, each with a cane and no outward appearance of a handicap  came up to the line and passed everyone and went to the head of the line….now instead of being  # 11 to go in the store, I am #14…but it gets better …then one of the locals you always see scooting around in her electric golf cart came up and went in front of the “caners”….so now I am #15…….. and it is starting to rain.

At long last…I get in the store and see that there is only one person at the prescription pick up counter, but not before a young female employee pushes a cart toward me..”I don’t need a cart…I’m only going to stand over there, in line,and pick up a prescription “. I say..

“You have to take a cart, its mandatory “she says….”

“Why do I need to have a cart  just to go pick up my prescription?” I ask

“Because people are not staying 6 feet away from each other …and the cart ensures you stay 6 feet away from any person.“

“You have all these little red circles all over the store, arrows on the floor for direction of travel  and people don’t know how to stay 6 feet away from each other….is that correct ?”

“That is correct sir,”

“So why don’t you get on the loudspeaker or personally tell the violators of the rule…..why waste your time “sanitizing all the carts” when some of us don’t need one and we can see the red circles and have the brains to know what they mean ?”

“Sir, the store policy is that you must have a cart to ensure you are 6 feet away from another person”

OK..give me a cart but would it be OK to be only 4 feet away from someone?”

“No sir, you must be 6 feet away and the cart ensures you are the prescribed distance apart”

As I slowly pushed the cart away I turned to her and said…….”You do realize these are not grocery size carts and are just under 4 feet long?”

I didn’t wait for her reply…I went and got my prescription turned around walked back to the door and “she” started to sanitize the little cart for the next soul…..

So much fun being retired but if truth be told, this “lock-down” is getting a bit old….

The owner of the local shoppers has been encouraging local MDs and his regular customers, where possible,  to send prescriptions to his branch electronically and the meds are delivered to the home address.  The delivery guy is behind PPE to the extent possible and you pay by credit/debit/ touch/swipe on a terminal that he sanitizes.

Obviously it does not cover 100% of transactions but it reduces contact of people and pieces of paper in the pharmacy.

Seems to work and probably will become closer to the norm if the economics work. 

The world has gone insane.  My mother lives in a small city in Sask.  There has not been a single case in the city - not one.  She was talking to her Dr. and was told the hospital is empty - nobody.  The cancelled everything in preparation for the fricking stampede of people who were going to need ventilating but nobody showed up.  My brother has some outpatient medical needs but can't schedule anything since 'THE PANDEMIC!" has everything closed/cancelled.  Remember, I said there has not been a single case anywhere in the city.  I understand the concept of taming the tiger/smoothing the edge/flattening the curve and am glad there's no cases but it seems to me that there has to be a more nuanced way of handling this.   In the larger area of Southern Sask there has been 15 cases, all recovered and no current cases and people are walking around in masks trying to stay 6' apart while obsessively covering themselves in hand sanitizer.

Ration thinking left humanity long ago.  

Our “education” system wouldn’t want to teach kids how to critical think and ponder rational thoughts - it would throw a wrench in the entire liberal education agenda.

This is why I love the copy andpaste posts on Facebook about being educated adn knowing they may be asymptomatic.  Blah blah blah.

Well if you have been under isolation or quarantine for over the 14 days then you are not asymptomatic you are free of the virus.  Period.  I have been isolated for 65 days now.  So am I asymptomatic or virus free?  Let me use my big brain here.

So based on that why should I not be allowed to pack up everything I need and head to the cottage?  if I remain clear of everyone else I and they have nothing to worry about.

Common sense ain't all that common.

10 hours ago, boestar said:

This is why I love the copy andpaste posts on Facebook about being educated adn knowing they may be asymptomatic.  Blah blah blah.

Well if you have been under isolation or quarantine for over the 14 days then you are not asymptomatic you are free of the virus.  Period.  I have been isolated for 65 days now.  So am I asymptomatic or virus free?  Let me use my big brain here.

So based on that why should I not be allowed to pack up everything I need and head to the cottage?  if I remain clear of everyone else I and they have nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately your description isn't that typical and the normal cottage trip involves interactions in the communities for supplies,  gas, and interaction with others.  The message is being shared in NW Ontario and Kenora has lots of Manitoba license plates in town now. It would be the same is 905 & 416 people had different plates. It doesn't help that MB has loosened up the rules due to the low # of cases muddying the waters.... I can access LOTW from the MB side but can't from the Ontario boat launches.

12 hours ago, boestar said:

So you don't eat? Never been in to a store, or a gas station, even once?

2 hours ago, J.O. said:

So you don't eat? Never been in to a store, or a gas station, even once?

The vast majority of my food is deliverd.  My wife goes to the store for the remaining items.  Since only one of us is allowed to go she drew the short straw.

I have not had to fill my tank in the car since the beginning of March so no, no gas station either

1 hour ago, boestar said:

The vast majority of my food is deliverd.  My wife goes to the store for the remaining items.  Since only one of us is allowed to go she drew the short straw.

I have not had to fill my tank in the car since the beginning of March so no, no gas station either

Every time your wife goes out and returns, you are now exposed. She could bring it home to you, and you wouldn’t know for probably 7 days... get it?

On 5/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, seeker said:

The world has gone insane.  ........................................................................ In the larger area of Southern Sask there has been 15 cases, all recovered and no current cases and people are walking around in masks trying to stay 6' apart while obsessively covering themselves in hand sanitizer.

Best quote yet.

I can't help but wonder that in all the sanitizer being used, what happens to rest of our immunity systems to fight off other bugs and germs ???

Archived