Lockdown Distractions

deicer

When I was young I always thought Andy Capp was one of the worst comics.  Seems to have gotten more and more relatable over the years for some reason.

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 07.40.16.png

Milestone birthday last week....my daughter sent this, inside a birthday card, and part of what she wrote was;

"Reminds me of you, Dad"

ScreenShot022.jpg.1a85a8ddd009f6d5cc3b4bde0ce0a388.jpg

Nice to see that at least she, considering the world as we know it today, has not lost her sense of humour.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Milestone birthday last week....my daughter sent this, inside a birthday card, and part of what she wrote was;

"Reminds me of you, Dad"

ScreenShot022.jpg.1a85a8ddd009f6d5cc3b4bde0ce0a388.jpg

Nice to see that at least she, considering the world as we know it today, has not lost her sense of humour.

Belated happy birthday Kip! 🍻 Would you mind telling us which one of those characters reminds her of you? Given the “milestone”,  I was looking for something more like 👇 in the group but can’t seem to locate it. 😄

Ummm….. Is there a “run and hide” emoticon??? I could use it about now.

9332E355-F128-4011-857D-12D1B284A4AA.jpeg

On 4/26/2022 at 1:50 PM, deicer said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/two-planes-two-pilots-one-mid-flight-stunt-gone-awry-and-now-an-faa-investigation

wo planes, two pilots, one mid-flight stunt gone awry — and now an FAA investigation

The two pilots tried to swap places mid-flight but one of the planes crashed in Eloy, Arizona

FAA has cancelled both their certificates. Wonder if it's a permanent cancellation... https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/us/pilot-stunt-faa-penalty/index.html

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, Moon The Loon said:

FAA has cancelled both their certificates. Wonder if it's a permanent cancellation... https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/us/pilot-stunt-faa-penalty/index.html

The fact that they tried for approval, were denied, and carried on with the stunt is the worst part.  IMO, it's stupid thing to do in any case - just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.  Especially, as it appears, it couldn't be done.

Wow….it was 73 years ago last night……I ran across this on TVO last night…a great documentary:

https://www.tvo.org/programs/the-dambusters

Small world story……on layovers in London, a frequent crew bar was a place called “Crockers Folly”…used to walk by all the time..at the end of a row of townhomes next door was a blue historic sign……”Home of Wing Commander Guy Gibson”

2 hours ago, st27 said:

Small world story……on layovers in London, a frequent crew bar was a place called “Crockers Folly”…used to walk by all the time..at the end of a row of townhomes next door was a blue historic sign……”Home of Wing Commander Guy Gibson”

That was my favourite pub. They had a great fish pie. They also had fun trivia nights. Interesting background to the place.

This pub-cum-hotel, designed by architect C.H. Worley, went up in 1898–9 at the height of the great London pub-building boom and was one of the most opulent around. It had a restaurant on the second floor and a concert room on the first. The large left-hand room was a billiard room while the right-hand space was originally divided into five compartments including a ladies’ bar. The space in between was called the saloon and has a marble counter, a remarkable marble fireplace, and richly treated ceiling. Until 1987 it was known as the Crown Hotel (the name appears on a clock in the servery), but took its present title thanks to a wondrous myth. The story went that the entrepreneur responsible, Frank Crocker, thought the Great Central Railway, then making its way into London, would end up by his new venture. In fact, it terminated a mile away at Marylebone. Ruin, disaster, despair, and he threw himself to his death from an upper window. In reality the destination had been approved back in 1893 and Frank actually died a natural death in 1904 at the tender age of 41: his estate wqas worth £4108 12s. 9d. so he wasfar from impoverished. He is buried in Kensal Green Center. The building reopened in 2014 after ten years’ closure and is now more of a restaurant than a traditional pub.

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/53

Crockers Folly is not the place it used to be…. Very hoity toity… they even have a maître d’ to greet patrons…..lots of Benz’s/bentlys… I got the impression they didn't want it aircrew hanging out without proper attire…..this was from my last visit over 3 years ago.

Leaflets Over Havana – How Brothers to the Rescue Papered Havana

25 views May 23, 2022 On January 13, 1995, the afternoon skies over Havana were cloudy and strong northernly winds were blowing. When Cubans looked up, they saw thousands of leaflets falling out of the clouds into the heart of the city. Yet no plane could be heard, nor any seen, and Cuban air defense radars detected nothing. How had it been done? It was a mystery. From the steps of the capital building to Old Havana, Plaza Vieja and the Plaza De La Revolucion, leaflets dropped by the non-profit search and rescue group, Brothers to the Rescue, had papered much of the city.
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:31 PM, Seeker said:

The fact that they tried for approval, were denied, and carried on with the stunt is the worst part.

Yabut, isn't that the American way? They really seem to embrace their rule breakers/gangsters/oddballs/Trump supporters...

1 hour ago, Moon The Loon said:

Yabut, isn't that the American way? They really seem to embrace their rule breakers/gangsters/oddballs/Trump supporters...

Not certain that you can pin that attitude on just Americans.  Thrill seekers and sponsors abound all around the world. 

1 hour ago, Kargokings said:

Not certain that you can pin that attitude on just Americans.  Thrill seekers and sponsors abound all around the world. 

Ture 'nuf, but them 'muricans are closest to us and an antithesis of our legalistic evolution.

Edited by Moon The Loon

8 minutes ago, Moon The Loon said:

Ture 'nuf, but them 'muricans are closest to us and an antithesis of our legalistic evolution.

I read something once that made the point about America being formed with the notion of independence and self-reliance.  The idea was that without this base concept the process of expanding outward into the vast unknown territory of the west would not have been possible or wouldn't have been as successful anyways.

I don't know how accurate that is or how it factors in today but there is some logic to the idea that a country formed with the philosophy of self-reliance would carry that ethos forward.  Virtually all Americans I've talked to about it just want the government to step back and let them live their lives as they see fit.  Of course I don't mix much with lefties or Liberals - I'm sure their POV would be different.

As an aside, I would say that 90% of the American pilots and FAs I run into on my world travels are Republican in their political stance.

18 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

That's more of a Red Bull corporate culture thing. Crazy stunts are kind of what they do.