Lockdown Distractions

deicer

A gantry system sounds like it would be perfect but "real world" is a completely different scenario.  The truth is that with the wind blowing from some random direction any particular aircraft might be completely covered on one side and almost bare on the other - this would lead to over-applying one side to assure the other is cleaned off.  If you were to try to devise a system that allows for different amounts of spray on each side you might as well use trucks - as that's the ultimate control.

use trucks - as that's the ultimate control.

We don' need no stinkin' trucks, bucket and coffee mug does the job.

(Actual de-icing as seen through the terminal window, some erasing of identity done. The company is no longer active).

IMG_0009.jpeg

Back in the dark ages I was the FO on a Mil DC -3 and overnighted in Yarmouth NS. The next morning  we had light coating of hoar frost on the wings. There were no deicing capabilities at that airport in those days but the grizzled old vet I was flying with found a barrel of some kind of fluid, maybe "isopropyl" ....I don' t know what it was but "he" said it would take the frost off.....but we had no way to get it on the wings.

The solution?? We pumped the fluid onto  inverted garbage can lids, backed up to the wing, and with both hands  threw the fluid over out heads and it ran down the wings. 

We did get a bit wet but the "Captain" made rain coats for us, a garbage bag with three holes cut in it. so it wasn't too bad....but we did smell a bit weird for the ride back to North Bay.........12 April 1965

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jaydee said:

The best deicing system I ever experienced was in CDG. You taxied in, parked, machine went from front to back much like a car wash. Fluid was all recycled if I recall.

And each major runway had a bay so that there was minimal taxi post-spray. They were in addition to the central bay. A well laid out airport!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

She proves that if you have the correct power tools you can fix anything.....

Thanks for sharing..

Power tools?  The only "power tool" I saw was the welder unless you call a claw hammer and pipe wrench power tools.  At the 12:00 minute mark she picks up the fully assembled diesel engine with cast iron black and attached flywheel to carry it to the test stand - that's some power right there.

Check out this one.  Repairs a generator.  No just the engine but rebuilds the electrical side too:  

25 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Power tools?  The only "power tool" I saw was the welder unless you call a claw hammer and pipe wrench power tools.  At the 12:00 minute mark she picks up the fully assembled diesel engine with cast iron black and attached flywheel to carry it to the test stand - that's some power right there.

Check out this one.  Repairs a generator.  No just the engine but rebuilds the electrical side too:  

Seeker...Seeker......you should know me by now.....HUMOUR..HUMOUR   it is the elixir of my life...( I guess I should have used some  emojis??😉

2 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Seeker...Seeker......you should know me by now.....HUMOUR..HUMOUR   it is the elixir of my life...( I guess I should have used some  emojis??😉

Yes, I know you Kip.  My response was also humour and was mainly for those who might be reading the thread - you know, just to carry it further.

THE ORENDA RING

Avro Arrow with Avro Canuck in the background. Both used Orenda engines.

Avro Arrow with Avro Canuck in the background.

During the cold war period after World War 2 the Canadian government contracted Avro Canada to develop a brand new all-weather interceptor that could meet and face the new Russian threat that may potentially invade the skies above our nation. A two seater, dual engined all-weather fighter began to take shape at Avro under the name of the CF-100 Canuck. Design of this new jet had to meet Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) specification for an all-weather fighter with advanced avionics and radar for all-weather and night sorties. The project was initiated at Avro Canada in October 1946.

The Canadian designed Avro CF-100 Canuck

The Canadian designed Avro CF-100 Canuck

Avro Canada asked another Canadian company to build the advanced jet engines for this new jet. The Orenda’s engine prototype was completed in less than a year, and the engine first ran in February 1949, a year before the CF-100’s maiden flight. Testing of this new top-secret, advanced jet engine took place in classified locations. When it entered production it was the most powerful engine in the world, a title it held until 1952. The Orenda engine also powered the Canadair F-86 Sabre fighter jet.

The Orenda jet engine (on display at Carleton University)

The Orenda jet engine (on display at Carleton University)

In 1953, Avro Canada once again turned to Orenda to produce an engine for the new ultra secret CF-105 Arrow project. Again, Orenda was able to prototype a new engine in a short period of time, starting development in 1953, completing it in May 1954 and building and running the prototype by December 1954. During the testing period, the new “Iroquois” was the most powerful jet engine in the world. It was aerodynamically matched for peak performance at 50,000 feet  altitude and Mach 2 speed. After some 7,000 hours of development testing, up to a simulated altitude of 70,000 feet (21,300 m) and a forward speed of Mach 2.3, the Iroquois program was cancelled, along with the Avro Arrow on 20 February 1959.

So where did these top secret jet engine tests take place? Local rumours and an area author in Prince Edward County believe secret Avro tests happened somewhere in a field 20 minutes south of Picton, Ontario, 15 minutes from my parents house.

According to the author of the book “Camp Picton: A Storied 70 Years in a Canadian Military Training Camp” by Joanne Courneya-Fralick, one day in 1951-52 the military stopped at a local school to offload jet fuel for a top secret operation near Point Petre. A CF-100 was on a truck and “for some reason it was being towed to Point Petre for testing.” The author visited Point Petre and recorded finding an asphalt ring in a field with a centre tether post of which the Avro test engines were attached for testing.

Avro technicians prepare an Avro Arrow test model attached to a Nike booster rocket to fire out over Lake Ontario at Point Petre in the 1950s.

Avro technicians prepare an Avro Arrow test model attached to a Nike booster rocket to fire out over Lake Ontario at Point Petre in the 1950s.

Rumour has it that experimental Orenda jet engines were tethered to a post in the centre of a large circular paved track in the middle of a secluded field. The experimental jet engine was bolted to a wheeled cart attached to a central post, then ignited. The accelerating jet engine would then spin around the asphalt track, tethered to the centre post, while engineers studied the performance of the engine as it spun around the track at high speed. Making notes and putting the new jet engine through its paces, the engine would scream around in this secluded field, far away from spying eyes.

Concept sketch showing how the Avro-Orenda field tests may have been conducted.

Concept sketch showing how the Avro-Orenda field tests may have been conducted.

The ultra-top secret test operations for the Orenda engines were only a few hundred metres from the Avro Arrow test facility that operated at Point Petre where scale models of the Arrow were fastened to Nike Rockets and fired out over Lake Ontario for aerodynamic study. It seems likely this Orenda jet engine test facility was used for both the CF-100 engine tests around 1950, and the later testing of the CF-105 Avro Arrow Orenda Iroquois engine.

Avro Arrow model launch pad at Point Petre

Avro Arrow model launch pad at Point Petre as it appears today (Bing Maps)

So does this Cold War era secret jet engine test facility still exist? Let’s find out…

I scoured the area of Point Petre on Google Satellite Maps and came across an unusual anomaly in a field that resembles a paved ring. Being in close proximity to the Avro Arrow test model launch pad, this seems the likely location of the Orenda Ring.

An unusual ring shape in a field near Point Petre...possibly the Lost Ring oF Orenda.

An unusual ring shape in a field near Point Petre…possibly the Orenda Ring.

ringdiameter

There was only one way to find out if this is the actual abandoned 1950s Cold War Avro jet engine test facility…to hike in and find out what remained.

Ring shape in a field as seen from the air near Point Petre.

Ring shape in a field as seen from the air near Point Petre.

Using Google and Bing Map satellite images, a distinctive ring shape can be seen with a centre area clearly visible. This is most likely the once secret Orenda engine test site. Abandoned for 60 years after the Avro program was cancelled in 1959, the asphalt test track the engine sleds would rotate at high speed around could possibly still be there.

Despite the snow covered grounds of late December, I thought the ring could still be visible and maybe found…and it was.

Details of this fascinating discovery below…

Closer view of what looks to be the Orenda Ring.

Closer view of what looks to be the Orenda Ring.

After driving to Point Petre, I mapped out where the Orenda Ring would be and headed into the scrub brush.

After driving to Point Petre, I mapped out where the Orenda Ring would be and headed into the scrub brush.

Hiking through the deep snow, I broke through the scrub brush and came across the ring track. ATVs have used it.

Hiking through the deep snow, I broke through the scrub brush and came across the ring track. ATVs have used it.

The ring track has quite a large diameter, with a gradual curve to it.

The ring track has quite a large diameter, with a gradual curve to it.

Hiking in from the perimeter to the centre of the ring a post was visible.

Hiking in from the perimeter to the centre of the ring, a post was visible.

..and there it was...after 50 years of sitting abondoned in an overgrown field, the Orenda jet engine tether post sits as a lonely reminder of the Cold War tests that happened here.

..and there it was…after 50 years of sitting abondoned in an overgrown field, the Orenda jet engine tether post sits as a lonely reminder of the Cold War jet engine tests that reportedly happened here.

With the paint hardly worn, the 60 year old Orenda jet engine tether test pole looks almost brand new despite sitting in the elements since 1959. Tether chain and the rotator cap still remain.

With the paint hardly worn, the 60 year old Orenda jet engine tether test pole looks almost brand new despite sitting exposed to the elements since the 1950s. Tether chain and the rotator cap still remain.

Surrounded by vegetation that would have never been there during the jet engine tests of the 1950s, the tehter post has a visble anchor pad under the snow.

Surrounded by overgrown vegetation that would never have existed during the jet engine tests of the 1950s, the tether post has a visible anchor pad under the snow.

https://ottawarewind.com/2013/12/29/the-ring-of-orenda/

• Thanks 3

On 4/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, Seeker said:

Wow, impressive.  Be sure to click on the gear icon and turn on sub-titles.

Indeed, that wasn't her first go at an engine rebuild.

Pretty quiet weekend here in Canada....Not so much in many parts of the world...

This posted songs is one of my favourites not only because of the vocal arrangement , and music, but also the message that is projected to those that feel life is just not what you think it should be because of outside influences...Give a listen..

• Like 1