Lockdown Distractions

deicer

2 minutes ago, Rich Pulman said:

To be fair, the A330 was a stall and B52 wasn’t. 

They were actually both stalled.

Crashed during an airshow practice flight. While executing a "go-around" Approximately three quarters of the way through the turn, the aircraft banked past 90 degrees, stalled, clipped a power line with the left wing and crashed.  https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/17433

I get your point though;  the B-52 was out-of-control and then it stalled while the A330 stalled and then went out-of-control - in one the stall was the cause and in the other the stall was the effect.  My point was more about inability to recover from high bank angle/nose low upset at low altitude.

14 minutes ago, seeker said:

They were actually both stalled.

Crashed during an airshow practice flight. While executing a "go-around" Approximately three quarters of the way through the turn, the aircraft banked past 90 degrees, stalled, clipped a power line with the left wing and crashed.  https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/17433

I get your point though;  the B-52 was out-of-control and then it stalled while the A330 stalled and then went out-of-control - in one the stall was the cause and in the other the stall was the effect.  My point was more about inability to recover from high bank angle/nose low upset at low altitude.

I stand corrected. It was my recollection that the B52 didn’t have enough Gz for the bank angle, hence the downward acceleration into terra ferma. Looked like a classic case of what we trained (often) to avoid during low-level missions. My bad!

As an aside, it still gets my heart rate up watching that video knowing that multiple levels of USAF command continued to let that PIC fly. There was only one way it was going to end up. At one time I was a CF demonstration pilot, and I would have been grounded immediately for any such transgressions. That was a sad, sad accident.

Cutting up, not an airplane.

Link to story including pictures:

Capsized Car-Carrying Cargo Ship Cut in Half as Salvage Continues (msn.com)

Capsized Car-Carrying Cargo Ship Cut in Half as Salvage Continues
Sebastian Blanco  4 hrs ago
Warming stews perfect for chillier days
Canadians must work to prevent third COVID wave: expert
Car and Driver logoCapsized Car-Carrying Cargo Ship Cut in Half as Salvage Continues

The Golden Ray has been awaiting removal since September 2019, when the 656-foot-long ship caught on fire and capsized with 4200 newly built vehicles on board.© Savannah Corps of Engineers via Facebook The Golden Ray has been awaiting removal since September 2019, when the 656-foot-long ship caught on fire and capsized with 4200 newly built vehicles on board.
It took a year to plan, but the salvage efforts started in earnest in November 2020.
To start with, the first massive chunk was cut off of the ship and schlepped to shore, but it took until January 2 to get the stern separated and removed as operaitons continue.
At least one SUV fell off the wreck and into the ocean when the section of the ship, weighing 6000 metric tons, was airborne; an environmental barrier involving mesh netting is helping catch loose vehicles that drop out.
UPDATE, 1/3/2021: As the salvage of the Golden Ray cargo ship continues off the coast of Georgia, workers on the night of January 2 completed the operation to separate the stern from the rest of the ship. Next they'll load it into a "specially devised cradle" on a barge deck and haul it off to a recycling facility in Louisiana, the local Brunswick News reported on Sunday. In the end, the 656-foot-long ship will have been cut into eight pieces, the paper said. Meanwhile, there are some 30 vessels out patrolling the waters around the capsized ship on the lookout for oil leaks and other environmental issues, while an "environmental protection barrier" around the ship has mesh netting underneath it to catch loose vehicles—and vehicle parts—that drop out of the wreck.

The saga of the Golden Ray continues. Once a simple cargo ship plying the seas, the 656-foot-long vessel made the news in September 2019 when it capsized off the coast of Georgia near Saint Simons Sound with around 4200 new vehicles on board. It’s been sitting on the shallow ocean bed since then while plans to extract the ship and its contents from the scene were developed and, now, finally, implemented.

Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
That’s why, all through November, salvage workers were getting ready to slice the ship into eight smaller pieces in order to move them back to shore. A giant chain powered by two large engine made the first cut through the keel this weekend. This work required a giant piece of equipment called the Versabar VB 10,000 crane vessel that was first built a decade ago to help with oil rigs damaged in hurricanes.

This enormous work vessel is made up of two barges with two truss space frames between them and is able to lift heavy wreckage out of the water so it can be loaded onto other ships and carried away. The VB 10,000 can lift 7500 metric tons, and it’s estimated that the first section of the Golden Ray weighed 6000 metric tons, with all sorts of cars and sediment inside.

a close up of a ship: Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation© St. Simons Sound Incident Response Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation
a large ship in the water: Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation© St. Simons Sound Incident Response Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation
Once lifted in the air, the first cut slice of the Golden Ray was placed on the barge Julie B and taken to Port of Brunswick before eventually heading to a recycling center in Louisiana. It wasn’t easy work. During all of the work and commotion this past weekend, an SUV fell into the ocean from the large chunk of the Golden Ray that was lifted in the air. It was not the first to fall, and the salvage team has installed a giant net to catch things like this. Smaller chunks of debris have also washed up on nearby shores and oil-skimming craft prowl the waters around the wreck to clean up any spills.

a group of people on a boat in the water: Capsized Car-Carrying Cargo Ship Finally Salvaged© St. Simons Sound Incident Response Capsized Car-Carrying Cargo Ship Finally Salvaged
This kind of unusual activity is bringing out the gawkers. There’s a 200-yard safety barrier around the wreck, keeping the sightseeing boats and drones all trying to get good views of the situation a safe distance away. A Saint Simons resident told local news station WJXT that viewers can see distressed vehicles from shore.

"With the binoculars we can see cars and things inside the lifted section," she said. "The cars are jumbled, right? Some of them look like they're upside down, some of them look like you're looking at the roof. The ones we can see are red, white, and black. They’re definitely in all sorts of orientations and not great conditions."

Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation© St. Simons Sound Incident Response Golden Ray Cargo Ship salvage operation

image.png

Captain Roger Ramjet  pulled into the crowded parking lot at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre and rolled down a car window to just about halfway. He had received a Labrador Retriever puppy for Christmas and wanted the  puppy to have fresh air.

The puppy was stretched full-out on the back seat and the Captain  wanted to teach the dog to obey his commands.

ScreenShot010.jpg.b1ad4d43fc9309fc6851681c5fbe0d11.jpg

Captain Ramjet started to walk to the curb backwards, pointing his  finger at the car and saying emphatically,

"Now you stay. Do you hear me?"

"Stay! . Stay!"

The driver of a nearby car, a pretty young blonde, gave the Captain a  strange look and said,                                                       

ScreenShot011.jpg.89a2e3f3b28963cc2e55fb9c76ca1a40.jpg

" Why don’t you just put it in Park ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1