Lockdown Distractions

deicer

The late Princess Grace, (Kelly), was visiting Montreal via St Hubert  RCAF station and I happened to be there as I was passing through with a jet to Bagotville and had stopped for gas. 

Her transport was a RCAF CV-580.... Just aft of the pilot seats is a sextant mount, which had a hole right through the cockpit ceiling. and that is where we normally flew VIP flags on taxi out and taxi in. In this case, it was a very rushed departure as the Princess had taken ill and was being flown to NYC for medical care.......((unfortunately she had a miscarriage and lost the baby after arrival in NYC))

All aircraft on the ground at YHU were stopped in order to expedite their departure... We watched as they rolled out onto the runway and accelerated for takeoff...but the Monaco flag was still flying as they accelerated !!! I guess at about 80-100kts the flag had started to bend and then  an audible "pop" could be heard as the flag and the standard arced over the tail and bounced down the runway.

A touch of humour on an otherwise sad day. 

2 hours ago, mo32a said:

What a great video, I would be happy if my knees just let me walk properly let alone move like that.

I saw that video last week and sent it to my 10 year old grand-daughter.  I asked if she could dance like that.  She said no but she would work on it.

Sorry Malcolm.....I do not see the connection........BORN TO BE ALIVE / EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY

JMO ......but the clip from the BB movie does not resonate, for me, with Patrick Hernandez's video.

Thankfully, there are times when we all see things in different sound and hues?

2 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Sorry Malcolm.....I do not see the connection........BORN TO BE ALIVE / EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY

JMO ......but the clip from the BB movie does not resonate, for me, with Patrick Hernandez's video.

Thankfully, there are times when we all see things in different sound and hues?

It was just a WAG but I am sure Rich will provide clarification.  Re distractions, how about telling us about your new ride.

29 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Re. the ride....lots to do, exams to pass, flight check etc....hopefully this old soul and pull it all off.....

Have patience my friend..?

I have no doubt but that you will ace it.  Then of course we will want to know about your new aircraft also.  Cheers

6 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Re. the ride....lots to do, exams to pass, flight check etc....hopefully this old soul and pull it all off.....

Have patience my friend..?

I already have a T33 type-rating on my licence, so let me know if you need some help. Could even lend you the AOI and “How to Fly” books if you don’t already have them. ?

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

Thanks Rich but going back to props??

turbo?, Perhaps float capable?  Will you have to check your new dive tables re how long before getting airborne??   How many legs to Belize? ?

18 minutes ago, Rich Pulman said:

No worries Kip. I’m reasonably proficient on props as well.

Well my actual flying time is heavily loaded to the prop side.....prop hours about 17,200 all twins and quads except for the Chippy, Hazard, L-19, helos  and  occasional pvt bird,........the rest is all jet time. 

It's all the low level wx and aerodynamics knowledge that I am dredging up. Fortunately I have a friend who loaned me the DND equivalent to the old Weather Ways...Saw the old Weather Ways on EBay for about $52.00CDN 

Thanks for the offer ....

When the fox is guarding the hen house .....  ?rs\

Putin's nuclear 'doomsday' plane broken into at Russian airfield, communications gear stolen
National Post Staff , Reuters  6 hrs ago

An Ilyushin Il-80, Russian military aircraft modified from the Ilyushin Il-86 airliner, known as the Doomsday Plane, is seen in Moscow region, Russia February 9, 2012. Picture taken February 9, 2012.

a large air plane on a runway at an airport: An Ilyushin Il-80, Russian military aircraft modified from the Ilyushin Il-86 airliner, known as the Doomsday Plane, is seen in Moscow region, Russia February 9, 2012. Picture taken February 9, 2012.

Russia’s so-called “doomsday” plane, a top-secret military aircraft designed to help Vladimir Putin stay in charge from the skies should a nuclear war break out, has been broken into and robbed of much of its communications gear.

The Guardian reports that the plane, a military craft called the Ilyushin-80, was entered via a cargo door at a Russian airfield in the city of Taganrog. The robbery at the Taganrog Aviation Scientific and Technical Complex took place as maintenance work was being carried out, and raises questions about the security of sensitive military-related installations.

The theft first came to light earlier this week in reports by Russian media, including the REN TV channel, which said signs of a break-in had been spotted last Friday and that 39 electronic units had been removed.

The plane is meant to keep Putin and other top Russian officials safe in the worst-case scenario, and does not even have any windows for passengers, to protect their eyes from the glare of would-be atomic bombs.

It carries an antenna that it can hang out and use to make contact with submarines, and among the communications gear on board, the Guardian reports, is technology that helps its passengers stay in touch with the Russian army, to let them preside over missile forces, even while airborne for days.

But it turns out the plane wasn’t even safe itself. Police found both fingerprints and shoeprints on board, but the thieves remain at large. Police gave no details about the nature of the stolen equipment except for its estimated worth — more than 1 million roubles ($13,600).

As well as the raided plane, Russia has three more Ilyushin-80s, which are modified versions of the Ilyushin Il-86, a Soviet passenger jet. The modified jets were made during the late Cold War to serve as aerial command posts.

Russian military experts speculated that the items had been stolen because some of the units had been assembled using precious metals such as gold and platinum.

The incident comes after Putin plowed vast funds into overhauling the Russian military amid tensions with the West that are at their highest since the end of the Cold War.

The Kremlin said measures would be taken to stop such a theft occurring again.

— with files from Reuters

Putin's nuclear 'doomsday' plane broken into at Russian airfield, communications gear stolen (msn.com)

image.png

Good Morning All:

One of my favourite videos is this one of an Air New Zealand A-320 doing an early morning RNAV (RNP) Y RW05 approach into Queenstown (NZQN). On finals it will break out over an arm of Lake Wakatipu which in VFR conditions is a very scenic approach.

The area has some high terrain as the attached approach plate will show the Remarkable’s to the south and Crowne Range to the east.

If you ever make Wanaka (South Island) take the Crowne Range Road to ZQN as it will give you some spectacular views over looking ZQN and if you get there in when RW 23 is in use you can watch the RNAV arrivals going through the valley as you look down at the aircraft in question. The look out is at 1970 meters on the highest macadamized road in New Zealand.

On the way you will pass through Cardrona and I would recommend stopping at the Cardrona Hotel built in 1863 during the Cardrona Gold Rush. Try the Blue Cod Fish and Chips or the Seafood Chowder which beats YYT and YHZ hands down.

There is also the Cardrona Distillery founded in 2015 for gin, vodka and malt whiskey. As an aside they won worlds best 3-year malt but the rest are “sleeping” for another five years or so.

You can also drive up to the Cardrona ski hill roughly 20 km a fun drive for sharp switch backs on a gravel road in a right-hand drive car.

https://youtu.be/-zVgyz_LmMY

NZQN_45.1_45.2.pdf