Lockdown Distractions

deicer

11 hours ago, deicer said:

For Tritanic fans...

Good Evening Deicer:

Thank you for posting this as yes I am a "Tritanic" fan.

It was fun in YUL on M30C days EAL Mtce would ground run their RON aircraft first thing around 06:00 for about 5 minutes just to get the core temperature up which helped against "oil hiding". We always had the "pleasure" of starting an ice cold airplane then experience "oil hiding" where the oil quantity would go to 0 and one would have to wait for the quantity to return to 4 quarts under the level before start. If not one would experience high vibrations whicch meant a in-flight shutdown...

Seeing the push back tractor reminded me of my first experience in ZRH as it really got your attention when the nose was raised up before pushback. It was much faster then then using a tow bar for pushback. I think it was the Swiss who invented the tractor but I could be mistaken.

Thanks again for the memories.....  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, A330PilotCanada said:

Good Evening Deicer:

Thank you for posting this as yes I am a "Tritanic" fan.

It was fun in YUL on M30C days EAL Mtce would ground run their RON aircraft first thing around 06:00 for about 5 minutes just to get the core temperature up which helped against "oil hiding". We always had the "pleasure" of starting an ice cold airplane then experience "oil hiding" where the oil quantity would go to 0 and one would have to wait for the quantity to return to 4 quarts under the level before start. If not one would experience high vibrations whicch meant a in-flight shutdown...

Seeing the push back tractor reminded me of my first experience in ZRH as it really got your attention when the nose was raised up before pushback. It was much faster then then using a tow bar for pushback. I think it was the Swiss who invented the tractor but I could be mistaken.

Thanks again for the memories.....  

we got in the habit of idling the engines before the crew showed up.  Some days just a dry motor was all that was required.

• Thanks 1

Loved the 8's too!

The whistle that they made when the valve was opened that transitioned into a low hum was fun to watch.  As well, the chances of spectacular wet starts in the dark were great as well.

One of the funniest starts I used to do was on the single aircraft of an outfit called 'Crownair'.  We called it a 'bang start'.

When they were ready to start #2, we would give a thumbs up to the mechanic who would be standing next to the engine with a chock, and he would 'bang' the cowling to free the start valve which was sticky....

• Thanks 1

Good Morning Deicer and Boestar:

I enjoyed your responses with your ramp stories and with regards to the "rumble" deicer it was audible in the flight deck until the packs were selected on after the start. Boestar thank you for the remarks as this must have happened after I moved on to the 9. The bang start must have been fun to watch as well and I guess Transport didn't record that one..........

The link is about the L-1011 model in Eastern livery and this time he has added a camera to record his flying at sunset. Looking over the wing reminded me of being a passenger and on touch down ground spoiler deployment. I guess his next project will be installing Direct Lift Control (DLC) which made the L-1011 a treat to fly on approach.

Enjoy the link. 

https://youtu.be/rjhR3V-XpLE

• Thanks 1

dumb and dumber. the tip was the camo pants, the almost beard and of course the backward hat. for those who interested 

Aircraft Summary
Summary
1946 TAYLORCRAFT BC12-D
Fixed wing single engine
(2 seats / 1 engine)
Owner
ANDREWS LEON V
GERMANTOWN , TN, US
(Individual)
Airworthiness Class
Standard/Unknown
Serial Number
Engine
CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (Reciprocating)
Horsepower: 65
Weight
Less than 12,500lbs
Speed
78mph
Mode S Code
051236107 / A53C47
Registration Details
Status
Assigned
Certificate Issue Date
2016-10-04
Airworthiness Date

Last Action Date
2019-05-21
Expiration
2022-10-31
Registry Source
FAA

16 hours ago, Kargokings said:

the tip was the camo pants, the almost beard and of course the backward hat. for those who interested 

Really? Some of the biggest dolts on the planet wear a suit and tie to work every day. I could name names but I won't.

Edited by J.O.