WestJet, Updates

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

If you are referring to getting it back from AC I personally  feel the acrimony during the AC/CP  "merger" has pretty much become  a distant, dark memory but we at CP, (pilots), got it back...in the back.??....I lost 10 years seniority. In the merger but for me, it really  matters not...I was punted through the goal posts  2 years later, as was the Truckasaurus Rex, and I have to admit...it was a great 15 years in the Industry...? The age factor and time of the merger meant I never flew with one AC pilot,  and all the ex WD and CP drivers were a pleasure to spend time with in the pointy end ...except one guy and everyone who flew the T-Rex  knew who he was ??.......

Barking up the wrong tree there Kip.

I hope you enjoy your retirement , but for the betterment of all, let sleeping dogs lie.

When I worked on the front line in Maintenance we would always assist "other Airlines" if they needed something.  When you took the higher ups out of the equation it was just mechanics trying to get a plane flying.  It didnt matter what colour was on the tail.

One thing in this industry to remember, Be good to every one because tomorrow they could be your boss.

Many time I had someone come to me on the ramp and ask if they could borrow XXXX.  Yup no problem..."Need a hand"

WestJet will make it through COVID-19, but may not recover to previous size, warns CEO

News from Financial Post – link to story

The head of WestJet said the unprecedented collapse in demand for air travel as a result of the virus means it must decide what size of fleet will be commercially viable for the next several years

cal042920-gyb-2-copy.jpg?quality=80&stri Parked WestJet planes are seen through the windows of the Calgary International airport which was almost deserted amid the COVID-19 pandemic on Wednesday, April 29, 2020.Gavin Young/Postmedia

Amanda Stephenson, Calgary Herald – May 6, 2020

The effect of COVID-19 on WestJet has been so devastating that the company may never return to its pre-pandemic size, CEO Ed Sims said Tuesday.

In an exclusive interview with Postmedia, the head of the Calgary-based airline said the unprecedented collapse in demand for air travel as a result of the virus means WestJet must decide what size of fleet will be commercially viable for the next several years.

“We might not be our previous size for a long time, if ever,” Sims said. “We just might not get back there.”

Still, Sims said he has “unequivocal” confidence that WestJet — which prior to the pandemic had 14,000 employees and flew to more than 100 destinations in 24 countries — will survive COVID-19 and be a part of Alberta’s eventual economic recovery. He said the airline has a capable team, the solid backing of its owners (Toronto-based Onex Corp.), and the assurances of the federal government.

“In one conversation I had with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, he said to me that the federal government is committed to WestJet flying Canadians for many, many years to come, and I take a lot of comfort and solace from that statement,” Sims said.

Before the pandemic, WestJet had been a bright spot in the Alberta economy. While many of the province’s other major employers contracted as the price of oil declined, WestJet has spent much of the past five years in aggressive expansion mode, building out its network in preparation for the launch of its Boeing Dreamliner program last year. Before COVID-19 hit, WestJet was using those state-of-the-art planes to fly its first transatlantic routes to London-Gatwick, Paris and Dublin — and had planned to launch a direct flight from Calgary to Rome this month.

cal051319-gya-8.jpg?quality=60&strip=all WestJet president and CEO Ed Sims, left, and Tawfiq Popatia, a managing director at Onex, stand next to one of the engines of a Boeing 787 Dreamliner in a WestJet hanger on Monday, May 13, 2019. Gavin Young / Postmedia

But COVID-19 has severely clipped WestJet’s wings, forcing it to suspend all commercial transborder and international flights. Of the company’s 181 aircraft, 135 have been parked. More than half of its employees have been temporarily furloughed. And Sims said WestJet is considering whether it will have to defer or cancel future scheduled deliveries of the Dreamliner.

“It’s utterly disheartening and dispiriting,” he said. “It’s very hard to see something that you’ve built so carefully and thoughtfully over the last four or five years dismantled.”

As a private company, WestJet has not made public the extent of the financial losses it has taken. (Competitor Air Canada, which is publicly traded, said its own losses topped $1 billion last quarter.)

However, WestJet has been operating in crisis mode since March 1, when bookings began to “fall through the floor” with the increasingly dire news reports out of China and Italy. Sims said in the worst days of early March, when cancellations were outstripping new bookings and before the airline made the decision to temporarily furlough half its staff, WestJet was burning through cash at a rate of about $25 million per day.

WestJet has been able to access the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program, which provides a 75 per cent wage top-up for eligible employers, to keep many of its furloughed employees on the payroll — even though there is no work for them to do. But that program expires in early June, making its renewal Sims’ first priority in what he says are “daily” conversations he is having with the federal government.

WestJet is also seeking federally backed credit support to help the airline maintain liquidity until the worst of the crisis is over.

“We are not looking for taxpayer cash,” Sims said. “We are looking for a facility . . . that would essentially give us the peace of mind to know that if this goes on for another three months, six months, 12 months, that we can continue to operate.”

cal042120-gyb-22-copy.jpg?quality=60&str The number of parked WestJet Boeing 737 planes has slowly grown at the Calgary International Airport amid the COVID-19 pandemic on April 21, 2020. Gavin Young/Postmedia

Sims said he doesn’t expect a recovery in air travel demand until the fourth quarter of 2020, in time for the critical holiday season. But even then, he doesn’t anticipate business to return to normal. While domestic air travel will likely recover first, followed by transborder travel, international travel to Europe and beyond will take longer, he said.

The uncertainty around when exactly Canadians will feel comfortable travelling to Europe is why the company’s Dreamliner expansion plans are now up in the air, Sims said. (WestJet originally planned to take possession of a total of 10 Dreamliners by 2021, with an option to buy 10 more.)

“We have to be very conscious that these are very, very expensive pieces of equipment and no one is served by having expensive equipment sitting on runway aprons instead of operating,” Sims said. “It’s a consideration, not just for the 787 but for broader aspects of our fleet.”

Still, Sims said at the very least, he wants to resume flying to WestJet’s original four European destinations — London, Paris, Dublin and Rome — as soon as it is safe to do so.

“As soon as I see positive signs of demand, and signs of encouragement in Europe that they are now actively containing the spread of the virus, then I want to get back to a position of operating those 787s out of Calgary,” he said. “I firmly believe that we will be a critical part of Alberta’s recovery.”

Share this:

I don't think that's any way to inspire confidence, to say that they might never return to where they were before. Yes, it will take years, but it will take years for everyone else as well. That's not good leadership.

1 minute ago, conehead said:

I don't think that's any way to inspire confidence, to say that they might never return to where they were before. Yes, it will take years, but it will take years for everyone else as well. That's not good leadership.

But it does establish a tone for what happens next.

2 minutes ago, Marshall said:

But it does establish a tone for what happens next.

Well, I guess it does. As if anyone doesn't know there is a massive downsizing coming.

21 minutes ago, conehead said:

It wouldn't be good leadership to suggest that things are a lot better than they are either.  It's really unfortunate, but I think that a lot of people who work in our industry are going to have to look elsewhere for employment for the foreseeable future.  It's only responsible for a CEOs to level with their staff about the fact.

1 hour ago, conehead said:

I tend to agree, with much contradiction and little inspiration, don't exactly see the point of this interview!

11 minutes ago, MD2 said:

I tend to agree, with much contradiction and little inspiration, don't exactly see the point of this interview!

WestJet is a large company and a good employer.  The outlook of its CEO might make, you know, a business story?

6 hours ago, FA@AC said:

It wouldn't be good leadership to suggest that things are a lot better than they are either.  It's really unfortunate, but I think that a lot of people who work in our industry are going to have to look elsewhere for employment for the foreseeable future.  It's only responsible for a CEOs to level with their staff about the fact.

Nailed it.

The level of optimism/hope from the employee group at large needs a reality check. The false hope of things getting better fast sets a bad tone. I prefer the doom and gloom because that's exactly how bad it is. This is as honest as you can get and people need to realize they better polish up their resumes and start looking for the next job because for a lot of people that's the reality they face but have chosen to avoid acknowledging. 

I also think the statements are directed to the government equally as much as the workforce and general public. Of course we want to grow and of course we want to be bigger than we are today. We can't do it without government support so help us (airline) help you (economy). Get moving on the loans you keep promising us. 

28 minutes ago, CanadaEH said:

We can't do it without government support so help us (airline) help you (economy). Get moving on the loans you keep promising us. 

Dagger suggested in a post (on which thread I can't remember) that government likely sees it as incumbent on the airlines to state where they're at and to set out their business plans for the next couple of years before it would decide what support to provide.  Calin laid it out for investors and employees in the Q1 results on Monday, and Ed did so in the news piece linked by Marshall.  Both are talking to government, so perhaps we'll soon hear news of what help aside from the generous CEWS programs they're prepared to offer.

And yeah, there are some in the employee group who need a reality check.  At AC we have a few FAs on private discussion boards insisting that they should be earning danger pay (LOL), a few sitting at home on 75% taxpayer-funded pay who are livid that AC isn't topping their salary up to 100% while they sit at home, and a few who are angry that they aren't constantly being hailed as heroes for doing what they get paid to do.  The majority are far more sensible, mercifully. 

I much prefer having been levelled with in that I am probably only safe until October than a family member who is getting a mandatory Friday pep talk every week about how there is nothing to worry about.

11 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Dagger suggested in a post (on which thread I can't remember) that government likely sees it as incumbent on the airlines to state where they're at and to set out their business plans for the next couple of years before it would decide what support to provide.  Calin laid it out for investors and employees in the Q1 results on Monday, and Ed did so in the news piece linked by Marshall.  Both are talking to government, so perhaps we'll soon hear news of what help aside from the generous CEWS programs they're prepared to offer.

And yeah, there are some in the employee group who need a reality check.  At AC we have a few FAs on private discussion boards insisting that they should be earning danger pay (LOL), a few sitting at home on 75% taxpayer-funded pay who are livid that AC isn't topping their salary up to 100% while they sit at home, and a few who are angry that they aren't constantly being hailed as heroes for doing what they get paid to do.  The majority are far more sensible, mercifully. 

I saw Jerry Dias basically telling the feds in a news release that their financial support should make all of his airline members whole going forward. It isn't going to happen. The industry is going to downsize, then build up slowly as we get greater demand, and that greater demand isn't going to happen fast unless and until the COVID issue recedes to the point where the vast majority of people feel it is safe to travel for tourism, conferences, business meetings - i.e. situations that are either non-essential or can be conducted virtually. Until then, we are heading to a layoff scenario for excess employees, perhaps after early retirements and voluntary leaves reduce the surplus staff. Since passenger demand is low, cargo rates will remain up and that will sustain some all-cargo activity for pilots and IAM people beyond the skeleton network of passenger flights. Some Unifor people have to man the airports and call centres, and perhaps work virtually.

That said, there is no way around the decline in business, and Unifor and the others would be more honest to convey that message to their members. That way, young flight attendants or ticket agents particular might consider moving on, going back to school, whatever, rather than being lulled into believing that come the summer and ad infinitum that the government - meaning the taxpayers - are going to give them a fully paid job sitting at home or jogging outside while doing nothing for their employer.

That article could be seen as a “subtle” message to whoever has to officially weigh-in on the AC/Transat transaction... just sayin’...

WestJet Update: 10 May • Schedule to 4 July 2020

From Westjet – 10 May 2020

WESTJET UPDATES SCHEDULE FROM JUNE 5 THROUGH JULY 4, 2020 

WestJet has updated its schedule from June 5 through to July 4, 2020 to address significantly reduced guest demand for air travel while continuing to keep critical economic lifelines open for essential travel and cargo. At this time, WestJet is also extending its temporary transborder and international route suspensions through June 25, 2020. Guests with travel booked after June 5 through July 4, will be proactively notified of their options. Full schedule details are available on westjet.com

It is through the hard work and dedication of teams across WestJet that we continue to provide safe, on-time air travel throughout Canada. We thank all WestJetters and our airport partners for their support during this time. For information on WestJet’s COVID-19 response including health, safety and cleaning protocols, visit the WestJet COVID-19 site here

Domestic route suspensions from June 5 through July 4, 2020 

Market  Previous frequency 
Vancouver – Nanaimo  2x daily 
Vancouver – Comox  1x daily 
Vancouver – Regina  4x weekly 
Vancouver – Saskatoon  1x daily 
Vancouver – Winnipeg  3x daily 
Vancouver – Fort St. John  1x daily 
Vancouver – Cranbrook  1x daily 
Vancouver – Ottawa  2x daily 
Vancouver – Montreal  6 to 13x weekly 
Vancouver – Halifax  6x weekly 
Kelowna – Victoria  12x weekly 
Calgary – Prince George  1x daily 
Calgary – Ottawa  2x daily 
Calgary – Montreal  2x daily 
Calgary – London, ON  1 to 2x daily 
Calgary – Halifax  3x daily 
Calgary – St. John’s  1x daily 
Edmonton – Comox  8x weekly 
Edmonton – Victoria  20x weekly 
Edmonton – Kelowna  7x daily 
Edmonton – Grande Prairie  13x weekly 
Edmonton – Yellowknife  1x daily 
Edmonton – Saskatoon  3x daily 
Edmonton – Regina  3x daily 
Edmonton – Winnipeg  20x weekly 
Edmonton – Ottawa  4x weekly 
Edmonton – Montreal  3x weekly 
Edmonton – Halifax  10x weekly 
Edmonton – St. John’s  4x weekly 
Winnipeg – Ottawa  1x daily 
Winnipeg – Regina  1x daily 
Winnipeg – Halifax  1x daily 
Toronto – Victoria  4x weekly 
Toronto – Regina  10x weekly 
Toronto – Saskatoon  12x weekly 
Halifax – Montreal  2x daily 

The following domestic markets will have a new seasonal start date: 

Market  New start date 
Calgary – Quebec City  6-Jul-20 
Calgary – Charlottetown  5-Jul-20 
Winnipeg – Montreal  5-Jul-20 
Toronto – Kelowna  5-Jul-20 
Toronto – Sydney, NS  5-Jul-20 

WESTJET CARGO DELIVERS FLOWERS FOR MOTHER’S DAY

Onex posts $1.1-billion loss, writes down WestJet stake

Fri May 15, 2020 - The Globe and Mail
by Andrew Willis

Private equity firm Onex Corp. posted a US$1.1-billion loss in the first quarter as it wrote down the value of WestJet Airlines and other holdings due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Toronto-based Onex booked a US$985-million loss on its investment portfolio and an additional $67-million loss on its wealth management platform, Gluskin Sheff. Onex says the decrease in fair value of its investments ranged from declines of between 1 per cent and 77 per cent.

While the company did not break down the value of individual holdings, analysts estimate the value of WestJet has declined by 65 per cent since the buyout firm acquired the airline in December for $3.5-billion. Onex committed $345-million of its own capital to the WestJet acquisition.

Prior to the pandemic-inspired market decline in March, Onex raised US$202-million by selling a portion of its stake in European packaging company SIG Combibloc. In mid-April, Onex announced a major acquisition, agreeing to acquire U.K. medical services firm Independent Clinical Services. Analysts estimate the transaction was valued at US$1.4-billion.

Onex is currently holding US$1.9-billion in cash, and maintained its dividend of 10 cents per subordinate voting share. In a press release, founder and chief executive Gerry Schwartz said: “The most challenging times bring out the best in people. Both within Onex and across businesses in our private equity portfolio, there were countless examples of employees ensuring where possible we could all work from home seamlessly; where not possible, ensuring employees were safe while serving their customers."

WestJet seeks exemption to section of Canada Labour Code covering group terminations

If successful, termination of more than 50 employees won't require 16 weeks' notice or pay in lieu

Thu May 21, 2020 - CBC News
Aaron Saltzman

WestJet is asking for an exemption to the section of the Canada Labour Code covering group terminations.

In a letter to federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi, the airline says it finds itself in "unprecedented circumstances with regards to the coronavirus pandemic and the subsequent decline in air travel prompted by containment measures worldwide."

WestJet says abiding by group termination provisions in the Labour Code would be "unduly prejudicial to the interests of the company's employees and to the company, and are seriously detrimental to the operations of the company's industrial establishments."

The airline also said "measures are already in place to assist redundant employees which have substantially the same or the same effect" as the measures in the applicable section of the code.

Division IX of the Canada Labour Code is applicable if a federally regulated company plans to terminate more than 50 employees during a four-week period. Under those circumstances, certain provisions kick in designed to protect the employees and prevent a flood of people entering the labour market all at once.

Instead of the two weeks' notice required for individuals, Division IX states employees who lose their job during a group termination are entitled to 16 weeks' notice or pay in lieu of that notice.

"Really, that's designed to try to allow people to get things in order," said Philip Graham, a lawyer specializing in employment law at Koskie Minskie law firm in Toronto.

"It also allows the employer and representatives of  the employees the opportunity to sit down and try to minimize the effects of the layoff: Is it possible to perhaps shift employees around, to furlough employees, to put them on a shared work schedule, so that they don't actually end up having to be terminated and entering the market as job seekers."

With group terminations, an employer is also required to co-operate with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission, provide affected employees with a statement of benefits, and establish a joint planning committee.

This is the second time in less than a year that WestJet has asked for an exemption from part of the Canada Labour Code. The previous request was not related to the pandemic.

'Very concerning'

Last August, WestJet asked for exemptions to rules covering the right of employees to refuse overtime, the requirement they be given 24 hours' notice of a shift change, and the mandatory half-hour break for every five hours of work.

"There's no question that this is a very trying time for airlines around the world," said Chris Rauenbusch, president of CUPE 4070, which represents flight attendants and cabin crew members of WestJet, its regional airline Encore and its discount arm, Swoop.

"The union has to be mindful of the operating circumstances, but just to ask for a blind exemption to the Canada Labour Code is certainly something that we view as very concerning," said Rauenbusch.

"To us it seems every time the code gets in the way, WestJet files exemptions to it. And the point of the code is to protect employees; it's not to be negated and bypassed every time an employer has a perceived need."

Rauenbusch says WestJet is trying to bypass the union, which would normally use the 16-week notice to negotiate further for things such as job retraining or new positions within the company.

WestJet laid off about half of its 14,000 workforce in March, and announced last month it would layoff a further 3,000 employees, saying its passenger loads had dropped by more than 95 per cent due to travel restrictions imposed because of the coronavirus outbreak. Since then, the airline has rehired about 6,400 employees with the help of the federal government's wage subsidy program.

In an email to CBC News, WestJet spokesperson Morgan Bell said the airline has not made any decisions to move ahead with terminations.

"An exemption [to the Canada Labour Code] would allow the airline flexibility to act in a timely manner in this rapidly changing and prolonged crisis. This letter is consistent with our respect for government processes and the Labour Code," said Bell. 

An email to the labour minister's office was not returned prior to publication.

the request from WestJet talks of terminations, not layoffs.  Bad choice of words or is terminations what they intend to do?  

(Excerpt from Division IX - Canada Labour Code)

Where employer deemed to terminate employment

(4) Except where otherwise prescribed by regulation, an employer shall, for the purposes of this Division, be deemed to have terminated the employment of an employee where the employer lays off that employee.

WestJet Update: 25 May – Schedule Update

From WestJet

westjet-e1587425867506.png?w=1024

WESTJET’S SUMMER SEASONAL BASE OPERATIONS IMPACTED BY COVID-19 

As the demand for travel remains significantly impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, WestJet has made the difficult decision to suspend service to three seasonal bases. The summer season usually runs from late April through October, however, the start of seasonal service had been pushed back to July 3, 2020 due to COVID-19. 

“Our investments in developing seasonal destinations has been a central component of domestic tourism in these markets,” said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet Chief Commercial Officer. “In these unprecedented times of low demand and with the ask from governments to restrict unnecessary travel, we have made the difficult decision to suspend service at select bases for the 2020 summer season.”  

While record-low demand continues to affect the airline, WestJet remains committed to keeping critical lifelines open for essential travel and goods to its 38 year-round domestic airports. 

“We thank all of our guests, WestJetters and airport partners in these destinations for their support and look forward to the time when we will be bringing leisure and business travellers back into these communities again.” 

Service to all three seasonal destinations is planned to return in 2021. Guests affected by these seasonal suspensions, will be proactively notified of their options. 

The following summer seasonal bases and routes have been suspended: 

Route  Planned Frequency  Status 
Calgary-Whitehorse  4x weekly  Suspended 
Calgary-Windsor  7x weekly  Suspended 
Halifax-Gander  7x weekly  Suspended 

HONOURABLE JASON KENNEY, PREMIER OF ALBERTA AND MINISTER OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, TRADE AND TOURISM, TANYA FIR ADDRESS WESTJETTERS

On Friday afternoon, WestJet welcomed the Honourable Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta and Minister of Economic Development, Trade and Tourism, Tanya Fir to WestJet’s Alberta headquarters. We were pleased the Premier and Minister were able to virtually meet with WestJetters to provide an overview of Alberta’s current situation, actions taken by the government to manage COVID-19, what the path forward looks like and the role WestJet will play in leading Alberta’s economic recovery.

For highlights from the visit please see the following video available for download here. We ask that media please reach out to Government of Alberta with any further questions on the special visit.

BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE

Guests can continue to book new flights with confidence as we’ve extended our flexible change/cancel policies for new bookings until June 30, 2020. More on our current policies available here.

REPATRIATION FLIGHT SCHEDULE

On 4/4/2020 at 8:02 PM, seeker said:

Yeah, good one!  The only problem is that when the CV19 issue is finally resolved we will have to address the economy and it will be a huge issue.

Personally I'm concerned, for purely selfish reasons, that the government is giving vast amounts of money to everyone but I'm one of the few who actually pays taxes - that does not bode well for me. 

Well that aged well.

Now that the airlines and its employees are on the receiving end of my tax dollars,(again) , I hope your appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...

WestJet releases July schedule to get Canadians exploring again

NEWS PROVIDED BY

WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership 

Jun 15, 2020, 09:45 ET

Airline continues to focus on significant safety and hygiene enhancements to ensure a safe travel journey

CALGARY, AB, June 15, 2020 /CNW/ - WestJet today released its updated July schedule, developed to allow Canadians the pleasure of summer travel while economically supporting communities across the country in safely reopening travel and domestic tourism. In addition, the airline has added flights to select U.S. markets.

To ensure guests can book with confidence, the airline maintains its stringent Safety Above All hygiene program and continues to provide flexibility in booking, change and cancellation policies.

"Today's schedule reflects our commitment to orderly and safe travel while providing steps to allow Canadians to get out, explore, and take part in critical economic activities like staying in hotels, eating out, visiting tourist attractions or simply just travelling to see friends and family," said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet Chief Commercial Officer. "Governments and Canadians from coast-to-coast are working together to lessen the impact of this pandemic and we are grateful that these efforts have put us in a position to add more options for travel this July."

From July 5 through August 4, 2020, WestJet will offer operations to 45 destinations including 39 in Canada, five in the U.S. and one in Mexico an increase of approximately 102 per cent more flights from June, but down 76 per cent from July 2019.

Continued von zur Muehlen, "As we emerge from the pandemic, health vigilance must be balanced with the gradual reopening of our economy. WestJet has done our part and spent millions of dollars to ensure the safety and well-being of our guests and our people. We're ready to get Canadians flying."

On March 22, WestJet suspended its international and transborder operations. The airline's schedule now contains flights to key transborder and international destinations including Los Angeles (LAX), Atlanta (ATL) and Las Vegas (LAS).

"Jurisdictions around the world are opening, allowing citizens to begin flying once again which is kickstarting their economies for recovery. We've heard from the communities we serve and look forward to having Canadians safely participate and stimulate domestic tourism this summer," stated von zur Muehlen.

At this time, the airline is planning on operating the following domestic routes and frequencies from July 5  August 4.

ALBERTA AND NORTHWEST TERRITORIES

Calgary-Abbotsford

2x daily

Calgary-Comox

6x weekly

Calgary-Cranbrook

3x weekly

Calgary-Fort St. John

2x daily

Calgary-Kamloops

6x weekly

Calgary-Kelowna

3x daily

Calgary-Nanaimo

6x weekly

Calgary-Penticton

4x weekly

Calgary-Vancouver

7x daily

Calgary-Victoria

2x daily

Calgary-Edmonton

6x daily

Calgary-Fort McMurray

3x daily

Calgary-Grande Prairie

3x daily

Calgary-Lethbridge

3x weekly

Calgary-Lloydminster

2x weekly

Calgary-Medicine Hat

2x weekly

Calgary-Yellowknife

3x weekly

Calgary-Brandon

3x weekly

Calgary-Regina

2x daily

Calgary-Saskatoon

2x daily

Calgary-Winnipeg

3x daily

Calgary-Hamilton

4x weekly

Calgary-Kitchener/Waterloo

2x weekly

Calgary-Toronto

6x daily

Edmonton-Vancouver

3x daily

Edmonton-Kelowna

6x weekly

Edmonton-Victoria

6x weekly

Edmonton-Calgary

6x daily

Edmonton-Fort McMurray

4x weekly

Edmonton-Grande Prairie

5x weekly

Edmonton-Regina

5x weekly

Edmonton-Saskatoon

6x weekly

Edmonton-Winnipeg

6x weekly

Edmonton-Toronto

3x daily

Fort McMurray-Calgary

3x daily

Fort McMurray-Edmonton

4x weekly

Grande Prairie-Calgary

3x daily

Grande Prairie-Edmonton

5x weekly

Lethbridge-Calgary

3x weekly

Lloydminster-Calgary

2x weekly

Medicine Hat-Calgary

2x weekly

Yellowknife-Calgary

3x weekly

BRITISH COLUMBIA AND YUKON

Abbotsford-Calgary

2x daily

Comox-Calgary

6x weekly

Cranbrook-Calgary

3x weekly

Fort St John-Calgary

2x daily

Kamloops-Calgary

6x weekly

Kelowna-Vancouver

1x daily

Kelowna-Calgary

3x daily

Kelowna-Edmonton

6x weekly

Nanaimo-Calgary

6x weekly

Penticton-Calgary

4x weekly

Prince George-Vancouver

2x daily

Terrace-Vancouver

6x weekly

Vancouver-Kelowna

1x daily

Vancouver-Prince George

2x daily

Vancouver-Terrace

6x weekly

Vancouver-Victoria

2x daily

Vancouver-Calgary

7x daily

Vancouver-Edmonton

3x daily

Vancouver-Winnipeg

5x weekly

Vancouver-Toronto

4x daily

Victoria-Vancouver

2x daily

Victoria-Calgary

2x daily

Victoria-Edmonton

6x weekly

ONTARIO

Hamilton-Calgary

4x weekly

Kitchener/Waterloo-Calgary

2x weekly

London, ON-Toronto

4x weekly

Ottawa-Calgary

6x weekly

Ottawa-Toronto

4x daily

Ottawa-Halifax

2x weekly

Thunder Bay-Winnipeg

2x weekly

Thunder Bay-Toronto

4x weekly

Toronto-Vancouver

4x daily

Toronto-Calgary

6x daily

Toronto-Edmonton

3x daily

Toronto-Regina

3x weekly

Toronto-Saskatoon

3x weekly

Toronto-Winnipeg

3x daily

Toronto-London, ON

4x weekly

Toronto-Ottawa

4x daily

Toronto-Thunder Bay

4x weekly

Toronto-Montreal

4x daily

Toronto-Quebec City

3x weekly

Toronto-Charlottetown

2x weekly

Toronto-Deer Lake

4x weekly

Toronto-Fredericton

3x weekly

Toronto-Halifax

3x daily

Toronto-Moncton

3x weekly

Toronto-St. John's (NL)

5x weekly

SASKATCHEWAN AND MANITOBA

Brandon-Calgary

3x weekly

Regina-Calgary

2x daily

Regina-Edmonton

5x weekly

Regina-Toronto

3x weekly

Saskatoon-Calgary

2x daily

Saskatoon-Edmonton

6x weekly

Saskatoon-Winnipeg

2x weekly

Saskatoon-Toronto

3x weekly

Winnipeg-Vancouver

5x weekly

Winnipeg-Calgary

3x daily

Winnipeg-Edmonton

6x weekly

Winnipeg-Saskatoon

2x weekly

Winnipeg-Thunder Bay

2x weekly

Winnipeg-Toronto

3x daily

QUEBEC

Montreal-Calgary

6x weekly

Montreal-Toronto

4x daily

Quebec City-Toronto

3x weekly

ATLANTIC CANADA

Charlottetown-Toronto

2x weekly

Deer Lake-Toronto

4x weekly

Fredericton-Toronto

3x weekly

Halifax-Calgary

6x weekly

Halifax-Ottawa

2x weekly

Halifax-Toronto

3x daily

Halifax- St. John's (NL)

6x weekly

Halifax-Sydney

2x weekly

Moncton-Toronto

3x weekly

St. John's (NL)-Toronto

5x weekly

St. John's (NL)-Halifax

6x weekly

Sydney-Halifax

2x weekly

At this time, the airline is planning on operating the following transborder and international routes from July 5  August 4.

Market

Planned frequency

Vancouver - Los Angeles

4x weekly

Vancouver – Las Vegas

2x weekly

Calgary - Los Angeles

4x weekly

Calgary - Las Vegas

4x weekly

Calgary - Atlanta

1x daily

Toronto – Las Vegas

2x weekly

Toronto - LaGuardia

6x weekly

Toronto - Orlando

1x weekly (starts Jul 11)

Toronto - Cancun

1x weekly (starts Jul 11)

Due to the continued reduction in overall demand, border closures and domestic quarantine requirements that remain in place across the country, the revised schedule also includes temporary domestic route suspensions for July 5-August 4, 2020.

Market

Previous frequency

Vancouver – Nanaimo

2x daily

Vancouver – Comox

1x daily

Vancouver – Regina

4x weekly

Vancouver – Saskatoon

1x daily

Vancouver - Fort St. John

1x daily

Vancouver – Cranbrook

1x daily

Vancouver - Ottawa

2x daily

Vancouver - Montreal

13x weekly

Vancouver - Halifax

6x weekly

Kelowna – Victoria

2x daily

Calgary - Prince George

1x daily

Calgary – London, ON

2x daily

Calgary – Quebec City

4x weekly

Calgary - Charlottetown

4x weekly

Calgary - St. John's

1x daily

Edmonton – Comox

8x weekly

Edmonton – Yellowknife

1x daily

Edmonton - Ottawa

4x weekly

Edmonton - Montreal

3x weekly

Edmonton – Halifax

10x weekly

Edmonton - St. John's

5x weekly

Winnipeg – Regina

1x daily

Winnipeg – Ottawa

1x daily

Winnipeg – Montreal

1x daily

Winnipeg - Halifax

1x daily

Toronto - Victoria

4x weekly

Toronto – Kelowna

1x daily

Toronto – Sydney

6x weekly

Halifax - Montreal

2x daily

I admit this has me scratching my head....

https://www.flyswoop.com/news/swoop-seeks-airport-partners-to-lead-economic-recovery/

Swoop, Canada’s leading Ultra-Low-Cost Carrier (ULCC) and an independently operated subsidiary of the WestJet Group of Companies, today issued a ‘Request for Proposal’ (RFP) seeking strategic airport partners in North and Central America and the Caribbean. The airline is interested in hearing from airports who share an entrepreneurial, consumer-driven mindset to collaborate with the ULCC to stimulate travel and support economic recovery.

“We believe the key to recovery lies in strategic collaboration, creativity and innovation to get travellers moving back through airports and into the skies,” said Charles Duncan, President, Swoop. “We are encouraged by early signs of recovering demand for ultra-low fares and are eager to collaborate with airports across the region to re-think how we, as an industry, approach affordable and accessible air travel.”

Swoop, which operated its first flights on June 20, 2018, remains confident in the long-term prospects for its ULCC business model and future growth. The airline is seeking innovative proposals from airports that understand providing value to travellers through fair fares, and low fees creates demand as well as the importance of travel and tourism in stimulating economic recovery.

Archived