Sign in to follow this  
Kip Powick

Speaking of Flying.....

Just a change of pace from a bit of  the gloom permeating AEF during this virus issue

I know I am dating myself but thought I put this out there. Done by one of the world's premier aviation Artists while I was stationed in KCOS...he just happened to be my neighbour  and had never painted a Canadian Military aircraft.

No frame as I am changing the frame and will donate the painting  to the RCAF museum here in "Dotland".

I also have a much  larger one  done of SMOKY 02 just before touchdown at KCOS (Peterson Field Colorado Springs)

The call sign Smoky 02 was the Military  Cosmo (CV580) permanently stationed at KCOS  and  I was based there for 3 years as the DCINC's pilot. The painting is rather unusual in that you can just see me in the drivers seat and he hid my name in the painting so that if the painting was ever stolen I could prove it was my painting !!

This is the THE HARVARD.......and before you start adding comments like;😂

Is this when you lost control ?

Are you in a spin?

You screwed up the loop, didn't you ??

This is what it would look like if you were watching any aircraft come out near the bottom of a clover leaf. The aircraft would be rolling right , nose coming up and, if done properly ,the aircraft would pass through level flight lined up on a section line on the ground and do three more leafs and complete  a 4 leave clover.

h1.jpg.ca87daf0a513f7aa070091dd12c733de.jpgh2.jpg.b6044e0e39b05992e4b75e8a7ca1ea00.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of flying, and in support of the theme, here’s a quick test for the old and wise. Partial answers don’t count, only respond if you got em all. What does each of the following stand for.... enter through the narrow gate, google won't get you all the way there:

HCTFSO - (individual checklist actions, not the trajectory of a wise friend)

WRACM

GUMCUPS

GICP

WFSO

HS

VP

SHOPS

FLOPS

ISTAR

OTHT

---Answer a week from now if no one gets em....

Edited by Wolfhunter

HCTFSO...T-33 pre takeoff checklist ......... Here Comes The Flight Safety Officer

H = Harness/Hydraulics (harness tight and locked/Hydraulics quantity )

C= Canopy... closed and Locked/controls check

T= Trims set for Take off

F=Fuel/Flaps ...Correct tanks selected on and check quantity / Flaps set for T/O

S= Switches..(.I think )TOE on....Nav aid switches required "ON" 

O = Oxygen selected

Back later...gotta go for my daily walk with the 6 feet or more rule !!!

Edited by Kip Powick
added a couple

GUMCUPS

G - gas..properly selected

U- Undercarriage down

M-Mixture

C- Carb heat on/off

U-..not sure..maybe this was a recheck of Gear/undercarriage... down and locked

P = Prop pitch

S= Switches lights... radar on/off

ISTAR

I think I only used the IS on the ground while briefing and getting the mission stats  and the TAR was mainly for in the air but I guess when put together the IS did come up when remembering the sequence during low level TAC flying.

High Level intercepts were really targeting foreign  "surveillance" aircraft so once the Target was Acquired  we turned into the surveillance aircraft   

I - Intelligence

S - Surveillance

T -Target

A -Acquisition

R -Reconnaissance

Edited by Kip Powick

On 3/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, Kip Powick said:

HCTFSO...T-33 pre takeoff checklist ......... Here Comes The Flight Safety Officer

All correct.... I'm not a T33 guy so not sure about that, it was definitely used on the Tutor though.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:04 PM, Kip Powick said:

U-..not sure..maybe this was a recheck of Gear/undercarriage... down and locked

Right again. It's a catchall check favoured by some old school bush pilots. The second U was indeed a recheck of undercarriage which includes ski position and water rudders selected as required. ISTAR is correct too... it's the younger cousin of OTHT which is "over the horizon targeting" 

Heritage museum fuels passion for warplanes

From historic aircraft to flight simulators, centre is a must-see for all ages

img?regionKey=yHSbUxiw7etWrWJeuj653Q%3d%3dDREAMSTIME Located at the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum currently houses almost 50 aircraft, many in flying condition that are used in airshows, film productions and private flights.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is a fascinating and educational destination  The museum is closed for now but here is the goto for the web sight. https://www.warplane.com/

Although it’s called the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, it is not just about warplanes. Founded in 1972, it is a privately owned, non-profit aviation museum whose mandate is to acquire, preserve and maintain a complete collection of aircraft flown by Canadians and the Canadian military from the beginning of the Second World War to the present.

The museum is located at the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and features propeller-driven trainers, a flying boat, transport planes, spotters, fighters, bombers, a Bell helicopter and the cockpit of a Boeing 727. It currently houses almost 50 aircraft, many in flying condition that are used in airshows, film productions and private flights. Museum members can pay a fee to enjoy a flight in many of these airworthy historic planes.

Among the airworthy aircraft are a 1939 Douglas DC-3 Dakota, a 1941 de Havilland DH.82C Tiger Moth, a1942 Boeing PT-17 Stearman, a 1943 Fairchild Cornell Mk. II, a 1944 Consolidated Canso PBY-5A flying boat, a 1945 Avro Lancaster Mk. X, a 1945 North American B-25J Mitchell Mk. III, a 1946 Beechcraft Expeditor, a 1950 Noorduyn Norseman Mk. V, a 1951 North American Harvard Mk. IV and a1956 de Havilland Canada DHC-1B-2-S5 Chipmunk.

Fighters on display include a 1958 Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck, a 1960 de Havilland DH.100 Vampire FB.6, a 1970 Northrop CF-5A Freedom Fighter and a Lockheed CF-104 Starfighter. The museum is also restoring several Second World War and Cold War aircraft. Museum curators also seek to preserve artifacts, books, periodicals and manuals relating to their aircraft.

The Avro Lancaster flown by the museum is one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world. Named the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster, in honour of P/O Andrew Charles (Andy) Mynarski, VC, it is painted in the markings of his aircraft. In the summer of 2014, the museum flew the “Mynarski’s Lanc” to England, where it joined the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s Lancaster for a twomonth tour of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. The tour was witnessed by millions and was filmed for the documentary DVD Reunion of Giants.

In the Kid Zone, young wouldbe pilots can pick their simulated aircraft — a Chipmunk trainer, the Lancaster bomber, the supersonic CF-101 Voodoo jet — and take off from Hamilton International Airport for a smooth, easy flight or one full of loops and rolls.

Even experienced pilots enjoy the Air Combat Zone’s F-18 Hornet flight simulators. You’ll be amazed at the realistic cockpit when you climb aboard an Air Combat Zone simulator and settle into the ejection seat — l i ve instrumentation, head-up display, replica HOTAS throttle and stick, and the big-screen view of the world outside.

The Air Combat Zone experience includes a pre-flight briefing to give you the instruction you need to survive in your cyber battle. You also receive mission support from staff in the control tower — it’s “as close as you can get to the real thing without joining the Air Force!”

For more information on the hours of operations and closures (note that the museum is closed until further notice in light of concerns surrounding the coronavirus), or to learn about the weeklong summer camp for kids ages 9-11 in July, visit warplane.com.

Adapted excerpt taken from “Unforgettable Ontario: 100 Destinations” by Noel Hudson, with permission from Firefly Books.

Edited by Malcolm
edited to note that the museum is closed for now

Possible reality...but hopefully not in my lifetime 🙄

ScreenShot002.jpg.9770ebda11d385254de52e028b113598.jpg

Been there (Hamilton) ...lots of memories..

The RCAF museum  in Trenton is about 6 minutes off the 401,(Trenton ON),  and when it is open it is another good experience..

Edited by Kip Powick
updated info

Hey Schooner69.

As you no doubt have already ascertained.....the trip is cancelled until October.....😰

For those of you who don't know....the pilot in that plane, which he built, was my high speed aerodynamics instructor when I went through jet pilot training and some, (well actually one guy),  have said he was a crack shot on the F86....with gun cam film to prove it 😂

And no , I have no idea why he is attempting to land on what looks a  storage lockers roof 🤣

His account of punching out of one of those F86’s is a good read.

The lack of wheel pants gives away that this was the first flight of the aircraft.  

Nine years a-building and now coming up on the fifth year anniversary of the first flight and over 500 hours total time.

The attached is me and my brother coming out of Grand Forks BC after a pancake breakfast a few years ago...  Also shows now fitted with wheel pants.

Grand Forks - 2016.jpg

Rich:  indeed it does.  

You keep taking parts from the boxes and turning them into pieces until you run out of parts.  Then you start putting pieces together and turning them into components until you run out of pieces.  And then you look at all the components and realize that it's time to get out of the garage and buy a hangar big enough to assemble the airplane!

Great fun and a great learning experience...

John

• Like 3