Stable Genius bans EU-USA flights for 30 days

FA@AC

But flights to and from the UK will still be allowed to operate.  What a doofus.

No clarity yet (how surprising!) on whether EU nationals will be denied entry to The Land of the Free should they arrive via a third country.

The news outlets first reported that there would be a ban on flights.  Most are now reporting it as a ban on entry, but not a forced suspension of airline operations.  This version seems consistent with the DHS press release.

47 minutes ago, FA@AC said:

Update:

Not just a ban on flights.  Most non-Americans will be denied entry to the USA within 14 days of having been in Europe.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

Technically, it's not even a ban on flights. It could also apply to entry via land borders.

So a sick American can be admitted, but not a healthy European or Canadian just back from Europe?

Edited by dagger

26 minutes ago, dagger said:

Technically, it's not even a ban on flights. It could also apply to entry via land borders.

So a sick American can be admitted, but not a healthy European or Canadian just back from Europe?

As I now read it there is actually no ban on flights.  The Doofus wasn't clear in his speech, so the news outlets first reported it as that.  

And yes, I assume that an American will be able to re-enter the country without the need to self-quarantine or anything, while a healthy individual of any other nationality arriving from the same destination will be denied entry.  This wisdom from the government that doesn't even have the capacity to test people.

Edited by FA@AC

CNN is now reporting on their website headlines that Trump "misrepresented" his own travel ban in his speech thus causing confusion.  It now seems clear that there's no ban on flights, just heavy restrictions on US entry. 

He had no choice. They had to do something to limit new opportunities for infection but it's not going to be enough. The initial handling of early cases was woefully inadequate because they didn't have testing in place, so community spread became a reality in a matter of days. China figured out that zonal quarantines are the only way to put a lid on the spread. Parts of Northern Seattle and New Rochelle, N.Y. should have already been locked down.

It was determined that the virus was communicable for 8 days or more before any symptoms become evident.  The spread will worsen just like in Wuhan before it gets better no matter what action they take now.

25 minutes ago, boestar said:

It was determined that the virus was communicable for 8 days or more before any symptoms become evident.  The spread will worsen just like in Wuhan before it gets better no matter what action they take now.

Exactly, there are huge lineups of Americans rushing back to the US to beat the ban - because they think it applies to them. Some those who as asymptomatic carriers are just pushing more virus into the US in a surge. The whole game plan for defeating the virus is to reduce its acceleration in any given community, taking longer for it to peak so the health care system and work force can better cope, i.e. to avoid what Italy in particular is going through

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

So how long until airlines involk force majeure?  

I’m starting to think an unpaid leave might be in my future.

I guess it'll depend on how long the airlines expect the current downturn to last.  The process of staff reductions can be expensive in itself.

I'm surprised not yet to have heard announcements of capacity reductions from the Canadian Airlines such as those coming from the USA, Europe, Asia and Australia.  WestJet, I believe, made an unspecific announcement of retrenchment yesterday.  AC has scaled back considerably but has so far only announced reductions one by one as routes are suspended.

13 hours ago, FA@AC said:

CNN is now reporting on their website headlines that Trump "misrepresented" his own travel ban in his speech thus causing confusion.  It now seems clear that there's no ban on flights, just heavy restrictions on US entry. 

Seems the "unstable genius" has again "opened mouth and changed feet!"

A typical knee reaction by a jerk ?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, J.O. said:

It was just announced that the stable genius is being tested for the virus. I doubt even a positive test would change his ridiculous tune.

the test came back "negative" in less than 24 hours.

The test takes at a minimum of 48 hours for a result and normal times are 72 hours.

boestar, I don't know where you got that info.  If a lab capable of processing a test is in town, results are available within 6 hours.  We are seeing this turnaround in my city.  The longer waits are for tests that need to be sent to a centralised lab, still the case in many US cities but I guess the Donald got first class treatment.

That said, if indeed the tests were negative, that would be a rare statement of fact from that idiot.

Vs

• Like 1

Regardless of who's in office, if the President can't get access to accelerated medical tests then their health system is even more screwed up than I thought. So I'm willing to consider this a rare moment of veracity from Trump and move on.

Had his test been a positive, would Alec Baldwin have been called in to do a real-life version of the movie "Dave"?

Edited by J.O.

1 hour ago, Vsplat said:

boestar, I don't know where you got that info.  If a lab capable of processing a test is in town, results are available within 6 hours.  We are seeing this turnaround in my city.  The longer waits are for tests that need to be sent to a centralised lab, still the case in many US cities but I guess the Donald got first class treatment.

That said, if indeed the tests were negative, that would be a rare statement of fact from that idiot.

Vs

because my mother in law was tested on Friday and is expecting the results today.  She is a medical professional.

I'm not sure of the city, but in our area, Friday was a special case in a couple of places due to reduced lab pickup schedules and no scheduled weekend service.  I know a doc in our area that was similarly affected, they were sidelined as a result.  Tests on Thursday morning knew by suppertime.  I imagine there will be a backlog on testing shortly, if not already, but the test itself doesn't need more than several hours now.

FWIW

Vs