Tour through the Mojave salvage yard...

I can't stand to see a dead 747 there like that so maybe if I had the sound on for the full 20 minutes I'd know why the planes that won't ever be flying again end up there? 

Do the airlines sell the hulk to to the owner for scrap or does the owner of the field take the hulk in exchange for salvage rights? 

12 hours ago, Specs said:

I can't stand to see a dead 747 there like that so maybe if I had the sound on for the full 20 minutes I'd know why the planes that won't ever be flying again end up there? 

Do the airlines sell the hulk to to the owner for scrap or does the owner of the field take the hulk in exchange for salvage rights? 

The 747 became uneconomical to operate with the large efficient twins of this era.

The airlines retire them and park them there.  I have no idea what financial arrangement is made but they are stripped of anything worth money (avionics, engines and other components) which are all then sold on the open market or returned to the airline to use as spares depending on the situation.  I am sure the airline pays the company to strip all of the components for them.  Essentially its a chop shop operation parting out aircraft.

Many time with private aircraft they end up here because they are not properly maintained and eventually get repossessed.  The bank sees no  decent return with having to spend millions to get the aircraft back into shape when they can part it out to recover their losses.  yes its a shame but its no different that parting out a car or motorcycle that is otherwise operational.

Archived