NEXUS Renewal, is 90 days enough?

Super 80

When I got my renewal notice in late November, I sent in my request and payment for renewal (my current one expires in May.)  My account says it's approved but still in process. There is a notice on the site about a six month extension.  They are also hiring staff to deal with the backlog.

6 hours ago, Geminoid said:

There is a notice on the site about a six month extension.

I couldn't find that when I went looking for it, it now just says something now about residents of New York state being ineligible.

Edited by Super 80

It should take 2-3 weeks. I waited almost 3 months and then went to the nexus office and asked how long it should take. They checked my application on file and processed me right away. In 2 weeks I had my card. No explanation on why it was hung up.

9 hours ago, Super 80 said:

I couldn't find that when I went looking for it, it now just says something now about residents of New York state being ineligible.

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

Obviously out of date data but FWIW, my last routine renewal was submitted Aug 24 2018.  New card was received Nov 19 so processing took nearly 90 days.  

• 4 weeks later...

I applied in September for renewals of my wife’s and my own Nexus cards.  Mine was to expire in December 2019 and my wife’s in early March.  I got a new card in a few weeks.  My wife is still waiting.  Both were approved almost immediately.  Who knows how they work.  Not going anywhere for awhile, anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2020 at 10:20 AM, Rich Pulman said:

FWIW, I applied for renewal on March 10th and received notification that it had been approved on March 20th. Have not yet received a new card. Let's see how long that will take given the state of the world at the moment. Standby.....

Just received the new card today. Less than seven weeks from renewal application. Not too bad!

• 4 months later...

Wed Sep 16, 2020

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) would like to provide you with a number of updates.

First, the CBSA would like to inform you that in response to the global pandemic of COVID-19, all NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres are temporarily closed.

As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be postponed. Applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume joint enrollment operations. The date of re-opening is continually assessed in light of current travel restrictions and we invite you to visit the CBSA website for updates.

To reschedule your NEXUS or FAST interview appointment, please log into your online Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System account. NEXUS and FAST members who submitted an application for membership renewal prior to the expiry date on the card will maintain their membership for 18 months beyond the expiry date.

Second, the Vancouver Urban Enrollment Centre for NEXUS and FAST interviews will not be re-opening to the public once COVID-19 restrictions are eased. Interviews may be scheduled at any of the other enrollment centres after they re-open, including at the nearby Vancouver International Airport or in Birch Bay, Washington.

Finally, as part of Canada’s efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, all travellers – including those on exempt travel – are required to provide specific information upon entry into Canada. The recently launched ArriveCAN app enables you to submit your information up to 48 hours prior to your arrival. It reduces physical contact for a safer, faster border process. You can download it on your mobile device through the App Store or Google Play

You are on exempt travel if you are entering Canada to provide: trade or transport services; essential services; cross-border services or medical services. If you have previously provided any of these services, but are now entering Canada for other reasons, you are not on exempt travel.

All travellers – excluding those on exempt travel – are required to isolate or quarantine for 14 days after entering Canada. At the border, you will need to provide details on where you will be quarantining. After crossing the border, you will need to check-in with the Public Health Agency of Canada about your symptoms, and confirm you are sticking with your quarantine plan. The ArriveCAN app will enable you to also submit this information.

Visit Current border measures and requirements for information about how COVID-19 is affecting travellers, border services, programs and business.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate

Canada Border Services Agency

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Court rules NEXUS cards can't be cancelled for minor rules infractions

Hundreds of people are kicked out of the NEXUS trusted traveller program each year

He cited an incident in Toronto where someone's card was cancelled because the sesame seeds on a bagel were a technical violation of Canadian agricultural rules.

nexusrevoke.jpg.394ec21adc6285c7e4a1a3adff1fe216.jpg

"Until this case, it was game over if you were a NEXUS card holder"

A CBP guy once joked to me that the only reason the Global Entry and Nexus rules were so strict was to make the agricultural inspectors get off their asses at least a couple times a day to inspect bagged nuts from Costco.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, jump seat said:

Just applied for my Nexus renewal... Any new updates on how long it should take to get it processed?

Thanks

I sent in mine and got an email about 10 days later saying they are extending the graced period to one year . You should get a personal email explaining how the system has changed..

I applied for my renewal last fall, before it expired….paid my $50 fee….. The only confirmation I received was my $50 being reci’d and debited. Logged in to the DHS website to check my account to find application “in process”

As a caution, do not expect to use your card (if renewal in process and past expiry date). I phoned our local CBP office to talk with an officer to clarify of Nexus use as I had heard of some people getting their card seized at the border. He said it is a bit of a gray area and depends on the officer you are dealing with.

Caveat emptor.

15 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I sent in mine and got an email about 10 days later saying they are extending the graced period to one year . You should get a personal email explaining how the system has changed..

Thanks - mine expired about 6 months ago.

A slight oversight on my part 

I unfortunately let mine expire by a month.

Filled out and paid for renewal August 29, 2021.

Still nothing back, check the website pretty much every week for notification.

Nada so far.