Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

First one flew commercial 12 years ago and now they are getting scrapped up to be scrapped

Airbus A380: World's largest passenger plane lands in Ireland at Knock

The A380, capable of carrying over 800 passengers, will now be dissembled by Eirtrade Aviation Limited

The Airbus A380 landing at Ireland West Knock on February 20, 2020.

The Airbus A380 landing at Ireland West Knock on February 20, 2020.

Pól Ó Conghaile

February 21 2020 04:59 PM

An Airbus A380 touched down at Ireland West Airport yesterday - the world's largest passenger aircraft, and the largest ever to land at Knock.

The double-decker plane was delivered to Eirtrade Aviation Limited, a global technical assets services and trading company, which has a facility at the airport.   

The world's largest passenger airliner, Airbus A380, landed at Ireland West Airport in Knock this week.

With a capacity for 868 passengers, the Airbus A380 has become an iconic 21st century aircraft. This one, a former Air France plane, took off from Germany and will be parked and stored at Ireland West Airport.

There, it will be disassembled.

Last year, Airbus has announced that it would end production of its flagship superjumbo, just 12 years after it entered commercial service.

The firm said it had made the “painful” decision after struggling to sell the world’s largest passenger jet and after Emirates chose to slash its A380 orderbook by around a quarter.

Deliveries of the iconic double-decker will cease in 2021 - however, it is likely to remain in service and draw plane-spotters to airports for years to come.

Eirtrade has completed similar disassembly projects on Boeing 737 and 757 series aircraft, as well as Airbus A320 aircraft at Ireland West.

Its business is expected to lead to similar projects in the near term for the facility at Ireland West - which recently completed the rehabilitation and overlay of its main, 2,400m runway and has received zoning approval for a Strategic Development Zone, the airport said in a statement.

The Airport Board is continuing discussions with Government and stakeholders with regards to the construction of a large hangar facility that would support the further development of aircraft disassembly, repair and maintenance at Knock, it says.

Online Editors 

image.png

Breaking: Air France Retires All Of Its Airbus A380 Aircraft

Air France has today announced the retirement of its nine remaining Airbus A380 aircraft. The French flag carrier had already intended on a 2022 retirement prior to the outbreak of the current pandemic.

Air France, Airbus A380, Retirement Air France today pulled the plug on the Airbus A380 program. Photo: Getty Images

It’s become quite clear that the Airbus A380 is a less than ideal aircraft. Given its size, it must be largely filled in order to be economically viable.

Air France had previously communicated that it would study an early retirement of the giant of the skies when it last released its financial results. Unfortunately for some, today the airline finally pulled the plug on the Airbus A380 fleet.

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-airbus-a380-retirement/?utm_source=pop

I wonder if their is a possibility of a conversion to freighter? The lifting capacity is huge and with so many getting parked you'd get spares and engines for peanuts.

25 minutes ago, mrlupin said:

I wonder if their is a possibility of a conversion to freighter? The lifting capacity is huge and with so many getting parked you'd get spares and engines for peanuts.

Lots of talk about that on other forums and it seems there a couple of major problems:

1. the passenger compartment floors would have to be strengthened.

2. no east access to either of the passenger compartments so the hull would need to be breached on each level to accommodate a Cargo Door capable of accepting ULDS and a unloading unit would have to be sized to reach both former passenger decks.

3. I have yet to see any size numbers re the ULD size that would be accommodated on either of the two former passenger decks, here is what Emirates publishes for their A380 belly compartments. 

4. image.png.b536ef04377716677dd69d43f6ffe332.png

5.. And I guess the final problem would be the cost of any conversion and certifications. 

Evidently though  Lufthansa Technik is working on a partial conversion: https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/a380-finally-lands-freighter-role-with-lht-modification/138247.article

There was a design specification for a cargo config during the development phase but when their launch customer pulled the plug (FedEx / UPS???), that was the end of it.

I remember reading "somewhere that Airbus had to sell 250 A-380s to break even given the R and D and present day cost to build.

The only stat I have seen now is reference 2019....242 built

Turn that behemoth into a freighter and watch cargo yields fall apart.

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

Lots of talk about that on other forums and it seems there a couple of major problems:

1. the passenger compartment floors would have to be strengthened.

2. no east access to either of the passenger compartments so the hull would need to be breached on each level to accommodate a Cargo Door capable of accepting ULDS and a unloading unit would have to be sized to reach both former passenger decks.

3. I have yet to see any size numbers re the ULD size that would be accommodated on either of the two former passenger decks, here is what Emirates publishes for their A380 belly compartments. 

4. image.png.b536ef04377716677dd69d43f6ffe332.png

5.. And I guess the final problem would be the cost of any conversion and certifications. 

Evidently though  Lufthansa Technik is working on a partial conversion: https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/a380-finally-lands-freighter-role-with-lht-modification/138247.article

Another limited factor are the airports able to handle the machine. 15 years ago, operating out of Gatwick, a walkway was built near the south terminal (if I recall) where aircraft would go underneath. They neglected to built it high enough to accommodate the 380 which was close to its inaugural launch.

12 hours ago, Vsplat said:

The A380 is like the Mirabel of the skies.

Vs

Only if they change the name to B777X. 

The fact that not one US carrier purchased this beast speaks volumes about its design. Only a handful of airports were able to handle it’s weight and size. Definitely a ‘Mirabel’.  Another unwanted. 

I sure saw a lot of them in places like LHR, CDG, HKG, SIN, ICN, and PEK. Not uncommon to see five or six from different companies all at the same time in those places.

As an aside...always wanted to fly the 47...380, not so much..always thought it was kinda fugly..

5 hours ago, Rich Pulman said:

I sure saw a lot of them in places like LHR, CDG, HKG, SIN, ICN, and PEK. Not uncommon to see five or six from different companies all at the same time in those places.

Same here. For those carriers and their slot times it was a good fit.