Coronavirus_2020.01.28

Jaydee

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/healthcare-workers-burnout-1.6492889

Now, lets fire all the nurses that aren't triple vaccinated. 

The MBA crew never moves on these issues fast enough to avoid injuring themselves. Attrition, retention, recruiting and training in occupations that are experience based with long training times requires an attention to detail that is clearly lacking. Operational tempo can become enemy number one with astounding rapidity.

A personal observation, anecdotal at best, and tempered with the fact that I (and they) are now in an older demographic.... but 

The number of acquaintances, friends, neighbours, relatives and colleagues, keeling over with strokes, blood clots, heart attacks, cancer and miscarriages is more than I've ever seen before. It seems statistically at odds with my small circle and all are/were (at least) double vaxxed. 

Either this is the leading edge of the nightmare scenario or it's some sort of horrid/perverse statistical catchup that hopefully will end soon.   

Edited by Wolfhunter

On 6/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, Wolfhunter said:

A personal observation, anecdotal at best, and tempered with the fact that I (and they) are now in an older demographic.... but 

The number of acquaintances, friends, neighbours, relatives and colleagues, keeling over with strokes, blood clots, heart attacks, cancer and miscarriages is more than I've ever seen before. It seems statistically at odds with my small circle and all are/were (at least) double vaxxed. 

Either this is the leading edge of the nightmare scenario or it's some sort of horrid/perverse statistical catchup that hopefully will end soon.   

I have no personal knowledge from anyone in my family or circle of friends that died from Covid. There are 3 that fir into that category who have died either suddenly or in their sleep. In the one case a very active athletic 48 year old was playing baseball, (hit a triple and a double in the game) walked back to the bench and keeled over dead.

Here is an article that resonates with me and it might with you - then again maybe not. I haven't been much of a follower of this guy but this article does resonate with my own observations.

The Latest Tragedy: Sudden Adult Death Syndrome

BY JOSEPH MERCOLA TIMEJUNE 20, 2022 PRINT

Media outlets around the world have started highlighting a medical phenomenon called ‘sudden adult death syndrome’ – people dying with no sign of illness or underlying health condition. They simply collapse during the day or don’t wake up in the morning. While SADS has been known to occur before, what’s alarming is the sudden surge of this previously rare event

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

In recent weeks, media outlets around the world have started highlighting a medical phenomenon called “sudden adult death syndrome,” or SADS, in what appears to be a clear effort to obscure the reality of COVID jab deaths. Sad on steroids indeed.

Underlying factors for SADS include undiagnosed myocarditis, inflammatory conditions and other conditions that cause irregularities in the electrical system of the heart, thereby triggering cardiac arrest.

While SADS has been known to occur previously, what’s new is the prevalence of this previously rare event. In Australia, the Melbourne Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute is setting up a new SADS registry “to gain more information” about the phenomenon.

Data compiled by the International Olympic Committee show 1,101 sudden deaths in athletes under age 35 between 1966 and 2004, giving us an average annual rate of 29, across all sports. Meanwhile, between March 2021 and March 2022 alone—a single year—at least 769 athletes have suffered cardiac arrest, collapse, and/or have died on the field, worldwide.

Among EU FIFA (football/soccer ball) athletes, sudden death increased by 420 percent in 2021. Historically, about five soccer players have died while playing the game each year. Between January and mid-November 2021, 21 FIFA players died from sudden death.

SADS is also short for “sudden arrhythmic death syndrome,”1 which was first identified in 1977. Underlying factors for SADS (both the sudden adult death and sudden arrhythmic versions) include undiagnosed myocarditis, inflammatory conditions and other conditions that cause irregularities in the electrical system of the heart, thereby triggering cardiac arrest.2,3,4 While SADS has been known to occur before, what’s new is the prevalence of this previously rare event.

Historical Prevalence of SADS

According to the British Heart Association, there are about 500 cases of SADS in the UK each year.5 The British Office for National Statistics, on the other hand, show far fewer cases.6 The ONS lists a total of 128 cases of SADS (all age groups, whether listed as cardiac-related or unknown) in 2016, 77 cases in 2017, 70 in 2018, 107 in 2019 and 139 cases in 2020.

While data on SADS incidence for 2021 and 2022 are hard to come by, incidence has apparently risen sufficiently enough to cause concern in some countries. Before the pandemic, SADS was the acronym for sudden arrhythmia death syndrome, which was rare and with scant research on it except to mention that it accounted for about 30 percent of unexpected cardiac deaths among young people.7

But today, it’s no longer rare and SADS is virtually on steroids as the numbers of sudden deaths in young adults pile up around the world. The numbers are so concerning that in Australia, for example, the Melbourne Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute is setting up a new SADS registry “to gain more information” about the phenomenon.8,9

According to a spokesperson, there are approximately 750 SADS cases per year in Australia. In the U.S., the average annual death toll from SADS is said to be around 4,000.10

Since the rollout of the COVID jabs, the news has been chockful of reports of young, healthy and often athletic people dying “for no reason” and doctors claim to be “baffled” by it. Doctors and scientists in Australia are even urging everyone under the age of 40 to get their hearts checked, even if they’re healthy and fit.11

Any thinking person, on the other hand, can clearly see the correlation between the shots, which are now well-known for their ability to cause heart inflammation, and the rise in sudden death among young and healthy people.

Hundreds of Athletes Have Collapsed and Died Post-Jab

Among athletes, sudden death incidence has historically ranged between 1 in 40,000 and 1 in 80,000.12 An analysis13 of deaths among competitive athletes between 1980 and 2006 in the U.S. identified a total of 1,866 cases where an athlete either collapsed from cardiac arrest and/or died suddenly. That’s 1,866 cases occurring over a span of 27 years, giving us an annual average of 69 in the U.S.

Data14 compiled by the International Olympic Committee show 1,101 sudden deaths in athletes under age 35 between 1966 and 2004, giving us an average annual rate of 29 sudden deaths, across all sports. Meanwhile, between March 2021 and March 2022 alone — a single year — at least 769 athletes have suffered cardiac arrest, collapse, and/or have died on the field, worldwide.15

Good Sciencing, which is keeping a running total of athletic deaths post-jab puts the current number of cardiac arrests at 1,090 and total deaths at 715.16 Several dozen more are pending confirmation that the athlete had in fact received the shot.

Among EU FIFA (football/soccer ball) athletes, sudden death increased by 420 percent in 2021.17 Historically, about five soccer players have died while playing the game each year. Between January and mid-November 2021, 21 FIFA players died from sudden death.

COVID Jab Clearly Associated With Heart Injury

An opinion piece in Frontiers in Sports and Active Living, published in April 2022, highlights the correlation between COVID jab-induced heart inflammation and sudden cardiac death in athletes:18

“Increased COVID-related SCD [sudden cardiac death] appears to be due, at least in part, to a recent history of infection and/or vaccination that induces inflammatory and immune impairment that injures the heart.

An unhealthy lifestyle that may include poor diet or overtraining may likely be a contributing factor. The seeming increased incidence of myocarditis and pericarditis during COVID-19 and in the post-vaccination period, and SCD, poses a serious risk to not only athletes but all others and is a cause for alarm.

As the population ages and the popularity of running, cycling, and other endurance sports increases, the burden of SCD risk can potentially grow as well. A strong focus on both health and fitness should be a loud and clear public health message.”

The Signal That Cannot Be Silenced

In a June 13, 2022, Substack article, Dr. Pierre Kory also commented on this latest effort to explain away COVID jab deaths:19

“I recently posted a deeply referenced compilation20 of evidence detailing the historic humanitarian catastrophe that has slowly unfolded within most advanced health economies across the world. Caused by a global mass vaccination campaign led by the Pharma masters of BMGF/WHO/CDC that illogically (but profitably) targeted a rapidly mutating coronavirus.

They did it with what turned out to be the most toxic protein used therapeutically in the history of medicine. In vials mixed with lipid nano-particles, polyethylene glycol and who knows what else.

I cited studies and reports showing massive increases in cardiovascular deaths and neurologic (and other) disabilities amongst working age adults, beginning in 2021 only.

A disturbing signal screaming from the original clinical trials data,21 VAERS data,22 life insurance data,23 disability data,24 reports of cardiac arrests of professional athletes,25 rises in ambulance calls for cardiac arrests in pre-heart attack age young people,26 and the massive increases in illnesses and data manipulations27 in Department of Defense databases.

As these events become more and more recognized by the average citizen (and occasional journalist), a new pathetic ‘Disinformation Campaign’ was launched in response trying to blame all the young people dying as simply a need for increased awareness of the rare condition called Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS), rather than examples of the legions dying from the vaccines.

The fact checkers also came out in support of this narrative, branding anyone who thinks the vaccines are the cause of SADS as a conspiracy theorist …

What is nauseating is the tone of purported good intention within these articles, informing folks that if you are related to someone young who died suddenly you should go see a cardiologist to make sure you don’t have an abnormal EKG.

After it turns out normal, they will assuredly tell you to get vaccinated, an absurdity atop a mountain of absurdities caused by our bio-medical-media industrial complex over the past 2+ years.”

Diseases ‘Suppressed by COVID’ Make Comebacks

Media are also trying to write off increases of other diseases as something other than COVID jab-related. “Diseases Suppressed During COVID Are Coming Back in New and Peculiar Ways,” CNBC reported June 10, 2022.28

The article goes on to discuss how viruses other than SARS-CoV-2 are now “rearing their heads in new and unusual ways.” Influenza, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), adenovirus, tuberculosis and monkeypox have all “spiked and exhibited strange behaviors in recent months,” CNBC notes.

No mention is made, however, of the fact that the COVID jab has been linked to vaccine-acquired immunodeficiency (lowered immune function), rendering you more susceptible to infections and chronic diseases of all kinds, including autoimmune diseases.29 MIT research scientist Stephanie Seneff explains the mechanisms for this in “COVID Vaccines and Neurodegenerative Disease.”

The COVID jab has also been shown to activate latent viruses, including hepatitis C,30 cytomegalovirus,31 varicella-zoster32 and herpes viruses.33 Not surprisingly, Moderna is now working on a new vaccine for “latent cytomegalovirus prevention.”34

This is yet another case of a drug company creating a “remedy” against a health problem their own product was responsible for creating in the first place. CNBC, meanwhile, cites “health experts” who attribute lowered immunity to COVID lockdowns, mask wearing and missed childhood vaccinations.35

Amputations of arms, legs, fingers and toes — consequences of post-jab blood clots — are also being written off as something else.36 In this case, media are blaming it on high cholesterol,37 totally ignoring the fact that high cholesterol has been prevalent for decades, and only now are people losing their extremities in shocking numbers.

Spikes in blood clots and strokes, meanwhile, are being blamed on smoking, pregnancy and contraceptives,38 even though blood clots and strokes are among the most common side effects of the COVID jab. Most ridiculous of all, however, is the claim that a “newly-discovered, highly reactive” chemical in the earth’s atmosphere is suspected of triggering heart disease.39

To anyone with half a brain, it’s clear that government authorities and media are doing everything they can to shift blame away from what is the most obvious culprit, namely the COVID shots.

All the diseases and conditions they’re now blaming on everything from cholesterol to mysterious atmospheric chemicals are known side effects of the jab. The elephant in the room is so gigantic, you can’t even get around it anymore. It’s pressing us against the walls.

Nursing Reports From the Frontlines

In his June 13, 2022, Substack article,40 Kory also shares insider information from a senior ICU and ER nurse who suffered blood clotting injuries, spontaneous unstoppable bleeding and cervical lymph node enlargement following her second Pfizer dose.

She filed a report with the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), which has since vanished. The batch numbers for the shots she received were associated with bad neurological responses and clotting. She also lost her hematologist-oncologist to vaccine injury.

While only in his early 40s, he’s now too injured to practice. “He was a ‘true believer’ and in denial until it was him who was the injured patient,” she told Kory.

The major cancer hospital where she works now have caseloads “in the thousands,” she says, whereas before the average caseload was between 250 and 400 in any given quarter. They don’t even have enough beds or infusion space to treat them all, and radiation treatments are backlogged.

All kinds of cancers are showing up — brain, lymph, stomach, pancreas, blood and even EYE cancers, “especially in younger people recently vaxxed.” Strokes are also “way up” in people with no risk factors or comorbidities. In an email to Kory, she wrote:41

“Ask me anything. I’ll tell you inside scoop from the floors and suites. This has to stop. They need to admit the fraud and crime and STOP. The liability must be lifted, mandates ended. They KNOW NOW and many KNEW THEN.

Don’t know if you’ll even read this, but I follow all of you on substack and Twitter — those not banned yet! — and read ALL the data. I’ve been a lab rat myself from an issue from a car accident years back — I know the process. So much fraud.”

In a follow-up email, the unnamed nurse continued:

“Lost 4 practitioners to serious side effects of ‘strongly encouraged’ boosters. 2 hospitalized, one in MICU … All in early 30s to mid-40s. They had no need for boosters … All had COVID previous, N antibodies fully measurable.”

Cardiac Anomalies Abound

Her colleagues in the cardiac unit also report “many anomalies … that never existed before,” including massive thrombi that fill the entire artery. Some embalmers have documented this never-before-seen phenomenon.42 They also can barely keep up with the unprecedented number of cardiac arrests. Kory writes:43

“She told me … that on some night shifts, nurse teams are seeing more cardiac arrests in a single shift than ever before and in unprecedented younger age patients.

On some shifts, they have had so many that the ‘crash carts’ are rolled straight from one arrest to another because pharmacy, especially on night shifts, are not able to re-stock fast enough. This situation has happened maybe once in my whole career, when two arrests happened on the same floor or unit within a short time period.”

And, while medical staff still are not speaking out publicly, the reality of the situation appears to be dawning inside the hospital walls, in private conversations between staff. Even there, however, nurses speak in code for fear of reprisal, referring to COVID jab injuries only as “that issue.”

The nurse pointed out that, now, the vaccination status is clearly marked at the top of the first screen of the patient’s medical record when the shot is suspected or known to be related to the patient’s “mysterious” or “complex” problem. Perhaps this is a sign that the dissociation from reality may be slowly breaking. I sure hope so.

At my age, a lot of my friends etc. are elderly and their children are in their mid 40s. Neither group (to the best of my knowledge) has died from covid related vaccinations. None either have, except for a very few, suffered sudden death no matter the cause.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With hospitalizations up, France weighs return to masksNext

• Barbara Surk and Jade Le Deley
NICE, FRANCE - 

Tourism is booming again in France -- and so is COVID-19. French officials have "invited" or "recommended" people to go back to using face masks but stopped short of renewing restrictions that would scare visitors away or revive antigovernment protests.

From Paris commuters to tourists on the French Riviera, many people seem to welcome the government's light touch, while some worry that required prevention measures may be needed.

Virus-related hospitalizations rose quickly in France over the past two weeks, with nearly 1,000 patients with COVID-19 hospitalized per day, according to government data. Infections are also rising across Europe and the United States, but France has an exceptionally high proportion of people in the hospital, according to Our World in Data estimates.

coronavirus-coverage-1-5441962-1627382478378.png

French government spokesperson Olivia Gregoire has said there are no plans to reintroduce national regulations that limit or set conditions for gathering indoors and other activities.

"The French people are sick of restrictions," she said Wednesday on channel BFMTV. "We are confident that people will behave responsibly."

France's parliamentary elections last month resulted in President Emmanuel Macron losing his majority in the national legislature, while parties on the far right and the far left that had protested his government's earlier vaccine and mask rules gained seats.

After the prime minister this week recommended that people resume wearing masks on public transportation, commuter Raphaelle Vertaldi said, "We need to deal with the virus, but we can't stop living because of it."

Vertaldi, who was boarding a train in Boussy-Saint-Antoine south of Paris, said she opposed mandatory mask use but would cover her mouth and nose again, if the government requires it.

Hassani Mohammed, a postal worker in Paris, didn't wait for the government to decide. He masks up before his daily commute. With his wife recovering from surgery and two children at home, he does not want to risk contracting the coronavirus a third time.

"I realized that the pandemic does not belong to the past," Mohammed said.

Masks have been contentious in France. Early in the pandemic, the French government suggested masks weren't helpful. It ultimately introduced some of Europe's toughest restrictions, including an indoors and outside mask mandate that lasted more than a year, along with strict lockdowns.

A Paris court ruled Tuesday that the French government failed to sufficiently stock up on surgical masks at the start of the pandemic and to prevent the virus from spreading. The administrative court in Paris also ruled that the government was wrong to suggest early on that that masks did not protect people from becoming infected.

The government lifted most virus rules by April, and foreign tourists have returned by land, sea and air to French Mediterranean beaches, restaurants and bars.

In the meantime, French hospitals are struggling with long-running staff and funding shortages. Local officials are contemplating new measures, including an indoor mask mandate in some cities, but nothing that would curb economic activity.

French tourism professionals expect a booming summer season despite the virus, with numbers that may even surpass pre-pandemic levels as Americans benefit from the weaker euro and others rediscover foreign travel after more than two years of a more circumscribed existence.

On the French Riviera, a slow economic recovery began last summer. But with attendance at gatherings still capped, social distancing rules and travel restrictions in place a year ago, most visitors to the area were French.

A tour guide and electric bicycle taxi driver in Nice described her joy at seeing foreign visitors again. During France's repeated lockdowns, she transported essential workers, and took people to hospitals, to care for elderly relatives or for PCR tests.

Now, passengers on her bike from the U.S., Australia, Germany, Italy or beyond reach for the hand disinfectant taped to the barrier between the passenger and driver's seats. She said she still diligently disinfects the bike before each ride, "like it's 2020."

A retired couple from the U.K. visited France this week on their first trip abroad since pandemic travel restrictions were lifted. They started with a cruise down the River Rhone -- face masks were mandatory on the ship - and ended with a few days on the Mediterranean.

"It's been delightful from start to finish," said Ros Runcie, who was in Nice with her husband, Gordon. "Everyone is so pleased to see you, everyone is really polite and nice to visitors."

Sue Baker, who was travelling with her husband, Phil, and the Runcies, observed: "It feels very much like pre-2020."

Asked about the possible return of French mask rules, Phil Baker said, "Masks are a bit uncomfortable, especially in the heat."

But his wife added, "If it means we can still go on a holiday, we'll put them back on without hesitation."

------

Canada’s Coercive COVID-19 Mandates a ‘Tragic Error’: Former Ontario Chief Medical Officer

By Andrew Chen

June 25, 2022 Updated: June 26, 2022

Canada’s public health agency made a “tragic error” by grounding its COVID-19 response policies on coercion rather than persuasion, which was a key medical principle that had been thrown away during the pandemic, according to Dr. Richard Schabas, a former Ontario chief medical officer of health.

Schabas, who served as Ontario’s top doctor from 1987 to 1997, said on June 24 that the public health principle that he practiced for decades was “based on persuasion, not coercion,” and would hardly resort to legal powers in medical interventions.

He said that governments’ COVID-19 vaccination mandates have backfired, as instead of meeting the intention of getting more people vaccinated, they have resulted in more people being turned away in the long run.

“By polarizing the issue, by making it a question of coercion, they’ve taken a group of people—many people who would have been persuaded to take the vaccine—and lock them down as being opposed to vaccines because they don’t want to be forced,” he said.

“I think that’s a tragic error.”

Schabas made the remarks during the Citizens’ Hearing panel, an independent inquiry that scrutinizes the impacts of COVID-19 mandates and restrictions on Canadians. Panelists include former Reform Party leader and MP Preston Manning, retired Ontario pediatrician Dr. Susan Natsheh, and David Ross, president of the Canadian COVID Care Alliance, which co-hosted the three-day event that concluded on June 24.

He said it is also important to have a holistic view of a person’s health conditions, or “determinants of health,” which are other aspects of people’s lives that are critical to their health conditions, which include education, employment, and social connectedness.

“Health was more than just the absence of disease—it was a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being,” he said. “The last two years we’ve completely lost sight of that: Not only is health all about disease, it is all about one disease, and that is all about COVID case counts.”

One major advancement in Canada’s medical system over the past 50 years was the recognition of evidence-based experiments rather than experts’ advice when determining whether a certain medical procedure is effective, Schabas said. But the public health measures rolled out during the pandemic are based on the less reliable observations and models.

“Beginning March 2020, basically the whole world panicked. We accepted uncritically speculative mathematical models, which … [said] that 40 million people were going to die in the world by mid-summer,” he said, referring to a 2020 report published by the Imperial College London in the United Kingdom, which has a massive discrepancy with the 6 million fatalities actually recorded over the past two years.

Schabas also questioned the scientific basis behind mandatory masking mandates and lockdowns. At the onset of the novel coronavirus, he said governments should have looked to evidence-based studies such as a 2019 World Health Organization (WHO) report on influenza, which stated that “there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza,” while the overall effect of contact tracing was “limited.”

“We panicked, and we resorted to a whole range of so-called control measures that were of dubious effectiveness,” he told the panelists.

The WHO report reviewed several studies with simulation models, and it said only one study suggested a combination of contact tracing and quarantine, which was estimated to “provide at most modest benefit,” while it would “considerably increase the number of quarantined individuals.”

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, GDR said:

By polarizing the issue....

About 15 more months to go before the main stream media address the issue of information suppression and manipulation. 

In this context (and IMO), suppression of information has nothing (what so ever) to do the validity of the opinions on either side of the issue. The fact that 70 percenters supported and encouraged this suppression was the very thing that made me look deeper into the biology of it.

Then came simple grade 13 biology questions being greeted with ridicule and sarcasm by people who couldn't discuss the issue coherently yet considered themselves soooo much smarter than the rubes asking those biology based questions.

You need look no further than this forum to see what I mean... that sealed the deal for me. 

https://www.rebelnews.com/quebec_professor_immunology_rna_covid_vaccines_kids_patrick_provost

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/sikh-security-guards-ousted-from-city-jobs-over-beards-organization-says

Not uncommon in other professions that require PPE; but still, it's one of those unintended consequences people seem to be tripping over at every turn. As soon as you convince people that filtration efficiency and virus diameter are irrelevant, all things become possible. After two years of hammering Christians and jailing pastors, the religious freedom argument has been torpedoed and shouldn't apply here... well done. Chalk up one for the ladies in black eh?

Here's another one and it's coming soon, since people were so enamoured with mandates, you will soon need a booster every 9 months to maintain "fully vaccinated" status. My guess is that the love affair with mandates will fade as people become more wary of the vaccines and their newfound anti vaxxer status begins to effect them. Soon we will be hearing about bodily autonomy, privacy and individual rights from the very people who cheered when their neighbours got fired. LOL, don't bother bringing your petition to my house.

Vote on policy, plug vulnerabilities and don't give away OTHER people's rights....unintended consequences never come as single spies, but in battalions.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Certain amount of BS in this story. To be effective everyone who is fitted with that mask must go through a fitness test that has absolutely nothing to do with race, just fit of the mask. In order to work, the mask must fit tight, if not then it is not useful at all.  If you are allowed to go into a risk area requiring a N95 mask, and have not passed the test,  then you are wasting your time and are placed into risk , exposure can affect your lungs or in the worst case allow you to contact a disease (not just covid but lots of others) and then pass it on to another. 

Facial Hairstyles and Filtering Facepiece Respirators (cdc.gov)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

....you will soon need a booster every 9 months to maintain "fully vaccinated" status.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/two-doses-are-no-longer-enough-canadians-required-to-get-covid-shot-every-nine-months

There ya go.... speak of the devil. 

Whether the bear beats the wolf or the wolf beats the bear, the rabbit always loses. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the California of Canada, the latest poll results should not be a surprise.

With COVID-19 cases going up across British Columbia, a majority of British Columbians would support the return to a mask mandate, recent polling has found.70c8fc80

In a poll released by the Angus Reid Institute, 55 per cent of people in the province would be in favour of requiring masks in public indoor spaces.

The national average was 51 per cent approval, with Alberta the lowest in the country at 36 per cent.

British Columbians are also the most likely to support a return to a vaccine passport with 30 per cent of those polled supporting the measure, higher than the 25-per cent national average.

The mask mandate popularity has decreased over time as vaccination rates have gone up and COVID-19 measures have been eased.In November 2020, 86 per cent of people in B.C. supported the mandate compared to 55 per cent now.

•  

B.C.’s government is also leading the way on the public’s perception on how the pandemic is being managed.

To the question of whether the premier is handling the pandemic well, 68 per cent of British Columbians reacted positively.

Just 24 per cent of British Columbians think the government has done a poor job.

“Outgoing B.C. Premier John Horgan, who has consistently been graded well on the pandemic, receives the highest praise, with more than two-thirds in that province saying he has done well on COVID-19,” the Angus Reid Institute report on the poll reads.

British Columbians are split on whether they are concerned about a lack of COVID-19 data available.

Of those asked, 44 per cent are frustrated with a lack of data and 43 per cent are not concerned about the lack of information.

On the question of bringing back COVID-19 briefings, 42 per cent say it would make them feel better and 46 per cent say it wouldn’t really matter.

The Angus Reid Institute conducted an online survey from July 13 – 17, 2022 among a representative randomized sample of 1,602 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum.

For comparison purposes only, a probability sample of this size would carry a margin of error of +/- 2 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

When will it END?

HEALTH EXPERTS WATCH AS NEW VARIANTS OF COVID-19 CONTINUE TO EMERGE

• Calgary Herald
  • 23 Jul 2022
  • SHARON KIRKEY
img?regionKey=UK18B%2fODg3sBwA%2fcIl7lvQ%3d%3d  

More than two years into the COVID mess, yet another immunity-dodging viral variant is driving a seventh wave of infections — even though half the country's population, more than 17 million people, were infected with Omicron between December and May, and despite more than 80 per cent of the population having received at least two doses of a vaccine.

“As much as all of us would love the pandemic to be over, we are seeing changes in the virus that continue to make this extremely challenging,” said Dr. Fahad Razak, an internist at Toronto's St. Michael's Hospital and the new scientific director of Ontario's COVID-19 science advisory table.

Hospitalizations are creeping up in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta. Cases have tripled and hospitalization rates have doubled across parts of Europe in the past two weeks. California is being slammed by a “stunning” summer wave. Australians are being urged to work from home as COVID cases swamp hospitals.

“The virus is running freely,” the World Health Organization recently warned.

Dr. Catherine Hankins doesn't want to anthropomorphize SARS-COV-2, assign it human characteristics. It doesn't have a brain, though it sometimes behaves as if it does. But it is making the most of our hunger, and social and economic pressures, “to get out and return to a fuller life,” she said. The more transmission, the more opportunity for the virus to mutate and lob new variants at us like hammer throws.

Two and a half years in, the world is discovering SARS-COV-2 isn't behaving with neat, predictable, winter-bound waves like the flu, but with multiple rollers that are coming faster, each new one starting before the last hasn't quite finished with us. Instead of a lull period, peaks are occurring within months of each other.

“People were saying this will be like a seasonal respiratory virus. `We'll have a great summer and in the fall it will come back.' It's not acting like that. It has these cyclical waves. We're now in July!” said Hankins, co-chair of Canada's COVID-19 immunity task force and a professor of public and population health at Mcgill University.

“I do think, at this stage, we have to resign ourselves to wave after wave.”

Surges are still happening when most people have been vaccinated, boosted, infected or some combination of all three. It might seem depressing. But our “immunity wall” is helping dampen how the human body responds to each successive variant, American cardiologist and scientist Eric Topol recently blogged.

Ba.5-driven hospitalizations are on the rise, but they're still mercifully below those of previous waves, and there's an uncoupling from ICU admissions and deaths, Topol said. In the United Kingdom, fewer than half of Covid-related hospital admissions are “primarily” for COVID. The virus is still evolving, and scientists are keeping close watch over the latest entrant of interest, formally known as BA.2.75, which has a “wealth” of new mutations beyond the mutations that debuted in the first version of Omicron, BA.1, that surfaced late last year and ripped through global populations.

Long story short: The wily virus is evolving like a “Formula One race car lapping around the track with humans in the stands,” Topol said.

Dr. Terrance Snutch, chair of the Canadian COVID-19 Genomics Network, doesn't believe the virus is doing anything differently than it's always done, “which is to be mutating at a certain rate in populations that are susceptible.” It's not so much that it's necessarily mutating faster — the mutation rate hasn't changed much, if at all, said Snutch, a professor in the Michael Smith Laboratories at the University of British Columbia. “What is happening is you have this large population now that has some significant amount of immune response to the virus, either through previous infections or vaccinations and boosting, or a combination of both.”

Unlike early in the pandemic, when no one was immune, “the virus is mutating in populations that have a fair amount of resistance to earlier forms,” Snutch said.

The mutations that are arising now are only advantageous to the virus if they can skirt our existing immune responses: infect people who have been vaccinated or previously infected, and replicate inside them.

“The virus is finding a new niche in humans — a niche in highly vaccinated, boosted and previously infected people,” Snutch said. “These are very specific mutations.”

On the plus side, there's no evidence BA.4 and BA.5 cause worse disease, though one study in hamsters suggested BA.5 has a propensity for lodging deeper in the lungs. Hospitalizations in Canada are increasing, “but again we're not seeing a huge increase in requirement for ventilators or a significant increase in death,” Snutch said. “Knock on wood that continues.”

While antibodies that neutralize SARS-COV-2 and prevent infection peter out, the body's T-cells that provide longer-lasting memory protection against the virus don't get as much cred as they should, scientists say.

A study published in March found that a COVID infection or vaccination produces sustained levels of T cells capable of recognizing the SARS-COV-2 spike protein that last more than a year. “Even though some parts of the immune response wane, we can now see that T cells recognizing the virus are quite stable over time,” senior author and University of Melbourne immunologist Dr. Jennifer Juno reported when the study was released. After 15 months of monitoring, “they were still roughly 10-fold higher than someone who had never been exposed to the spike protein through infection or vaccination.” It may explain why we're not seeing as many severe infections.

There's no way of knowing what's next. SARS-COV-2 is likely going to be around forever, and traditional herd immunity for COVID was a “crazy idea based upon assumptions only justified by wishful thinking, not science,” scientist Yaneer Baryam, president of the New England Complex Systems Institute recently tweeted.

“Right now, everything that we're seeing suggests that herd immunity is just not possible,” Razak said. What we may find is that we are exposed to enough variants that we do start to develop the kind of immunity we see for typical influenzas or other coronaviruses we've experienced for years “where you don't have these enormously disruptive infections that we're seeing now,” infections that are hollowing out staffing levels in hospitals, airlines and businesses.

“We're clearly not there right now,” Razak said.

SARS-COV-2 may mutate into a mild version. People with Omicron often report a sore throat, hoarse voice, cough, headache. “If that's the case moving forward, it's endemic as a nuisance more than anything,” Snutch said, “though a nuisance in older people can be deadly, just like the flu is deadly.”

A catastrophic variant can't be ruled out, he said. “But the way the virus is going, it has spent a lot of ammunition already in mutating its spike protein,” the studs on the surface of SARS-COV-2 that the virus uses to latch onto human cells. “I'm not an evolutionary biologist, but it may have gone down that path as far as it can go.”

In July, the country is in its seventh wave, and its third bout with Omicron. More hospital admissions mean more pressure on overstretched emergency rooms. Repeat infections, according to Public Health Ontario, increase the risk of allcause mortality (death from any cause) hospitalization and other bad outcomes.

It's not clear whether repeat infections boost the risk of long COVID, the long tail after infections subside.

Revived calls in some quarters to restore masking mandates in public transit and crowded indoor public spaces have been met with: “not a contingency for the present” and, “At this point ... we're not having that conversation.”

For people wondering whether to hold out until the fall for a fourth dose, hoping for boosters containing BA.4 and BA.5, Hankins' advice, particularly for those who are older or immunocompromised, is not to wait. “Transmission has picked up. It's up, now.”

Lockdowns and other draconian measures aren't necessary. But, “what is the core strategy that will allow Canadians to live as full a life as possible while protecting the things we value, including our elderly and most vulnerable?” Razak asked. “The compromise may be that we accept that we have to invest in air quality, and we have to wear masks during periods of high viral spread and keep updated with vaccines to the best extent possible.”

We've treated COVID as the most important health issue of the day for the past two years, “and maybe rightly so for a chunk of that,” says Dr. Sameer Elsayed, an infectious diseases specialist at Western University.

“But we can't really be too focused on COVID at the expense of so many other things that we've just ignored over the years.” Delays in cancer surgery. A “humongous” wait list for medical care for just about anything.

He's not entirely convinced a fourth shot results in any meaningful benefit. But stubborn variants are making vaccinology challenging.

“None of us, in our lifetimes, have seen any virus that behaves this way,” Elsayed says.

“I don't think anybody can predict what we'll be facing in the future.”

1 hour ago, Kargokings said:

Now we have the UN and the US looking at considering this to be a epidemic.  The woke at work or?

Or Mother Nature cleansing itself?

Ottawa has now had more COVID-19 deaths in 2022 than 2021

CBC/Radio-Canada - Yesterday 11:40 a.m.

In its most recent weekly update Thursday, Ottawa Public Health (OPH) said the city's COVID levels were very high and concerning.

OPH specifically wants people to limit contacts, consider masking in crowded outdoor areas as well as inside and asks businesses to consider bringing back policies such as mandatory masks.

The local health-care system is again being strained by the combination of the pandemic load and staff shortages.

The latest Ottawa update

The average level of coronavirus in Ottawa's wastewater is very high. It rose for more than a month starting in early June and has slowly dropped eight of the last 10 days of data.

That average as of July 24 is about two times higher than it was a month ago and about 15 times higher than a year ago.

Forty-four Ottawa residents have been admitted to a city hospital with COVID-19, according to OPH's latest update. That number has been rising all month and hasn't been this high since early February.

One of those patients is in intensive care.

One year ago, there were three of these hospital patients and two years ago, there were nine.

The hospitalization figures above don't include all patients. For example, they leave out patients admitted for other reasons who then test positive for COVID-19, those admitted for lingering COVID-19 complications, and those transferred from other health units.

Continue reading

Ottawa has now had more COVID-19 deaths in 2022 than 2021 | CBC News

5 hours ago, GDR said:

Mark Steyn on vaccines

Thanks.

The lack of media attention/questions is concerning. It isn't an accident either...

That alone is worthy of sober reflection. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Thanks.

The lack of media attention/questions is concerning. It isn't an accident either...

That alone is worthy of sober reflection. 

From the Main Stream Media:

Reinfection, severe outcome more common with BA.5 variant; virus spike protein toxic to heart cells

July 28 (Reuters) - The following is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that has yet to be certified by peer review.

Reinfections, severe outcomes may be more common with BA.5

Compared with the earlier Omicron BA.2 subvariant, currently dominant Omicron BA.5 is linked with higher odds of causing a second SARS-COV-2 infection regardless of vaccination status, a study from Portugal suggests.

From late April through early June, researchers there studied 15,396 adults infected with the BA.2 variant and 12,306 infected with BA.5. Vaccines and boosters were equally effective against both sublineages, according to a report posted on Monday on medRxiv ahead of peer review. However, 10% of BA.5 cases were reinfections, compared to 5.6% of BA.2 cases, which suggests a reduction in protection conferred by previous infection against BA.5 compared to BA.2, the researchers said. Moreover, the vaccines appeared to be less effective in reducing the risk of severe outcomes for BA.5 compared with BA.2.

"Among those infected with BA.5, booster vaccination was associated with 77% and 88% reduction in risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and death, respectively, while higher risk reduction was found for BA.2 cases, with 93% and 94%, respectively," the researchers wrote. While "COVID-19 booster vaccination still offers substantial protection against severe outcomes following BA.5 infection," they said, their findings provide "evidence to adjust public health measures during the BA.5 surge."

Virus spike protein damages heart muscle cells

The spike protein on its surface that the coronavirus uses to break into heart muscle cells also triggers a damaging attack from the immune system, according to new research.

The SARS-CoV-2 spike protein interacts with other proteins in cardiac myocytes to cause inflammation, researchers said on Wednesday in a presentation at the American Heart Association's Basic Cardiovascular Sciences Scientific Sessions 2022. In experiments with mice hearts, comparing the effects of SARS-CoV2 spike proteins and spike proteins from a different, relatively harmless coronavirus, the researchers found that only the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein caused heart dysfunction, enlargement, and inflammation. Further, they found, in infected heart muscle cells only the SARS-CoV-2 spike interacted with so-called TLR4 proteins (Toll-like receptor-4) that recognize invaders and trigger inflammatory responses. In a deceased patient with COVID-19 inflammation, the researchers found the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and TLR4 protein in both heart muscle cells and other cell types. Both were absent in a biopsy of a healthy human heart.

"That means once the heart is infected with SARS-CoV-2, it will activate the TLR4 signaling," Zhiqiang Lin of the Masonic Medical Research Institute in Utica, New York said in a statement. "We provided direct evidence that spike protein is toxic to the heart muscle cells and narrowed down the underlying mechanism as spike protein directly inflames the heart muscle cells," he told Reuters. "More work is being done in my lab to test whether and how spike protein kills heart muscle cells."

Omicron-targeted antibody combo nears human trials

A new monoclonal antibody combination can prevent and treat Omicron infections in monkeys, researchers reported on Monday in Nature Microbiology.

The antibodies, called P2G3 and P5C3, recognize specific regions of the spike protein the SARS-CoV-2 virus uses to enter cells. "P5C3 alone can block all SARS-CoV-2 variants that had dominated the pandemic up to Omicron BA.2," said Dr. Didier Trono of the Swiss Institute of Technology in Lausanne. "P2G3 then comes to the rescue as it not only can neutralize all previous SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, but it can also block BA.4 and BA.5," he said. "P2G3 is even effective against some BA.2 or BA.4/BA.5 mutants capable of escaping (Eli Lilly's (LLY.N)) bebtelovimab, the only antibody approved for the clinics still displaying activity against the currently dominant BA.4/BA.5 subvariants."

In lab experiments, mutations that might make SARS-CoV-2 variants resistant to P2G3 did not allow escape from P5C3, and P5C3 escape mutants were still blocked by P2G3, Trono said. "In essence, the two antibodies cover for each other, one filling in for the lapses of the other and vice versa."

Aerium Therapeutics plans to start testing the combination in humans next month, said Trono, who is among the company's founders. If larger trials eventually confirm its effectiveness, the P5C3/P2G3 combination will be given by injection every three-to-six months to people who are immunocompromised and do not have a strong response to COVID-19 vaccines, the company has said.

Click for a Reuters Global COVID-19 Tracker and for a Reuters COVID-19 Vaccination Tracker.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kargokings said:

From the Main Stream Media:

Cool, about time they got around to spike protein toxicity... I expect we'll be hearing more about that in the coming months.

In the fullness of time they may get around to considering the effect of multiple exposures to wild virus mutations that create an immune response which fails to prevent infection; and whether or not that will magnify symptoms and the resulting immune response to the extent of being considered ADE events.  

We are slowly moving toward considering some of the original questions I think. All I'm asking are the same questions I would have asked in grade 13 biology class if I was currently there to ask them.

That said, I'm no longer seeking those answers with the idea of deciding on whether or not to get vaccinated, for me, since the the decision is now made, my interest has subsided to being purely academic...  I no longer bother actively researching it and I'm content to let the answers filter out over time. We'll get there eventually.

I would have hoped the media would have been asking those questions all along instead of ridiculing those doing the asking, which was the point of the post you reference.

Edited by Wolfhunter

On 7/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, Wolfhunter said:

We are slowly moving toward considering some of the original questions I think.

Here's another one of those:

https://nationalpost.com/health/is-covid-prematurely-aging-our-immune-systems

The follow up is... does it matter what the source of the spike protein is and are these effects incrementally worsened by repeated exposures (leading eventually to ADE)... as was the case in original mRNA trials. In other words, are vaccinated people more or less at risk for this effect (also an original question from 2 years ago) and is there potential for blood supply issues for those deemed sensitive.

This was the concern of some de-platformed Phd's from day one:

One theory is that SARS-CoV-2 hyperactivates T cells, and, in severe cases, those overzealous cells can cause chronic, elevated inflammation that’s responsible for a lot of the harm done to the body, said T cell researcher Anthony Leonardi.

The question (in my mind) is particularly relevant to vaccinated individuals exposed to mutated virus strains where an immediate (but ineffective) immune system response is generated by exposure to a strain that can bypass their vaccine induced immunity. Would the vaccine induced response act as a trojan horse here?

Again. I don't know the answer but it's a question I would pose in biology class... just before getting expelled for misinformation no doubt. Personally, my threat assessment was impacted by the very questions now coming to light (and the ridicule heaped on those who previously asked) vs a 99.8% survival rate.

One of the nightmare scenarios (I'm thinking of a screen play in fact) is the idea that unvaccinated blood might become a highly valuable commodity at some point in the future. I've come to fear what my neighbours are now capable of.  

Edited by Wolfhunter

As time goes on, more is learned about covid

A vital dose of the week's news in health and medicine, from the CBC Health team.n

Why long COVID may now be less common than previously thought

Long COVID can be a severely debilitating condition for those who live with it, but the growing list of symptoms and conflicting estimates on how often it occurs make it incredibly difficult to measure exactly how many people it affects. (Peter Hamlin/The Associated Press)

Why long COVID may now be less common than previously thought

Immunity from vaccination appears to lower risk over time, according to new data

Adam Miller

Long COVID can be a severely debilitating condition for those who live with it, but the growing list of symptoms and conflicting estimates on how often it occurs make it incredibly difficult to measure exactly how many people it affects.

Post-COVID-19 condition, as it's called by the World Health Organization (WHO), is also not an inevitability for most people who get infected and it now appears significantly less common than earlier research suggested — thanks in part to vaccination.

Based on data from the early in the pandemic, the WHO estimates placed the condition at a rate of between 10 to 20 per cent of COVID-19 patients, while the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) states it can occur in between 30 to 40 per cent of those not hospitalized.

Canada's Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam went as far as to say back in May that long COVID can affect up to 50 per cent of all patients, adding that the symptoms can be "quite broad and non-specific."

But with estimates that more than half of Canadians have been infected with COVID since December after the emergence of Omicron and its highly contagious subvariants, there is a lack of evidence to suggest there are currently millions of COVID long haulers in Canada.

Newer research suggests long COVID is occurring at a much lower rate than estimates from early in the pandemic, before widespread vaccination. PHAC is now working to better understand the true number of cases — while acknowledging their data is outdated.

"Long COVID is real. There are a lot of people suffering from it," said Bill Hanage, an epidemiologist at Harvard University's T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston.

"But you don't serve those people by pretending that 40 per cent of the population is in that boat. In my view, it's actually a bit disrespectful to the people who are genuinely suffering from long COVID to pretend that that is the case."

Estimates based on outdated research

Many of the estimates cited by health organizations are based on early data that largely looked at patients in 2020, long before COVID-19 vaccines and Omicron dramatically changed the immunity landscape in Canada and around the world.

One study published in The Lancet in July 2021, cited by PHAC as one of its main sources for its estimate that 30 to 40 per cent of non-hospitalized patients develop long COVID, looked at fewer than 1,000 patients between April 2020 and December 2020.

"I assume that due to vaccination and the Omicron variant, fewer people will now be affected by long COVID," Clara Lehmann, a lead author of the study and professor at the department of Internal Medicine at the University of Cologne in Germany, said in a recent email.

PHAC also cites two systematic reviews as evidence for its high estimates of long COVID — a preprint study authored by its researchers from late 2021 that has not yet been peer reviewed, and a recent study in The Journal of Infectious Diseases from April.

Many of the papers analyzed in the studies are from before the emergence of Omicron and COVID-19 vaccines, while a significant proportion also had no control groups from the general population to compare against. The lead author of The Lancet study PHAC cited also said she expected the rate to be much lower.

"I believe that the proportion [of long COVID] has gone down," said Bhramar Mukherjee, lead author of the Lancet study and biostatistics and epidemiology professor at the University of Michigan.

"There are many more studies now with a vaccinated population, and initially it was not really clear what the prevalence is, but it seems like there is a considerable effect." 

A U.K. study published this week in Nature identified up to 62 symptoms associated with long COVID, including hair loss and erectile dysfunction, but found that 5.4 per cent of non-hospitalized patients reported at least one symptom three months after an infection.

That's in line with a recent survey from the U.K.'s Office for National Statistics that found the rate of long COVID was just over four per cent with Omicron BA.1 or BA.2 breakthrough infections in triple vaccinated adults, which was lower than with Delta at five per cent.

Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Conn., said it's not entirely clear yet how much vaccination helps in preventing long COVID. Some studies have shown it can reduce the risk by half and others showed significantly less benefit, but emerging research suggests they lower the rate significantly.

"That could likely be related to the fact that we have immunity to some extent from vaccination and potentially prior infections," she said. "Also there may be some intrinsic difference between the variants of concern."

In a statement to CBC News, a spokesperson for PHAC clarified that "there is currently insufficient pan-Canadian data to estimate the number of long COVID patients in Canada" and the rates of 30 to 40 per cent on their website "predate the arrival of Omicron."

"The estimates should not be used to extrapolate how many Canadians may have [long COVID] in 2022 since the arrival of the Omicron variant and sub-variants," the statement read, adding they are currently in the process of updating their ongoing systematic review

"The evidence reviewed by PHAC suggests, based on a small number of studies, that COVID-19 vaccination prior to COVID-19 infection may help to reduce the risk of developing [long COVID]."

http://newsletters.cbc.ca/i/amf_cbc/project_27/longcovid2.png?size=1212x0&w=BPFouEJcPI7YkwQen18aNTRjfBK0

Many of the estimates cited by health organizations are based on early data that largely looked at patients in 2020, long before COVID-19 vaccines and Omicron dramatically changed the immunity landscape in Canada and around the world. (Peter Hamlin/The Associated Press)

Confusion over long COVID symptoms

The confusion lies with the different definitions of what long COVID actually is, coupled with the fact that the level of immunity in the population from prior infection and vaccination has vastly changed the risk of developing it.

And while some symptoms can be life-altering, others can be much less severe or hard to attribute to COVID-19 altogether — making it incredibly difficult to study accurately.

"It's fuzzy, the criteria are not sufficiently settled to permit statements that are as strong as some people make," said Hanage from Harvard. "You need to decide exactly what you mean by long COVID and recognize that there are a lot of different sorts of long COVID."

The WHO lists dozens of long COVID symptoms that aren't explained by another diagnosis — from fatigue, shortness of breath and cognitive dysfunction, to anxiety, depression, sleep disorders and loss of taste or smell — that can last at least two months after an infection.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention classifies long COVID as at least 19 symptoms that range widely from general tiredness to respiratory and heart conditions, neurological symptoms and digestive issues that can occur after one or even three months.

PHAC states there can be more than 100 symptoms of long COVID weeks or months after infection but narrowed its list of common ones to nine — including general pain and discomfort, difficulty thinking or concentrating and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"How frequently it occurs kind of depends on the definition of long COVID, and there is no universal definition currently," said Iwasaki. "As with everything else, the statistics are changing at different stages of the pandemic." 

She said the fact that there are currently more than 200 long COVID symptoms across various health organizations that range in severity and duration in different populations throughout the pandemic only adds to the confusion.

"The estimates are all over the place," said Dr. Angela Cheung, a senior scientist-clinician at the University Health Network in Toronto who researches long COVID.

"Some will count any one symptom, like if you have one lingering symptom you have long COVID, and that symptom may be very mild and doesn't really affect your daily life. Whereas some people have multiple symptoms and are totally debilitated and can't work."

http://newsletters.cbc.ca/i/amf_cbc/project_27/longcovid3.png?size=1212x0&w=BhaDfvX3nezZsb7zcVx2zaZb0VRQ

The confusion lies with the different definitions of what long COVID actually is, coupled with the fact that the level of immunity in the population from prior infection and vaccination has vastly changed the risk of developing it. (Peter Hamlin/The Associated Press)

Canada updating estimates on long COVID

Canada may soon have a better handle on the true rate of long COVID occurring in the population with the release of a survey from PHAC and Statistics Canada to determine the prevalence, risk factors, symptoms and impacts on daily life of the condition.

The first leg of the survey was launched in April 2022, with results expected early next year. PHAC said in a statement it also plans to conduct followup studies to examine changes in long COVID over time and longer-term outcomes in those who are affected.

"We need to get a better understanding of the degree as well," said Cheung, who is working with PHAC and Statistics Canada on the survey.

"Because while people may be more willing to put up with one or two symptoms, that doesn't really affect their activities of daily living or work, whereas people are less accepting of something that really disrupts their life."

Iwasaki said that while the rate of long COVID may be changing over time, the condition severely affects a significant proportion of the population who need ongoing support.

"People who've gotten long COVID in the original wave are still suffering," she said. "Some of them haven't recovered."

Hanage said the situation for severe long COVID can be improved by ensuring people have prior protection from vaccination, improving research into the condition and finding therapies to help those who need it most. 

"Even if the actual risk of serious long COVID symptoms is pretty low, and I actually think it is, that's not much comfort to the millions of people who are going to end up suffering severe long COVID," he said. 

"It's just that you individually being infected are more likely than not to make a full recovery."

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
250 Front St. W, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G5

cbc.radio-canada.ca | radio-canada.ca | cbc.ca

Biden tests positive for COVID-19, returns to isolation

President Joe Biden waves as he leaves after speaking in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, Wednesday, July 27, 2022. Biden ended his COVID-19 isolation after testing negative for the virus on Tuesday night and again on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)President Joe Biden waves as he leaves after speaking in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, Wednesday, July 27, 2022. Biden ended his COVID-19 isolation after testing negative for the virus on Tuesday night and again on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
  • Zeke Miller
Updated July 30, 2022 1:09 p.m. MDT
Published July 30, 2022 12:57 p.m. MDT

President Joe Biden tested positive for COVID-19 again Saturday, slightly more than three days after he was cleared to exit coronavirus isolation, the White House said, in a rare case of "rebound" following treatment with an anti-viral drug.

White House physician Dr. Kevin O'Connor said in a letter that Biden "has experienced no reemergence of symptoms, and continues to feel quite well."

In accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, Biden will reenter isolation for least five days. The agency says most rebound cases remain mild and that severe disease during that period has not been reported.

coronavirus-coverage-1-5441962-1627382478378.png

Word of Biden's positive test came just two hours after the White House announced a presidential visit to Michigan this coming Tuesday to highlight the passage of a bill to promote domestic high-tech manufacturing. Biden had also been scheduled to visit his home in Wilmington, Delaware, on Sunday morning, where first lady Jill Biden has been staying while the president was positive. Both trips have been canceled as Biden has returned to isolation.

Biden, 79, was treated with the anti-viral drug Paxlovid, and tested negative for the virus on Tuesday and Wednesday. He was then cleared to leave isolation while wearing a mask indoors. His positive tests puts him among the minority of those prescribed the drug to experience a rebound case of the virus.

While Biden was testing negative, he returned to holding in-person indoor events and meetings with staff at the White House and was wearing a mask, in accordance with CDC guidelines. But the president removed his mask indoors when delivering remarks on Thursday and during a meeting with CEOs on the White House complex.

Asked why Biden appeared to be breaching CDC protocols, press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said, "They were socially distanced. They were far enough apart. So we made it safe for them to be together, to be on that stage."

Regulators are still studying the prevalence and virulence of rebound cases, but the CDC in May warned doctors that it has been reported to occur within two days to eight days after initially testing negative for the virus.

"Limited information currently available from case reports suggests that persons treated with Paxlovid who experience COVID-19 rebound have had mild illness; there are no reports of severe disease," the agency said at the time.

When Biden was initially released from isolation on Wednesday, O'Connor said the president would "increase his testing cadence" to catch any potential rebound of the virus.

White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha told reporters on Monday that "the clinical data suggests that between 5 and 8 percent of people have rebound" after Paxlovid treatment.

Paxlovid has been proven to significantly reduce severe disease and death among those most vulnerable to COVID-19. U.S. health officials have encouraged those who test positive to consult their doctors or pharmacists to see if they should be prescribed the treatment, despite the rebound risk.

Biden is fully vaccinated, after getting two doses of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine shortly before taking office, a first booster shot in September and an additional dose March 30.

While patients who have recovered from earlier variants of COVID-19 have tended to have high levels of immunity to future reinfection for 90 days, Jha said that the BA.5 subvariant that infected Biden has proven to be more "immune-evasive."

"We have seen lots of people get reinfected within 90 days," he said, adding that officials don't yet have data on how long those who have recovered from the BA.5 strain have protection from reinfection.

• 2 weeks later...

Federal Court publishes vaccine mandate trial documents after media report

The Federal Court is proactively making documents submitted during a trial on the vaccine mandate for air travel publicly available after journalist Rupa Subramanya’s exclusive report on how the government body in charge of crafting mandates had no members with a medical background.

In her report, Subramanya laid out how the shadowy Covid Recovery government panel was composed of political appointees and not actual scientists. 

Among them was director-general Jennifer Little whose educational background included a bachelor’s degree in literature. Only one individual, Monique St.-Laurent had any semblance of training in public health. 

While St-Laurent worked as a government employee at the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), she is not a scientist.

The report sheds light on the lack of justification the Trudeau government used to impose some of the harshest mandates in the world including travel restrictions on the unvaccinated. 

During testimony, Little also revealed that her unit was ordered by “very senior” officials in the Trudeau cabinet to implement the travel mandates and not PHAC. The panel also struggled to find data to back up the decision to impose the strict restrictions. 

Even days prior to the travel mandates being imposed the panel was saying it required “something soon” to help justify the mandates. 

https://tnc.news/2022/08/08/trial-docs-vaccine-mandate/

Edited by Jaydee

Remember when they asserted that "the virus wasn't easily spread on aircraft." 

Obviously something magical about airplanes.... later though it was decided that the magic only happens while eating or drinking on aircraft. 

If only we could have captured it in aerosol form. Think of the lives that could have been saved.

• Like 1