Coronavirus_2020.01.28

Jaydee

3 hours ago, GDR said:

Today that we can see that Louisiana with a rate of vaccinated people approximately 28% lower than BC and has been relatively wide open for months and has a lower number of cases than BC which has been largely locked down for months.

I don't get where you get the idea that BC has been largely locked down, on southern Vancouver island where we both reside, there is nothing locked down. You can go shopping, go to restaurants, and basically do whatever you want.

Only restriction now is masking inside public spaces. I don't feel restricted at all and have not been kept from doing anything I want to do.

Some areas of BC are experiencing stricter regulations because they have a large percentage of unvaccinated people, so they control their own destiny, don't like the restrictions - get vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mo32a said:

I don't get where you get the idea that BC has been largely locked down, on southern Vancouver island where we both reside, there is nothing locked down. You can go shopping, go to restaurants, and basically do whatever you want.

Only restriction now is masking inside public spaces. I don't feel restricted at all and have not been kept from doing anything I want to do.

Some areas of BC are experiencing stricter regulations because they have a large percentage of unvaccinated people, so they control their own destiny, don't like the restrictions - get vaccinated.

Louisiana removed mask restictions indoor and have temporarily put them nack on. They have no vaccine passports and have no restrictions on attendance at events.

In BC I have to show a vaccine passport to get into a restaurant, it is going to being removed  but I go to the Royals hockey games where they have only been allowed 50% capacity etc. Many places of employment require 2 shots or lose their jobs.

Our vaccination rate is 28% higher, and yet they still have a slightly lower number of Covid cases, with the acknowledgement that can easily change tomorrow. It just does seem though that much of what we are doing isn't helping.

It does appear that the vaccines do reduce the severity of Covid and I also accept that masks are likely helpful at all. However I do fear the economic and social disruption that is being inflicted on us will ultimately be more harmful than the virus.

When push comes to shove.........

Crime-hit Chicago grapples with police vaccine revolt

By Holly Honderich
BBC News, Washington

MAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES

A standoff in Chicago, where the head of the city's largest police union is urging officers to defy a vaccine mandate, is the latest battle line being drawn in a national battle over Covid-19 jabs.

Chicago, a city of nearly three million people, has seen more than 1,600 sexual assaults, nearly 3,000 shootings and 649 murders this year - a 14% increase over last.

Just as violent crimes have risen, though, thousands of the city's police force may not show up to work.

Officers are weighing whether to resist a mayoral mandate requiring all public employees to report their vaccine status. City employees must now show proof of vaccination or submit to bi-weekly testing, unless approved for a religious or medical exemption. By the end of this year, all employees must be vaccinated.

Nearly one-third of Chicago's almost 13,000-member police department have so far refused to register their vaccination status, putting them on track for dismissal.

Twenty-one have been officially removed from active duty so far, but some officials have warned that the mandate could leave Chicago's police force dangerously depleted.

During a CNN town hall on Thursday night, President Joe Biden said US emergency responders who defy vaccine mandates should be fired.

Chicago is not alone in facing this problem. Police departments across the US have been stymied in their efforts to coax officers into getting vaccinated against Covid-19 - now the leading cause of death for police in the US, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a non-profit that tracks police officer deaths.

In the decade before the Covid-19 pandemic, an average of 166 US police officers died in the line of duty each year, according to the non-profit. Last year, 374 officers died - 245 of them due to Covid-19, more than any other cause combined.

"This virus is no different than the gunfire we take as cops," Chicago police superintendent David Brown said on Tuesday. "I will do everything I can and I will say anything I need to in order to convince officers to do everything they can to save their lives."

Yet vaccination rates among officers have generally lagged behind the general public.

"It's hard to understand," said Art Acevedo, who has served as chief of police in Miami, Houston and Austin, of vaccine hesitancy among police. "You'd think we'd be closer to 100% vaccination."

Mr Acevedo said he has urged reluctant officers to use their training and "look at the data".

"Every living president on both sides of the aisle has been vaccinated," he said. "In my business, we call that a clue."

Mr Acevedo attributed the resistance to a mistrust in government. Others have expressed irritation with what they see as government overreach, as well as scepticism in the vaccines' safety.

In Chicago, the head of the city's largest police union John Catanzara has called on its some 11,000 members to defy the city's requirement to report their vaccination status.

"It is the city's clear attempt to force officers to 'Chicken Little, the sky is falling' into compliance," he said last week. "Do not fall for it. Hold the line."

Mr Catanzara, who did not respond to the BBC's request for comment, has compared the mandate to "Nazi Germany" and has suggested the vaccine requirements are an illegal violation of privacy.

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES

A judge last week granted the city's request for a temporary order barring Mr Catanzara from making any public comments that encourage members of his union to resist the order. However, he has continued to post videos to the union's public YouTube channel, in apparent defiance of the order.

According to Mr Catanzara, as many as 50% of Chicago's 13,000 officers would take unpaid leave rather than report their vaccine status - threatening to bring a public safety crisis to America's third-largest city.

Police resistance to vaccine mandates has been seen in at least a handful of other other cities across the US.

Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villaneuva, who oversees the largest sheriff's department in the country, has said he will not enforce the county's vaccine requirements on his staff. Mike Solan, president of Seattle's rank and file police union, described the city's Covid-19 mandate as a "political betrayal", and said this week that up to 350 of his officers could be out of a job.

And in Massachusetts, the state police union is suing the governor over vaccine requirements.

In Chicago, some say the divide between police and politicians has been widened by the mayor, Lori Lightfoot, a Democrat, whose 2019 campaign was animated by promises to reform the city's force.

Police feel "vilified" by city authorities, said Raymond Lopez, a city council representative. "There's a general sense that our officers are not appreciated in the city they seek to serve and protect. Morale is low among the ranks."

Ms Lightfoot - who was criticised this month for breaking mask rules when she was photographed bare-faced at a Chicago basketball game - has held firm to her vaccine mandate.

She has accused Mr Catanzara of trying to "induce an insurrection".

And she has dismissed concerns of widespread police shortages, insisting there has been no disruption to the force so far.

Asked about the risk at a news conference, she said on Monday: "I don't engage in a lot of hypotheticals."

The number of police who have continued to say "no" after being given opportunities to comply with the reporting requirement "is very small", she said.

Still, other city officials fear the mandate will ignite a public safety crisis.

Last week, two city council representatives, Marty Quinn and Matt O'Shea, wrote a letter to Ms Lightfoot asking for the mandate to be delayed, citing "a dwindling police force and rising incidents of crime and violence".

Mr Quinn, who is vaccinated, told the BBC that a potential shortage of police is overwhelmingly the primary concern of his constituents."Since last week, my phones have been burning up about what's going on," he said. "What I'm hearing loud and clear is we have to make sure that every single officer that's capable of being on the job, is on the job."

Even before the mandate, Chicagoans had been left with a pared-down police force due, in part, to record levels of retirement and budget cuts which eliminated 614 vacant positions in the department this year.

"We can ill-afford to lose any more police," said Mr Quinn.

"This is not about the mandate, it's not about Mayor Lightfoot and John Catanzara. It's about public safety".Media caption,Watch: The showdown over Covid-19 mandates

The need for police is now at odds with another need of public safety: vaccinated frontline workers.

Their resistance to vaccine mandates reflects a broader American trend, said Chief Acevedo. "Police officers don't grow in petri dishes, they come from society."

But while battles over vaccines have broken out across professions, police officers and other frontline workers pose a particular threat.

"The issue here is when you have interactions with police officers, it's unpredictable," said Dr Abraar Karan, an infectious disease expert at Stanford University. Like a doctor, EMT or nurse, police officers have to interact with "everyone", including the elderly and immunocompromised - all of whom could be put at risk.

Indeed for some, a meeting with an unvaccinated officer or other first responder could be deadly.

"Not having police, especially in areas with high crime, will be a huge cost to citizens there," he said. "But we know that vaccines are safe... I think the risk to others is something we need to consider more seriously."

Additional reporting by Anamaria Silic

Pop Quiz

Which of the following statements is not true:

A. Unvaccinated nurses are now waiting tables and serving food to the people who wanted them fired out of “health concerns”

B. Trumpers, tin hatters and conspiracy theorists were correct about the NIH funding GOF research in Wuhan

C. Liberal MPs are statistically more likely to involved in criminal activity than AR15s

D. Race fans (in the video below) are chanting “lets go Brandon”

• Thanks 1

Firearms and violent crime in Canada, 2012 - ARCHIVED (statcan.gc.ca)

Long article but here is just a taste of the contents.

Most violent crime in Canada does not involve firearms

Most firearm-related homicides involve handguns

Firearm homicides more likely to be gang-related

Handguns more often present in CMAs; rifles and shotguns in non-CMAs

Last pop quiz for a while.... best wishes to all.

Which of the following is true and correct:

A. Should you need it, your doctor will only prescribe veterinarian grade Ivermectin at sufficient dosage levels to deworm a large horse.

B. Amoxicillin is a tropical fish antibiotic and (as with Ivermectin) unsafe for humans

C. The NIH would never lie about funding GOF research in Wuhan

D. The information on Hunter Biden’s laptop was planted by Russians

E. Duck hunters from Newfoundland are shooting up the streets of Toronto

F. None of the above are true

• Like 2

Interesting column

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/op-ed/les-leyne-they-re-feeling-cornered-and-they-re-very-angry-1.24365723

Les Leyne: They’re feeling cornered, and they’re very angry

Les Leyne Times Colonist

OCTOBER 23, 2021 06:00 AMTwo metrics are missing in all the statistics continually posted by the government as the COVID-19 emergency drags on.

One is the level of genuine concern, mistrust, resentment and off-the-wall anger that’s prevalent in that minority of people who don’t buy the argument that vaccination is the safest most effective way to contain risk from the coronovirus.

The other is how much that is increasing due to mandatory vaccination orders coming into effect in the public sector and the commercial world. It can’t be quantified, but it seems to be building as various requirements for shots squeeze them further out to the margins.

Another 3,561 people got their first dose as of Friday, 3,078 in the Thursday report and 2,787 in Wednesday’s. The double-dose count also inches up. So every day the cohort of unvaccinated people — now about 10 per cent of the population — reduces slightly. But anxiety and resentment seems to be growing in that remainder, judging by public demonstrations, displays of defiance and hate mail. They’re getting backed into a corner by their friends and family, by businesses and by the government.

The loudest and most extreme, as usual, get most of the attention. They’re storming into schools, parading down streets and outside of the homes of politicians, or raging on social media.

In the background are more thoughtful vaccine-hesitant people who just aren’t sure. They have personal health situations or belief systems that don’t accord with the party line on getting shots. With more mandatory requirements for shots, some are getting them despite their misgivings, just to keep their jobs, or retain the option of going out for dinner. The ones I’ve heard from are getting edgy.

It’s tempting to just quote the hate mail, because it’s so colourful. But the quieter more rational concerns among the hesitant are the ones that should be addressed.

One wrote that everyone makes a risk calculation on the issue and those who decide against shots shouldn’t be demonized “lest we lose our status as a free society.”

Another said that “illegal and immoral restrictions” are being imposed on people just for choosing to remain in the (unvaxxed) control group. “Many have now been threatened with loss of job, and are faced with the unpleasant decision to join the experiment or lose their income.”

Hesitancy was building years before COVID-19. Health Minister Adrian Dix staged a “measles catch-up” campaign a year before the pandemic hit because the percentage of kids getting immunized against it had slipped significantly, from the 90 per cent range to about 80.

Officials were notably shy then at addressing the reasons why that rate had dropped, preferring to stress the positive. But anti-vax sentiment had to be a factor. They’re relatively few, but it seemed clear then that officials were treading lightly out of regard for how intense they are.

As federal, provincial and other public bodies mandate shots, the argument could heat up. The vaccination program developing for children aged 5-11 is another factor.

(One reader described that as “stabbing innocent kids with this toxin,” which shows how far officials have to go in terms of reassuring people)

Still the huge body of evidence that it’s more dangerous not to get the shots is driving the government to get more insistent.

Discussing the injunction the government won against a defiant restaurant in Hope, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth warned them and others Thursday: “You continue by not complying to put people potentially at risk. Every person in hospital unvaccinated … is taking away a bed from someone who has cancer, or may have another disease, a heart attack. That’s just not right.

“If they’re smart they’ll follow provincial health orders. If not, they may well find themselves in even more trouble.”

But even inside government there is a bit of pushback developing to the mandatory shots order applying to all 30,000 civil servants that kicks in next month. Some are urging opposition to the plan.

Farnworth’s message is a long way from the “be kind, be calm, be safe,” refrain during the first waves of the pandemic. Nerves are fraying everywhere as the global scientific consensus in favour of shots runs into concerned hesitancy and harder-edged concerns about personal freedom.

Long-haul COVID is an established phenomenon. Long-haul political after-effects might become another.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, GDR said:

Louisiana removed mask restictions indoor and have temporarily put them nack on. They have no vaccine passports and have no restrictions on attendance at events.

In BC I have to show a vaccine passport to get into a restaurant, it is going to being removed  but I go to the Royals hockey games where they have only been allowed 50% capacity etc. Many places of employment require 2 shots or lose their jobs.

Our vaccination rate is 28% higher, and yet they still have a slightly lower number of Covid cases, with the acknowledgement that can easily change tomorrow. It just does seem though that much of what we are doing isn't helping.

It does appear that the vaccines do reduce the severity of Covid and I also accept that masks are likely helpful at all. However I do fear the economic and social disruption that is being inflicted on us will ultimately be more harmful than the virus.

So in other words you are not locked down, you go to restaurants, you go to hockey games and do whatever else you want. I'm happy to show my vaccine passport and won't patronize places that don't ask for it. We are not "locked down" we are slightly inconvenienced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The point is not the inconvenience for myself. It doesn't affect me that much. My point is that there are numerous people who have been severely inconvenienced. How many businesses do we see that have gone under? How much debt has been added on to the heavy load that future generations will occur. How much division has been caused by all of this. 

People who are afraid that the vaccines will do them long term harm are being demonized. They are labelled as anti-vaxxers, as anti-science, as just plain stupid and then excluded from restaurants, travel, and often even their place of employment.

Essentially people are being black-mailed by our governments and maybe you are ok with that. I'm not. As I said before the governments should have trusted Canadians and highly recommended the vaccine, the wearing of mask and being part of large gatherings. To take a vaccine or not is a personal decision. It does involve someone deciding to have a foreign substance injected into their body. Yes many vaccines have saved many but not all vaccines are created the same and MRNA has not been used in this way previously.

I decided, rightly or wrongly, that Covid presented a higher risk than the vaccine. Other people have decided the opposite and I respect that decision. Many don't.

• Like 1

Florida which has been fully open for sometime and which has been actively fighting in opposition to vaccine passports now has a lower rate of infections than does BC according to the CTV web site. The use of the vaccines is strongly recommended but is does not limit the freedoms of the non-vaccinated.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

Also Florida has a treatment in place for those who have had contact with the someone with the virus or even been infected by it to minimise the impact.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/treatment/

19 hours ago, Seeker said:

I urge everyone to watch this.

Not someone who I see as a trusted source of information.

Joe Rogan

American podcaster

Description

Description

Joseph James Rogan is an American podcast host, UFC color commentator, comedian, and former television presenter. Rogan began his career in comedy in August 1988 in the Boston area. Wikipedia
Born: August 11, 1967 (age 54 years), Newark, New Jersey, United States
Height: 1.72 m
Spouse: Jessica Ditzel (m. 2009)

31 minutes ago, Seeker said:

It’s not really about Joe Rogan.  Russel Brand, who I do have a lot of respect for, is using the Joe Rogan story to make a wider point.  Watch it from that POV.

Thanks but still puzzled ...... the same goes for Mr Brand.   That being said, I guess it is all about personal POVs re "who do you trust" and "Different strokes for different folks"  

What kind of person is Russell Brand?

Image result for who is russell brand

The self-styled revolutionary – and man most likely to be described as a “dandy highwayman” in interviews – has revealed that he is too “sensitive and awake and aware” to do anything so dull and predictable as change a nappy, or feed one of his two children.Jan. 23, 2019

KK:

Did you watch the video?

Whether you like or trust Rogan the facts are pretty clear.

Whether you like or trust Brand he makes some astute comments about reliability of mainstream media.

if you have some opinion on what either of them is saying that’s fair game but to say you’re going to blow them off on the basis of your opinion of them personally, I think that’s a mistake.

1 hour ago, Seeker said:

KK:

Did you watch the video?

Whether you like or trust Rogan the facts are pretty clear.

Whether you like or trust Brand he makes some astute comments about reliability of mainstream media.

if you have some opinion on what either of them is saying that’s fair game but to say you’re going to blow them off on the basis of your opinion of them personally, I think that’s a mistake.

Did not like the video. In every grain of truth there is also a spot of rot......  I never have trusted politicians or so called informed comment from people whose qualifications are that they are somewhat of a celebrity. In this I guess I am from Missouri. 

For the Noam Chomsky advocates…

Noam Chomsky: Unvaccinated should 'remove themselves from the community,' access to food 'their problem'

After the left-wing linguist was asked what separation of the unvaccinated would look like on a practical level, Chomsky said the unvaccinated should remove themselves from the community for the safety of others and make arrangements to get food without coming into contact with others.

How can we get food to them?" Chomsky told YouTube's Primo Radical Sunday. "Well, that's actually their problem." 

Chomsky, 92, compared people who do not want to get vaccinated to those who do not want to stop at red lights in traffic, saying that if people treasure their liberty so much, they should "find a way to protect it and secure it for [themselves]." 

The linguist's remarks were met with mixed reactions on Twitter, with some supporting his calls for the unvaccinated to be isolated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noam-chomsky-unvaccinated-should-remove-themselves-from-the-community-access-to-food-their-problem/ar-AAPYJFH

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

For the Noam Chomsky advocates…

Yup, it's pretty cool eh?

No problem here though, I like fishing / hunting and this would save me the pain of having to self identify as a native woman.

The fun part is that in the process of attacking others, supporters of this foolishness are far more likely to affect their own rights and freedoms (in the long run) than they are to have any immediate affect on those they are trying to hurt. I can’t help but wonder what percentage of the population has taken grade 13 biology, statistics and history... it should be mandatory. It won’t make you an expert in anything but it helps with identifying nonsense and knowing when you are being lied to.

I’m sure of one thing, if the lies and absurdities coming out of the WH about Afghanistan are extrapolated across the board…. y’all should be questioning everything you hear and paying attention to that which you don’t hear.

If you are a city dweller and stand in support of this madness, consider the current crime statistics and reflect on the chaos this would cause in your own town, especially after you defunded the police, fired the unvaccinated ones and proceed to starve that unclean minority into acts of desperation.

From what I’ve seen of the world, none of this makes a lot of sense to me. That said though, I look forward to watching the show from afar and will likely enjoy watching a whole lot more than those who will be participating in it.

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses…. Plato

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses…. Plato

What is the difference between what Chomsky said and what Marjorie Taylor Greene has said about the Jan 6 riots?

While they are both extreme views, it is the internet that is the problem that gives wings to the words that will then be taken out of context and way too seriously by those who are looking to push extreme agendas.

That is the problem with todays society.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marjorie-taylor-greene-defends-jan-6_n_617880c2e4b079111a5daf0f

If I may, I'd like to submit an alternate 'theory' with regards to the pandemic.

We have heard much of claims that the virus was manufactured, and the anti-vaxxers and those who think that the vaccines are poison and are meant to thin the herd.

I had this conversation the other day and it makes sense as well.  It went something like this...

Those in control know that the world is overpopulated and that climate change and other 'issues' are leading to the poisoning of the planet.

So, if the virus is a manufactured 'weapon', how do they control the outcome?

Maybe research has shown that there will be a certain ratio of the population that will be against the vaccines, so they made the vaccines perfectly safe and viable knowing that the majority of the population would accept them and that (let's say 10-20%) a certain amount of the population would be against it.  Of the 10-20% who are against the vaccine, maybe only 3-5% would actually perish. Voila, they thin the herd, and in the end spur economic growth through the recovery.

Also, those who perish, are the ones who are the rabble rousers of society, therefore it takes the burden off those in power.

As well, they can maintain the critical mass of humanity to keep civilization going, while saving the planet.

Yes, I post this with tongue firmly in cheek, yet when you step back and think about it, 'hot' wars are no longer in favour around the world, so instead of conflict, you have pandemic.  What's to say that it won't happen again soon?

Just an alternate 'conspiracy' to think about.