Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Coronavirus_2020.01.28

1 minute ago, Jaydee said:

Yeah, found lots of info but I was specifically looking for a CNN article to see if there was some perceptible difference in the report from the Fox report.

13 minutes ago, seeker said:

Yeah, found lots of info but I was specifically looking for a CNN article to see if there was some perceptible difference in the report from the Fox report.

too bad that those who questioned the Fox Report did not post the corresponding article / information from CNN. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

There's a reason they're only licensed here as an entertainment network, not a news service.

And the licensing authority that has made that distinction is?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marshall said:

too bad that those who questioned the Fox Report did not post the corresponding article / information from CNN. 

IMO, this is how you find people with (left / right) impenetrable political narratives. It's the plumage that allows you to identify them in the wild. 

Not only do they have their own pet news outlet but they will ridicule the other outlets and, in particular, those who might refer to them. As with all things in life, if you choose to limit your exposure, you also limit your experience. IMO, it's those two factors that are missing in our society... there is no experience without exposure. 

I

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Seeker,

Don't even bother with a response. Mitch is just taking over trolling where Deicer left off.

Maybe due to your age you need stronger glasses, I'm still here 😘

11 hours ago, Airband said:

I don't know... the CRTC maybe? 

12 minutes ago, deicer said:

wrecking ball.jpg

Has zero value, Obscene, TOTALLY FALSE, misleading, FAKE NEWS, off the rail Leftist garbage.

Edited by Jaydee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

IMO, this is how you find people with (left / right) impenetrable political narratives. It's the plumage that allows you to identify them in the wild. 

Not only do they have their own pet news outlet but they will ridicule the other outlets and, in particular, those who might refer to them. As with all things in life, if you choose to limit your exposure, you also limit your experience. IMO, it's those two factors that are missing in our society... there is no experience without exposure. 

I

Hmmm. Have you just fanned out your own plumage! If you're even half as intelligent as I think, you ought to know very well how wrong such broad categorizations can be.  And if you actually gave an ear to "fox news" once in a while, you'd know they're a veritable sewer pipe full of BS at full flow, not so much "news" at all.  

11 hours ago, Airband said:

No, I'm wrong. My apologies to all, I heard it and believed it because I thought it sounded quite right. I've just been looking and found this site: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2014/jul/14/facebook-posts/fox-news-banned-canada/ which says: 

"Fox was denied broadcast in 2003, but not because Canadians found it to be untruthful. And Fox News got its approval to broadcast via satellite in 2004 and certainly has a dish presence up north today.

This claim rates Pants on Fire."

50 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Has zero value, Obscene, TOTALLY FALSE, misleading, FAKE NEWS, off the rail Leftist garbage.

Well, how inaccurate do you make it to be when he did come in like a wrecking ball, is known for philandering naked, and is destroying everything with his pandemic response?

2 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

And if you actually gave an ear to "fox news" once in a while, you'd know they're a veritable sewer pipe full of BS at full flow, not so much "news" at all.  

I don't get Fox News so I never watch it.  I have, of course, seen short clips.  I do get CNN but can't watch it because I find it falls into your "sewer pipe" characterization above. 

I think it's safe to say that virtually every commercial news service has a bias and has decided what their editorial slant will be based on potential audience and, more importantly how much ad revenue they can generate.

The biggest negative development in how we get our news is the concept of a 24 news channel.  24 hours is a lot of airtime and it needs to be filled.  The "news" of the day might be, maybe, 30 minutes so what's the rest?  The rest of the time is filled with talking heads "editorializing" the news, in-the-street interviews with ignoramous citizens and general interest clips.  All of this repeated endlessly.

Tell me what happened - flood in Winnipeg (10 minutes).   ✔️

- commercial break (3 minutes).  ✖️

Talking heads slagging (or praising) government's plan to deal with flood (20 minutes).  ✖️

Interview with retired EMO supervisor about how to build a dyke with sandbags (10 minutes).  ✖️

Interview with people in the street -  "Floods, do we even need them?  What's your opinion?"  (5 minutes).   ✖️

Recorded clip of primary school students in Surrey collecting pennies to help the flooded in Winnipeg. (10 minutes).  ✖️

Interviews with cute kids about collecting pennies (10 minutes).  ✖️

Then - repeat the above sequence 57 times.

I really miss the good old days when you'd turn on the news at 11:00 PM and Robertson would spend 20 minutes reading the news, and then you'd go to bed.  I want to know what happened but I don't want some reporter's opinion of it, don't want or need any general interest stories, don't care what the fool in the street thinks about it and don't care about what the cute kids are doing.

Now, with the above going on at 3 competing channels how do you get viewers to your channel?  You hire journalists with lots of "opinion" which attracts viewers with the same opinion and there's your feedback loop.

I close with a couple of Walter Cronkite (really miss journalists like this) quotes;

- "The ethic of the journalist is to recognize one's prejudices, biases, and avoid getting them into print."

- "The profession of journalism ought to be about telling people what they need to know - not what they want to know."

- ".....just as long as in reporting the news we adhere to the first ideals of good journalism - that news reports must be fair, accurate and unbiased."

- "We've got a great percentage of our population that, to our great shame, either cannot or, equally unfortunate, will not read. And that portion of our public is growing. Those people are suckers for the demagogue."

- "Our job is only to hold up the mirror - to tell and show the public what has happened."

- "For many years, I did my best to report on the issues of the day in as objective a manner as possible. When I had my own strong opinions, as I often did, I tried not to communicate them to my audience."

Edited by seeker
spelling, grammar, structure, added Cronkite quotes
  • Thanks 3

You've nailed it Seeker. Absolutely. I'm sorry I'm unable to add anything to the conversation at this point, since you (and Walter Cronkite) have summed it up perfectly. :)

Cheers,

Mitch 

19 minutes ago, seeker said:

"opinion" which attracts viewers with same opinion and there's your feedback loop.

After the briefest of conversations, and without the aid of binoculars or a guide book, you can usually discern the colour of their plumage pretty easily. 

Unfortunately, no amount of experience or facts can overcome opinion and narrative.... and that was my point above. You may have sailed around the world but the people who believe it's flat are undeterred, they will post links to sites claiming it's not. All you can do is strive to out vote them on election day. They dwell on both ends of the spectrum, places where broad characterizations become more true as you march toward the frontiers. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

At least Kenney’s taking a stand on China

• Calgary Sun
  • 17 May 2020
  • LORNE GUNTER lgunter@postmedia.com @sunlornegunter
img?regionKey=ypN7GXT2EPWxvh0fQXWxug%3d%3d  

“Western countries, including Canada and the United States, must have a reset in their relationship with China — and part of that reset, in my judgment, must be a deliberate effort to onshore production, particularly on critical supplies.”

That’s what Alberta Premier Jason Kenney told a virtual roundtable sponsored by the Canadian American Business Council on Wednesday.

“I think the Chinese government played a significant role in the devastating public health and economic damage that is being experienced by the entire world,” Kenney added. “There must be some accountability.”

Those are bold words for a politician — clear, unambiguous — especially given that Kenney is hoping for a pipeline to the West Coast so his province (which is suffering from low world oil prices, as well as the pandemic) can resurrect its economy with oil sales to China.

Kenney, of course, is correct: China’s efforts to cover up the first outbreak of COVID-19 in and around the city of Wuhan in December has made the human and economic tolls many times worse.

For nearly seven weeks in December and January, China first denied there was a novel coronavirus ravaging its Hubei province, then tried to cover up the extent.

China’s Communist government refused for nearly a month to permit World Health Organization (WHO) scientists into Wuhan to assess what was going on. About that same time, the Communist regime began “disappearing” doctors, activists, lawyers and journalists who were trying to warn their fellow citizens of a new superflu.

By the time Beijing admitted it had an epidemic on its hands, travellers from Wuhan (and visitors to Wuhan who were returning home) had “seeded” the coronavirus in several countries.

Once the plague began spreading, China refused to give live samples of the virus to other countries to help them prepare for the onslaught.

China also concealed what it knew about symptoms, at first denying there was human-to-human transmission, then insisting there were just two symptoms.

This probably meant doctors in other countries missed many of the early patients who showed up at clinics and hospitals and failed to get them into isolation, which accelerated the spread.

Beijing now is masterminding a worldwide propaganda campaign to draw attention away from its role.

At the same time, it is making it difficult, if not impossible, for WHO inspectors to participate in investigations inside China about where the virus originated and how it spread so quickly among humans.

This virus may or may not have originated in a virology lab in Wuhan. Western intelligence agencies have denied White House reports that COVID-19 escaped from China’s main virus lab, which just happens to be in Wuhan, a few blocks from the wet market where the sale of diseased bats is said to have begun the human spread.

Even if the coronavirus was not a bioweapon gone bad, Western intelligence agencies are warning their governments that China is spying on COVID researchers in other countries in an attempt to steal formulas for vaccines, treatments and more accurate tests.

Kenney concluded his remarks to business leaders by saying it’s time for a “great reckoning,” with plenty of political and economic consequences for China’s autocratic leaders.

Now contrast that with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who still insists any criticism of China is merely fuelling racism in Canada.

Wednesday, after polls showed Canadians overwhelming want China held to account, Trudeau finally summed the strength to say he would have some tough questions for China (but also some other countries).

My guess is Trudeau’s desire for China’s support in Canada’s UN Security Council bid will prevent him from asking anything tougher than “Hey, is there any way to make colourful socks less expensive?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New post (because I see Wolfhunter has replied to mine already - that guy is fast!)

We, in the aviation world, all know how inaccurate, facile, specious and incompetent journalists are when reporting something aviation-related so why should we, or would, we believe anything they say about something we don't have experience with? 

Add to this clear and specific examples of malfeasence such as CNN editing Trump videos to make him look bad - well, to me, that's a mortal and unforgivable sin.  If you lie to me when your sole purpose in the world is to tell me the truth and then refuse to admit and apologize/make amends when the lie is spotted and exposed - our relationship is broken forever.

No one will ever be able to convince me that CNN is worth watching.  I place them on the spectrum right beside Kim Kardashian.  They're not fluff but an actual blackhole which sucks intelligence and the ability perform rational analysis right out of my brain.

I mention CNN several times but I feel much the same about CBC, CTV - all of them.  Don't have exposure to Fox but expect I would feel the same about them too.

These large commercial news channels have one valid purpose; to tell you "something" happened but you have to then go somewhere else to get the factual details.

Edited by seeker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deicer said:

philandering naked

I imagine philandering fully clothed would take some of the joy out of it.

Calgary Sun:

Even if the coronavirus was not a bioweapon gone bad, Western intelligence agencies are warning their governments that China is spying on COVID researchers in other countries in an attempt to steal formulas for vaccines, treatments and more accurate tests.

Right, and balance that with the news today:

Health authorities in Canada have approved the country's first clinical trial for a COVID-19 vaccine, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said.

While Trudeau did not discuss where the possible vaccine was being developed, the National Research Council announced earlier this week that it would collaborate with CanSino Biologics Inc, a company based in China.

The company's vaccine effort is backed and funded in part by the Chinese government.

If you wrote this into a movie plot about a government conspiracy, it wouldn't be accepted - too unrealistic.

Edited by seeker

24 minutes ago, seeker said:

No one will ever be able to convince me that CNN is worth watching.  I place them on the spectrum right beside Kim Kardashian.  They're not fluff but an actual blackhole which sucks intelligence and the ability perform rational analysis right out of my brain.

I mention CNN several times but I feel much the same about CBC, CTV - all of them. 

2D9A56CC-98CC-43E7-85FC-FE11D241DBEA.jpeg

Check out who leads the pack. The two worst places in the world just happen to be run by the Left. Pure coincidence I suppose. Absolute no correlation about political philosophies and how to deal with problems. After all, apparently it’s all Trumps fault .

33155058-3E7A-496D-8245-A48B9B7B5D5B.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

it’s all Trumps fault .

33155058-3E7A-496D-8245-A48B9B7B5D5B.jpeg

Well, he is a disease that lives in New York.

1 hour ago, Airband said:

I imagine philandering fully clothed would take some of the joy out of it.

Not always.  Ever hear of cosplay?  Try it some time...