Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Coronavirus_2020.01.28

1 hour ago, Fido said:

This has been going on for years.

If someone died of anything but they had once been a smoker then it was smoking that caused their death.

'Really? 

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

'Really? 

You haven't noticed this? 

It came in the same Liberal box labeled law abiding, daily vetted gun owners being compared to a pyromaniac serial killer, wife abusing,  police impersonator with illegal weapons, illegally acquired, illegally used, illegally transported, illegally discharged.... all by a person in illegal possession of the things in the first place. 

I bet he died of smoking...

Better yet, I'll settle for someone explaining how AR15s fit into the hereditary rights of aboriginal hunters...

Dumb grunt needs liberal assistance, please help!

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Better yet, I'll settle for someone explaining how AR15s fit into the hereditary rights of aboriginal hunters...

Dumb grunt needs liberal assistance, please help!

I'm going to go with; argumentum ad captandum.

Interesting. Published by a division of the Washington Post. Foreignpolicy.com

Leaked Chinese Virus Database Covers 230 Cities, 640,000 Updates

New information may offer insight into the honesty of China’s coronavirus numbers.

While not fully comprehensive, the data is incredibly rich: There are more than 640,000 updates of information, covering at least 230 cities—in other words, 640,000 rows purporting to show the number of cases in a specific location at the time the data was gathered.

While not fully comprehensive, the data is incredibly rich: There are more than 640,000 updates of information, covering at least 230 cities—in other words, 640,000 rows purporting to show the number of cases in a specific location at the time the data was gathered.

Each update includes the latitude, longitude, and “confirmed” number of cases at the location, for dates ranging from early February to late April.

For locations in and around the center of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei province, the data also includes deaths and those who “recovered.” It’s unclear how the dataset’s authors define “confirmed” and “recovered”: Like other countries, China has updated its counting methods, as demonstrated in mid-February when Hubei’s reported cases spiked because officials announcedthey were including patients diagnosed with CT scans. Unlike in other countries, China’s outbreak peaked before rigorous testing methods were widely available, and the Communist Party often manipulates data for political purposes.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/12/leaked-chinese-coronavirus-database-number-cases/

Can you really trust anything from the government....Interesting data collection techniques.....manipulated to suit the program:

Most problematic are the categories of "found" guns and illegal acquisition. Say a lawful firearms owner dies, leaving behind a hunting rifle that his widow has no lawful authority to possess. She surrenders it to police; the gun probably isn't a threat to public safety, but it could still be listed as a "crime gun."

From the CBC no less.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-crime-statistics-1.4779702

9 minutes ago, st27 said:

Can you really trust anything from the government....Interesting data collection techniques.....manipulated to suit the program:

From the CBC no less.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-crime-statistics-1.4779702

Thanks for posting that link.  And, the answer to your question is; no, you cannot trust anything from the government.

I'm shocked that such an article describing obvious manipulation would appear in the CBC, of course it is from 2 years ago.

Edited by seeker

The thread hijack was entirely my fault, sorry... but thanks for the link, there is lots more to come as the media digs into this. The firearms community has been saying this for years now....

Hopefully I'm wrong here, but I fear what’s getting lost in the Covid19 reopening euphoria is the notion of what comes next.  

Farmers in my area are still having trouble sourcing farm labour, they are falling behind schedule and the media has jumped on the meat shortage band wagon which is likely to scare people into hoarding.

Sales of freezers (locally) is just as brisk as new gun sales, bulk flower and yeast is still hard to come by and overseas, some places in Africa are already in serious trouble. Due to a near perfect storm, some are already on the verge of starvation while US hog producers euthanize millions of pigs.

While I’m not an MBA crew member (or even on the friends list) it seems clear to me that centralized food processing (packing dispersal etc) has economies of scale but those savings come at a big price.    

Edited by Wolfhunter

5 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

While I’m not an MBA crew member (or even on the friends list) it seems clear to me that centralized food processing (packing dispersal etc) has economies of scale but those savings come at a big price.    

I was watching an interesting Rogan show from a few years ago with Randall Carlson talking about the Younger Dryas impact hypothesis (large comet or asteroid impact in the USA).  Anyway the discussion turned to "what would we do if even a much smaller asteroid hit the Earth and disrupted the supply chain".  Interesting show. 

We can see now that the "preppers" have it right - our society really is a house of cards; just-in-time manufacturing, long, thin, supply chains, food sources on the other side of the planet.  The wise will be keeping careful notes and creating or fine-tuning their plan.  Certain critical items could and should be kept; flour, yeast, 50 lb bags of rice - make a list of all the stuff you found yourself suddenly short of when you couldn't go to the grocery store every 2nd day.

My wife isn't a prepper but she's driven to buy stuff when it's on sale - over the last 2 months the only thing we've had to buy was fresh produce and dairy neither of which is truly essential worst case. 

28 minutes ago, seeker said:

our society really is a house of cards; just-in-time manufacturing, long, thin, supply chains, food sources on the other side of the planet.

Indeed. And without this experience people would have ridiculed anyone who suggested it as a potential problem. Cause and effect thinking is problematic across the board and hopefully this serves as instructive for the masses who suffer from opinion overload and experience deficit.

It's not so much that these things exist, it's that there is total reliance on them, a complete lack of redundancy and a deficit of infrastructure ready to take up the slack even if the need for redundancy is acknowledged. The family farm supplying regional processing plants (as in the days of yore) comes instantly to mind but the examples are legion. 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

I was watching an interesting Rogan show from a few years ago with Randall Carlson talking about the Younger Dryas impact hypothesis (large comet or asteroid impact in the USA).  Anyway the discussion turned to "what would we do if even a much smaller asteroid hit the Earth and disrupted the supply chain".  Interesting show. 

We can see now that the "preppers" have it right - our society really is a house of cards; just-in-time manufacturing, long, thin, supply chains, food sources on the other side of the planet.  The wise will be keeping careful notes and creating or fine-tuning their plan.  Certain critical items could and should be kept; flour, yeast, 50 lb bags of rice - make a list of all the stuff you found yourself suddenly short of when you couldn't go to the grocery store every 2nd day.

My wife isn't a prepper but she's driven to buy stuff when it's on sale - over the last 2 months the only thing we've had to buy was fresh produce and dairy neither of which is truly essential worst case. 

One thing that I noticed was how fast thousands of Plexiglass shields were supplied to and installed in stores.  A feat of fast manufacturing or was there somehow / some where an enormous supply warehoused just in case?  Interestingly for those who hate oil, the main component of the product

comes from oil. 

15 hours ago, Marshall said:

'Really? 

unless they got hit by a bus.  then it was definitely the bus.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, boestar said:

unless they got hit by a bus.  then it was definitely the bus.

But maybe they didn't see the bus due to smoke getting into their eyes.  😀

you could ask him but I'm not sure you would get a response

Bennett & Leibsohn: Coronavirus response — compare Florida with New York, and look at the results so far

A forgotten principle of public policy reform: focus on failure and you will get failure, focus on success and you will get success. Looking at the past two months of our state responses to the coronavirus, it is time to revive that idea. 

There’s one state in America that has a larger elderly population than New York, that is more ethnically diverse than New York, and that has two million more people than New York. Yet its death rate from COVID-19 is 5 percent that of New York. That state is Florida. 

The tale of these two states, New York and Florida, illustrates that perhaps the media should have been less adulatory of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and given Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis more attention. Instead, the facts and statistics reveal the media got this backward. 

LIZ PEEK: BIDEN ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS TURN RACE ON ITS HEAD – HERE'S WHY 

In March, Florida was projected to be the second-worst state for COVID-19 deaths, with predictions of 174 per day and a total of nearly 7,000 by the end of the summer.  Nothing like this has transpired and it will not come to pass.   

Meanwhile, Cuomo’s daily press briefings have been covered in full, and he has been lauded as everything from “The Golden Governor” to “The Politician of the Moment.” DeSantis, however, receives headlines such as “Florida Governor Issues Coronavirus Stay at Home Order After Heavy Criticism” and “Florida Governor Keeps Hitting New Lows In the Battle Against Coronavirus.”

Yet while New York kept chalking up bigger and bigger infection rates and deaths, Florida contained its problems early and without the heavy hand so many urged. 

While one might be tempted to point out the ways in which New York and Florida are different, and there are differences, a few things of a comparative nature are not well-understood. As is well documented, the most vulnerable population for the coronavirus is in the 65-plus age group.  

Only one state has a higher percentage of elder Americans living in it than Florida — Maine. In Florida, that population constitutes over 20 percent of the state. In New York, it’s just over 16 percent. Florida is also more ethnically diverse than New York. While 17 percent of Florida’s population is African-American and New York’s is just under 18 percent, Florida’s Hispanic population is 26 percent to New York’s 19.2. Florida is also a much more populous state than New York with about two million more residents. 

But Florida has done well with the coronavirus, as the media is quiet to report, while New York has not. Of the 55,425 COVID-19 deaths in America, New York (with over 22,000 deaths) is responsible for over 40 percent while Florida (with nearly 1,100 deaths) is responsible for just under 2 percent. Yet, Florida shut down its state much later than New York, almost two weeks later.  And there was much criticism for its delay. The shutdown in Florida was also much less severe than New York’s. Florida did not close churches and synagogues, nor did it order the shuttering of most of its beaches. 

DeSantis was criticized for being late in his “shutdown.” Wrong: It wasn’t late, it was targeted to the vulnerable population, and was less restrictive overall.   

What DeSantis did do was take a much more vertical approach to the virus than others, like Cuomo. In early March, DeSantis put out targeted and preventative messaging to his elder population, advising them to stay at home. In places like The Villages (home to over 125,000 retirees), DeSantis implemented golf-cart drive-through coronavirus testing. He deployed the National Guard to help institute testing in the state’s nursing homes where, unlike New York, older COVID-19 patients were not sent.   

Early on, DeSantis suspended visitation and ordered staff screening at long-term care facilities.  He also dispatched millions of masks and gloves and hundreds of thousands of face shields and gowns, also known as personal protective equipment, to nursing homes and other centers caring for the elderly. These actions, among others, led Florida to a 93 percent better per capita long-term care facility death rate than New York.   

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/coronavirus-response-florida-new-york-results-compare-william-bennett-seth-leibsohn

Crikey JayDee, you sure seem to quote 'questionable' sources an awful lot. Fox News? Really? There's a reason they're only licensed here as an entertainment network, not a news service. Most people I know recognize Fox News, Brightbart, Steve Bannon and Alex Jones are only after an audience and couldn't care less about truth. ...but you seem to believe an awful lot of the stories they tell? I read something yesterday from a guy in some state south of us who claimed Fox "News" was the only cable "news" channel available in his area, and I thought of you? Is that the case where you are?

If so, or in any case, you've been led down a garden path. Almost everything you'll hear from those "sources" will be either outright fabricated nonsense, or completely twisted truth. 

You don't seriously believe DeSantis has done a better job than Cuomo, do you?

42 minutes ago, Mitch Cronin said:

Crikey JayDee, you sure seem to quote 'questionable' sources an awful lot. Fox News? Really? There's a reason they're only licensed here as an entertainment network, not a news service. Most people I know recognize Fox News, Brightbart, Steve Bannon and Alex Jones are only after an audience and couldn't care less about truth. ...but you seem to believe an awful lot of the stories they tell? I read something yesterday from a guy in some state south of us who claimed Fox "News" was the only cable "news" channel available in his area, and I thought of you? Is that the case where you are?

If so, or in any case, you've been led down a garden path. Almost everything you'll hear from those "sources" will be either outright fabricated nonsense, or completely twisted truth. 

You don't seriously believe DeSantis has done a better job than Cuomo, do you?

New York, 348,232 cases with 22,478 deaths, population 19,500,000

Florida, 44, 000 cases with 1900 deaths, population 21,500,000

So, Florida has a higher population with, essentially 1/10 the cases and 1/10 the deaths.  No doubt Florida has an older population too. I don't know how much of the credit or blame you can lay on the govenors but your last incredulous question does not seem to be supported.  Can I ask, what makes you say that DeSantis has done a worse job?  I ask in all seriousness because, honestly, I don't follow it much.

Seeker,

Don't even bother with a response. Mitch is just taking over trolling where Deicer left off.

3 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Seeker,

Mitch is just taking over trolling where Deicer left off.

I don't even see deicer's posts anymore - I've never been more serene!  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Seeker... Mostly because DeSantis has exposed his intellect too many times to be unsure he's an idiot. Also, it's been reported that the "count" in Florida is being intentionally deflated. See if you can find numbers for deaths by other causes and you'll be there... A numbers tested count would be good to know as well.

You've seen how people have behaved in Florida... Do you really think the cases reported there are, or even could be, accurate? 

I'm now editing this to add: I recognize this is a weak answer. Sorry about that, I'm just tired of it all. Suffice it to say that simply based on my own estimation of each of those two men, I'd trust Cuomo with my life but I wouldn't trust DeSantis with my wheelbarrow.

Cheers,

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Cronin
addendum

1 minute ago, Mitch Cronin said:

Do you really think the cases reported there are, or even could be, accurate? 

Well, don't know really.  One thing I have heard about though is doctors (in other jurisdictions) being instructed to use "Covid" as the cause of death as much as possible - apparently there is some financial payment to hospitals that increases if Covid is the cause and with doctors wages being directly controlled by the financial status of the hospital - well, you can see the problem.  If this is true - are those numbers correct either?  The truth is out there but, sadly, not available to me

I did go look to see if I could find a CNN article comparing Florida to NY or even an article discussing the Florida situation but couldn't find one. 

• Thanks 1

Seeker,

Yeah, you're right, I just tried too... Maybe those numbers are real, I have no idea. In any case, please see my edited post above, and thanks for not accepting me as a "troll". :)

1 minute ago, Mitch Cronin said:

and thanks for not accepting me as a "troll". :)

Never Mitch, I might disagree from time to time but based on our long forum history I'll never call you a troll.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seeker said:

I don't even see deicer's posts anymore - I've never been more serene!  🙂

Mitch isn't a troll, he just has , I guess, changed a lot from the airline employee who  retired on a defined benefit pension - or did he (because of  his airline and union)  to someone who rightfully or not is questioning his past and the industry who got them for him\ while still ,maybe benefiting from both. Quite the puzzle  to the rest of us. I do not know him other than on this forum but I know who some who have given up all the "gains from the bad industries) aviation, oil etc and elected to retreat to the woods.  No petroleum powered appliances, off the grid when it comes to electricity, gave up their dirty pensions etc and although I don't agree with them I can admire their resolve,  perhaps Mitch is one of them, as for the those who make no personal sacrifice to their beliefs, they talk a great game plan but fail in the execution of the game.

I would however be surprised if Mitch can not fathom why I think the way I do about anything that I support. As the old wise man said, "Different strokes for different folks"  Are we not lucky that each of us has the right and the ability to express our thoughts freely.  Something to be said for our democratic way of life. 

Edited by Marshall
edited to clarify my thoughts or at least I think I did, the edit was after firefox and Jaydee expressed their support , I hope they feel free to cancel that after reading my edited comment.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1