Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Coronavirus_2020.01.28

14 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

44 Texas Students Have Coronavirus After Spring Break Trip

Ah, champions of taxing the 1% . Grandma luv's em to death 

The 1% have been on the verge of paying grandma's medical bills since 54BC. She's still waiting....

Edited by Wolfhunter

Coronavirus: Confirmed global cases pass one million

More than a million cases of coronavirus have been registered globally, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University - another grim milestone as the world grapples with the spreading pandemic.

More than 51,000 people have died and more than 208,000 have recovered, according to the university's figures.

The US accounts for the most cases; Italy the highest death toll.

The disease, Covid-19, first emerged in central China three months ago.

Though the tally kept by Johns Hopkins records one million confirmed cases, the actual number is thought to be much higher.

It took a month and a half for the first 100,000 cases to be registered. A million was reached after a doubling in cases over the past week.

Nearly a quarter of cases have been registered in the United States, while Europe accounts for around half.

A triumph for common sense and rational thought in the wake of bitter experience:

From masks don't work to masks are mandatory in 24 hours....  https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-city-fine-people-who-dont-cover-faces-outside-coronavirus

Before that it was border controls don't work.... we are closing the borders. 

Rational thought, common sense and cause/effect thinking has gained more traction in the last 2 weeks than in the previous 30 years.

Edited by Wolfhunter

23 hours ago, seeker said:

Yeah, of course, I hope people follow the public health recommendations but the point is that , in relative terms, this is not a significant event.

I agree.

Reporter: “Prime Minister Trudeau, what can you tell us about what you plan for breakfast tomorrow.”

Trudeau: “We recognize the interest in breakfast of all kinds. Canadians understand that breakfast is a meal that many of us have: parents, children, grandparents, your neighbours who won’t leave. That’s why our government is investing in breakfasts. So all Canadians can have it- if they want, or not have it. That's why we need to collect more data on the kinds of breakfasts before I can tell you what my breakfast might be tomorrow.”

Religions march in lockstep at time of crisis....

Mosques in Pakistan remain open despite virus’s spread

ISLAMABAD — Mosques were allowed to remain open in Pakistan on Friday, when Muslims gather for weekly prayers, even as the coronavirus pandemic spread and much of the country had shut down.

Prime Minister Imran Khan is relying on restricting the size of congregations attending mosques and advice to stay at home from religious groups like the country’s Islamic Ideology Council.

However, some provinces have issued their own lockdown orders to prevent Muslims from gathering for Friday prayers. In southern Sindh province, a complete lockdown is being enforced from noon until 3 p.m., the time when the faithful gather for prayers. Anyone found on the streets will be arrested, according to the provincial local government minister in a statement.

In eastern Punjab province, where 60 percent of Pakistan’s 220 million people live, checkpoints have been set up in major cities stopping people from congregating.

Still, mosques remain open in Pakistan, even as they have been shut down across much of the Middle East and elsewhere. The Middle East has confirmed over 85,000 cases of the virus and over 3,700 deaths, most of them in Iran.

Pakistan, with 2,450 confirmed cases and 36 deaths, has been sharply criticized for moving too slow to curb large gatherings, including a gathering of tens of thousands of Muslims from several Islamic countries in March. The gathering of Tableeghi Jamaat missionaries is blamed for several outbreaks of the new virus elsewhere in the world. The first confirmed cases that emerged in Gaza were traced to the gathering.

Associated Press

Israeli city criticized for ignoring pleas to self-isolate

BNEI BRAK, Israel — Early this week, the streets of the central Israeli city of Bnei Brak were bustling with shoppers as ultra-Orthodox residents, obeying their religious leaders, ignored pleas to stay home in the face of the coronavirus threat.

By Friday, Bnei Brak had become the country’s worst hot spot and now resembles a ghost town. The military will soon be sending in troops to assist local authorities. One expert estimated that nearly 40 percent of the city’s population might already have been infected.

The city has become a lightning rod for anger and frustration by some secular Israelis who allege insular Haredi communities — with disproportionately high numbers of confirmed cases — are undermining national efforts to contain the virus.

The pandemic has threatened to upend deep-seated customs in the religious world, including blind obedience to religious leaders and the belief that religious studies and traditions take precedence over the rules of a modern state.

The crisis is rooted in a combination of factors. Israel’s ultra-Orthodox tend to live in poor, crowded neighborhoods where sickness can quickly spread. Synagogues, the centerpiece of social life, bring men together to pray and socialize in small spaces.

Associated Press

2 hours ago, Airband said:

Religions march in lockstep at time of crisis....

...much like they are regards to motorcycle helmet laws in Canada...they will be protected from harm... :Scratch-Head:

Edited by Jaydee

I wonder what the White House reaction to this will be...

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-04-20/h_1f631979b35b4bcfa05223e75c101e9b

NY governor says China is donating 1,000 ventilators to the state

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today that New York will receive 1,140 ventilators from China and Oregon.

The Chinese government has facilitated a donation of 1,000 ventilators that are expected to arrive at JFK Airport today, Cuomo said moments ago during a press conference.

"This is a big deal and it's going to make a significant difference for us. Also, the state of Oregon contacted us and is going to send 140 ventilators," Cuomo added. "Which is I can tell you just astonishing and unexpected. And I want to thank Gov. Brown, I want to thank all of the people in the state of Oregon for their thoughtfulness."

3 hours ago, deicer said:

I wonder what the White House reaction to this will be...

They will probably say thank you.

As I recall, the US sent about 20 tons of medical aid to China sometime back in February; I bet China said thank you too. Actually I'm a bit surprised the media hasn't attacked Trump and the WH for doing that yet... JT took a bit of a hit but liberals defended it as friends helping friends; a sentiment I tend to agree with BTW.  Opposition noise came after the fact, it sounded petulant and self serving to me.

That said, generally I think our opposition party and media outlets have conducted themselves pretty well under the circumstances, I can't say the same thing about the US though.

And Canada may not be saying thank you to the US for medical equipment. Flaming rhetoric aside, by know it should be clear to all that access to essential medical supplies manufactured offshore is a potential vulnerability and security risk.  

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2020/04/03/donald-trump-is-blocking-exports-of-medical-equipment-hes-putting-canadas-trust-in-the-us-to-a-potentially-deadly-test.html

Edited by Wolfhunter

Not as bad as they first told us?

” Published in one of the worlds most prestigious medical journals and doesn't make the public news.... I wonder why that is???

MONDAY, March 30, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Once infected with the new coronavirus, a 20-something has about a 1% chance of illness so severe it requires hospitalization, and that risk rises to more than 8% for people in their 50s and to nearly 19% for people over 80, a comprehensive new analysis finds.

On the other hand, the death rate from COVID-19 is significantly lower than that seen in prior estimates, the new report found. Among diagnosed cases, just under 1.4% of patients will die, according to a team led by Neil Ferguson, of the Imperial College London.

And when undiagnosed cases -- typically individuals with mild or no symptoms -- are added into the mix, the overall death rate from coronavirus infections drops further to 0.66%, the British researchers found.

A person's odds for death after infection with the new coronavirus also rose with age. An estimated 0.031% of people in their 20s will die, the new analysis found, compared to 7.8% of people over 80.

The new report, based on data from almost 44,700 cases occurring in mainland China, was published March 30 in The Lancet Infectious Diseases medical journal.”

Just watching CBC news on the tube - apparently some teenagers at a house party in Mississauga/Brampton were given a $100,000 ticket for violating the Health Order.  That's not a misprint - one hundred thousand dollars!

American scientists say they’ve found potential COVID-19 cure

In a study published Thursday in EBioMedicine, scientists say they have developed a COVID-19 vaccine that can be pushed out quickly that it will “significantly impact the spread of the disease.”

The scientists produced a vaccine that will be administered via a patch the size of a fingertip. The patch contains 400 “microneedles” made of sugar and protein pieces.

The patch is applied much like a stick-on bandage with the needles dissolving into the skin.

The vaccine they produced was tested on mice and it contained enough antibodies the scientists feel will successfully reverse the novel coronavirus.

So how were the scientists able to work so fast on the vaccine? They say they had already completed research on SARS and MERS, which are similar to COVID-19.

“These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” study co-author Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine said in a statement. “We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”

https://winnipegsun.com/news/world/american-scientists-say-theyve-found-potential-covid-19-cure/wcm/10250eca-28ea-4ce4-bf0b-2a1ef176f1ae?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1585960958