Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Coronavirus_2020.01.28

Italy running an 82% death rate.  Total Deaths verses total recovered 

B55FA248-7707-464A-B0F4-0F125D71D5D9.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Italy running an 82% death rate.  Total Deaths verses total recovered 

That might be a bit high; if there were 13,509 cases and 6077 people died, that's a little under 45%. 

Still bad odds but Italy has a largely older population, they were a bit slow to dump fuel and experienced the lock point effect as a result, something to be avoided....  and a lesson for all. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

A question:

Does anyone KNOW a friend who has contracted the virus?

Not a friend-of-a-friend but someone who is family or neighbour and not someone you heard about on TV.

4 minutes ago, Fido said:

A question:

Not a friend-of-a-friend but someone who is family or neighbour and not someone you heard about on TV.

Gotta love a good conspiracy theory......I'm game, lay it on me.

Edited by seeker

42 minutes ago, Fido said:

A question:

Zero

52 minutes ago, seeker said:

Gotta love a good conspiracy theory......I'm game, lay it on me.

No conspiracy.

I just got thinking today of my whole family who are 'social distancing' and I thought "From what?"

58 minutes ago, Fido said:

No conspiracy.

I just got thinking today of my whole family who are 'social distancing' and I thought "From what?"

Darn.  I thought you were going to go on a long tear about how the whole thing was being faked.  Was looking forward to it actually.

Trudeau government to impose emergency powers to tax and spend without parliamentary approval.

In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the federal Liberals are poised to table a bill granting them sweeping new powers to spend money and raise taxes without having to get the approval of Parliament.

Global News has seen a copy of the legislation set to be tabled Tuesday when a small number of MPs from all parties return to Ottawa to pass a multibillion-dollar coronavirus support package.

The legislation grants Finance Minister Bill Morneau extraordinary new powers to spend, borrow and tax without having to get the approval of opposition MPs until December 2021.

READ MORE: ‘Enough is enough,’ Trudeau warns Canadians flouting coronavirus social distancing

The Canadian Constitution enshrines taxation as a power of the parliamentary branch.

Because of that, granting those powers to the federal cabinet alone is highly unusual – even the Emergency Powers Act does not do so.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6720551/justin-trudeau-coronavirus-support-bill/

Edited by Jaydee

Update from Rona Ambrose re the above...

” 

Hello friends! I thought I’d write a short note for all you policy geeks on how and why the federal government may decide to introduce the Emergencies Act. Bottom line, they would only do this to support the work of the provinces, protect the health of Canadians, to make sure essential services continue to be delivered to help us get through the COVID crisis and make sure all those workers are compensated and supported when they go to work every day on our behalf. They can’t invoke the Act without meaningful consultations with the provinces. 

There are many areas of the Act that are troublesome from a civil liberties perspective and they should not be invoked.  Importantly, the Provinces provide a check and balance here.  In fact, the Act is clear that every step of the way the Provinces must be properly consulted about actions the federal government takes, and any action must “not unduly impair the ability of any province to take measures”, including maintaining provincial control over police forces. 

Here’s a primer for you: 

The Emergencies Act has four different parts, each of which apply to a particular type of emergency.  In this case, the COVID pandemic would qualify as a ”Public Welfare Emergency”, which covers diseases that may result in a danger to life or property, social disruption or a breakdown in the flow of essential goods, services, or resources.

If the federal government seeks to use the Emergencies Act it must first consult each affected province.  (If, however, only one province is principally affected, the federal government may not invoke the Emergencies Act unless the province indicates the emergency exceeds the capacity of authority of that province to deal with it.)

Do we think the Provinces have reached their capacity to deal with this crisis? Undoubtedly, this will be talked about on the call between the Prime Minister and Premiers tonight (March 23).  If they ask for further assistance, actions by the federal government under the Emergencies Act can be limited, targeted and must be done, according to the Act, in coordination with the Provinces.  That is in part why meaningful consultation with the Provinces is required. 

Importantly, even if the Act is used the Provinces can continue to deal with the COVID emergency on their own in many areas.  For instance, they may decide to continue to make their own decisions about mobility of people, quarantine, and essential services that are within their jurisdiction. 

What can the federal Emergency Act do that is different and would help? 

1) It allows the federal government to designate what sectors of our economy are essential services and in doing so this ensures those companies remain open and are compensated for it.  From a national perspective, we can imagine sectors like transportation, rail, pipelines, medical equipment, utilities, defense contractors, etc.  These are sectors or companies and their supply chains that are key to ensure we can get through this crisis. 

2) It allows the federal government to access funding outside of the normal budget.  So far, they have increased the monetary allocations in a number of existing programs. This crisis may need the government to be creative and flexible with funding options outside the normal budget envelopes. 

3) It allows the federal government to direct companies to develop, create, and produce things that are needed in this state of emergency. This may not be necessary at this point but could become useful. 

4) It allows the federal government to regulate the distribution and availability of essential foods, services and resources, if needed.

5) It allows the establishment of emergency shelters and hospitals. 

From an economic point of view, it would be helpful if the federal government designated essential services across Canada, especially federally regulated services so they have the assurance they will be supported and compensated for staying open and their workers will be protected.   It would also be helpful for the government to have maximum fiscal flexibilty to deal with this crisis. 

Hope that helps you understand better under what circumstances this may happen.  

Stay healthy and stay home, Rona’ “

Troops on Canadian streets in battle dress.

After all that is what his father did.

Trudeau's boys and girls have that figured out.

They will recall Parliament and have the nearest MP's come in to pass it.  They will keep up the Corona shaming until the far away MP's cannot get there.

Then the closest ones will vote (they are majority Liberals).

Now there is a conspiracy theory.

13 minutes ago, Fido said:

Trudeau's boys and girls have that figured out.

They will recall Parliament and have the nearest MP's come in to pass it.  They will keep up the Corona shaming until the far away MP's cannot get there.

Then the closest ones will vote (they are majority Liberals).

Now there is a conspiracy theory.

he Constitution Act, 1867 establishes a quorum of twenty members (including the member presiding) for the House of Commons. Any member may request a count of the members to ascertain the presence of a quorum; if however, the Speaker feels that at least twenty members are clearly in the Chamber, he or she may deny the request. If a count does occur, and reveals that fewer than twenty members are present, the Speaker orders bells to be rung, so that other members on the parliamentary precincts may come to the Chamber. If, after a second count, a quorum is still not present, the Speaker must adjourn the House until the next sitting day.

We can't shred the constitution to fight the virus

Now Justin Trudeau wants more power than the King of England had in 1215.

It took us many more years, centuries even, to get to the point where the common man had his say, nevermind the common woman. We shouldn’t rip that up in haste for any reason.

The Trudeau Liberals have already been told they need to change this legislation and they must. Let’s hope that they are not foolish enough to ask Parliament to neuter itself and allow Bill Morneau unfettered control of this country until December 2021.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-we-cant-shred-the-constitution-to-fight-the-virus

3 hours ago, Jaydee said:

It took us many more years, centuries even, to get to the point where the common man had his say, nevermind the common woman. We shouldn’t rip that up in haste for any reason.

IMO, emergency powers exist for a reason. They’re a tool for the wise… but (and there’s always a but), woe to the government who misuses those powers in a democracy such as ours, they will rightly answer to voters for any excess.

Again IMO, compliance with direction (in any situation deemed by lawful authority to be an  emergency) is simply a duty of citizenship. Unfortunately, an entire generation has grown up in a bubble; somehow believing themselves to be “special” all the while failing to realize that they most certainly are not.

More to the point, I question the reasoning of any citizen not wanting a democratically elected government to have access to emergency powers in an emergency.

If the reason is because they don’t like JT, that’s simply not good enough. If people don’t like him, THEY CAN STOP ELECTING HIM. Disagreeing with the government’s handling of an emergency is not justification for ignoring instructions and orders issued by lawful authority, penalties for noncompliance should be severe as they have the effect of diverting resources away from primary taskings. And there's that asset capacity issue again eh? 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Not surprising given the current medical crisis:

As a critical shortage of life-saving medical equipment looms amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada is calling on its manufacturers to re-tool their factories in a "war-like effort" to help fill demand.

The federal government has issued a national call asking businesses to offer products and services in support of Canada's response to the new novel coronavirus.

Doctors say Canadian hospitals are facing a shortage of supplies including ventilators, masks, gloves and gowns needed to protect healthcare workers as they treat the anticipated surge in COVID-19 patients.

BUT......why would the government even consider this move??? with the rapid spread of the virus and the need to protect our citizens.....this will not be something Trudeau and his cabinet will be bragging about in their daily pep talks!

One particularly troubling fact that Gill pointed out is that Canada very recently gave away 16 tonnes of medical equipment to China.

On Feb. 9, Global Affairs Canada announced that: “To support China’s ongoing response to the outbreak, Canada has deployed approximately 16 tonnes of personal protective equipment, such as clothing, face shields, masks, goggles and gloves to the country since February 4, 2020.”

Canada’s first case was identified on Jan. 25 and by the time we started shipping that equipment to China we already had 5 confirmed cases.

What were the feds thinking at the time? Did they believe that our contribution to China would help stop it from coming here? Did they anticipate China would use the masks, wash them off and then ship them back? Or were they not thinking at all?

Maybe, hopefully, we will learn that one good deed begets another. On Feb. 29, China delivered the first batch of test kits and masks to Iran. On Wednesday, it was announced that China is sending one million masks to France to assist them. 

Let’s hope, as the weeks progress, China returns the favour to us.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/furey-canada-just-gave-16-tonnes-of-medical-supplies-to-china-lets-hope-they-return-the-favour

And these guys wanted the country to give them emergency powers (aka as a dictatorship) til 2021?. The nerve!! Still don’t get they are a minority gov’t.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, st27 said:

The nerve!! Still don’t get they are a minority gov’t.

OK, please explain to a dumb grunt where he has the concept wrong:

I say emergency powers are there for a reason and those powers existed pre-Covid 19. 

I say duly elected governments should have access to those emergency powers in an emergency.

I say an emergency exists when a duly elected government deems there to be an existential threat and requires those powers (BTW that's NOT the same as saying they're right)

I say penalties for noncompliance with emergency orders should be severe.

Now, please keep in mind that I say that within the context of our past, present, and future status as a democracy. Like soldiers and COPs,  governments are accountable for the excessive or heavy handed use of force, or any draconian procedural or enforcement efforts they undertake with those powers. 

Why am I wrong?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

They’re a tool for the wise…

WHICH IS  EXACTLY WHY TRUDEAU SHOLDN’T BE ALLOWED ANY WHERE NEAR THIS LEVEL OF POWER.!!!

Edited by Jaydee

First off , I certainly don’t regard you as I dumb grunt. WH.

My issue with the Liberals was the potential over reach of their powers, as was initial proposed, to have the power to spend and tax for 2 years without parliamentary oversight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/house-commons-covid-emergency-bill-1.5507499

I do agree that governments must act quickly to deal with the health and economy, but as proposed, the legislation was a power grab. The election illustrated that the citizens of Canada didn’t trust the liberals from their previous 4 years of majority government.

Well your guy is an idiot too.  So I guess we all die.

Great thinking by the "intelligent" masses.   Give no one the power so no one takes action.

He is the Duly Elected PM of Canada.  I believe the same argument was made about Trump.  

He is dealing with an unprecedented emergency and you would cut off his hands because you think hes an idiot?  Give your head a shake.

He may make some decisions that are incorrect or he may not.He will answer for that at election time or even before.

Perhaps you should stage a coup because obviously you have all the answers.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

you would cut off his hands because you think hes an idiot? 

Boestar, you are making a lot of assumptions here and of course i want the population to be healthy...I certainly dont want to cut off his hands, I just dont want him to be able to reach deep into my pocket for the next 2 years without oversight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THE PAIN OF LOSING A NATION.  ( Latest death toll..6820 )

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte:

“We have lost it on Earth. We now seek Mercy from the Skies"
475 Deaths on Thursday.
627 Deaths on Friday.
793 Deaths on Saturday.
-1895 deaths in 3days!
-Over 4,800 Deaths!
God remember Italy and every friend reading this🙏

FFFC3427-DD37-45FA-AE98-B159AAAFACBF.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee