1 hour ago, boestar said:

At this point closing the boarders will have no real effect at all because the virus has a foot hold.  This just placates the masses  and makes it look like something is happening.

And yet he leaves Roxham road wideeeeee open for anyone to walk across the border  illegally

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't get Fox News so I never watch it.  I have, of course, seen short clips.  I do get CNN but can't watch it because I find it falls into your "sewer pipe" characterization above.  I think it

Following is why I would never support a bailout from our government to help out professional sports teams Raptors re-sign Fred VanVleet to four-year, $85-million deal Doug Smith By Doug Smit

Posted Images

On 3/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, seeker said:

Looting is a crime, buying up all the handwipes and reselling them at a profit isn't.  It's lowlife behaviour but not criminal.    As someone on another website pointed out; the actual original purpose of Costco was to sell large quantities of product at wholesale price to businesses for them to mark-up and sell at a profit.  The best suggestion I've read is that they get audited by CRA and pay the tax and/or penalty if they don't declare the income.

There is a change.org petition going around to permanently ban these folks from COSTCO, I signed it, and COSTCO said if they get enough signatures they will ban them..

Its all about the impression of the turd [this govt] doing something.... they should have screened people at the arrivals 5 weeks ago!!!!! its not like it was a surprise....China then Iran then Italy ffs.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mo32a said:

There is a change.org petition going around to permanently ban these folks from COSTCO, I signed it, and COSTCO said if they get enough signatures they will ban them..

I disagree with this.  Free and open capitalism is the only way.   Some fool wants to arrange his day to be in position to buy all the hand-sanitizer?  Let him.   The fact is that some of these people make a bit of money but most of them get a little too greedy and eventually play it wrong and lose or get stuck with too much of the wrong stuff and no place to sell it.  The universe fixes the problem.  Retail arbitrage is a valid commercial enterprise that rewards the quick and intelligent and penalizes the slow and greedy - leave it alone.

OFFENCE AND PUNISHMENT

Offence of profiteering

3. (1) Every person commits an offence who takes advantage or attempts to take advantage of the unusual or exceptional circumstances precipitated by an emergency by selling or attempting to sell essential goods, services or resources at a price that is unreasonable or inflationary for the purpose of making excessive profits.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

• (a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable

• (i) in the case of a corporation, to a fine not exceeding $100,000, and

• (ii) in the case of any other person, to a fine not exceeding $25,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or to both; or

• (b) is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable

• (i) in the case of a corporation, to a fine not exceeding $300,000, and

• (ii) in the case of any other person, to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or to both.
  • Thanks 1

I think this situation will provide people experience (across a range of issues) and get them to look at cause and effect in a different fashion now. By way of example, people previously in favour of open borders and the disbandment of border protection services now advocate for closing borders because of the circumstances; a wise choice IMO, but my point is that caution and the anticipation of problems has a place in policy development and precipitous actions can have grave consequences. As Mike says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Canadian laws are (generally) well crafted reasonable and more comprehensive than many realize.... we simply need to enforce them.

Please allow an off topic example (there are many) but the general notion here is that reliance creates vulnerabilities and vulnerabilities create (potential) security risks. The type of security I’m talking about goes beyond physical security and speaks to systemic integrity, robustness and sustainability. Getting essential drugs from a potentially adversarial trading partner serves as an example…. reliance on TFW as a labour source is another.

Had I previously suggested that the reliance onTFWs presented a security threat, there would be calls of racist and xenophobe, but just consider how many of these folks are employed in farm labour across the country and consider that the border is now closed to them. In addition, we are coming into the season when their services are required and this leaves a gaping hole in farm labour availability. Clearly it’s only one small element of the forces at play here but if left unaddressed, the potential effect on food security this year could be problematic.

On the plus side, politicians and the general public are now considering consequences in a way they previously hadn't, another potential plus is that on our current trajectory, if sustained, Paris Accord targets are actually viable and achievable…. for the first time.

Edited by Wolfhunter

The thing I find very interesting is the Johns Hopkins university did a simulation in OCTOBER of exactly this kind of scenario.  Covid-19 unfolded EXACTLY as they predicted.

They even ran simulations on closing boarders and other mitigating factory.  Closing the boarders had little actual effect while the social distancing efforts had the greatest effect in mitigating the rapid spread.

What really kills me is that for the most part the politicians ignored the experts until it was too late.  

IMHO the reporters and the politicians should be shut out during a situation like this.  We should only hear from the actual people that make this kind of thing their life.  They are the ones with nothing to gain.

• Like 1

Ontario Premier Doug Ford declares state of emergency, $300-million relief fund.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has declared a state of emergency in response to the growing COVID-19 outbreak in the province, he announced Tuesday morning.

“This is a decision that was not made lightly.”

Effective immediately, recreation centres, public libraries, private schools, daycares, bars, restaurants, theatres, concert venues and cinemas will close until March 30, at least.

He also ordered bans on public events of over 50 people, including parades, events and services within places of worship.

“We understand this decision will impact workers across this province. My message to these people is we will support you through difficult times.”

He went on to clarify that this is not a provincial shutdown. Public transit and day-to-day life will not be impacted and essential businesses like grocery stores and pharmacies will continue to operate.

“We need to do everything to stop the spread of COVID-19 to avoid the overwhelming of our healthcare system,” he said. As of Monday, there were 177 cases of the novel coronavirus in Ontario — the most of any province.

The premier also announced a $300-million “first stage” relief package, aimed at ramping up containment efforts.

The fund will go to providing 75 more critical care beds, 500 more acute care beds, 75 more COVID-19 response centres, purchasing more personal protective equipment and adding 1,000 more nurses and 50 more doctors to cover emergency response.

When a state of emergency is declared, the province has the power to limit personal travel, close down public or private buildings and fix prices for goods to prevent unreasonable inflation.

In Ontario, a state of emergency can only last up to 14 days. If the province’s Lieutenant Governor wants to extend it, he may do so for an additional 14 days before the initial state of emergency has ended.

On Monday Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced sweeping travel restrictions for Canada, mandating that most non-citizens would not be allowed in the country.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/canada/ontario-premier-doug-ford-announces-state-of-emergency/wcm/4ca85aa3-3635-49d2-8370-f4daf3c09e24?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1584450665

32 minutes ago, Airband said:

Thats not what I was saying though.  The exercise did predict the spread pattern of a global pandemic like Covid-19.  I watched an interview with the head of the event.  Their predictions of the pattern were almost spot on.  It is the spread patterns that they were looking at not death tolls.  It was just to see how something of this nature would behave.

while theoretical in nature it still mirrored what we are seeing today.

The actual models are quite fascinating when you look at the mitigating actions put into play.  There was nothing that could have been done to prevent exactly what we are seeing today.  All we could ever do was slow it down to a point we can manage it.

• Like 1

Elect a Clown, Expect a Circus...

“Trudeau shuts our borders to Late “

For Canada, the current global meltdown started with an airplane that touched down at the end of January with a flight from China.

It continued with airplane after airplane from all sorts of hot spots until the prime minister announced far too late that Canada’s borders were closing.

“We will be denying entry to Canada to people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents,” Trudeau said Monday, standing outside of the house he is self-isolating in after his wife tested positive for coronavirus.

Some of us have been calling for restrictions on flights from hot spots since the end of January. I first wrote a column published Jan. 27 saying holes in the system let the first case through.

Those holes remain and will remain until the border is effectively shut to everyone but Americans and some rare exceptions at 12:01 a.m. on March 18.

In many ways. this border closure may be too little too late from Trudeau.

Over the weekend, a video clip of Dr. Michael Ryan from the World Health Organization went viral as he urged political leaders to move quickly when dealing with viruses like this — all based on his experience dealing with Ebola outbreaks.

Be fast, have no regrets. You must be the first mover, the virus will always get you if you don’t move quickly,” Ryan said.

“If you need to be right before you move, you will never win. Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to emergency management. Speed trumps perfection.”

Trudeau didn’t act fast in closing the border, he didn’t act fast in putting in any real screening or even information measures at international airports where people were bringing the virus in from China, Iran, Egypt, Italy, the United States and more.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-shuts-our-borders-too-late

Canada, U.S. working on mutual deal to restrict non-essential travel

Social Sharing

Canada and the United States are finalizing a deal to close their shared border to non-essential travel — an extraordinary measure designed to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the talks say the details are still being worked out, and could be announced as early as Wednesday.

Once finalized, the mutual agreement would close the border to tourists and shoppers while still allowing Canadians to return home. The final deal is expected to allow some commercial traffic to continue to keep critical supply chains intact.

CNN first reported the development Tuesday night. Sources have confirmed the accuracy of the report. One source says Ottawa and Washington are working together on the plan, and that it will be reciprocal.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had previously resisted closing the border to Canada's closest ally and most important trading partner — but he did not rule it out.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-us-border-1.5501201

48 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

I love the way she got her sound bite and then ignored what else he had to say and cut to another story..

US-Canada border to close amid virus crisis

Breaking News image

US President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have agreed to close the US-Canada border to all non-essential travel in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus.

"We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada," Mr Trump tweeted.

He said trade would not be affected.

Both countries had already issued sweeping travel bans but had maintained exemptions for each other.

Canada relies on the US for approximately 75% of its exports.

The shutdown will affect tourists and shoppers, but goods will continue to be moved across the border.

Mr Trudeau had previously resisted closing the border to his country's most important trading partner.

"Nearly 200,000 people cross that border every day, and that border and that traffic that goes across that border is literally a lifeline for both the Canadians and the Americans on both sides of that border," Mr Trudeau's Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said on Tuesday.

"We get our groceries thanks to truckers who drive back and forth across that border. Very urgently needed medical supplies and medicines go back and forth across that border. And essential workers go back and forth across that border every day."

Approximately $2bn in goods and services crosses the US-Canada border each day.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 1:04 PM, Wolfhunter said:

Imagine this sweeping through the homeless population on the streets of San Fransisco. Then imagine if the California effect sweeps the nation.

Some 60,000 California homeless could get coronavirus in coming weeks: governor

Thu Mar 19, 2020  - Reuters

Modelling has shown that more than 60,000 homeless people could become ill with the coronavirus in California over the next eight weeks, badly straining the health care system, the state governor said on Wednesday.

Hospitalization rates for those infected with the flu-like disease was about 20%, creating a requirement for additional hospital beds that could quickly overwhelm hospitals if the modelled predictions come true, Governor Gavin Newsom said. “Over the next eight-week period, we have modelled that of the 108,000 unsheltered Californians that are out on the streets, if you had an attack rate of about 56%, you’re looking at 60-plus thousand individuals that may have COVID-19,” Newsom, a Democrat, said in a Facebook address to the state. “That creates a deep point of anxiety for the existing population but moreover for our health care delivery system, our capacity to move people in and out of the shelters safely without contacting other people and putting them at risk as well.”

California, the nation’s most populous state, has also been among the hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with 598 confirmed cases as of Wednesday, a 21% increase over the day before. At least 17 fatalities have been reported in California.

The governor said he had issued an executive order authorizing the distribution of an $100 million to cities and counties across California to blunt the impact of the respiratory illness on the homeless, and had acquired 1,300 trailers to use as temporary housing.

Another executive order directed that $50 million be used to convert motels and hotels into shelters where homeless people could be isolated if they caught the virus.

Newsom said he had spoken to the Trump administration about anchoring a U.S. Navy medical ship, the Mercy, off the Californian coast to house additional patients and to set up field hospitals in the state.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said the state’s largest city was making a new push to identify homeless people considered most vulnerable to the virus, including the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions.

The Democratic mayor said that up to 6,000 of those potential coronavirus victims would be given beds in city recreational centres.

Patients suspected of carrying the virus would be isolated in emergency trailers, a move paid for by tapping into state funds made available by the governor.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/justin-trudeau-canadas-national-disaster/

Justin Trudeau: Canada’s National Disaster

Very few countries have been spared the COVID-19 catastrophe. Thanks to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s late and inadequate response to the threat, Canada’s number of infected grows daily. Much like Obama’s delayed response to the H1N1 pandemic of 2009, no decisive action was taken to combat the coronavirus until this week, two and a half months after it was blatantly obvious we had a highly contagious new virus loose in the world. As of this writing, our borders have finally been closed to non-Canadian citizens—but with exceptions: permanent residents, diplomats, air crews, and U.S. citizens. “Family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents will also be allowed to come home,” said Trudeau.

One can readily see where the loophole is that vitiates Trudeau’s pronouncements. The Vancouver Sun reports that over 40 percent of Metro Vancouver residents are of Asian heritage, of whom approximately half are of Chinese origin. They are free until further restrictions to travel from China to Canada. There are cheap, direct flights from Beijing and Hong Kong to Vancouver, Canada’s western portal to the orient. Clearly, Vancouver, where my wife and I have recently moved, is waiting to explode with the disease, as did Milan, which hosts the largest Chinese community in Italy—the administrative region of northern Lombardy was the source of the Italian infection.

As Time reports on the Italian situation, “The first case of local transmission was a 38-year-old man who is believed to have become infected after meeting regularly with someone who had recently been to China…His wife subsequently tested positive as did someone who came into contact with the man while engaging in recreational activities.” Patients include “a Chinese couple from Wuhan and an Italian citizen who was recently repatriated from Wuhan.” None of this is surprising.

Vancouver may well be a city on the way to becoming Milan, and the province of British Columbia a Lombardy in the wings. Just today, as I write, 83 new cases have been reported. Trudeau, a virtue-signaler from the egg, will not move a finger if it offends the Canadian left and exposes him to the false charge of racism. Travel from China should be immediately prohibited for all our sakes—and indeed, should have been banned months ago, as did Trump as far back as January. There is no question of sinophobia here, despite the profusion of Chinese bots protesting the term “China virus” and the political correctness of the collaborating left, but merely of an initiative to save Canadian lives, regardless of race or creed or gender. Nonetheless, Chinese, as well as non-Chinese citizens and residents traveling from China, are currently exempt from the ban.

But there is more to the issue than the Chinese connection. Illegal migrants continue to pour across the Quebec border at the infamous Roxham Road crossing. As the CBC informs us, we are witnessing “families and single travelers from Pakistan, Turkey, Yemen, Lebanon, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Eritrea, as well as a Palestinian family…Some arrived with what appeared to be fresh baggage tags from overseas flights into New York. Others had made their way north from Mexico, South and Central America.” We can only guess at the nature and extent of the infectious diseases that are crossing the border with them, including the coronavirus. Trudeau’s all-are-welcome syndrome only serves to disguise his lack of political sobriety, insight, and mental acumen.

Obviously, from the standpoint of our progressivist prime minister, it would be an act of outright bigotry and discrimination to shut the crossing to the needy and deprived streaming illegally into the country—after all, as he likes to parrot that ludicrous bromide, “diversity is Canada’s strength.” Whatever Canadian citizens may suffer from the congestion—sickness, overcrowded hospitals, vandalism, a strain on the economy—is of little consequence. Like a sanctuary state, we are the world’s asylum. Apparently, we owe our compassionate prime minister a vote of gratitude for his farsighted tenderheartedness.

In any event, the good news is that the pandemic will eventually peak, decline and disappear. The bad news is that Justin Trudeau will still be with us.

• Like 1

Articles like that are the problem in the world.  

Nothing like this has ever happened on this scale in history.  The disease was unknown before November 2019.  The response to the outbreak was just a series of unknowns that rapidly changed. Experts changed their protocols almost hourly.  What was not prudent a few hours before was deemed prudent later.

Blaming Trudeau does no one any good.  Had he shut the border earlier, the outcome would have been no different.

The ones to blame are all the ones that ignored the warnings and traveled anyway.  the vast majority of the infections in Canada are attributed to travel and no community outbreak. If you want a prudent response then we should have left all travelers wherever they were to fend for themselves but since we are Civilized Canadians we chose the better path to take care of our own and get them home even though there was a risk involved.

Only the selfish turn their backs on fellow Citizens.

3 hours ago, boestar said:

Articles like that are the problem in the world.  

Nothing like this has ever happened on this scale in history.  The disease was unknown before November 2019.  The response to the outbreak was just a series of unknowns that rapidly changed. Experts changed their protocols almost hourly.  What was not prudent a few hours before was deemed prudent later.

Blaming Trudeau does no one any good.  Had he shut the border earlier, the outcome would have been no different.

The ones to blame are all the ones that ignored the warnings and traveled anyway.  the vast majority of the infections in Canada are attributed to travel and no community outbreak. If you want a prudent response then we should have left all travelers wherever they were to fend for themselves but since we are Civilized Canadians we chose the better path to take care of our own and get them home even though there was a risk involved.

Only the selfish turn their backs on fellow Citizens.

Mostly agree, except for the Roxham Road issue.  That border crossing should have been closed years ago and most definitely should have been one of the first closed when the severity was discovered and yet it's still open