Coronavirus_2020.01.28

Jaydee

On 8/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, Jaydee said:

Jill Biden test positive for Covid. Fully vaccinated with TWO booster shots

From the article:

The first lady is fully vaccinated and has received two booster shots. She has mild symptoms, the White House said, and will start taking Paxlovid, an antiviral drug that has proven effective at preventing serious cases of COVID-19.

Really?  When was this proven and is it now the standard protocol treatment for all who test positive with mild symptoms?

I've pretty much stopped paying attention but think this is the first time I've heard of Paxlovid.

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

This is from a year ago.  Hasn't aged well.

That's for sure.

All part of our national history now, a source of wonder for future generations and shame for the present one.

I collected a bunch of similar quotes, mostly from the comments section of various media outlets but deleted the file shortly after the Emergencies Act was declared. It wasn't simply because of the gleefully hateful nature of them, that's what makes them instructive I guess, it was more that seeing them invoked a powerful sense of loss.

For me, I could best describe the effect as akin to a neighbour casually poisoning a beloved pet and having it die in my arms on the way to the vet. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/mandel-court-wont-force-girl-to-vaccinate-against-her-will

At first I saw this as a tiny ray of sunshine, on reflection though, it simply shows a single example (one of many), that illustrates the damage done to families, churches, friendships and communities across the country.

Quote of the day from the judge in the case:

And unlike many other recent Ontario rulings, Superior Court Justice J. Christopher Corkery refused to take “judicial notice” — accepting as an obvious and indisputable fact — that vaccines are safe and effective.

“Government experts sound so sure of themselves in recommending the current vaccines. But they were equally sure when they told us to line up for AstraZeneca. Now they don’t even mention that word,” noted Superior Court Justice J. Christopher Corkery.

“I am not prepared to take judicial notice of any government information with respect to COVID-19 or the COVID-19 vaccines.”

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

https://www.rebelnews.com/scientist_says_it_s_really_a_vaccine_using_gene_therapy_technology

My takeaway from this isn't his opinion... I no longer care about opinion, I think it stands as irrelevant now. Lipid nanoparticles, BBB penetration... we'll find out soon enough and all this cowardly chipmunk (thats me BTW) can say is "you go first with my blessing and best wishes."

My only point here is that some Phd level scientists are finally asking grade 13 biology questions. I can't speak for others but gobsmacking doesn't even begin to cover it for me. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

https://globalnews.ca/news/9073144/covid-booster-health-canada-kids/

Two things of interest to me here... actually three if you include the celebratory tone of the article itself which I personally find disconcerting.

One is the radical difference between people's threat assessments in the context of 0-19 mortality vs vaccine efficacy/safety. I see a flashing MASTER WARNING light and think "proceed with caution" while they're calling for a full cavalry charge. Wildly different thought processes with no middle ground... that alone makes me even more cautious. Dumb grunt logic suggests there are only two sides here and one is wrong.

The other is the coming push for mandatory vaccination (in that age group) as a condition of school attendance. Liberals will not be content with having the option to make their own decisions and do what's right for them. They will not be content with my support of their right to do that or of my willingness to financially support their decision as a tax payer.  It's simply not in their DNA.

They're going to demand that their personal decision (and their personal threat assessment) be mandatory across the board and that it be imposed on everyone else. They won't even be content with that, they'll assert that any other assessment or conclusion other than theirs qualifies as child abuse. 

The inability to stop and do nothing after they get what they want will inevitably lead to a backlash that's equal and opposite in terms of the magnitude of madness. Messing with peoples kids is a sure fire way to create a backlash... all ya have to do is nothing. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1

Western requires COVID-19 booster and masking in instructional spaces this fall

Western University is implementing vaccine and masking requirements this September to safeguard the health of its community and provide the best in-person learning experience for the coming school year. 

Measures include requiring students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and to have received one booster, and to be masked in classrooms and seminar rooms.  

“We will soon be welcoming students to campus from across the country and around the world,” said Florentine Strzelczyk, provost and vice-president (academic). “While we can’t predict when the next wave of COVID-19 might come, we believe these measures will help us protect the in-person experience that Western is known for. We want to do everything we can to offer our students a great on-campus experience throughout the academic year.” 

Updated vaccination policy: Booster shot required 

After extensive consultation with its science experts and its community, Western has updated its COVID-19 vaccination policy effective Aug. 22, 2022. At a minimum, all students, faculty, staff and some visitors to campus are required to have been vaccinated and have one booster shot (generally, three doses in total) of any combination of COVID-19 vaccines recognized by Health Canada. 

The updated policy requires all students, faculty, and staff to submit current proof of vaccination to the university by Oct. 1, 2022. 

https://news.westernu.ca/2022/08/western-requires-covid-19-booster-masking-instructional-spaces-this-fall/

• Confused 1

Unreasonable for Toronto to dismiss firefighters over vaccine status, arbitrator says

In victory for 13 firefighters who lost their jobs over vaccine status, a labour arbitrator ruled that Toronto’s enforcement of its vaccination policy was not reasonable, setting a potential precedent for other fired workers

Sat., Aug. 27, 2022 - Toronto Star
By Christine Dobby - Business Reporter

In a decision that could set a precedent for other disputes over workplace vaccine mandates, a labour arbitrator has handed a victory to more than a dozen firefighters who were fired by the city of Toronto early this year after failing to get the COVID-19 vaccine or disclose their vaccination status.

The arbitrator ruled that Toronto’s mandatory vaccination policy for firefighters was and still is reasonable and said it is supported by expert evidence that demonstrated the safety and efficacy of vaccines the city required its employees to accept.

However, in a decision on Friday, arbitrator Derek Rogers concluded that the way the city enforced that policy was not reasonable as it essentially meant dismissal for cause was the only and inevitable outcome of refusing the vaccine.

Rogers said the city could have taken other steps short of disciplining and firing the workers and still achieved the goals of protecting other employees and the public.

Howard Goldblatt is a lawyer who represented the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association (TPFFA), the union for the dismissed firefighters, in the arbitration. He said this is the first ruling he’s aware of to deal with the issue of workers who were not just sent home or put on leave without pay but dismissed for their decision not to get vaccinated or not to disclose their vaccination status.

“I think it is a significant step. It’s certainly precedent setting,” Goldblatt said in an interview with the Star on Saturday. He said the arbitrator’s conclusion that dismissal as the only outcome was unreasonable could have “very broad implications” for other cases across the province and even nationally.

The city announced its mandatory vaccine policy last summer, conducted education sessions and extended various deadlines for workers to get two vaccine doses. By early January, it fired 461 employees across multiple divisions for not complying with the policy; the arbitration decision said 13 members of the TPFFA were dismissed with cause on Jan. 3.

“we now have a number of firefighters who are, at a minimum, reinstated.”

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Jaydee said:

Western requires COVID-19 booster and masking in instructional spaces this fall

Western University is implementing vaccine and masking requirements this September to safeguard the health of its community and provide the best in-person learning experience for the coming school year. 

Measures include requiring students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and to have received one booster, and to be masked in classrooms and seminar rooms.  

“We will soon be welcoming students to campus from across the country and around the world,” said Florentine Strzelczyk, provost and vice-president (academic). “While we can’t predict when the next wave of COVID-19 might come, we believe these measures will help us protect the in-person experience that Western is known for. We want to do everything we can to offer our students a great on-campus experience throughout the academic year.” 

Updated vaccination policy: Booster shot required 

After extensive consultation with its science experts and its community, Western has updated its COVID-19 vaccination policy effective Aug. 22, 2022. At a minimum, all students, faculty, staff and some visitors to campus are required to have been vaccinated and have one booster shot (generally, three doses in total) of any combination of COVID-19 vaccines recognized by Health Canada. 

The updated policy requires all students, faculty, and staff to submit current proof of vaccination to the university by Oct. 1, 2022. 

https://news.westernu.ca/2022/08/western-requires-covid-19-booster-masking-instructional-spaces-this-fall/

Only the beginning': Hundreds protest Western University vaccine mandate

LONDON, Ont. - A protest against Western University's COVID-19 vaccine mandate drew hundreds of people to the southwestern Ontario campus on Saturday for what an event organizer called the beginning of the push to overturn the controversial policy.

Demonstrators marched around campus and listened to speakers denounce the London, Ont., university's decision to mandate at least three vaccine doses for staff, students and some visitors.

Organizer Kendra Hancock said she hoped the demonstration would lead to public negotiations and further student consultation over the university's rules, which also include mandatory masking in classrooms.

https://www.cp24.com/news/only-the-beginning-hundreds-protest-western-university-vaccine-mandate-1.6045114?cache=yesclipId104062%3FclipId%3D64268

• Thanks 1

Feds explore next-gen Covid Alert app with increased data collection

In a Health Canada audit of the Trudeau government’s failed Covid Alert application, federal officials mulled how to “ensure the successful development” of a next-gen contact tracing application for the future. 

The audit titled Evaluation of the National COVID-19 Exposure Notification App was completed by the Office of Audit and Evaluation at Health Canada (PHAC) and the Public Health Agency of Canada.

“The evaluation reviewed a number of lines of evidence, including document and public opinion research (POR) reviews, and interviews with internal and external key informants,” wrote government auditors. 

“As a result, a few lessons learned emerged and should be considered to ensure the successful development and launch of a similar app by the Government of Canada in the future.”

Ottawa retired the $20 million contact tracing program on Jun. 17, 2022 after Canadians refused to use the application. Despite receiving 6.89 million downloads, Canadians only activated 57,704 user keys – representing only 0.001% of the population. 

As a result of Covid Alert, only 2,446 confirmed cases of the virus were identified. 

Despite the abhorrent usage statistics, the federal government wants to ramp up data collection for public health purposes while maintaining that privacy rights will be respected.( 😂😂😂😂 )

“While keeping privacy at the core of app design, explore options to increase the ability to collect data, including personal information, to aid public health measures,” auditors explained. 

“Any discussion about the collection of personal information would benefit from early engagement of internal privacy experts and (the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.)” 

The audit notes that privacy was the primary concern for Canadians who refused to use the application. 

“Trust in government is also clearly an issue. When asked if they believe the government does not collect their personal information and that it does not allow the (Government of Canada) to determine their location, more than one-half (52%) of survey respondents did not believe the government,” the audit read. 

Earlier this year PHAC, was forced to suspend a mass data collection program after it was revealed that the agency was spying on 33 millionmobile devices of Canadians without their knowledge. 

267920DD-6F0E-4F95-AC8C-CB101D50D00D.png

• Thanks 1

Another Viewpoint.

“ Don't turn Canada into a censorship “

Free speech is the holy grail of all rights, because through speech we defend all other rights and all other Canadians

“I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend your right to say it.” (A paraphrase of Evelyn Beatrice Hall from The Friends of Voltaire.)

Not anymore.

Our COVID response ushered a new era — no more sensible disagreement. Well-meaning politicians, scientists, doctors and professionals were not allowed to express an opinion different from that of public health officials or government talking points, under the guise of “safety.”

Those who dared to question the mainstream narrative over the past few years were removed from their political parties, myself included, lost their jobs, were investigated or were reprimanded by their regulators. Canadians who simply wanted to have a civil conversation about a new virus and the unprecedented response were demonized by the media and on social media.

The silencing of dissent under threat of cancellation or loss of livelihood is not limited to COVID. Complex scientific issues such as the environment are off the debate table. Conformity to climate science is the only option — as if the science is certain or static, which it cannot be, by definition.

The silencing of dissent ... is not limited to COVID

Science cannot evolve and free societies cannot function when debate is forbidden, or when freedom of expression is abridged. When it is, results tend to be catastrophic.

For the past few years, the only thing I sought was to have a civil and sensible conversation. A discussion about the objective harm of lockdowns, the medical ethics of mandates, the efficacy of plexiglass against an airborne virus or the prohibition against buying crayons at the dollar store, because of “science.”

Even Rosemary Barton of the CBC acknowledged during a May 2022 televised interview with me that she “doesn’t think anyone is denying the side effects of lockdown.” Such an utterance would have been unthinkable in 2020 or early 2021. When I was removed from the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party caucus in the dark days of January 2021 for calling on the Ford government to end the lockdown, Canadians were afraid to articulate any opposition, for it would be equated with wanting to kill grandma.

The historical record is being corrected. More observers and stakeholders recognize that lockdowns were damaging to our physical health, our mental health, our children and our economy. The Centers for Disease Control in the U.S. has revised its treatment guidelines and eliminated any distinction between those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 and those who have made a different medical choice to not be vaccinated.

However, the COVID dogma created by mandates resulted in division and irreparable harm. Our country stigmatized and demonized a sizable portion of the population and caused long-term trauma, especially to young people, the effect of which cannot be underestimated.

Free speech is the holy grail of all rights, because through speech we defend all other rights and all other Canadians. But free speech is necessary not just for democracy, it is a must for good public policy. Disagreement in Parliament, on TV, in the boardroom or in the classroom is a good thing. A greater number of perspectives affords decision makers with better and nuanced choices.

Most importantly, we must not allow Canada to turn into a censorship state, where speech is prohibited by legislation, fear of reprisal or threat of exclusion. Government does not know best. People do. That is democracy and it cannot function without free speech.

Special to National Post

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/roman-baber-dont-turn-canada-into-a-censorship-state

• Thanks 1

Trudeau now outright threatens Canadians. 🤬 Do what I say or else!

“ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says “Covid’s not done with us yet,” urging Canadians to get boosted every six months to avoid restrictions, lockdowns and mandates in the winter. He said 80 to 90% of Canadians need to be “up to date” with their vaccinations for this to happen.”

• Sad 1

Meanwhile in Denmark

Denmark Government Advises People Under 50 Not to Get COVID-19 Boosters

By Jack Phillips

September 14, 2022 Updated: September 14, 2022

Denmark will not offer those under the age of 50 more COVID-19 vaccine boosters, the Danish Health Authority announced this week.

“The purpose of vaccination is not to prevent infection with COVID-19, and people aged under 50 are therefore currently not being offered booster vaccination,” the agency wrote in a Sept. 13 statement.

The Scandinavian country also explicitly dropped any pretense to halt the spread of COVID-19 and announced it will focus on protecting vulnerable individuals, including people with compromised immune systems and the elderly. Those people, it said, are the most at risk of developing severe COVID-19 cases.

Instead, the agency has an “aim to prevent serious illness, hospitalization, and death,” the statement said.

The Health Authority noted that people under the age of 50 “are generally not at particularly higher risk of becoming severely ill” from the virus.

Younger people “are well protected against becoming severely ill” and a “very large number of them have already been vaccinated and have previously been infected” with COVID-19, it said.

“There is consequently good immunity among this part of the population,” the agency said. “It is important that the population also remembers the guidance on how to prevent the spread of infection, including staying at home in case of illness, frequent aeration or ventilation, social distancing, good coughing etiquette, hand hygiene, and cleaning.”

Denmark was one of the first countries in the world to stop giving COVID-19 vaccines to healthy children. The UK has recently followed suit and ended giving COVID-19 vaccines to most children aged 11 and under.

Children and young people who are at risk of developing COVID-19 cases can still receive the vaccine in Denmark if recommended by a doctor, the health agency said last month.

“The Danish Health Authority does not currently plan on recommending vaccination to persons under the age of 18 as a group,” Lotte Baelum, a spokesperson for the Health Authority, told The Associated Press. “Children and young people who are at increased risk of a serious course of COVID-19 will continue to have the option of vaccination after individual assessment.”

The UK Health Security Agency said in September that children who hadn’t turned 5 by the end of August wouldn’t be offered COVID-19 vaccines, noting that the COVID-19 vaccine offer for kids aged 5 to 11 was a temporary directive.

In the United States, about two months after federal health officials authorized COVID-19 vaccine doses for young children and infants, only a very small percentage of children have received the first dose, according to data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.