Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Conservative Leadership race

Well it’s basically boiled down to BLUE Erin Otoole.....or....RED Peter McKay

I know where my X will be going.

EB0755A9-6023-41F9-8EBB-8C1A09EAA1A1.jpeg

I kind of like 

MacKay's campaign was largely based on his leadership skills and a national organization rather than on policies or new directions. MacKay is largely viewed by political analysts as a Red Tory. He voted in favour of same-sex marriage in 2006.
Parents: Eirene Macha MacKay, Elmer MacKay
Founded: Conservative Party of Canada
Born: September 27, 1965, New Glasgow, Nova ...

There will be scrutiny along the way...

The reverse would be scandalous

“From someone who has been the leader of the Progressive Conservative Party, who has been a minister, who has been a member of Parliament for 20 years and who had access to all the resources the House of Commons offers to access good knowledge of the second official language, we would have been entitled to expect better, “said Stéphanie Chouinard, assistant professor of political science at the Royal Military College of Canada, yesterday.

“Someone who would not have had the opportunity to learn French, I can understand. But him [M. MacKay] was 17 years old in Ottawa to learn French and he didn’t. So this is a big problem, “added Gilles Duceppe, ex-leader of the Bloc Québécois who sat opposite him in Parliament last night.

“His French is quite painful to hear,” he says. It’s very rough, to say the least. ”

“We are a bilingual country. A national party leader must be able to speak both official languages, “said Maxime Bernier, who had lost the Conservative leadership behind Andrew Scheer, last night.

“I hope that Mr. MacKay was just rusty, and that by the end of the race, he will regain his reflexes in French,” he continues. For the moment, it does not prove that it is perfectly bilingual. I find it hard to understand why certain members of Quebec support him since they all said that the next leader should be bilingual. ”

'Two teleprompters in front of him to speak in French'

IMO, Peter MacKay is a reasonable, pragmatic guy. If you listen to what he has to say you are usually left thinking yup.... that sounds reasonable and might work.

I no longer experience that reaction with anything I hear from Liberals and Democrats. As one who used to support them, I find it unfortunate and discomforting, they have too many agendas and seem incapable of rational cause/effect thinking. Worse still is the fact their supporters now sound like religious zealots and it makes me fear for the future. The difference being that zealots are usually willing to pay the price their beliefs demand of them.

California is instructive in many ways, liberal values are on full display. It serves as an opportunity for them to put their beliefs into practice and I, for one, want to see them make the AOC/Sanders ideas work in the real world..... show me!  In the absence of that, it serves as a social template to be avoided.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While MacKay is a reasonable candidate, he won't be enough for the contingent that seems to be in charge of the party at this time in history. 

Therein lies the problem.

While he may be electable to the rest of the country, those who the party will vote for won't be as digestible by the rest of the country.

Time will tell.  Stay tune for   27 June 2020 with those with votes will tell us who they like.  As for me, I plan to stay out of any leadership discussion as what I believe will have absolutely no impact on who the new leader will be.  Cheers

4 hours ago, deicer said:

While he may be electable to the rest of the country, those who the party will vote for won't be as digestible by the rest of the country.

I very much doubt that. 

This is now his to lose, it looks like a coronation to me.

Different strokes -

"Pride parades are important," MacKay said in a statement.

"We live in a world where sexual orientation and gender identity are still used by tyrants and bigots to belittle and oppress. In Canada we are lucky to have a society that has grown more tolerant, more accepting and more understanding, but there is still more work to be done."

"In uniform, I stood up for the rights of all Canadians, and in Parliament, I have always voted for liberty and equality," O'Toole said in a statement, citing his time as a navigator in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

"When Toronto Pride becomes a truly inclusive event, I will march in that with my uniformed friends."

O'Toole is working hard to contrast himself to MacKay.  To me it only highlights that the conservatives are still deeply divided and will have a hard time picking a leader who will be acceptable to not just the rest of Canada, but to the radical elements within the party.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taking-shots-at-peter-mackay-erin-otoole-enters-conservative-leadership-race

CALGARY — Erin O’Toole, a former Canadian Armed Forces airman, entered the Conservative leadership race on Monday taking a shot at one of his main rivals.

O’Toole positioned himself as a true Conservative compared to Peter MacKay, who he said will turn the Tories into a “Liberal-party lite.”

“That’s not how we will win,” O’Toole said in an interview.

O’Toole announced he was entering the race on Monday by video, joining up as a presumptive front-runner alongside MacKay, a former Nova Scotia MP. While describing MacKay as a friend, O’Toole attacked the former cabinet minister’s politics, saying he’d make the Conservative Party of Canada more centrist as a member of the “left side” of the Tory movement.

In a party that’s been fractured over its identity — there has already been controversy over the role of social conservatism  — O’Toole is billing himself as a “true blue” conservative.

MacKay falling like a lead brick.

Bergen just dropped out   https://lfpress.com/news/politics/conservative-leadership-race-loses-another-high-profile-potential-candidate-as-candice-bergen-says-shes-out/wcm/b1dbb8d9-8ae9-40a7-a1f4-2c25d1380c99

Erin O'Toole takes the lead at 25%.
Rempel 20%
Bergen 19%
Mackay 15%

http://www.poletical.com/cpc-leadership-tracker-2020.php

38D260AA-D278-4648-AE82-0C6FBA548ADA.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee

Pick another fight fellas, that ship's sailed.....

don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

In a statement, Mr. MacKay said he would “roll back the Trudeau carbon tax.” In a separate statement, Mr. O’Toole said he would “scrap the federal carbon tax and focus on how Canada can become a global leader in zero-carbon technology like nuclear.”

Top Tory contenders will fight carbon tax if they win leadership race