Old Man Yelling At Clouds

Kip Powick

Recently did a round trip on WestJet down to Florida and back….

YYZ – Florida  -YYZ

I was going to do a normal review but thought better of it but would like to relate to you why the title of this thread is what you see.

Coming back from Florida I was given an “A” seat and the lady in the “C” seat was an amiable person but then in bounced a young lady, I would guess her age at about 23-27 and she took the “B” seat…..and she just loved her iPad and iPhone.

As we started to taxi out the FAs asked everyone to remove any headsets as they wished to commence the Safety Briefing, and at that time “B” seat decided to do a FaceTime call with her father. So there she was giggling and guffawing with her Dad as the FAs did their job. My patience waned and after about 15 seconds I took the iPad, looked at Dad and stated that the Cabin Crew were doing a passenger safety briefing and Jennifer should be listening and if there was time, she could call him back…..FaceTime closed.

Yes, the young lady was PO’d and just stared at me until the briefing ended. I then grabbed one of the emergency cards and asked her……Where are the emergency exits? (((We were 2 rows away))) Puzzled and confused looks, How many emergency exits are there?….. eyes darting around and no answer….where are the life jackets ? This time  she actually answered and pointed at the overheads and said “I think, in there ? ”.

By this time she had calmed down and I took the “fatherly approach “ and pointed out all the features on the card and tried to impress her that the information, both from the crew and on the card could possibly save her life in the event we actually had an emergency… She mellowed and was actually civil by the time we had the Cat III approach into YYZ.

There you go …..Old Man Yelling At Clouds.

Kip, your heart was in the right place and there is plenty of reason for that young lady to pay attention - least of which is simple decency not to talk over the flight attendants.

That said, we are in the age of entitlement.  You are lucky she did not have you punted off the aircraft for touching her iPad.  I can think of a few very special personal celebrities whose dim light would have created an equally dim view of the whole situation.

Glad it all worked out.

Vs

Not sure if that story is completely true and correct or if it has been embellished for humourous effect....grabbing someone's iPad, closing their call, admonishing them and grilling them on emergency equipment is over the line for acceptable behaviour.  Fatherly approach or not, good intention or not, you're lucky you didn't get blowback. 

I certainly agree with a good dose of passive-aggressive scowling and head-shaking being directed at rude or oblivious passengers and have told people directly when their actions are problematic but grabbing their stuff or physically intervening is too much in any case other than an aggressive assault in progress.

Of course maybe I'm misunderstanding your post and you posted what you wanted to do rather than what you did do.

Seeker, no humour or "wish I hadda"  in my initial post.

It was a very long day, WS changed the departure time 3 times, for the "partial red-eye", the gate agents were terrible, sometimes they would use the gate PA and other times they just yelled and all the while they were laughing like fools. Some  parents let their kids  just run wild screaming and tripping over "guests" feet  waiting for the flight .I just can't understand the arrogance and   ignorance of some of the travelling public and this kid's behavior was the issue that pushed me over the edge.

I have done a lot of passenger flying but  without fail, I always know where the emergency exits are, and how many people I have to crawl over to get to one of them, I ALWAYS read the card because sometimes procedures change from aircraft model to model and what's more important, at least have the bloody courtesy to listen to the crew BECAUSE they will undoubtedly be the last off the plane and they would certainly appreciate it if you, as a "guest", know what the hell you are supposed to do.

Humour on this flight ??? Well as I exited the Terminal Customs Area in YYZ the Customs agent asked what was in the 6 foot  long box I was carrying...I told him "water-skis" (true) and he  said,  quizzically, "Water-skis now??"

I replied, "Well I'm not very good with those narrow snow skis so thought I would try out wider skis. "  He did smile and said "Carry-on".

2 hours ago, seeker said:

Fatherly approach or not, good intention or not, you're lucky you didn't get blowback. 

I'm glad to hear of a case where an ignoramous who doesn't mind who she disturbs by Facetiming on public transportation got blowback. Too bad it doesn't happen more often. 

Kip, I know exactly how you feel and share all of thoughts on the lack of courtesy shown by the masses.  My pet peeve is people who carry on long conversations, with their seatmate or on the phone, on an aircraft (or bus).  I feel like saying; "you're not at home on your couch so shut it!"  Nobody should be subjected to the constant chatter from some yapping idiot who's sitting 2 feet away from you in a public space.  Anyway, while I understand, and secretly applaud, what you did I think most people would feel that grabbing someone's device and turning it off is a step too far.

this is the real reason you are not allowed to use your cell phone.  It is not due to interference with "Aircraft Frequencies" it is all to do with Pissing off your seat mates and the people around you.

Except your being presumptuous that this lady wasn't an FA or flight crew member. If you'd done this to me you'd be lucky not to have my pen in your thigh even if you think it's inappropriate. Your inappropriate action isn't any better. Like I tell my toddler "Please use you words"..... Just remember its highly likely that the generation ahead of you at some point thought you were an idiot too!!!

Two words "Ok Boomer" ;)

Shouldn't the cabin crew have made sure the iPad was off and stowed. They walk around the cabin checking that tray tables are stowed, seat backs are up, and you are belted in. At that point, you'd think they would tell that woman to stow the electronics as well. 

Sorry Kip, that would have annoyed me too but you indeed could have been accused of assault and perhaps even kicked off the aircraft.  There is a time to speak and a time to be silent and this may be mine.  See the source image

Image result for Old Grouch Cartoon

My last post concerning this thread.....pile on if you like.

What it was , is what it was. I make no apologies for my actions and have no regrets .

Perhaps many are content to sit and watch the ignorant, or uninformed, cast aside manners and do whatever they wish without any consideration for others...I am not content

Perhaps those of you that state I could have been charged with assault should refresh your memories concerning the definitions of Civil Assault  and Criminal Assault

image.png.33afbf656ac33b198e8945a31f73ab1f.png

6 hours ago, dagger said:

Shouldn't the cabin crew have made sure the iPad was off and stowed. They walk around the cabin checking that tray tables are stowed, seat backs are up, and you are belted in. At that point, you'd think they would tell that woman to stow the electronics as well. 

Tablets can now be used during taxi, takeoff and landing.  They are, however, supposed to be switched to airplane mode as soon as the aircraft door is closed.  

1 hour ago, FA@AC said:

They are, however, supposed to be switched to airplane mode as soon as the aircraft door is closed.  

Which would have negated the FaceTime call?

Whats missing here is, manners, consideration of others and common courtesy. Which seems to be missing in a lot of life these days!

'Nuf said on this subject.............

• 2 weeks later...

Archived